• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stupid Tomlin quote

Im gonna slightly defend Tomlin here.. Tomlin's gameplan wasnt horrendous last night.... guys were open on O and dropped the ball or there were bad throws...

The breakdowns on d were execution problems over scheme...

I dont think this game had a lot of coaching blunders... more just the players were, for tge second week in a row, mind you, unfocused

We've had unfocused players for over a decade under Tomlin. It's mindboggling to watch people keep giving him a pass when HE RUNS THE SHOW.

What was he gonna do.... Bench the whole team,save like five guys? Fields wasnt the only issue there
It might demonstrate to the powers that be, that the fish stinks in Denmark

We've had unfocused players for over a decade under Tomlin. It's mindboggling to watch people keep giving him a pass when HE RUNS THE SHOW.
The problem is everyone has extreme takes on him...

He isnt the worse coach in the league.. not by a long shot
He isnt the best.
He is arrogant and stubborn... most coaches are
He isnt a strategic mastermind... but most NFL coaches arent
He has systems and philosophies that he favors too much.. which is true of every coach.

Logically you can look and see that its past time to replace him, but not because he is bad at x's and o's or anything... its just time for fresh strategies...

When extremists overstate the negatives or positives, it takes away from their argument..

Honestly.. I think the Rooneys gave him a ultimatum on this contract.. I think he is under more pressure than the common yinzer thinks.

I think they will let him stay long enough to pass Noll.. but I dont think he is here forever as some do...

I also think if they part ways and he is just in his mid 50's... he will go somewhere else and likely beca better coach there... failure breeds growth

And yet the media seems to love him. Guessing it's because he's a likable guy. Personally I'd choose an ******* that wins over the nice guy that never had a losing season.
He sure didn't seem "likeable" here.

He isnt the best.
He has systems and philosophies that he favors too much.. which is true of every coach.

Logically you can look and see that its past time to replace him, but not because he is bad at x's and o's or anything... its just time for fresh strategies...

When extremists overstate the negatives or positives, it takes away from their argument..

Honestly.. I think the Rooneys gave him a ultimatum on this contract.. I think he is under more pressure than the common yinzer thinks.

I think they will let him stay long enough to pass Noll.. but I dont think he is here forever as some do...

I also think if they part ways and he is just in his mid 50's... he will go somewhere else and likely beca better coach there... failure breeds growth

LOL at being called an extremist after watching a decade of the same stuff and listening to various players even say that we aren't buttoned up. That doesn't fly, sorry. Guy needs to move the hell on. He's wasting our time and money.

He isnt the best.

Thats the way I feel.
No particular reason or reasons to part ways with Tomlin, other than its time.
His 17yr tenure has run its course and maybe it's time for another face with another set of ideas,

Im gonna slightly defend Tomlin here.. Tomlin's gameplan wasnt horrendous last night.... guys were open on O and dropped the ball or there were bad throws...

The breakdowns on d were execution problems over scheme...

I dont think this game had a lot of coaching blunders... more just the players were, for tge second week in a row, mind you, unfocused
The one observation I have is the energy and team swagger. The first few games I was giving the team and coaches full marks for having good energy,swarming to the ball,being more prepared. You could visibly see and feel the difference. Got my hopes up a bit.
Seems the last couple games reality has set in for players and fans.

LOL at being called an extremist after watching a decade of the same stuff and listening to various players even say that we aren't buttoned up. That doesn't fly, sorry. Guy needs to move the hell on. He's wasting our time and money.
I'm not against firing Tomlin but on the flip side the success a new coach has had in turning a team around has been abysmal. Hasn't worked in Chicago, Denver, NY Jets, Raiders, Cleveland, even Dallas where Jones has been looking for a HC that will get them back to the SB. 1996 was a long time ago.

I'm not against firing Tomlin but on the flip side the success a new coach has had in turning a team around has been abysmal. Hasn't worked in Chicago, Denver, NY Jets, Raiders, Cleveland, even Dallas where Jones has been looking for a HC that will get them back to the SB. 1996 was a long time ago.
Well said and that's why Tomlin is still here. We could be much worse off. I just wish there was some way on Game Day the football minds (not me) of this board could telepathically relay to Tomlin what to do in certain situations. And that he would actually do it.

**** Tomlin. He ******* sucks. Anyone who has had their eyes open for the last decade+ knows it.

Detroit says hello.

You just reeled off five **** organizations who couldn't build a championship team if they put Jesus in as the general manager. Jerry Jones is an arrogant ***, landing his hovering penis on the practice field while it was in full swing and he wonders why he can't bring in top coaching talent. No smart man is going to want to coach for an owner who has to insert himself into every facet of the team and who constantly has to show everyone that he's the boss.

Art Rooney is a people person and not a football man, like his namesake (RIP Chief). Dan Rooney turned this team into what it is today, a true football man who developed the culture of God, Family, toughness, and community...a representation of the city and its people.

What we have now is a country club full of back smackers who speak in platitudes with attitudes while nothing is actually done on the field of play.

I'll bet Omar is PISSED that he assembles championship level teams and has to sit there and constantly underachieve. There is no greater frustration than seeing your life's work pissed away by others.

**** Tomlin. He ******* sucks. Anyone who has had their eyes open for the last decade+ knows it.

Thats what they say in Baltimore.

Which brings to mind a good question.
If given the choice of only these four, who would you choose:

Harbaugh
Stefanski
Taylor
Tomlin

I bet if asked to fans of the other AFCN teams, I bet they'd choose Tomlin in a heartbeat.

Harbaugh
Stefanski
Taylor
Tomlin

I bet if asked to fans of the other AFCN teams, I bet they'd choose Tomlin in a heartbeat.
I wouldn’t hire any of those *******.

He's looking for his reason to install Wilson and that fumble is going to be it. I'm actually fine with it if that's his angle as I'm ready to see RW.

You just reeled off five **** organizations who couldn't build a championship team if they put Jesus in as the general manager. Jerry Jones is an arrogant ***, landing his hovering penis on the practice field while it was in full swing and he wonders why he can't bring in top coaching talent. No smart man is going to want to coach for an owner who has to insert himself into every facet of the team and who constantly has to show everyone that he's the boss.

Art Rooney is a people person and not a football man, like his namesake (RIP Chief). Dan Rooney turned this team into what it is today, a true football man who developed the culture of God, Family, toughness, and community...a representation of the city and its people.

What we have now is a country club full of back smackers who speak in platitudes with attitudes while nothing is actually done on the field of play.

I'll bet Omar is PISSED that he assembles championship level teams and has to sit there and constantly underachieve. There is no greater frustration than seeing your life's work pissed away by others.

Good post and I get it. I was fortunate enough to have experienced the glory days.
"Back smackers with attitudes" isn't exclusive to the Steelers. It's the culture. Millionaires who feel entitled rather than feel privileged to be able play in the NFL.

Yeah I reeled off 5 organizations, but had I done some research I may have reeled off more.
Then look at it another way... name the teams have vastly improved other than KC because of a coaching change?

Wait Detroit! Thanks Indy.
After how many firings and hirings though????

Harbaugh
Stefanski
Taylor
Tomlin

Good! Let them!

Eagles moved on from Reid....worked out well for both.

Maybe they could try a two RB scheme when Wilson returns with Harris and Fields in the backfield. That would likely cause problems for opposing defenses.

Fixing the defense is going to be the difficult task.

Washington has also.

But 1991 was a really long time ago too.
Except that since 2010 they've had 5 head coaches, none of them lasting more than 3 years.

Do we want that?

So in a way my point still stands, no immediate improvement....but in another way there was an immediate improvement in the last hire.

Here is Tomlin's coaching (the good and ugly): 1) When the odds are against us, when the other team is favored, Tomlin lifts the team somehow and turns out some solid, surprising wins against top competition; and 2) When it is a game we should win, the odds and universe are in our favor, Tomlin drags this team to depths mankind has not seen and the team craps the bed like the coaches and players all drank discount prune juice by the gallon.