• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

steelerscotty's all time 53-man Steeler squad

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been working on this for awhile. The recent debate on who is the 3rd greatest Steeler QB of all time has motivated me to post this as is.

Keep in my mind, this is just my opinion. Im sure some will want to argue over some of my choices, no worries, we all have our own opinions! Sorry in advance for any speeling errors (catch that? lol) etc. All facts i tried to verify by using multiple web sites here are some, no guarantee the links will work:

http://www.steelersfever.com/pro_bowl.html
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2007/10/25/101126/61
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/all-pros.htm

SB=superbowl appearances, PB=probowls, AP=allpro, HOF=hall of famer, 75=voted to 75th ann. team, S=team mvp, D=defensive player of the year, R=rookie of the year, MVP=NFL MVP.

Head Coach: Chuck Noll.

QB’S (2): This was by far the easiest position to fill; the only debate was whether to keep 2 or 3 . . .I went with 2. I figure Hines Ward can be the emergency qb.

1. Ben Roethlisberger. SB(3), PB(3), S, R. Holds most steeler passing records and a couple NFL ones too. Future HOFer.
2. Terry Bradshaw. HOF, SB(4), AP(1), PB(3), S(2), 75, MVP 2 time SB MVP and 1st QB to win 4 SB’s.
Also considered: Bobby Layne, Earl Morrel. Jim Finks, Kordell Stewart, Neil O’Donnell.

RB’S (5): 1st 4 are easy. That 5th spot, though, 4 guys you could make a good argument for. Bell PROBABLY will take Rock's place one day, but lets wait and see if he can perform at a high level over a period of time. I remember once upon a time when a guy named Barry Foster was probably gonna be the next great Steeler running back. A strong argument can be made for Fast Willie Parker also.

3. Franco Harris. HOF, SB(4), AP(1), PB(9), S, R, 75. SB MVP, would make this list for the immaculate reception alone.
4. Jerome Bettis. HOF, SB(1), AP(1), PB(4), S(3) 75. Da Bus!
5. John Henry Johnson. HOF, PB(3). Played for 5 teams but spent 6 years in Pittsburgh and made all his pro bowls from here.
6. Bill Dudley. HOF, AP(1), PB(1). One of the best HB-option passers to play the game. His 3 years with the Steelers interrupted by service in WWII. 1st Steeler in HOF.
7. Rocky Bleir. SB(4), 75. He would be this teams special teams ace.
Also considered: Dick Hoak, Willie Parker, Johnny “Blood” McNally. LeVeon Bell.

Ends/Receivers (8): I included TE’s here. This position has evolved probably the most over the course of NFL history.

8. Hines Ward. SB(3), PB(4), S(3), 75. SBMVP. Probable HOF’er might have to wait awhile. Best blocking WR to ever play the game, they had to change the rules because of his devastating hits.
9. John Stallworth. HOF, SB(4), AP(1), PB(3), S(2), 75. Mr. consistency.
10. Antonio Brown. SB(1), AP(1), PB(3), S(2). He is already breaking Steeler records and has same amount of AP’s and PB’s as Stallworth and Swann. Only thing missing is a ring.
11. Lynn Swan. HOF, SB(4), AP(1), PB(3), 75. SBMVP. Doesn’t have huge stats but is a great example of how we should look at more than stats when judging a career.
12. Heath Miller. SB(3), PB(2), S. Too bad guys like this rarely get into the hall. Best ALL-AROUND TE of his time.
13. Elbie Nickel. PB(3) 75. Was a pass caching TE way ahead of his time. Played both ways, DE on defense.
14. Louis Lipps. PB(2), S(2), R. Was also a good return man. A talent that went mostly un-noticed outside of Pittsburgh in the 80’s.
15. Buddy Dial. PB(2). Bobby Layne’s favorite target.
Also considered: Roy Jefferson, Ron Shanklin, Bennie Cunningham, Yancey Thigpin.

OLINE: (10): I didn’t try to keep any certain number by position. Most of these guys are/were talented enough to play multiple positions. It’s amazing how strong we’ve been on the interior of the line. While we have had some decent T’s it seems we have never really had that all-world OT. The best one we’ve ever had played in the 50’s and one was converted from TE. How did Jon Kolb never make a pro bowl?

16. Mike Webster. HOF, SB(4), AP(5), PB(9), 75. One of the best O-lineman to ever play the game.
17. Dermonti Dawson. HOF, SB(1), AP(6), PB(7), 75. Another Steeler who revolutionized the game as the first "pulling" center.
18. Alan Faneca. SB(2), AP(6), PB(7), 75. Probably the best bet as next Steeler to the HOF.
19. Frank Varrichione. PB(5). Played 6 years for Steelers, 5 with rams. 4 PB’s came with the Steelers. My guess is that he finished his career elsewhere is why he wasn’t named to the 75th anniversary team.
20. Tunch Ilkin. PB(2), 75. Underrated and undersized but very effective. Sound like a certain LT currently on our roster?
21. Jon Kolb. SB(4),75. Won world’s strongest man competition twice. Wikepedia says he was “NEA allpro 1979” but the main site I used as a reference doesn’t list him as ever being an all-pro.
22. Ray Mansfield. SB(2), 75. Known as the Ranger, one of the few that Noll kept as he built the dynasty.
23. Larry Brown. SB(4), PB(1), 75. Played 1st half of his career as a TE, then became a PB Tackle. Would make a great "move" tackle on this team.
24. Markice Pouncey. SB(1), AP(2), PB(4). I know a lot of fans think he’s over-rated but look at what he has accomplished in just a few years. He could easily play another 10 years and move way up this list.
25. Byron Gentry. AP(1), PB(2). This is my nod to the Pittsburgh Football Pirates of the 30’s.
Also considered: John Jackson, Charley Bradshaw, Bill Walsh(no, not THAT one), Jeff Hartings, John Nisby, Marvel Smith.

K (1): My Favorite was always Norm Johnson (NORRRRRRMMMMMM!) But the choice here is clear.
26. Gary Anderson. AP(2), PB(4), S, 75. Should get a HOF nod someday.

DLINE (8): As with the oline I didn’t try to have x number of ends and y number of tackles. Just went with the best 8. Hardest decision was Ernie Holmes. Was he overlooked because of his line mates or did playing on THAT line make him look better than he was? In the end I went with 2 guys from the 50’s and 60’s who were pro-bowlers on some bad teams.

27. Mean Joe Greene. HOF, SB(4),AP(5), PB(10), 75, D(2), S, R. Only second Steeler to have his jersey number retired. Star of one of the most iconic commercials ever made. Owns all 6 super bowl rings (2 as a scout).
28. Ernie Stautner. HOF, AP(1), PB(9), 75. 1st Steeler to have his jersey number retired.
29. Casey Hampton. SB(3), PB(5), S, 75. Big snack probably will never be considered for the HOF, and that’s a crying shame.
30. Dwight White. SB(4), PB(2), 75. Along with LC and Donnie Shell, should be in the HOF except for anti-steeler bias towards 70’s steelers by voters. Why should there be a cap on greatness?
31. LC Greenwood. SB(4), AP(2), PB(6), 75. See above.
32. Aaron Smith. SB(3), PB(1). His greatness has been overlooked, even by the Steelers as he was omitted from the 75th anniversary team. Like Hampton, it’s a shame he never got the recognition he deserved, which will keep him out of the HOF.
33. Bill McPeak. PB(3). Defensive mainstay of the 50’s. Was a long time scout and coach in the NFL until his death.
34. Ben McGee. PB(2). Was a great player on some very bad Steeler teams of the late 60’s.
Also considered: Brett Keisel, Joel Steed, Ernie Holmes.

LBS (11): Hardest position of all. Whom do you leave out? The guy that holds a bunch of records (Gildon)? One of the best edge-rushers of all-time that was only a Steeler for a short while (Greene)? Or one of the little known guys pre-sb era? As a rule I have not included players that played the majority of their careers elsewhere (Blood, Layne etc.), but did give a nod to a few as honorable mentions. In this case the exception to the rule is Kevin Greene. I watched Gildon his entire career and, quite frankly, he was just not that impressive. I gave the nod to two old-school cats in the end.

35. Jack Lambert. HOF, SB(4), AP(6), PB(9), S(2), R, 75, D. Even late in his career the toothless menace was still bad enough to scare a rookie named John Elway enough that he considered quitting football. He and Franco should have their jerseys retired.
36. Jack Ham. HOF, SB(4), AP(6), PB(8), 75. Probably the best all- around 4-3 OLB to ever play the game.
37. James Harrison. SB(3), AP(2), PB(5), S(2), D. Made the greatest play in super bowl history. Who can forget his tackle of the idiot stains fan? Another long shot to get into the HOF.
38. Greg Lloyd. SB(1), AP(3), PB(5), S(2), 75. No one hit harder than #95.
39. Joey Porter. SB(1), AP(4), PB(4), S, 75. One of the few who played at a high level after leaving the ‘Burgh.
40. James Farrior. SB(3), AP(2), PB(2), S. One site lists him as AP once, his Wikipedia page says twice. Either way “Potsy” is arguably the best FA signing in Steeler history.
41. Andy Russell. SB(2), AP(1), PB(7), S, 75. One of the few to see the glory of the super bowl after surviving Nolls cuts of the 60’s players.
42. Kevin Greene. SB(1), AP(3), PB(5). Drove a tank in Desert Storm. Should be in the HOF soon, I hope he chooses to go in as a Steeler.
43. Mike Merriweather. PB(3), S. Wikapedia says he was AP 3 times. Not sure if that is accurate but he was a great player from the 80’s. If not for the holdout and trade he might be viewed differently by fans.
44. John Reger. PB(3). Also played guard some. Steeler in late 50’s and early 60’s, he finished his career with the Redskins.
45. Jerry Shipkey. AP(2), PB(3). 1948-1952. He also played FB and some DB.
Also considered: Earl Holmes, Jason Gildon, Chad Brown, Myron Puttios, LeVon Kirkland, Dale Dodrill.

DB’S (8): Lots to choose from here too. If Ike could have caught HALF the balls that bounced off his hands he might be a HOFer. Sadly, people have already forgotten how good he was in coverage. He shut down just about everyone he faced, starting after Cowher benched him in ’06 until the Denver playoff fiasco vs Tebow.

46. Mel Blount. HOF, SB(4), AP(2), PB(5), S, 75, D. Modern passing rules were started because Blount was so physical with recievers. They changed they rules, he adapted, and continued to be one of the most dominant corners of his time.
47. Rod Woodson. HOF, SB(3), AP(6), PB(11), S(3), 75, D. Woody and AB would be my return guys on this team.
48. Jack Butler. HOF, AP(3), PB(4), 75. Took him awhile to get in but the HOF finally did right in 2012. He was born in Pittsburgh, played at St. Bon and was a Steeler his whole playing career.
49. Mike Wagner. SB(4), PB(2). Probably the most under-rated player from the steel-curtain dynasty defense.
50. Troy Palomalu. SB(3), AP(4), PB(8), S, 75, D. I consider he and Ben the 2 current players that are locks to be in HOF someday. (note: first draft of this was written before Troy retired).
51. Donnie Shell. SB(4), AP(3), PB(5), S, 75. Needs to be in the HOF, PERIOD.
52. Carnell Lake. SB(1), AP(1), PB(5), 75. Who can forget the lake effect?
53. Glenn Edwards. SB(2), AP(1), PB(2), S. Finished his career with the Chargers.
Also considered: Ike Taylor, JT Thomas, Dwayne Woodruff, Ricardo Colclough . . .just kidding! lol seeing who is really paying attention!

I chose not to include a punter. I figure this team wouldn’t really punt that often and, if they did, Big Ben has done enough pooch punting to fill the bill. Either that or piss off Mean Joe and have him take it out on the football. There is only one Steeler punter to ever make the pro bowl anyways . . .
Also considered: Bobby Walden.

Honorable Mention: Byron “Whizzer” White. His big money contract (he was paid THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!) was nearly scandalous for the time. Left the Pirates (steelers) to become a Rhoades scholar. Played 2 more years for Detroit then served in the Navy during WWII. Became an Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court. . .Moving on with your life’s work INDEED!

Last edited:
I'm not one for 30s-60s nostalgia. The game was a part time game that you played when you weren't doing your full time job. It wasn't a year round sport and there were no training or dietary regimens set up. Players were undersized and slower than they are today. They relied on talent over preparation. There was no film study by the players, unless it was in a team setting. There are some players who were monsters for that era and could have competed in any era: Jim Brown, Ernie Stautner, Night Train Lane, LeBeau... But if you see a guy that's Kirkland's size and speed and you throw him on a team from the 40s, 50s, or 60s he'd be an absolute monster. He'd set records and go down in history as a best ever. This is why it's tough to judge eras effectively.

I know Bullet Bill Dudley and JHJ were decorated, but they had 3,000 and 6000 yards respectively in their career. Fast willie easily gets a nod on my 53 due to his change of pace, and the fact he was undefeated as a starter in the playoffs. I'd also have to take Bell over both of these guys. With this talent on the field, his ability to catch and run makes him the prime 3rd down back on this roster.

I'd want the Steel Curtain intact on my team so Ernie Holmes gets the nod over McGee

LBs are the toughest. I'd have Gilden, Chad Brown, and Kirkland over Merriweather, Reger and Shipkey.

I'd cut Buddy Dial and Carry an extra DB being Ike Taylor. Way better talent exchange, plus Ike was a great gunner on ST.

Byron Gentry would also be a last man cut for Wagner. There's an off chance we'd have to punt, and I'd want our best punter doing it.

Fun read and fun game to play Scotty! Thanks for putting in the time on this one!!

Whizzer White was never Chief Justice.

yeh...well I hear that the "Chief Justice" position was overrated anyway....LOL

Byron White

220px-Justice_White_Official.jpg

Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court

Solid picks. I would keep Merriweather off the list. He really only had one good season with 15 sacks. After that his next best season as a pass rusher was 6 sacks. The man held out under contract and forced a trade. Screw him.

I'd replace Merriweather with a quality DB. Maybe Ike Taylor, or even a great slot guy like Townsend.

Other changes,

1 ) I love Rocky, but Willie Parker brings big time speed to the offense.

2 ) Pouncey is 3rd string behind Webster and Dawson. I move him off the add O'Donnell. Sometimes a 3rd string QB is needed, and if something happened, he's good enough to win with.

Kirkland (and others) before Merriweather. He was a flash in the pan and then forced a trade to Minnesota in a contract dispute.

Merriweather You can be pissed he forced a trade but can't take away how good of a player he was

Last edited:
Harry Nickerson was another excellent linebacker for us

Kirkland:

Awards
Pro Football Hall of Fame 2nd team All-1990s Team
Pro Bowls

First-Team All-Pro

1992 - 2002

Merriweather:

3 probowls.

6 seasons.

And you can call him Gildong all day long.. Facts don't lie,, Has more sacks than all the other greats we have on this list.

Last edited:
Just added team MVP's and Rookie of the year. Initial search didnt find any awards pre late 60's so i think Steelers/NFL didn't have these awards before then.

Kirkland:

Awards
Pro Football Hall of Fame 2nd team All-1990s Team
Pro Bowls

First-Team All-Pro

1992 - 2002

Merriweather:

3 probowls.

6 seasons.

And you can call him Gildong all day long.. Facts don't lie,, Has more sacks than all the other greats we have on this list.

I stated at the top of the post, this is just my opinion. Thank you for yours!

I'd never put Ben above Bradshaw. Bradshaw was an AP, 2 time SB MVP and won 4 SBs. Ben hasn't played great in any SB and has the worst QB performance of any winning QB in a SB and a bunch of losing QBs. I love Ben but he can't touch Bradshaw who shined in SBs and was playing in a day when DBs could take a WRs head off and the QB could be hit a minute after he let the ball go. Passing records mean jack **** IMHO especially in today's NFL when Ryan Tannehill throws for over 4000 yards. Last year 11 Qbs threw for over 4000 yards. It's meaningless now. Hell 22 threw for over 3000 yards. Hoyer only played 14 games and had over 3000 yards. Just makes no sense to compare 2014 QBs to 1970s QBs by yards.

Bradshaw was incredible in the Super Bowls, throwing a key fourth quarter TD pass in each game, having a QB rating of at least a 100 in each game and being the best QB against great teams and great QBs .; Ben as Vader put it so well has been mediocre to poor in a 3 Super Bowls and has never been the best QB in the NFL as Bradshaw was in 1978 through the end of his career. On the biggest stage Bradshaw was head and shoulders the best QB of his era. Would love to have seen any of todays QB start their careers in 1970 on a 1-13 team with the passing rules so tilted to the defense. How many would have been destroyed by the tough love of Noll and the incredible violent 1970s football that Bradshaw struggled to become even a decent QB for the first 5 years of his career. Todays QBs are soft dink and dunkers who are protected by the refs, the league and TV money.

Bradshaw was incredible in the Super Bowls, throwing a key fourth quarter TD pass in each game, having a QB rating of at least a 100 in each game and being the best QB against great teams and great QBs .; Ben as Vader put it so well has been mediocre to poor in a 3 Super Bowls and has never been the best QB in the NFL as Bradshaw was in 1978 through the end of his career. On the biggest stage Bradshaw was head and shoulders the best QB of his era. Would love to have seen any of todays QB start their careers in 1970 on a 1-13 team with the passing rules so tilted to the defense. How many would have been destroyed by the tough love of Noll and the incredible violent 1970s football that Bradshaw struggled to become even a decent QB for the first 5 years of his career. Todays QBs are soft dink and dunkers who are protected by the refs, the league and TV money.

Aikman started 1-15...

Interesting thread. A few thoughts:

I'd eliminate Glen Edwards; he wasn't that good. Taylor or even Woodruff, who was solid but played on some mediocre teams, are more deserving.

Joel Steed should be added to the DL list.

Nice nod to the Pirates of the '30s. But Gentry doesn't belong at the expense of excluding John Jackson.

Bradshaw No.1 QB, BR No. 2. TB had to throw in an era when receivers and QBs weren't protected by the officials/rules like they are now.

Glenn Edwards was an awesome saftey, but he had a drug problem. In light of what was going on with his partner in crime Jefferson street Joe he got a one way ticket out of town. Watch The hit he put on the viks that lead to Blounts pi kong. It signaled to the world the steelers are here and we are going to knock your heads off. He told the viks in the tunnel " buckle up chin straps you're playing the pittsburgh Steelers!" And he proved it on the field. I say thomas Blount Webster Edwards was one of the greatest secondary's of all time.

This thread made me think of something.....back when it was relatively rare the Steelers utilized an O lineman as an eligible receiver and he caught a couple of TD's. Was trying to remember who that was and it seems to me it was maybe Ray Pinney?

I'd never put Ben above Bradshaw. Bradshaw was an AP, 2 time SB MVP and won 4 SBs. Ben hasn't played great in any SB and has the worst QB performance of any winning QB in a SB and a bunch of losing QBs. I love Ben but he can't touch Bradshaw who shined in SBs and was playing in a day when DBs could take a WRs head off and the QB could be hit a minute after he let the ball go. Passing records mean jack **** IMHO especially in today's NFL when Ryan Tannehill throws for over 4000 yards. Last year 11 Qbs threw for over 4000 yards. It's meaningless now. Hell 22 threw for over 3000 yards. Hoyer only played 14 games and had over 3000 yards. Just makes no sense to compare 2014 QBs to 1970s QBs by yards.

I didn't really list in any certain order. The top of the position lists were mostly done off the top of my head, players i could name without any debate as to wether they would be on the team.