• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stupid Tomlin quote

I'm not against firing Tomlin but on the flip side the success a new coach has had in turning a team around has been abysmal. Hasn't worked in Chicago, Denver, NY Jets, Raiders, Cleveland, even Dallas where Jones has been looking for a HC that will get them back to the SB. 1996 was a long time ago.
I think we have the upper hand here. Any coach wants to coach the Steelers. It's a dream job, unlike the Stains, etc., where your job is easily, quickly disposable. Here, you can be middle of the road and stay forever. So, we can pick the best of the best.

It's like the good looking QB in college. He can pick the best chick because of what he offers. All the ladies want him. The stress is on him to land the best. We are that guy. Even Tomlin called it the best job in all sports. He was right there.

Tomlin is an above average Head Coach. His time has passed, sometimes you just need change for a jump start.

Just like last night when Allen came into the game and made that pass. That was a shot across Fields’ bow. You know damn well that Fields in that moment knew he needed to play better, and he did, for a few plays. After a few plays you could see the change back to thinking “I’m good”, and his play went right back to being below the line. Fields is in the same situation as Pickett was, he has nobody challenging him. Wilson is not currently a threat, due to injury, and Allen is not because of his pedigree. If I was the HC, when Fields reverted after the spell by Allen, I would have pulled him and given Allen the rest of the game. This tends to light a fire under players, and Fields would have been told to earn the job back next week. I’m not saying I think Allen is better, just that too much has been handed to Fields this year without earning it.

The problem is everyone has extreme takes on him...

He isnt the worse coach in the league.. not by a long shot
He isnt the best.
He is arrogant and stubborn... most coaches are
He isnt a strategic mastermind... but most NFL coaches arent
He has systems and philosophies that he favors too much.. which is true of every coach.

Logically you can look and see that its past time to replace him, but not because he is bad at x's and o's or anything... its just time for fresh strategies...

When extremists overstate the negatives or positives, it takes away from their argument..

Honestly.. I think the Rooneys gave him a ultimatum on this contract.. I think he is under more pressure than the common yinzer thinks.

I think they will let him stay long enough to pass Noll.. but I dont think he is here forever as some do...

I also think if they part ways and he is just in his mid 50's... he will go somewhere else and likely beca better coach there... failure breeds growth
“We have to play simple defense. We have a lot of talent in the secondary, a lot of guys who can play man and play zone. We just have to make a play call, simplify it and it will allow us to play fast. We have to make sure everyone knows what they’re doing and everyone is on the same page. It’s a new secondary, a lot of new faces, younger faces. We might not have that chemistry we’ve had in the past, but it’s something we have to work on.” Minkah

Maybe it's because he is too smart. Even if you're the smartest guy in the room if you can't get everyone else to understand what you are trying to do where they can accomplish what you want, you'll be dysfunctional. To me, that's how we look.

The past two games, the Steelers are making wine you drink out of a paper carton
The vast majority of wine you get out of a cardboard box is vastly superior to what they have show us the last 2 weeks.

Thats the way I feel.
No particular reason or reasons to part ways with Tomlin, other than its time.
His 17yr tenure has run its course and maybe it's time for another face with another set of ideas,
Exactly. This is what I always say to the inevitable " Who are you going to get that's better?" question that comes my way. It's not about better, it's about different. You can get a guy that can produce the same slightly above .500 record but, maybe has a chance to get somewhere in the future.

And that " Never a losing season" stuff....how much did Ben have to do with carrying this team for how many of those seasons?

Maybe they could try a two RB scheme when Wilson returns with Harris and Fields in the backfield. That would likely cause problems for opposing defenses.

Fixing the defense is going to be the difficult task.
While I agree with you, do you really think Fields will accept that situation? Yeah, about a 0% chance.

Not wanting to start a new thread just for this, but while that was a stupid quote.... this one is a gem of stupidity or B.S.
So he says he benched Pickens because he wanted to see what he could do with Miller and Jefferson......LOL....you bench your best offensive player to experiment? He wanted to "rep manage."....LOL.

Pickens is in the dog house and is probably going to be AB style trouble in the future is my guess. Tomlin just can't say that publicly of course.

I never thought in a million years I would be okay NOT watching a steeler game, but some how I find myself in that position. There was a time that one of the only things that could get me to take a day off work was a steerler game.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome. That exactly sums up this team for at least the past decade. I don't even get upset anymore. this is the team that we have and will have for the foreseeable future.

I was Blessed to have lived through the 70's steelers and the Big Ben led steelers so I have resigned myself that that is gonna have to be enough as long as Mike T is allowed to remain the head coach. I am not in the I hate Tomlin group I just think people can get to comfortable in their surroundings and this is where were are with Tomlin.

Is Tomlin a good coach? hell I don't know I guess that depends on who you compare him to. I do know this, I don't believe we ever sniff another SB while he is still here.

I never thought in a million years I would be okay NOT watching a steeler game, but some how I find myself in that position. There was a time that one of the only things that could get me to take a day off work was a steerler game.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different outcome. That exactly sums up this team for at least the past decade. I don't even get upset anymore. this is the team that we have and will have for the foreseeable future.

I was Blessed to have lived through the 70's steelers and the Big Ben led steelers so I have resigned myself that that is gonna have to be enough as long as Mike T is allowed to remain the head coach. I am not in the I hate Tomlin group I just think people can get to comfortable in their surroundings and this is where were are with Tomlin.

Is Tomlin a good coach? hell I don't know I guess that depends on who you compare him to. I do know this, I don't believe we ever sniff another SB while he is still here.
I won't say I hate Tomlin. I can't say I hate anyone.....just tired of his act. Of course if you mention this some here label you a Tomlin "hater". It is what it is I guess.

Except that since 2010 they've had 5 head coaches, none of them lasting more than 3 years.

Do we want that?

So in a way my point still stands, no immediate improvement....but in another way there was an immediate improvement in the last hire.

I get your point, nor am I disagreeing or trying to argue. Just playing devils advocate. Darn near every team that has turned a corner did so through coaching changes.

Stale, tenured coaches don't suffer through 'average' for a 5-7 years then suddenly find the light and begin winning.

I believe the Peter Principle applies to most of them.

The Peter principle is a concept which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent.

Tomlin has risen to his level of incompetence. He's a good coach. He won't ever be great. And what we have seen for the past decade will absolutely be the norm going forward if he remains in his seat.

The problem is everyone has extreme takes on him...

He isnt the worse coach in the league.. not by a long shot
He isnt the best.
He is arrogant and stubborn... most coaches are
He isnt a strategic mastermind... but most NFL coaches arent
He has systems and philosophies that he favors too much.. which is true of every coach.

Logically you can look and see that its past time to replace him, but not because he is bad at x's and o's or anything... its just time for fresh strategies...

When extremists overstate the negatives or positives, it takes away from their argument..

Honestly.. I think the Rooneys gave him a ultimatum on this contract.. I think he is under more pressure than the common yinzer thinks.

I think they will let him stay long enough to pass Noll.. but I dont think he is here forever as some do...

I also think if they part ways and he is just in his mid 50's... he will go somewhere else and likely beca better coach there... failure breeds growth
It’s not even a Tomlin issue anymore
It’s a Rooney issue

They made a rule and will stand by their dude forever. This year should’ve been the ultimatum year and resigning him only a product of some playoff success this year.

Alas they just hand him more years without proving he can still be relevant without a HOF QB.

He is firmly entrenched as long as he wants the job, screw what the fans see and think.

But similar to when a player is drafted too early the fans get mad at said player instead of those who over drafted the player, it is easier for fans to direct their angst at the easy target on the sidelines over the ones that brought/keep him here.

It’s not even a Tomlin issue anymore
It’s a Rooney issue

They made a rule and will stand by their dude forever. This year should’ve been the ultimatum year and resigning him only a product of some playoff success this year.

Alas they just hand him more years without proving he can still be relevant without a HOF QB.

He is firmly entrenched as long as he wants the job, screw what the fans see and think.

But similar to when a player is drafted too early the fans get mad at said player instead of those who over drafted the player, it is easier for fans to direct their angst at the easy target on the sidelines over the ones that brought/keep him here.
If he limps into the playoffs again and gets slobberknockered - again - his job isn't secured, no matter what you tell yourself. There is a limit.

You want to hear some STUPID Tomlin quotes, listen to his press conference from today. It is absolutely ASININE.
And the funniest part is that the media will hoot and holler over how great his presser was, like they don't even have a clue, just moronic. It's beyond imbecilic.

If he limps into the playoffs again and gets slobberknockered - again - his job isn't secured, no matter what you tell yourself. There is a limit.
He will be good until his contract runs out I would think. 🤔

They sure as **** ain’t canning him after they just extended him

Ain’t happening, no matter how much you love him

He will be good until his contract runs out I would think. 🤔
Unfortunately true
And likely extended again if he wants to
He is the Rooney’s golden child

NHALS comes with a lifetime appointment from Rooney fam, sadly

Our only hope is he takes a cushy Tv gig

My cousin posted this on FB today and I told her it sounded like a Mike Tomlin press conference.

462494370_10225891384016806_341856886221017353_n.jpg

Tomlin is an above average Head Coach. His time has passed, sometimes you just need change for a jump start.

Just like last night when Allen came into the game and made that pass. That was a shot across Fields’ bow. You know damn well that Fields in that moment knew he needed to play better, and he did, for a few plays. After a few plays you could see the change back to thinking “I’m good”, and his play went right back to being below the line. Fields is in the same situation as Pickett was, he has nobody challenging him. Wilson is not currently a threat, due to injury, and Allen is not because of his pedigree. If I was the HC, when Fields reverted after the spell by Allen, I would have pulled him and given Allen the rest of the game. This tends to light a fire under players, and Fields would have been told to earn the job back next week. I’m not saying I think Allen is better, just that too much has been handed to Fields this year without earning it.
No, he's not. Never has been. He's never had a "time". The overwhelming talent and veteran leadership hid his inability to coach the first 4 years. Colbert handed him a league leading 52 pro bowlers over 10 years after sb 45 loss. Look what he did with it. 3 playoff wins. Proof is in the pudding. This clown went 31st against the pass in MN as defensive coordinator in 2006. Nuff said. Dungy screwed us by convincing Rooney to hire this clown.