• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Survivalism, homesteading... living off the grid

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
magical-log-cabin-in-woods.jpg

I wanted to throw this topic out there, removed from partisan politics and the constant confrontations on the board.

I've been thinking a lot about a back-to-nature type move, connected to some cataclysmic event, be it man-made or something natural. The notion we'd find ourselves having to live off the grid for a certain amount of time, having to self-sustain, find food, protect ourselves and our families, be able to make it through without the usual comforts of technology, electricity, and the like.

The people closest to me, who'd be able to cope fairly well, are my in-laws, who live in meager surroundings in the countyside. They've maintained a robust fruit & vegetable garden and have raised chickens and pigs for decades. They have a wood-burning stove, buy only limited supplies. Father in law is a retired machinist, is always working in his garage workshop, welding, building stuff. They have a well in the backyard, which supplies water for the garden & animals.

So if **** went down, power went out, the satellites came crashing down, modern life screeched to a halt, seems to me they'd probably be able to carry on.

Me and my immediate family, ugh, not so much. We've been big city folks forever, living in a tightly-packed urban setting, with all the amenities of city life.

In my youth, I did a lot of scouting, camping and backpacking in the Sierras in CA. Love to fish, have hunted duck and been on a few bow-hunting trips for deer, though always came back empty handed. I've started to read more on homesteading, this idea of moving out of the city, doing something on down low, maybe have a cabin somewhere off the beaten path.

Seems the list for surviving for a short or medium duration isn't too long, or too complicated:

- fresh water
- food/nutrients
- shelter
- wood for fire
- personal safety/security
- ability to connect to friends/allies

So that's a zero sum situation, with no power, no internet, no running water, no gas for an intermittent amount of time.

It seems finding a fresh water source may be the most critical, first step, then take things from there.

What about you guys? Who's into this stuff, prepping and survivalism? You guys have a set plan, if **** goes down? Again, I'm not thinking of anything specific, aliens, zombies, political turmoil or nuclear fallout. Just wondering how ready anyone of us is to survive off the land, away from city life and make do somehow.

Would also appreciate any links on this that sums things up, nice and neat, as far as the most important things to consider.

Why would you ask people on this forum if they have prepared in the event of a catastrophe?

Me? Not at all. I live in Section 8 housing in Los Angeles, guns scare me, I might have some Campbell's soup in the cupboard, and boiled up the last of the rigatoni last night. I don't have enough to survive more than 10-15 minutes. If Beijing Joe and Commiela Blowjob did not tell me what to do, I would probably just stay in bed all day and starve to death.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

This is just too good to pass up.

The Left, when they think about these scenarios, piss themselves. The Right, as a generalization? Not so much.

Despite living in the DC Metro area, I grew up in the country. I often re-visit, hunt annually. Have property, friends, family in the area. I can make a fire. I can cook very well. I know how to hunt and have pretty decent survival skills. Just because of how I was raised. I own a chain saw so I can cut wood. Run out of gas? I have numerous hand axes, mauls, and the like. I have camp stoves and the necessary equipment to get by on. I grew up next to my grandparents farm and could re-learn livestock, and farming. Grew up canning and freezing so much food we had a room for canned food with 3 deep freezers.

I'd need a refresh on turning the food you harvest into seeds you can plant for the next crop, but that's not a long study.

No electricity? No big deal. Find a place with a well if you don't have water. Or, like me, migrate to my/family property with a river. Oh...better know how to clean the water before you drink it. Make sure you stock up on or can find storage containers for things like water and such.

I can make jerky from many meats and know the basics of drying food over a fire.

Then there's weapons. Sadly all of mine were lost in a tragic fishing accident in the Straits of Hormuz, but I'm sure I could find them. Three high powered rifles, four shotguns, and a compound bow. Of course I'll take my fishing poles and gear. Happy I learned how to dig worms, and and what other natural bait can be used to catch fish. Guess a survivalist should know how to tie a fishing knot - or three.

You'll kneed knives. Good knives, not kitchen knives. Glad I have a dozen or so. Good ones for everything from whittling to cleaning fish and gutting and field dressing animals.

My mom made sure to teach me to sew, even to knit at one point (which I forget how, but could relearn). My relatives have quilting looms.

I have tons of tools, electrical and hand, and am quite skilled in home improvements - electrical, plumbing, drywall, construction, tiling. I know I could build a log cabin if need be if push came to shove. It may not be perfect, but it would work.

You'll need a variety of good survival clothes. GoreTex boots, rain gear, sturdy clothes for hard work. Heavy clothes for cold weather.

If you're near water, having a trusted canoe would be good to have. Grab one and stick it in your Hungarian closet just in case **** goes down ya know?

Grab tarps, you'll need plenty.

Brush up on first aid, natural herbs for medicinal purposes and the like.

I dunno, I don't quite worry so much about it I guess because I feel blessed to have many of the skills. Mind you not all of them.

Suggest Tibs you start watching some survivalist shows and making a list and shopping on Amazon. Seems you've got quite a bit to consider.

Still incredibly odd, ya know, now that you have this perfect world with Democratic leaders in place who are going to build us a darned spanking new Utopia with a surging economy, free everything, and equality for all why you're considering this.

I laugh.

EDIT: I do need help with trapping. I watch intently on survival shows, but if I saw **** coming down, I'd dive quickly into trapping knowledge.

Last edited:
Suggest Tibs you start watching some survivalist shows and making a list and shopping on Amazon.

**** Amazon and Jeff Bezos. Use Amazon to search for a product, then go directly to the dealer to get it. Cut Amazon out of the loop.

Oh, and NO ******* PRODUCTS FROM CHINA! That is difficult as hell for weatherproof clothing, but can be done. A company called "Newt3k" makes its weatherproof gear in the United States.

https://nwt3k.com/about/usa-made-products

**** Amazon and Jeff Bezos. Use Amazon to search for a product, then go directly to the dealer to get it. Cut Amazon out of the loop.

Oh, and NO ******* PRODUCTS FROM CHINA! That is difficult as hell for weatherproof clothing, but can be done. A company called "Newt3k" makes its weatherproof gear in the United States.

https://nwt3k.com/about/usa-made-products

That line was said in jest. I wouldn't get survival gear from Amazon...in general.

Army/Navy surplus stores are great for a lot of stuff too.

Sadly, all that were near me closed...permanently...because COVID.

I grew up on a farm in mountains. If you know how to grow,hunt,shoot,fish,skin,cure,find water,build shelter,distinguish good plants from bad plants. You're good. It also helps to be in good physical health enough for all of that building, cutting wood,carrying logs,hiking deep into the woods for hunting. Known deer tracks,bear tracks,mountain lion and turkey. Keep a really sharp large buck knife on your side. A machete also is a must for clearing brush. Get acclimated to harsh conditions. Get comfortable being uncomfortable it hardens the mind and body...

That line was said in jest. I wouldn't get survival gear from Amazon...in general.

Army/Navy surplus stores are great for a lot of stuff too.

Sadly, all that were near me closed...permanently...because COVID.

Thank God. Now we are MUCH safer. As soon as every bar, restaurant, and gym is closed for good, we may finally be safe enough to go outside.

storagepreppers.gif

Tibsy and Floggy with their pellet guns & kitchen knives.

Thank God. Now we are MUCH safer. As soon as every bar, restaurant, and gym is closed for good, we may finally be safe enough to go outside.

Don't forget churches and outdoor sporting events. Was at Home Depot yesterday and apparently they're magically immune from the dreadful Covid though. Of course Walmart, Costco etc. as well.

I'm in to this stuff too much at times. Make sure you can get water and filter it. Make sure you have protection. I plan to get out to a local lake, where, for some odd reason, thousands of people have lost their guns in, and dive down to get me one. Have a way to keep warm, keep food for a long time, grow stuff (if it lasts that long), and keep your loved ones safe. Network with trusted folks. Learn to can, preserve food, and such. Water, protection, safety, warmth, food, a network - in that order. Plan for short term and learn all about long term.

funny thing is that I am making deer jerky tonight. Good timing.

There are so many of them, but that Matt Graham (former co-host of Dual Survival and Live Free or Die) always struck me as a knowledgeable survivalist. Just a humble/spiritual/zen dude who also seemed to have great intuition.

I'm a city slicker basically so I'm gonna have to move in with Djfan, Tim or S4E for a while if I really want to learn to survive without the creature comforts.

I'm in to this stuff too much at times. Make sure you can get water and filter it. Make sure you have protection. I plan to get out to a local lake, where, for some odd reason, thousands of people have lost their guns in, and dive down to get me one. Have a way to keep warm, keep food for a long time, grow stuff (if it lasts that long), and keep your loved ones safe. Network with trusted folks. Learn to can, preserve food, and such. Water, protection, safety, warmth, food, a network - in that order. Plan for short term and learn all about long term.

Oh I forgot about all of the canning &jams we did as well. And running trap lines.

This made me think of the episode of the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, where he didn't know where gluten came from. He's always had hot actresses flirting like crazy on his show so either feel free to watch the entire thing, or just go to 1:45-2:30:

:lol:

And running trap lines.

Having a brain fart, but you ever watch those Alaska shows? Thinking about that 21-year-old who's an incredible trapper and he built his log cabin completely by himself. I know there have been many but this kid was incredible with his skills and mental toughness IMO.

Jesus, can't even remember his name after watching him for like 3 seasons.

I have a plan.

Have a water source, land, I have seeds of every veggie you can think of. have pens set up that could hold multiple types of animals have multiple weapons (that I cant seem to find) have 3 years worth of emergency food kits. have multiple cooking sources(propane stoves, wood burning, etc) I have enough bottled water for the blitz family stored away that will last 2 years minimum( approx 24 oz per day per person) we have batteries of all sizes stored away.

I have not bought a single veggie(except onions) in 3 years. grow everything myself. I freeze, dehydrate or can enough to last until the next growing season.

i can hunt,trap,fish i have taught my family to do the same. we are ready.

that being said I dont want anything to happen that would make me need it.

only thing I cant figure out is how i will get my Steelers fix.

Back around 1998 we had some bad storms and I lost power for 6 days, me and most of the county. Luckily my kids and then-wife were out of state visiting her folks that week. I grilled my food while it lasted but at some point I lost everything in my fridge and freezer. In a pinch you can eat Chef Boy-R-Dee cold out of the can.
Now that I have diabetes I don't worry about it because if I have to go primitive and without insulin I'll be dead in six months to a year anyway.

I'm in SC, and hand dug a well just like this guy did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rYPRMm8Arw&t=3s

I did 2 of them, the first one I got down to 23 ft. The second one I rigged up some quick disconnect pipe extensions and made it down to 33 feet after hitting water bearing sand at 19 feet. It wouldn't yield enough to put an electric pump on, but I was able to make a deep well/sucker rod type hand pump with basic materials from Home Depot and can pump out 5 gallons per about 25 strokes. Great drinking water too. I got some PVC well screen with very fine slits cut into it to allow water to seep in. The auger bucket made an 8-9" hole, so I poured pool filter sand down into the annular space between the well screen and the water bearing sand (can only dig so far into the water table before the hole will collapse). The water seeps in through the pool filter sand/gravel into the well casing and is very clean. It recovers well and I can pump 10 gallons out at a time before I have to give it a minute or 2 to recover enough to start pumping again.

You guys up north or or midwest could probably drive a well point into the shallow water table without digging like this.

Last edited:

canning is super easy I have canned for years with not a single can spoiling.

canning is super easy I have canned for years with not a single can spoiling.

Damn you. I always get one or two popped tops.