• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Survivalism, homesteading... living off the grid

I just measured little patio I mentioned, it's pretty tight. 7.5' long but not even 4' across (really it's just a BBQ area) and I'm gonna need some room to walk around a little bit as well. Hmm, I'm sure just starting with garlic and herbs will be okay and just go from there.

Until you move out of the People's Republic of Californiastan, you might want to invest in something like this (or build one yourself) for your patio:

Brook+Self-Watering+Wood+Vertical+Garden.jpg

https://www.wayfair.com/Gracie-Oaks...nA3C1bN831KnquJnjYv3aajj3lvK2pYxoC8GUQAvD_BwE

I do think a lot about getting a gun. I don't like them and have never touched one, but this trend toward violent rioting and looting these days is concerning me. I don't care about my stuff, don't need most of it and that's what insurance is for. But I do worry about my family's safety.

Do it. Now. If you live in PA (which I believe you do), it won't be difficult process like it is in CA. And if you're leary about firearms, best way to start is have a self-defense safety instructor help teach you the basics about safety, proper posture and grip etc. It'll set your mind at ease. It may be a 2 hour course that may run you $150 (varies from state to state, may be much cheaper for you). My mom was just down recently and I made her learn how to shoot a firearm, and while it wasn't a picnic, nobody shot their foot off or anyone else's.

Short of a broad based nuclear attack I don't think we'll be without power or water for any length of time in my lifetime.

That said we have a well. Our heat is propane. We live near a bunch of farms and I could grow stuff if I have to. So as long as we don't go broke (which we could someday from buying propane) we'll be able to survive.

I do think a lot about getting a gun. I don't like them and have never touched one, but this trend toward violent rioting and looting these days is concerning me. I don't care about my stuff, don't need most of it and that's what insurance is for. But I do worry about my family's safety.

Wrong.

If the communists try and implement the green new deal the entire country will go dark.

Short of a broad based nuclear attack I don't think we'll be without power or water for any length of time in my lifetime.

That said we have a well. Our heat is propane. We live near a bunch of farms and I could grow stuff if I have to. So as long as we don't go broke (which we could someday from buying propane) we'll be able to survive.

that's why you need a gun. there is no insurance that will compensate for losing a family member or loved one.
best to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

That's is awesome, I'm sure one of life's pleasures.

Yeah, seems like it's all where you live. People talk about dowsing rods, but here in upstate SC where I am the surface water table is just water bearing fine sand starting at about 18-20 feet down. Doesn't matter what part of the property I dig or with the main bored well, it's all at the same point as water seeks it's level even underground. That's why bored 2 ft diameter shallow wells were the standard here before deep drilled. The recovery rate is slow, but the 2 ft diameter gives you storage capacity to keep from pumping dry when cycling the electric jet pump. On the hand wells, they're just 4" diameter so you don't have the storage capacity but it's hard to overpump it by hand,

Yeah it was a good chunk of property. Soil black as night. Pear, apple, plum,cherry and walnut trees all around. Good times.

Of course I've been in florida for a long time, but those things came with me.

Why only a dog for company Tibs? What about your wife and kids?

If all goes to poo-poo, propane will be hard to get.

Look into a nice 20 gauge if all you want is protection. Easy to shoot. Hard to miss up close. Can double for a bird gun to get dinner. You would be shocked at how rarely a handgun hits the intended target in a gun battle. It's not a good weapon for that.

He and his dog are probably going to eat them, since he doesn't know **** about survival.

He probably wouldn't even be able to do that.

giphy.gif

"Eww, gross. I have to cut what?!"

If all goes to poo-poo, propane will be hard to get.

Look into a nice 20 gauge if all you want is protection. Easy to shoot. Hard to miss up close. Can double for a bird gun to get dinner. You would be shocked at how rarely a handgun hits the intended target in a gun battle. It's not a good weapon for that.

That's what I'm looking into next. As to your first sentence, yep, think Mad Max lite.

He probably wouldn't even be able to do that.

"Eww, gross. I have to cut what?!"

If you are preparing for the end of the world and being a survivalist, better be able to do the following. I think I'm up to having done this 40 times. I don't find it appealing, but you get used to it. Not work for the faint of heart. Of course, if you're hungry, you'll learn quick.

After this step, you better learn how to quarter it, where the loins and fish are, and how to get the meats out of it you want then how to store it.

WARNING - this video is graphic if you are offended by blood, gore, guts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dgl260zjHls" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's what I'm looking into next. As to your first sentence, yep, think Mad Max lite.

Before that tragic accident where every one of my guns ended up in the Gulf of Tonkin, I own(ed) a single shot 20 gauge (my first rifle as a kid, kicks(ed) like a mother). Then I inherited a nice 20 gauge pump (one in the chamber, 3 inside). I also inherited a very old Stevenson bolt action that takes clips (one in the chamber, 2 additional from the clip). I...would have purchased...2 additional cartridges for quick exchanges. If I still had that one, it would get sawed off to the legal 19" length solely for self defense purposes.

Also had this tiny little .410 single shot. Good for snakes and varmints around your homestead site. Have never owned a 12 gauge.

Jeez, OFTB, California's power grid is already on the verge of failing. The recent fires and the dramatic closure of petroleum-based power generation have led to seven or eight major power shutdowns the past 8 months.

Before that tragic accident where every one of my guns ended up in the Gulf of Tonkin, I own(ed) a single shot 20 gauge (my first rifle as a kid, kicks(ed) like a mother). Then I inherited a nice 20 gauge pump (one in the chamber, 3 inside). I also inherited a very old Stevenson bolt action that takes clips (one in the chamber, 2 additional from the clip). I...would have purchased...2 additional cartridges for quick exchanges. If I still had that one, it would get sawed off to the legal 19" length solely for self defense purposes.

Also had this tiny little .410 single shot. Good for snakes and varmints around your homestead site. Have never owned a 12 gauge.

modern day terrorist. you should be on a list.

Jeez, OFTB, California's power grid is already on the verge of failing. The recent fires and the dramatic closure of petroleum-based power generation have led to seven or eight major power shutdowns the past 8 months.

World's 5th largest economy. Think about that ****. Actually that's fairly old data, who knows where they are now.

My neighbor is a crazy prepper nut. He has it all, water, food, shelter, fuel. I'll probably just shoot him.

modern day terrorist. you should be on a list.

Well, I know where they are and could go on a diving expedition to retrieve them. Boat capsized just south east of Haiphong. Then I could be labeled a terrorist I suppose.

410s are expensive to shoot. Mine sits in the safe (which is also at the bottom of the lake) unloved. I only have about 15 rounds left for it anyways. 12 guages are amazing. Very versitile. Highly recommended.

My neighbor is a crazy prepper nut. He has it all, water, food, shelter, fuel. I'll probably just shoot him.

Holy **** dude, I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.

I keep seeing these more and more:

i-lost-all-my-guns-in-a-boating-accident-sherpa-throw-blanket_600x600.jpg

I also found a "All my guns are covered in Coronavirus" T-shirt for people like Floggy, but the image file was jacked up and I can't find another picture anywhere, but love it.