• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Talking with an NFL coach about his team and the Steelers

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The development I live in has a few Miami Dolphins players and some of the coaches. I had a good football conversation with one the coaches today. I'm not going to say his name, but I will tell you coached some team in our division so you better believe he knows a thing or two about the Steelers.

Here's some information:

The Miami Dolphins bullying situation wasn't Richie Conginto's fault. Martin was a real weirdo.

Suh was a not a team guy as was fined $500,000.00 before he began to toe the line.

His favorite question to ask a rookie at the combine or new veteran free agent during the process is this. He offers is a player as a fun fantasy question after asking the player how good they think they can be. Then quickly pivots with smile saying would you rather win a Super Bowl or make the Pro bowl? Suh, and a few others who happen be distraction types say Pro Bowl.

Now for the juicy stuff.

He says the Steelers our 3-4 defense was out of date for years...everyone caught up to the blitzes.

He said Mike Tomlin is the Steelers main problem, and pretty much said what I have been saying. His team is under focused, and he's a bad game manager with a limited understanding of the math and x's and o's part of the game

Now for the juicy stuff.

He says the Steelers our 3-4 defense was out of date for years...everyone caught up to the blitzes.

He said Mike Tomlin is the Steelers main problem, and pretty much said what I have been saying. His team is under focused, and he's a bad game manager with a limited understanding of the math and x's and o's part of the game

Tomlin has his issues, but the Dolphins would sure love to have a guy like Tomlin leading their franchise.

The development I live in has a few Miami Dolphins players and some of the coaches. I had a good football conversation with one the coaches today. I'm not going to say his name, but I will tell you coached some team in our division so you better believe he knows a thing or two about the Steelers.

Here's some information:

The Miami Dolphins bullying situation wasn't Richie Conginto's fault. Martin was a real weirdo.

Suh was a not a team guy as was fined $500,000.00 before he began to toe the line.

His favorite question to ask a rookie at the combine or new veteran free agent during the process is this. He offers is a player as a fun fantasy question after asking the player how good they think they can be. Then quickly pivots with smile saying would you rather win a Super Bowl or make the Pro bowl? Suh, and a few others who happen be distraction types say Pro Bowl.

Now for the juicy stuff.

Wow sounds like there was a pervasive bullying problem including the coaches, you don't blame someone for being bullied because their weird. That is just total bullshit. I have a son who was bullied because he was weird (he has tourettes) luckily he grew to be 6'5" and fought back enough to lessen it but it was not his fault he got bullied no matter how weird he is.

After his opinion on the bullying I lost all respect for any other part of his opinion and am appalled you would respect that opinion on bullying. I saw the bullying crap first hand in my years in football even at the college level because I was also not your prototypical ******* jock and had likes and interests different then the cro magnon idiots in the locker room.

Tomlin has his issues, but the Dolphins would sure love to have a guy like Tomlin leading their franchise.

I don't know, devils advocate.....................TOMLIN is a "product of the franchise" not the other way around.

A-N-D fpr the defense and the blitz,......... it don't take no NFL coach to figure it out being outdated for years............. I could have even told you that, I wanted OUTSIDE organization as our new DC.

Salute the nation

So players say they would actually like you be a pro bowler instead of winning the SB. Really?

Here's some information:

Now for the juicy stuff.

Thanks for sharing Coach. All that info is not that earthshaking really. We all know in our hearts that our defense has been outed for a while now, hopefully they can turn a new page

The Richie Inconginto story didn't surprise me either, they kinda let the cat outta the bag about Martin when he disappeared from football and Incognito is still playing.

The Pro-Bowl vs Super Bowl thing reminds me of those honesty and integrity tests that they used to give us at work. They ask the same questions a lot of different ways and try to slip moral equations into work scenarios. ****...just answer all the questions like you were being questioned by your Grandma and don't worry about those pens on your dresser.

th

They like head coach Gase and think they can win with Ryan Tannehill back.

When I see him again which might be a long time from now I’ll ask him how the heck they can split with New England but keep losing to the Bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yeah, no secret about the defense. Run anything long enough and other teams will figure it out. Also college ball rarely runs a 3-4 so the personnel aren't there to do it in the pros, at least right away, and players have to learn to do things a little differently. They kept DLB and his 3-4 about two years too long and Butler didn't change it fast enough either.

For all his faults, MT is still a top five head coach in this game although I think that says more about the rest of the fucktards than it boosts him. Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, and Bud Grant would never lose a game against most of these dumbfucks.

Last edited:
Wow sounds like there was a pervasive bullying problem including the coaches, you don't blame someone for being bullied because their weird. That is just total bullshit. I have a son who was bullied because he was weird (he has tourettes) luckily he grew to be 6'5" and fought back enough to lessen it but it was not his fault he got bullied no matter how weird he is.

After his opinion on the bullying I lost all respect for any other part of his opinion and am appalled you would respect that opinion on bullying. I saw the bullying crap first hand in my years in football even at the college level because I was also not your prototypical ******* jock and had likes and interests different then the cro magnon idiots in the locker room.

I’m not saying you are wrong to view it that way. He said Martin was weird and soft. Soft never works. Weird, I’d have to ask how so.

Like you said he’s coaching some cro magnon idiots or a room full of extremely big and strong alpha males.

I’m not saying I was fine with the reply, I’m just telling you what the organization thought.

I played and once coached too. In high school our coach used to tell people bullying or in a fight to hurry up because “ I’m getting the winner “. That pretty much ended it.

But that won’t work above high school level. If you saw it too, how was it handled by the coaching staff?

I always said Incognito would look good in Black & Gold but at this point the OL is good enough that we don't need him.

but I will tell you coached some team in our division

Yeah I really care about what some coach in our division has to say. You know the same division the Steelers have been owning for the most part.

by the list of coaches i saw it could have been Washburn a ex rats coach.

Regardless he hasn't been in the Steelers locker room day in and day out. So I put very little stock into your report coach.

Last edited:
I’m not saying you are wrong to view it that way. He said Martin was weird and soft. Soft never works. Weird, I’d have to ask how so.

Like you said he’s coaching some cro magnon idiots or a room full of extremely big and strong alpha males.

I’m not saying I was fine with the reply, I’m just telling you what the organization thought.

I played and once coached too. In high school our coach used to tell people bullying or in a fight to hurry up because “ I’m getting the winner “. That pretty much ended it.

But that won’t work above high school level. If you saw it too, how was it handled by the coaching staff?

In college it was strictly mental **** and the coaches ignored it. At the High School level I had two different experiences in PA it was a ritualized initiation of the whole class and it was in reality a team building thing that was unofficially condoned by the coaches and other than that it was a very close knit group after that in OH my last two years initiations were of any kind were strictly forbidden and in the end it was a less cohesive more bullying antagonistic atmosphere. Now though your not even allowed to fight back in HS which makes it worse. In reality though the mental **** they did in college would be potentially more damaging to a "soft" player long term. Martin could not have been too soft to get there in the first place. For me personally in HS I handled it by simply being that much better than the idiots, and on the practice and game field shutting them up with my play.

So I got a little curious which coach this might be and went to the Miami Dolphins coaching bios. Two of the first three had afc north experience. I really barely recognize more than one name. The OC looks more like he might run a Safeway , the TE coach looks like Pittburgh dad and the guy at the bottom looks like he is 14.

I don't know, devils advocate.....................TOMLIN is a "product of the franchise" not the other way around.

A-N-D fpr the defense and the blitz,......... it don't take no NFL coach to figure it out being outdated for years............. I could have even told you that, I wanted OUTSIDE organization as our new DC.

Salute the nation
We do need some fresh philosophical coaching ideas.
Definitely need outside the organization perspectives. We're too traditional in approach.

Chances this is a do or die year for cool shades?

They haven't had the talent on defense to run the 3-4 in years. Bad drafting on defense has made it the weak link. And the guy who they did hit a homerun with in Ryan Shazier more than likely will never play again.

They play 10 ******* yards off of receivers and the middle of the field has been a joke for at least 3 years.

Ya know it’s funny I was reading something the other day on Tomlin’s one year as a defensive coordinator with the Vikings and that defense ranked in the bottom half of the NFL. I thought that to be interesting since defense was suppose to be this guys forte. Thought that was telling.

I’ll say this much. If things do not improve with overall communication, leadership, game and clock management, discipline, readiness and game preparation Rooney and Colbert need to take a strong look at Tomlin.
And if while Ben and AB are together if they don’t reach a super bowl I’de think real hard before extending his contract again.

Ya know it’s funny I was reading something the other day on Tomlin’s one year as a defensive coordinator with the Vikings and that defense ranked in the bottom half of the NFL. I thought that to be interesting since defense was suppose to be this guys forte. Thought that was telling.

I’ll say this much. If things do not improve with overall communication, leadership, game and clock management, discipline, readiness and game preparation Rooney and Colbert need to take a strong look at Tomlin.
And if while Ben and AB are together if they don’t reach a super bowl I’de think real hard before extending his contract again.

I agree, but it will never happen, Tomlin will eventually leave on his own terms.

Chances this is a do or die year for cool shades?

No. 1) The Steelers do not changes HC's very often and 2) the creators of the Rooney Rule will never fire their First Black Head Coach. Best we can hope for is they don't give him a contract extension unless he steps it up in order to light a fire under his ***. Of course I thought they should have done that the last time when the defense, red zone offense, and ST's all sucked, but they re-upped Cool Shades for another two years anyway. At the very least put a clause in his contract that pays him $5 million for beating Belicheat and $10 million for winning the SB and see if that helps.

I think they extended CMVLT's contract last year, a year to early in my opinion. They haven't held Cool Shades accountable for quite some time so what makes you thing they suddenly will??????

Are there WORSE coaches out there.......YES,.. Are there better prepared coaches out there..............YES

Mike Tomlin isn't as good as his record indicates and has yet to step over to elite status. He is pretty good but needs help in a couple departments then he will have his shot.

Salute the nation

Iron City, that’s just it! They have got to start holding him accountable. If we’re ever going to win another trophy it has to start with Tomlin. I’m not saying fire the man. No, I’m saying he must improve his team in the areas that I mentioned and be held accountable just like any other HC.

I agree, but it will never happen, Tomlin will eventually leave on his own terms.

Tomlin would not last without Ben and Colbert

If we have a losing season he should be fired, but probably would slide.

A more likely scenario is the Steelers simply let his contact expire and pick a new head coach.

So players say they would actually like you be a pro bowler instead of winning the SB. Really?

YOU bet. Being average and on a SB winning team doesn't net you any more money BUT being in the probowl shows how good you are thus NETTING more coin. It's all about the money, ask Mr. Bell................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Salute the nation