• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Survivalism, homesteading... living off the grid

If all goes to poo-poo, propane will be hard to get.

Yeah, we worry about that. Love that my Section 8 housing consists of guaranteed water (well water), gas (propane), waste disposal (septic), barn, excellent garden possibilities. Propane tank in the Section 8 is massive, lasts about 10 months.

Look into a nice 20 gauge if all you want is protection. Easy to shoot. Hard to miss up close. Can double for a bird gun to get dinner.

Every experienced firearms trainer I know - or rather my neighbor knows since guns scare me - says that if a woman wants to get a rifle, get an AR-15. Shoots 5.56 or .223, very little kick, sight makes it extremely accurate up to 200 yards. The gun is not good for ducks, granted, but for most hunting it is 100% the best choice.

You would be shocked at how rarely a handgun hits the intended target in a gun battle. It's not a good weapon for that.

The thing is this: people move around. They go to the market, to get things. When they do, they generally don't carry a 12-guage with them. Pistols, more specifically semi-automatics, are made for concealment and close quarters.

And yes, hitting a moving target with a pistol is tougher than you think, but having a concealed pistol beats the holy living **** out of having a 12-gauge in the gun room at home when you are at a market, gas station, etc. The key here is training and practice. Take classes on how to identify potential threats, how to react, how to avoid drawing weapon until sure, how to avoid putting innocents in jeopardy, and how to shoot the gun accurately.

One thing that pisses me off so goddamn much about the stupid (D)ims is the steps they take that always boost ammo prices, by a LOT. No ordering by mail, limits on amount you can buy, have to go through some laborious process to get the ammo, and on and on and on. Guess what, dipshits? You are making it too ******* expensive to practice with the firearm like you should. Jesus ******* Christ, if goddamn 9mm ball ammo is 90 cents per round, one ******* magazine is $13.50. A good round of practice takes AT LEAST 100 rounds. That is $90 ******* dollars! Because (D)ims are stupid ************* too dumb to know what they are doing.

"Oh, it will make it harder for criminals to get ammunition!" No it won't, you idiots, it will just continue to guarantee that dumbfuck gangbangers never to the range and never hit their ******* target and instead always hit the 5-year old in her bedroom.

Again, let me repeat, I am simply forwarding information from my psycho neighbor who - get this - has a room in his home dedicated to firearms and ammo. Me? Gun room? I have government housing, and as always whatever the government touches, it ***** it up like a gladiator on meth. Jesus, we don't have a bathroom. Gotta go - my turn to empty the bucket.

And Tibs, you are 100% welcome for my contributions here.

Well, I know where they are and could go on a diving expedition to retrieve them. Boat capsized just south east of Haiphong. Then I could be labeled a terrorist I suppose.

just teasing, Timmy.
I keep an eye on the location of my guns, too.

139452343_10225145209998067_3266437299469512815_n.jpg

If you are preparing for the end of the world and being a survivalist, better be able to do the following. I think I'm up to having done this 40 times. I don't find it appealing, but you get used to it. Not work for the faint of heart. Of course, if you're hungry, you'll learn quick.

After this step, you better learn how to quarter it, where the loins and fish are, and how to get the meats out of it you want then how to store it.

WARNING - this video is graphic if you are offended by blood, gore, guts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dgl260zjHls" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was young. Dad bagged a massive bucks and he ran to a farmer land. We tracked it, I stayed in the truck while dad went to scoop it up. Was dragging it back when the farmer came out with his gun. Dad came into the truck, put his rifle down and grabbed his Dirty Harry. Some words but we got the deer.

Since we couldn’t tag it,(wasn’t bucks season yet) took it to the garage and gutted it there strung up by the rafters. I still can smell it to this day sweeping out the intrails. Damn good jerk and steaks though!

My neighbor is a crazy prepper nut. He has it all, water, food, shelter, fuel. I'll probably just shoot him.

hahahaha. I was just going to post something like that. Just raid all of the places they banned guns and have a lot of liberals.

If you are preparing for the end of the world and being a survivalist, better be able to do the following. I think I'm up to having done this 40 times. I don't find it appealing, but you get used to it. Not work for the faint of heart. Of course, if you're hungry, you'll learn quick.

After this step, you better learn how to quarter it, where the loins and fish are, and how to get the meats out of it you want then how to store it.

WARNING - this video is graphic if you are offended by blood, gore, guts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dgl260zjHls" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My dad taught me how to use a scalpel for cleaning small game. I got really good at it to the point,I'd carve everything up,flip the animal over and everything would just drop out...haha.

You want to talk about a scary knife? A scalpel will **** you up anyplace it touches. Just scary sharp.

And Blitz, love your post and what you're doing. I really need to think about long-term and potentially moving out of San Diego where it's just not possible to do the things you're able to do. But I believe it was you (among many I imagine) who mentioned you grow your own garlic? I have a secondary little patio I might turn into a small garden. Could I effectively grow garlic, tomatoes & all the herbs out of pots?
Yes you can grow all of those in pots.

The last few years I went sorta crazy growing vegetables. 1 started years ago with 1 raised bed. I know have 18 beds and 40 pots on my deck.

I have done things as small in pots as herbs and as large as butternut squash.

Just know that pots news watered alot more frequently.

This is just too good to pass up.

The Left, when they think about these scenarios, piss themselves. The Right, as a generalization? Not so much.

Despite living in the DC Metro area, I grew up in the country. I often re-visit, hunt annually. Have property, friends, family in the area. I can make a fire. I can cook very well. I know how to hunt and have pretty decent survival skills. Just because of how I was raised. I own a chain saw so I can cut wood. Run out of gas? I have numerous hand axes, mauls, and the like. I have camp stoves and the necessary equipment to get by on. I grew up next to my grandparents farm and could re-learn livestock, and farming. Grew up canning and freezing so much food we had a room for canned food with 3 deep freezers.

I'd need a refresh on turning the food you harvest into seeds you can plant for the next crop, but that's not a long study.

No electricity? No big deal. Find a place with a well if you don't have water. Or, like me, migrate to my/family property with a river. Oh...better know how to clean the water before you drink it. Make sure you stock up on or can find storage containers for things like water and such.

I can make jerky from many meats and know the basics of drying food over a fire.

Then there's weapons. Sadly all of mine were lost in a tragic fishing accident in the Straits of Hormuz, but I'm sure I could find them. Three high powered rifles, four shotguns, and a compound bow. Of course I'll take my fishing poles and gear. Happy I learned how to dig worms, and and what other natural bait can be used to catch fish. Guess a survivalist should know how to tie a fishing knot - or three.

You'll kneed knives. Good knives, not kitchen knives. Glad I have a dozen or so. Good ones for everything from whittling to cleaning fish and gutting and field dressing animals.

My mom made sure to teach me to sew, even to knit at one point (which I forget how, but could relearn). My relatives have quilting looms.

I have tons of tools, electrical and hand, and am quite skilled in home improvements - electrical, plumbing, drywall, construction, tiling. I know I could build a log cabin if need be if push came to shove. It may not be perfect, but it would work.

You'll need a variety of good survival clothes. GoreTex boots, rain gear, sturdy clothes for hard work. Heavy clothes for cold weather.

If you're near water, having a trusted canoe would be good to have. Grab one and stick it in your Hungarian closet just in case **** goes down ya know?

Grab tarps, you'll need plenty.

Brush up on first aid, natural herbs for medicinal purposes and the like.

I dunno, I don't quite worry so much about it I guess because I feel blessed to have many of the skills. Mind you not all of them.

Suggest Tibs you start watching some survivalist shows and making a list and shopping on Amazon. Seems you've got quite a bit to consider.

Still incredibly odd, ya know, now that you have this perfect world with Democratic leaders in place who are going to build us a darned spanking new Utopia with a surging economy, free everything, and equality for all why you're considering this.

I laugh.

EDIT: I do need help with trapping. I watch intently on survival shows, but if I saw **** coming down, I'd dive quickly into trapping knowledge.

Gosh! You are one badassed ************, I tell ya h'what!

Yes you can grow all of those in pots.

The last few years I went sorta crazy growing vegetables. 1 started years ago with 1 raised bed. I know have 18 beds and 40 pots on my deck.

I have done things as small in pots as herbs and as large as butternut squash.

Just know that pots news watered alot more frequently.

I love squash/zucchini. Use it in my chicken vegetable soups all the time. If you can PM me, shoot me a pic (or two) of what ya got and maybe a tip or two. Gonna start clearing that space out tomorrow/Sunday then buy the pots. Used to grow different tomatoes a lot but it's been a long time and like I mentioned, I'm a city slicker. Can't afford a house in this damn area so I'm limited to patios and decks and not (gasp) nice garages or actual yards/acres of land.

God what I wouldn't give for just a nice spacious garage and a basement/Steelers den again.

Look man stop saying you lost your guns in a boating accident. If the government is going to come for your guns don’t hide them use them to shoot the government.

Look man stop saying you lost your guns in a boating accident. If the government is going to come for your guns don’t hide them use them to shoot the government.

So you recovered yours from the bottom of the swamp outside your mudhut?

(D)im voters ... least likely to "live off the grid," most likely to live in ugly, overcrowded, overpriced shitholes. This beauty, for example:

57e6115f68a5ea943e8b3399400ad870-cc_ft_384.jpg

2 BR, 1 bath, 808 square feet, bars on windows and doors because Compton, for a mere $429,000. Yes, that ****** little box costs $531 per square foot.

Must be because of the beautiful backyard, right?

b2ef62b7abb18b7b85ba114296bc265e-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Not so much.

(D)im voters ... least likely to "live off the grid," most likely to live in ugly, overcrowded, overpriced shitholes. This beauty, for example:

57e6115f68a5ea943e8b3399400ad870-cc_ft_384.jpg

2 BR, 1 bath, 808 square feet, bars on windows and doors because Compton, for a mere $429,000. Yes, that ****** little box costs $531 per square foot.

Must be because of the beautiful backyard, right?

b2ef62b7abb18b7b85ba114296bc265e-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Not so much.

That's what happens when the government of your state makes it impossible for a builder to make money on anything but mansions. Another unintended consequence of giving politicians too much power.

Has anyone ever thought of what would really happen if this actually occurred? I could see a mass exodus from the cities and urban areas as food and supplies become quickly depleted. I just wonder how folks in the rural/open parts of the country would react to what would basically become a scavenger horde comes into their homestead. Guessing that is when the **** really starts.

That's what happens when the government of your state makes it impossible for a builder to make money on anything but mansions. Another unintended consequence of giving politicians too much power.

Yep. I can attest to what is happening to developers based in part on personal experience. Developer bought about 30 acres in a relatively open area northwest of Thousand Oaks, unfortunately in LA County, not Ventura. That was his first mistake. Pretty area, up in the hills a bit, not real close to downtown LA but close enough to make it an area suitable for a longish commute.

So he was given permission to build 92 single-family residences. Plan was to spend maybe $175,000 to build each home, and adding in the cost of the property and the government-mandated expenses for utilities, roads, and parks, each development would have a cost of about $300,000 per lot (give or take about $80,000 for each property for the property value, and $40,000 or so for the infrastructure, roads, etc.)

What most people don't know is that California basically does not build infrastructure any more and has not for a very long time. Instead, what they do is tell developers, "Okay, if you want to be zoned to build the properties, you need to install sewers, and electrical, and roads, and parks."

All well and good. The homes were going to be about 1/4 acre each or a bit smaller, i.e., decent size lots. Actual yards. Lots of 3 and 4 bedroom homes. He and his partners were going to sell the homes for about $$385,000 to $525,000 each, depending on size of home and lot, view, etc. Great. Developer stands to make $10 million and 92 families, basically 350 people, have a nice place to live.

Nope. County tells developer, "Environmental impact says 92 homes is going to adversely affect air quality, traffic, so you are now permitted to build 75 homes." The 75 became 65 became 55 became 45 because lawsuits over EIR regulations, protests, politicians, etc.

So developer says, "**** you ********." He builds 23 mansions, each at least 3/4 acre, some up to 2 acres, massive pools, guest house, and charges $2 million each. So he puts out about $1.5 million per home, makes about $500,000 per mansion, makes about $12 million overall building a place where 70 people might live, compared to building 92 homes, making $10 million and where about 350 people live.

And never again builds in California. Ever. He took his company to Wyoming, where he is still developing property, employing hundreds - thousands - in construction, paying a **** ton in taxes and building homes for people to live.

Fortunately, Walmart sells cheap Chinese tents for the homeless, so there's that.

Has anyone ever thought of what would really happen if this actually occurred? I could see a mass exodus from the cities and urban areas as food and supplies become quickly depleted.

There is a genre of fiction known as "apocalypse fiction" that examines that very outcome. Let's put it this way ... An AR-15 holds 30 rounds for a reason.

I just wonder how folks in the rural/open parts of the country would react to what would basically become a scavenger horde comes into their homestead.

See above.

Has anyone ever thought of what would really happen if this actually occurred? I could see a mass exodus from the cities and urban areas as food and supplies become quickly depleted. I just wonder how folks in the rural/open parts of the country would react to what would basically become a scavenger horde comes into their homestead. Guessing that is when the **** really starts.

I will tell you my answer, but . . . .

e78eddc64cb697172c65ef7827419095.jpg

Funny thing is that today one of the prepper groups I'm in on fb, a lady complained that some of her neighbors and friends just assume that they can go to her for safety. It caused a lot of division and comments.

I can attest to this, when my Mom passed away in 2016 my sisters and I got to clean out the house. I found an old picture of the place in Santa Ana my folks lived in just before I was born. I looked it up on Zillow just to see if it was still standing, less than 1,000 square feet and last sold for $518 a square foot.

Fortunately they moved back to PA and while I didn't grow up on a farm, there was a farm bordering our property that gave me work in the summers, bailing hay, etc. My grandmother taught me to can, my uncle to hunt and fish and my Dad all of his carpentry skills. I think I could manage quite nicely, for a while at least. I have a place that I can heat with wood that borders a national forest. Need to invest in a larger propane tank ( only 300 now ) and pick up a generator to power the house if needed.

I'm actually enjoying this thread.

Most of the liberals I know can't tell one end of a hammer from the other.

I can attest to this, when my Mom passed away in 2016 my sisters and I got to clean out the house. I found an old picture of the place in Santa Ana my folks lived in just before I was born. I looked it up on Zillow just to see if it was still standing, less than 1,000 square feet and last sold for $518 a square foot.

Fortunately they moved back to PA and while I didn't grow up on a farm, there was a farm bordering our property that gave me work in the summers, bailing hay, etc. My grandmother taught me to can, my uncle to hunt and fish and my Dad all of his carpentry skills. I think I could manage quite nicely, for a while at least. I have a place that I can heat with wood that borders a national forest. Need to invest in a larger propane tank ( only 300 now ) and pick up a generator to power the house if needed.

I'm actually enjoying this thread.

Most of the liberals I know can't tell one end of a hammer from the other.

Never forget my dad telling me to swing a hammer by holding it at the bottom of the handle. If the liberal can tell one end of the hammer from the other, he'll choke up at least halfway or 2/3 of the way up the handle not understanding basic applied physics and letting the tool do the work.

I really don't think they'll stray too far from the urban centers. They wouldn't know where to go and would simply demand that the government take care of them.

Never forget my dad telling me to swing a hammer by holding it at the bottom of the handle. If the liberal can tell one end of the hammer from the other, he'll choke up at least halfway or 2/3 of the way up the handle not understanding basic applied physics and letting the tool do the work.

Well, if you choke up a little then your aim is better if it isn't something you do a lot. But i hear you. Was working with my great-uncle once who built houses for a living and he could pound most nails in with two hits. A light hit to set it and with the second hit it was in all the way. Bam-BAM...bam-BAM...bam-BAM..... My grandfather and his brothers built half the South Hills of Pittsburgh in the post-WWII housing boom, my dad too until he got out of college. I don't really hunt but I could build a whole house if I had to. A Unabomber cabin in the woods would be a piece of cake.

Last edited: