• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers will NOT be on the field for National Anthem.

Newt!! LMAO!

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) fired back at NFL players and owners who objected to Trump's criticism of them kneeling for the national anthem.

He said it was "frustrating" that "millionaires who say they are underprivileged" are able to go about disrespecting our country and its veterans.

"I don't tune in to [sports] to worry about politics," he said.

"I find it very offensive," Gingrich said, adding that he believes kneeling players have sent sports down a slippery slope that will ultimately lead to the anthem no longer being played at games.

"They're not exactly oppressed," he said of people like Colin Kaepernick who refuse to stand for presentations of colors at games.

He said that it is their right to take "all their after-tax income and give it to some left-wing nutcase group," but that the anthem is sacred.

"Don't impose on me your sense of somehow, you feel oppressed," Gingrich said. "If you're a multimillionaire who feels oppressed, you need a therapist [and] not a publicity stunt."

yea, but it's safe to say that Newt is not in touch to WHY the protests are taking place.

It's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever seen in sports. The very fact they did this on foreign soil in a country we fought for independence from is the ultimate slap in the face. They did stand for God save the queen...bless their hearts. King George would be proud of them .

The NFL has gotten my last dime and while I may still watch an occasional game, I will now spend my sports watching time elsewhere where the NFL isn't involved.

This is a good place to start. Grab some beers and some wings, sit back and enjoy. Coming soon to a golf course near you on weekends and holidays.

MW-FJ260_TrumpG_20170329140855_ZH.jpg

Notice how quick the moral midgets go from " I just want to watch football " to "we want to include our brand of social justice into the sport". Trump had nothing to do with this, the left has been after football for a long time , so anyone using Trump as an excuse is just covering for the fact that the Libs want the game to fall into their grasp and control and are using the "hands up-don't shoot" dumbasses to move things along is workin' jus fine.

I've said this before and keep going back because I can't help myself but I'm done ! I'm done arguing with Euro trash Trolls, race baiting progressive militants and Libtard dumb *****. The NFL has gotten my last dime and while I may still watch an occasional game, I will now spend my sports watching time elsewhere where the NFL isn't involved.

Same here. Done. They can have it.

Goodell should cite the rule book and start fining and suspending the kneelers. He needs to do something, quickly, because the NFL may have cut their own throat yesterday. But he won't, because he's a giant *****. After around 40 years of dedicating my Sundays to Steeler games, I might have watched my last one. I'm still deciding.

It's being reported that there is no rule regarding what the players must do during the playing of the National Anthem.

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva became the best-selling player in the NFL by midday Monday.

A spokesman for Fanatics, which runs the NFL's online store, confirmed to ESPN that, over the past 24 hours, more Villanueva gear, including jerseys and name and number T-shirts, has been ordered than that of any other NFL player.

Villanueva beat out New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for the top spot. Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers rounded out the top five over the past day.

It's being reported that there is no rule regarding what the players must do during the playing of the National Anthem.

There's that and there's this:

"President Trump’s recent remarks suggesting NFL team owners should fire players who kneel during the national anthem could be a federal crime.

18 U.S. Code § 227 stipulates that any federal employee, member of Congress, or member of the executive branch is forbidden from using their position within the federal government to influence the employment decisions of a private business, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation. The penalty for doing so could result in fines and incarceration of up to 15 years, and anyone who is found guilty of violating that law could even be disqualified from holding office:

(a)Whoever, being a covered government person, with the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation, an employment decision or employment practice of any private entity—

(1) takes or withholds, or offers or threatens to take or withhold, an official act, or

(2) influences or offers or threatens to influence, the official act of another shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than 15 years, or both, and may be disqualified from holding any office of honour, trust, or profit under the United States.

It’s worth noting that U.S. Code specifies that no federal employee is exempt from the law, including the President of the United States."

So "stand up" needs to be spelled out? Yeah, most of them a dumb, but come on...

Big Ben: Steelers weren't trying to disrespect the troops
Ben Roethlisberger addressed the Steelers' decision to not take the field for the National Anthem.

Bryan DeArdo - 17 minutes ago 1
Ben Roethlisberger addressed the Steelers' decision to not take the field for the National Anthem on Sunday while making it clear that he and his teammates were not trying to upset anyone associated with the nation's military.

"By no means, no way, shape or form, was there any disrespect intended for our troops and people that serve this country," Roethlisberger said following Pittsburgh's 23-17 loss to the Bears. "We all have the upmost respect for them, obviously. They give us the freedom to play this game."

Roethlisberger was asked how the team came about coming to that decision.

"Last night, obviously with all the issues going on, if you will, we had a players’ only meeting after the team meeting last night to discuss what we were going go to do," he said. "We knew some guys wanted to take a knee, some guys wanted to stand. We said whatever we do, we need to make sure we stay unified as one group, because that’s what we’re about and that’s what we should be about, being together and staying together one unit, one brotherhood.

"So instead of having some guys kneel and some guys stand, the conclusion was made by everybody to stay in the locker room, stay in the tunnel, if you will, and show our respect that way."

Big Ben was also asked if anyone took offense to Alejandro Villanueva -- a military veteran -- and his decision to take the field to stand for the National Anthem.

"No."

Lastly, Roethlisberger was asked if Saturday night's players' only meeting took some of the focus away from the team's preparation for Sunday's game in Chicago.

"Probably by lying if I said no a little bit. Obviously a lot going on in the state of the NFL," Roethlisberger said. "We can’t make excuses. I need to play better football."

May not have "intended", but damn sure was PERCEIVED as such. These people need to think things through before doing anything.

yea, but it's safe to say that Newt is not in touch to WHY the protests are taking place.

Based on a false narrative lied about and sensationalized by the MSM arm of the DNC and our former racist race baiting President Obama. I think he probably understands that.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My grandpa is a 97 year-old WWII vet & Missouri farmer who wanted to join w/ those who <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TakeaKnee?src=hash">#TakeaKnee</a>: "those kids have every right to protest." <a href="https://t.co/LurCj7SLUB">pic.twitter.com/LurCj7SLUB</a></p>— Brennan Gilmore (@brennanmgilmore) <a href="https://twitter.com/brennanmgilmore/status/911960316220764160">September 24, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No one said they didn't have a right!!!! Hello McFly.

Notice how quick the moral midgets go from " I just want to watch football " to "we want to include our brand of social justice into the sport". Trump had nothing to do with this

Where the **** do you get that? I've stated I think the protests are preposterous and misplaced. Regardless, it's obvious Trump had everything to do with what happened yesterday and he had no right being critical of players disrespecting the flag when he openly mocked the military service of POWs! He has no right telling NFL owners what they should do when he told Obama that the POTUS shouldn't do that very thing.

In their own words: NFL players on the real meaning of the protests

https://thinkprogress.org/protests-own-words-c9c9825b3b24/

DeShone Kizer, Cleveland Browns quarterback: ‘[T]he ultimate goal is … to bring attention to the inequalities that are out there in our country.’

DeShone Kizer might be a rookie, but the Browns quarterback isn’t afraid to speak up against social injustice.

“I know for a fact that I’m no son of a *****, and I plan on continuing forward and doing whatever I can from my position to promote the equality that’s needed in this country,” Kizer told reporters.

“I think the first thing happened with Colin (Kaepernick), that was the ultimate goal, is to be able to use our platform as a league to bring attention to the inequalities that are out there in our country and as we continue to move forward, and the conversation continues to grow, I think we’re doing our job in terms of bringing the recognition to that.”

Malcolm Jenkins, Philadelphia Eagles safety: ‘It’s really about effecting change in our communities.’

Malcolm Jenkins has been protesting all season by raising his first, and that continued on Sunday, though this time he was joined by more of his teammates. He compared Trump to a social media troll, and told reporters that he is focused on enacting real change on the ground.

“I know there are multiple guys who have been behind the scenes doing work. Hopefully, we can continue to highlight that and hopefully, it’s not a one-week thing. We also know it’s not about the protest, it’s not about the national anthem. It’s really about effecting change in our communities,” Jenkins said.

“Hopefully, just like today was a collaborative effort of everybody pulling their resources to send messages and to bring people together, hopefully, that can continue on a micro level in each NFL city, each community and we can really break some walls down and makes some changes.”

Michael Thomas, Miami Dolphins safety: ‘As somebody in the NFL who is one of those ‘sons of *******,’ yeah, I take it personally.’ Michael Thomas got visibly emotional after the game when talking about why he wore an #ImWithKaep shirt during warmups and linked arms with his teammates during the national anthem.

“As somebody in the NFL who is one of those ‘sons of *******’,” Thomas continued, “Yeah I take it personally. But it’s bigger than me. I’ve got a daughter. She’s going to have to live in this world. I’m going to do whatever I’ve got to do.”

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dolphins safety Michael Thomas started breaking up when talking about Trump calling him "a son of a b!tch." <a href="https://t.co/Z4wroPcvzW">pic.twitter.com/Z4wroPcvzW</a></p>— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) <a href="https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/912050451041984513">September 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

Seattle Seahawks: ‘We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country.’

Many teams issued lukewarm statements to talk about why they participated in the anthem protests, but the Seahawks got right to the point and addressed the real issues at hand.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/GUhG3PB0fJ">pic.twitter.com/GUhG3PB0fJ</a></p>— Seattle Seahawks (@seahawksPR) <a href="https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/912038744408166401">September 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

Damon Harrison, defensive tackle for the New York Giants: ‘What good is the American dream if my sons and daughters aren’t respected or even alive to enjoy it?’

Damon Harrison was one of three Giants players to take a knee for the first time this week. After the game he posted an explanation for his decision on social media.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Took a knee with my hand over my heart to respect the men & women of service, past & present. Also with the realities of America in mind. <a href="https://t.co/c4NqPUteO0">pic.twitter.com/c4NqPUteO0</a></p>— Damon Harrison (@BigDame900) <a href="https://twitter.com/BigDame900/status/912071138532093952">September 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

Martellus Bennett, Green Bay Packers tight end: ‘I do not have a master and neither does my mother.’

Bennett is the brother of Michael Bennett, the Seattle Seahawks defensive end who alleges he was the victim of police brutality in Las Vegas this summer. Michael has been sitting out during the anthem since the start of the year. Martellus had previously raised his fist during the anthem, but this week he remained seated

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The idea of <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump">@realDonaldTrump</a> thinking that suggesting firing me from football, confirms that he thinks that it's all I can do as a Black man</p>— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) <a href="https://twitter.com/MartysaurusRex/status/911690387089186817">September 23, 2017</a></blockquote>

Donald Penn, Oakland Raiders left tackle: ‘Instead of trying to find ways to fix the problem, he’s always talking about the problem, demeaning the problem.’

Penn was one of many Oakland Raiders players to take a knee on Sunday night during the national anthem. He predicted correctly that Trump’s inflammatory comments would lead to a new wave of protests in the NFL.

“It’s very disheartening, President Trump’s comments,” Penn told NBC Saturday night. “For him to be — supposed to be — the leader of our country, instead of trying to find ways to fix the problem, he’s always talking about the problem, demeaning the problem. I just wish there was a better way that we could handle this and I think it’s going to start a domino effect. I think it’s going to start a lot more protests, a lot more guys are going to start taking knees, a lot more guys aren’t going to stand for the National Anthem because he’s basically calling us out.”

These morons are not battling a "Rights" issue, they are fighting an uphill battle against "Perception".

If they would just pivot away from the flag issue and get to their real point, more people would join them, I sure as hell would. I just can not join them in this form, any more than AV did yesterday.

I'll bet this is what a lot of African American players were thinking this weekend, after hearing the President's incendiary comments.

21767974_10156200051576151_1892866640793598383_n.jpg

Those idiots still believe the false narrative of "hands up, don't shoot" and the baby pic of Trayngel. This is going to be a financial disaster for the NFL if they don't put a stop to the protests. They are chasing off the base that supports them financially. I don't think Stub Hub takes EBT cards.

you have a good point, Tibs and very true. Now, change that cartoon of a casket with the American Flag draped or folded on it to see the other side. It goes both ways and why I think the platform needs to be reconsidered. Anyone can speak up and out, but this one particular forum is not helping their cause. Too many people are offended on each side of the aisle. Granted, Trump certainly did not have to throw gasoline on the fire and he ignited a firebomb.

Great read.

Cassidy-Dignified-Day-Protest-Against-Undignified-President.jpg

A Dignified Day of Protest Against a Most Shameful President
https://www.newyorker.com/news/john...st-undignified-president?mbid=social_facebook

Sunday was “an N.F.L. day the likes of which we have never seen before,” as Mike Tirico, the co-host of “NBC Sunday Night Football,” put it. Never before has there been a protest of this sort against the inflammatory remarks of a sitting President. The sight of so many huge men kneeling, sitting, and linking arms spoke volumes. My colleagues Jelani Cobb and Doreen St. Félix have written eloquently about the meaning and historical context of the protests. It is also worth listening to what the players, coaches, and owners said about the ideas animating the day. Their words—thoughtful, articulate, and uplifting—stand in stark contrast to Donald Trump, who, on Friday, called on the N.F.L.’s team owners to fire the “sons of *******” who took a knee during the national anthem.

“I’ve been in the league a little while, and I know the players in this league,” Jim Caldwell, the sixty-two-year-old coach of the Detroit Lions, said on Sunday, after his team lost a home game to the Atlanta Falcons. “There are no S.O.B.’s in this league. These are men that work hard, of integrity, they’re involved in our communities. They’re fathers, they’re brothers, and their mothers aren’t what [Trump] said they were. And our guys, just like anything else, believe in unity, civility, and also the First Amendment rights to peaceful expression and freedom of speech.” One of Caldwell’s players, Akeem Spence, put things more succinctly: “Right is right, wrong is wrong—and it was wrong. So we came together and just made a statement.”

Sean Payton, the coach of the New Orleans Saints, questioned whether Trump was up to the job of President. “I think we need a little bit more wisdom in that office,” he said after his team’s victory over the Carolina Panthers. “That’s being a little blunt, but that’s how I feel. You know, I want that guy to be one of the smarter guys in the room. And it seems like every time he’s opening his mouth, it’s something that is dividing our country and not pulling us together.”

While many players and coaches focussed their comments on Trump, some of them also referred directly to the issue that last year prompted Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback, to begin kneeling during the anthem: racial inequality and oppression. “As a team, we have decided we will not participate in the national anthem,” the Seattle Seahawks, who on Sunday stayed in their locker room during the pregame ceremonies at Nissan Stadium, in Nashville, said in a statement. “We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country. Out of love for our country and in honor of the sacrifices made on our behalf, we unite to oppose those who would deny our basic freedoms. We remain committed in continuing to work towards equality and justice for all.”

Watching on television, it seemed like practically all of the players who knelt during the national anthem on Sunday were black. But many of the white stars of the league, such as Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, linked arms with their teammates in solidarity. “I certainly disagree with what [Trump] said. I thought it was just divisive,” Brady, the quarterback of the New England Patriots, who is a friend of Trump’s, said in an interview on Monday morning. “I believe in bringing people together and respect and love and trust. Those are the values that my parents instilled in me.” Asked if he had heard the boos from some members of the crowd at Foxborough, Brady acknowledged that he had. “If you don’t agree, that is fine,” he said. “You can voice your disagreement, I think that is great. It’s part of our democracy. As long as it is done in a peaceful, respectful way, that is what our country has been all about.”

The protest extended beyond players: some team owners joined in, including Shad Khan, of the Jaguars; Daniel Snyder, of the Redskins; and Christopher Johnson, the acting owner of the New York Jets. Notably, Khan and Snyder both donated money to Trump’s election campaign; the full-time owner of the Jets, Woody Johnson, is Trump’s Ambassador to London. Perhaps the most surprising rebuke of the President came from his friend Robert Kraft, the owner of the Patriots. “I am deeply disappointed by the tone of the comments made by the President on Friday,” Kraft said in a statement. “There is no greater unifier in this country than sports, and unfortunately, nothing more divisive than politics. I think our political leaders could learn a lot from the lessons of teamwork and the importance of working together toward a common goal. Our players are intelligent, thoughtful and care deeply about our community and I support their right to peacefully affect social change and raise awareness in a manner that they feel is most impactful.”

Among the most powerful comments came in a postgame interview with Mike Tomlin, of the Steelers, who, in 2007, became the tenth African-American head coach in the N.F.L., and who, in 2008, became the youngest head coach to lead his team to the lwoB repuS. “They were not going to be disrespectful to the anthem but at the same time many of them were not going to accept the words of the President,” Tomlin said, in explaining why almost his entire team had chosen to stay in the locker room before the game.

“To be quite honest with you, I didn’t appreciate our football team being dragged into politics this weekend, and I’m sure that’s a global perspective,” Tomlin said. “But we are blessed to do this for a living, and so with the blessing comes responsibility. We understand that. We understand that we are given a platform that is a unique one.” Anybody that is involved with football also has a high level of tolerance and understanding, Tomlin added. “We feel bad for people that aren’t involved in football, that don’t get an opportunity to have a brother that’s very different to him next to him that he has to rely on, so you gain understanding.”

“We will not be divided by this,” Tomlin went on. “We’ve got a group of men in there, man, that come from different social, economic backgrounds, races, creeds, ethnicities, religions, and so forth. That’s football. That’s a lot of team sports. But because of our position we get dragged into politics . . . and so, some have opinions. Some don’t. We wanted to protect those that don’t. We wanted to protect those that do. We came to play a football game here today, and that was our intention.”

Tomlin and the rest of the coaches and players in the N.F.L. played more than a dozen football games on Sunday. But they also did much more than that.

Those idiots still believe the false narrative of "hands up, don't shoot" and the baby pic of Trayngel. This is going to be a financial disaster for the NFL if they don't put a stop to the protests. They are chasing off the base that supports them financially. I don't think Stub Hub takes EBT cards.

You sure about that? How else are these mouth-breathing idiots paying for their Nascar tickets and cans of skoal?

Haha. I still cant believe how active the Politic & Religion segment is on a SPORTS forum.

You sure about that? How else are these mouth-breathing idiots paying for their Nascar tickets and cans of skoal?

Haha. I still cant believe how active the Politic & Religion segment is on a SPORTS forum.

And here you are making a racist comment.

He said "Well of course they would. You should show a side by side picture of their roster vs the Warriors."

I don't know about you, but I don't think that you can tell someone is Canadian by looking at a picture. Pretty sure he meant that they are going because they are white.

Noting that someone is white is not the same as calling them a racist. So I don't know where you got that from.

Tomlin is a piece of ****. Art Sr. would roll over in his grave if he saw what a liberal panty waste team his organization has turned into. Led by a soft dumbass coach who has no clue what he's doing and who can't even speak right.

U Mad?

obamarooney.png

In their own words: NFL players on the real meaning of the protests

https://thinkprogress.org/protests-own-words-c9c9825b3b24/

So nothing concrete, just general stuff about inequality.

what am I supposed to do about it? I don't believe there is any systemic inequality. Sure, there will always be isolated cases, but it is not the norm. These protesters would have us believe that it is the norm for black people to be shot. It's not. I reject that false premise. You can protest all you like. It won't make me believe this is the 1920s again.