• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Survivalism, homesteading... living off the grid

Honestly 20 to 40 miles outside major urban centers will be enough distance. These aren't people with lots of motivation and drive to go far afield to forage and plunder. Inside NYC, LA, CHI will be hell holes once the trucks stop rolling in and the power shuts off.

Honestly 20 to 40 miles outside major urban centers will be enough distance. These aren't people with lots of motivation and drive to go far afield to forage and plunder. Inside NYC, LA, CHI will be hell holes once the trucks stop rolling in and the power shuts off.

If it came to that hypothetical situation you make the bridges inaccessible and drop big trees across the highway leading in. They'd have figure out how to physically work hard operate a chainsaw and build bridges. Which is a life lesson they need in dealing with people anyway.

If it came to that hypothetical situation you make the bridges inaccessible and drop big trees across the highway leading in. They'd have figure out how to physically work hard operate a chainsaw and build bridges. Which is a life lesson they need in dealing with people anyway.

I've been watching The Walking Dead for several years so I think I have this apocalypse thing figured out.

It's this eventuality that made me leave So Cal, and big cities in general.

I really don't think they'll stray too far from the urban centers. They wouldn't know where to go and would simply demand that the government take care of them.

Well, if you choke up a little then your aim is better if it isn't something you do a lot. But i hear you. Was working with my great-uncle once who built houses for a living and he could pound most nails in with two hits. A light hit to set it and with the second hit it was in all the way. Bam-BAM...bam-BAM...bam-BAM..... My grandfather and his brothers built half the South Hills of Pittsburgh in the post-WWII housing boom, my dad too until he got out of college. I don't really hunt but I could build a whole house if I had to. A Unabomber cabin in the woods would be a piece of cake.

My grandfather and dad built 5 houses in Murrysville (late 40's, early 50's), one of which I grew up in. They were all on a minimum of an acre, outside walls were field stone, all the walls plastered, and the rafters were 2 x 10's. Unless some developer comes in and puts 20 houses on the property, they'll still be standing 50 years from now. I was fortunate enough to have inherited a lot of those skills, so other than the physical part at my age, building something wouldn't be a problem.

I was young. Dad bagged a massive bucks and he ran to a farmer land. We tracked it, I stayed in the truck while dad went to scoop it up. Was dragging it back when the farmer came out with his gun. Dad came into the truck, put his rifle down and grabbed his Dirty Harry. Some words but we got the deer.

Since we couldn’t tag it,(wasn’t bucks season yet) took it to the garage and gutted it there strung up by the rafters. I still can smell it to this day sweeping out the intrails. Damn good jerk and steaks though!

Damned poachers. I'd have had my gun approaching ya'll too lol

Funny thing is that today one of the prepper groups I'm in on fb, a lady complained that some of her neighbors and friends just assume that they can go to her for safety. It caused a lot of division and comments.

What group is it on Facebook?? I'd like to join

I can attest to this, when my Mom passed away in 2016 my sisters and I got to clean out the house. I found an old picture of the place in Santa Ana my folks lived in just before I was born. I looked it up on Zillow just to see if it was still standing, less than 1,000 square feet and last sold for $518 a square foot.

Fortunately they moved back to PA and while I didn't grow up on a farm, there was a farm bordering our property that gave me work in the summers, bailing hay, etc. My grandmother taught me to can, my uncle to hunt and fish and my Dad all of his carpentry skills. I think I could manage quite nicely, for a while at least. I have a place that I can heat with wood that borders a national forest. Need to invest in a larger propane tank ( only 300 now ) and pick up a generator to power the house if needed.

I'm actually enjoying this thread.

Most of the liberals I know can't tell one end of a hammer from the other.

Two thoughts - if it's end times, you have to consider going fuel-less. No gas for your generator, no propane. At some point you run out. Then you have to consider what then?

And ****, you're making the wild assumption the Liberal could first spot and identify the hammer.

If it is end times, cars/trucks won't be used for long, eventually fuel runs out. Accidents happen. Roads get blocked naturally. You have to be worried about hoards of walkers just like the Walking Dead...except they are hungry and their brains still work and people will kill other people for food.

Gender Studies book
patchouli candle
double-headed jelly dong

Charcuterie board....MUST have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwPoLOZkFyE

I have to admit, these two videos are top notch, unbelievably good. The first video is 1:30 hours, and 2 inaudible words are heard. There is no talking and I was more riveted watching this than most Netflix series. Stupendous stuff. A really good find.

It is stunning what this guy does starting from nothing. Ends up building a "compound" including his log cabin, a cooking compound with a bread oven (no ****), a wood shed, and a sauna. I learned a bunch of cool things watching it.

This is the guy's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIMXKin1fXXCeq2UJePJEog (My Self Reliance)

Shawn James (his name) https://bit.ly/2xzZHpB

Watch the playlists by clicking on these links:

Building an Off Grid Sauna: https://bit.ly/2IjvJsQ

Building a Log Cabin with Hand Tools: https://bit.ly/2MeEoOs

Building an Outdoor Forest Kitchen: https://bit.ly/2AFQJ99

Best of My Self Reliance: https://bit.ly/2OfW7ry

Other online channels;

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/MySelfReliance/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/myselfrelia...

Two thoughts - if it's end times, you have to consider going fuel-less. No gas for your generator, no propane. At some point you run out. Then you have to consider what then?

And ****, you're making the wild assumption the Liberal could first spot and identify the hammer.

If it is end times, cars/trucks won't be used for long, eventually fuel runs out. Accidents happen. Roads get blocked naturally. You have to be worried about hoards of walkers just like the Walking Dead...except they are hungry and their brains still work and people will kill other people for food.

Whoa, whoa! I have made some real nice charcuterie boards out of live edge lumber. Walnut, spalted maple, box elder.

When the world is blowing up around us, we still need to be civilized and serve our cheeses and salted meats in style.

Hot Pockets
Fidget spinner
Coloring books

Gender Studies book
patchouli candle
double-headed jelly dong

Nipple clamps
Ball gag
Anal beads

So0p enters thread. Immediate result:

KlutzySolidGalah-max-1mb.gif

Whoa, whoa! I have made some real nice charcuterie boards out of live edge lumber. Walnut, spalted maple, box elder.

When the world is blowing up around us, we still need to be civilized and serve our cheeses and salted meats in style.

:rofl:
:laugh:

Well if you blow the bridges,you'll only have to worry about the motivated swimmers. Swimming 1-4 miles in a river with a pretty good current when the tides roll in and out is a serious challenge..haha.

It's hypothetical **** hits the fan mode in any scenario outside of nuclear attack.

Well if you blow the bridges,you'll only have to worry about the motivated swimmers. Swimming 1-4 miles in a river with a pretty good current when the tides roll in and out is a serious challenge..haha.

It's hypothetical **** hits the fan mode in any scenario outside of nuclear attack.

Yeah...that all depends on geography. The property I would go to does have rivers. But there are innumerable places you can get across on foot if you're willing to get wet up to the knees/waist. Not all rivers rage. Many are shallow, etc. So water isn't always going to be a strategic advantage for some based on defense. But providing water and food, yes.

My grandfather and dad built 5 houses in Murrysville (late 40's, early 50's), one of which I grew up in. They were all on a minimum of an acre, outside walls were field stone, all the walls plastered, and the rafters were 2 x 10's. Unless some developer comes in and puts 20 houses on the property, they'll still be standing 50 years from now. I was fortunate enough to have inherited a lot of those skills, so other than the physical part at my age, building something wouldn't be a problem.

My grandfather's company built a whole lot of Brentwood and Whitehall, not just houses but some of the commercial buildings too. Three years ago when I was briefly working for an HVAC company I said something to my dad about going to Avella almost every day. Dad says, "You go down such and such road and you'll see three identical light brick houses next to each other that we built. In 1955 your great-uncle dropped me off with a truckload of shingles and a hammer and said he'd be back at dinner to get me." Which then actually I did see the three houses he was talking about. I learned a lot from my dad but I worked construction a couple summers when I was in college and I knew enough to hold my own. Did some carpentry and roofing, mostly poured and finished a lot of concrete.

Last edited:
My grandfather's company built a whole lot of Brentwood and Whitehall, not just houses but some of the commercial buildings too. Three years ago when I was briefly working for an HVAC company I said something to my dad about going to Avella almost every day. Dad says, "You go down such and such road and you'll see three identical light brick houses next to each other that we built. In 1955 your great-uncle dropped me off with a truckload of shingles and a hammer and said he'd be back at dinner to get me." Which then actually I did see the three houses he was talking about. I learned a lot from my dad but I worked construction a couple summers when I was in college and I knew enough to hold my own. Did some carpentry and roofing, mostly poured and finished a lot of concrete.

I took 3 years of Masonry at a vocational school back in high school. It was taught by a master mason. All,brick,block,foundations,footers and I learned how to stick weld angle iron. I could build flawless corners and walls, then I couldn't get a job starting out as anything more than a laborer for a few years before I could apply my skills. I said **** that and never went any further in the trade.

I can't believe some of the god awful leaning tower of pisa masonry that actually passing inspection down here.

Tim -

There are a ton of these pepper and survivalist groups on fb. This one was the Christian Peppers group. Search for SHTF or preppers there. You'll see a lot.

Nice youtube channels. Thanks tibs.