• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Target Down 5 Billion Since Embracing Trans Bathroom Policy

Correction, we are funding our schools in affluent areas. The ones in low income areas don't get jack ****. Trust me, I work in one. And I'm not just talking about the inner city ghetto schools, I'm talking about rural America. The salaries at my school were pretty low to begin with, but the incentive was to stay there for years until your annual raise eventually got you up to a respectable salary. However, now because of the terrible financial situation, there is no money to do that, so a halt was placed on annual salary increases 5 years ago with no end in site. But if you go 30 miles down the road to an affluent area and it is like a completely different world. There is a vast difference between schools.
Who is paying your salary? You're funded. You want more money, but we are funding your school too.

Who is paying your salary? You're funded. You want more money, but we are funding your school too.

My, my, you are one bitter **** aren't ya? So what you are saying is in essence if I get ANY salary I should shut up and be grateful because it's taxpayer money? It sounds like you hated your high school experience and have an axe to grind. By the way, kiss my ***.

Correction, we are funding our schools in affluent areas. The ones in low income areas don't get jack ****. Trust me, I work in one. And I'm not just talking about the inner city ghetto schools, I'm talking about rural America. The salaries at my school were pretty low to begin with, but the incentive was to stay there for years until your annual raise eventually got you up to a respectable salary. However, now because of the terrible financial situation, there is no money to do that, so a halt was placed on annual salary increases 5 years ago with no end in site. But if you go 30 miles down the road to an affluent area and it is like a completely different world. There is a vast difference between schools.

A lot of that comes down to culture/perspective as well. In rural areas if you mess up, the whole town knows about it and you lose social respectability. In the inner city you get labeled as a thug---result= so what?

Just the way this country is now

My, my, you are one bitter **** aren't ya? So what you are saying is in essence if I get ANY salary I should shut up and be grateful because it's taxpayer money? It sounds like you hated your high school experience and have an axe to grind. By the way, kiss my ***.

part of the problem with "underfunded schools" is that when new funds come, they go to teacher raises because the union is strong. The problems are not with the funds, it is where they are spent, either going to teacher salaries or just generally pissed away by incompetent local politicians and bureaucrats.

Wait, whos bitter?

part of the problem with "underfunded schools" is that when new funds come, they go to teacher raises because the union is strong. The problems are not with the funds, it is where they are spent, either going to teacher salaries....
How in the world is that a problem?

Last edited:

It's a problem when the school budget is being cut in other crucial areas to give the teachers (via the union) their raises.

I have no experience with huge schools in huge cities. I just know from my own experiences in both rural Ohio and rural Pennsylvania. I can tell you for my district and the 5 or 6 other low income districts in the immediate vicinity it is an absolute, iron clad truth. None of them have a pot to piss in.

Having said that, not all schools in huge cities are well funded. Have you seen the pictures those kids in places like Detroit have posted online of their schools in the past year? The ones where the goddamn ceilings are caving in and falling into the middle of the hallway and pictures of classroom walls with mold growing everywhere? I would venture to say that the financial situation in those schools are not good either.

Well, that would all come down to who is at the top of each district and deciding how that money is spent I guess.

Correction, we are funding our schools in affluent areas. The ones in low income areas don't get jack ****. Trust me, I work in one. And I'm not just talking about the inner city ghetto schools, I'm talking about rural America. The salaries at my school were pretty low to begin with,.

part of the problem with "underfunded schools" is that when new funds come, they go to teacher raises because the union is strong. The problems are not with the funds, it is where they are spent, either going to teacher salaries or just generally pissed away by incompetent local politicians and bureaucrats.

This is an interesting topic because this conversation just went on at our last family picnic. My sister in law is an assistance directer of county schools ( or sumpthin' like that ) and she had a couple things to share with us.

One was the topic at hand and it all seems to go to the average tax base income x the population divided by the political fortitude, which I probably didn't get completely correct but I did understand that the smaller the tax base, the poorer the people in that base ...the worse the situation. In short, no money. I also think, without her spelling it out, that union obligations are factored into the deal. Retirement costs, union activities and local minimum union negotiated standards all play into the equation. Class size, tenure, minimum raises, etc etc.

I would be curious Supersteeler, at how much money is collected per student in your district and how much of that actually goes to educating students. Our district here has that same problem, no money but I haven't dug into the exact metrics yet...jus too old and lazy, I guess.

The second topic, I didn't get to hear but snippets of due to others talking over her but it concerned life span. Evidently this next generation is purported to be the first generation that is not expected to outlive their parents. I will have to wait for the next gathering to get details but from what I gathered the health is so poor in these kids that their average lifespan has been officially downgraded to a number lower than that of the previous generation for the first time in...I don't know, maybe forever ?.

I firmly believe that academic achievement has more to do with parental involvement than budget.Sure, bigger budgets can afford to pay better teachers, and provide more resources, but basic math, science, and reading skills can be still be taught with limited resources, if parents are involved. . And not only continuing the education process at home, but holding the schools accountable for the quality of education.

There is a parent of a player on my son's sports team that teaches 8th grade in the Pgh Public Schools. She gave her son's 3rd grade math test to her 8th grade class, and only 2 out of 20 passed. Where is the breakdown? I am sure those students get report cards sent home. I am also sure that the parents of those kids place little value on education, and neglect to take action to remedy the situation. And the beat goes on.

In PA it's a problem. My father-in-law retired from his school teacher job at age 53 with full paid lifetime benefits. His former school district now has huge fiscal problems. My mom retired from her school administrator job after 25 years with a pension that pays 80% of her final salary. This is my own family members and I'm saying it's ridiculous.

I'm saying it's ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, On Wednesday, 43 Republican members of Congress joined the Democrats to vote for President Barack Obama’s transgender agenda. Now they’re trying to spin their vote.
http://click.heritage.org/HM0030K0rpXYrTP1erH00Cs

Still don't understand ? Maybe this short film will help.

New York City is now fining people up to $250,000 for “gender identity” “discrimination” if they use the wrong pronoun. Meanwhile, “discrimination” on the basis of “sexual orientation” can be something as reasonable as an adoption agency preferring married moms and dads for orphans, than other arrangements.

Congress should not be ratifying Obama’s radical transgender agenda and imposing these outcomes on private employers just because they contract with the government. All Americans should be free to contract with the government without penalty because of their reasonable beliefs about contentious issues. The federal government should not use government contracting to reshape civil society about controversial issues that have nothing to do with the federal contract at stake.

There is no good reason why 43 Republican members of Congress should be working with the Obama administration to force private businesses that do contract work for the government to embrace the government’s radical transgender agenda. Nothing in the Constitution requires this.

Here is a list of the 43 Republicans who voted for the amendment:

Justin Amash, Mich.
Susan Brooks, Ind.
Mike Coffman, Colo.
Ryan Costello, Pa.
Carlos Curbelo, Fla.
Rodney Davis, Ill.
Jeff Denham, Calif.
Charlie Dent, Pa.
Mario Diaz-Balart, Fla.
Bob Dold, Ill.
Daniel Donovan, N.Y.
Tom Emmer, Minn.
Michael Fitzpatrick, Pa.
Rodney Frelinghuysen, N.J.
Chris Gibson, N.Y.
Joe Heck, Nev.
Will Hurd, Texas
Darrell Issa, Calif.
David Jolly, Fla.
John Katko, N.Y.
Adam Kinzinger, Ill.
Leonard Lance, N.J.
Frank LoBiondo, N.J.
Tom MacArthur, N.J.
Martha McSally, Ariz.
Pat Meehan, Pa.
Luke Messer, Ind.
Erik Paulsen, Minn.
Bruce Poliquin, Maine
Tom Reed, N.Y.
David Reichert, Wash.
Jim Renacci, Ohio
Tom Rooney, Fla.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Fla.
John Shimkus, Ill.
Elise Stefanik, N.Y.
Fred Upton, Mich.
David Valadao, Calif.
Greg Walden, Ore.
Mimi Walters, Calif.
David Young, Iowa
Todd Young, Ind.
Lee Zeldin, N.Y.

Not a deep thinker huh?

I happen to think teachers, particularly good teachers, should make a decent wage. But being you're such a deep thinker, that probably went over your head. Now back to Breibart's for you, I'm sure you're missing some breaking news of one sort or another.

I'm not bitter at all. You are a typical liberal who confuses pay with entitlement. You're getting paid, and your school is funded, and yes, if you are not getting paid enough you should shut the **** up and go get a different job. It is not our job to make you happy. And by the way, kiss MY *** you ******* whiner.

Last edited:
I happen to think teachers, particularly good teachers, should make a decent wage. But being you're such a deep thinker, that probably went over your head. Now back to Breibart's for you, I'm sure you're missing some breaking news of one sort or another.
The alternative to paying people what random liberals happen to think they deserve is the free market. That would involve value and performance based pay. How would you feel about that?

I firmly believe that academic achievement has more to do with parental involvement than budget.Sure, bigger budgets can afford to pay better teachers, and provide more resources, but basic math, science, and reading skills can be still be taught with limited resources, if parents are involved. . And not only continuing the education process at home, but holding the schools accountable for the quality of education.

There is a parent of a player on my son's sports team that teaches 8th grade in the Pgh Public Schools. She gave her son's 3rd grade math test to her 8th grade class, and only 2 out of 20 passed. Where is the breakdown? I am sure those students get report cards sent home. I am also sure that the parents of those kids place little value on education, and neglect to take action to remedy the situation. And the beat goes on.
You would not believe how they go about teaching the basic skills these days. The combination of common core and stupid teachers using that as an opportunity to try and reinvent the wheel is truly incredible. Here is a peek into the mindset - a conversation with a 6th grade science teacher - [Me] "Why do they have to do all this stuff with the "interactive notebook"? None of it has to do with science, it's all about doing your interactive notebook properly. It's more like an art project. Why can't you just teach from the book? Then they know what to study, and everything they need is right there in the book." [Idiot boy] "But then I would not be additive."

I **** you not.

The alternative to paying people what random liberals happen to think they deserve is the free market. That would involve value and performance based pay. How would you feel about that?
These are I presume public schools we're talking about. I'm sure you and Ayn Rand would welcome all schools to be run as private, dog-eat-dog, capitalist entities. God forbid tax money is spent on education, health care, senior citizens and the like. **** them all, let them ward for themselves. You want a good education, pay top dollar to send your kids to school. Not enough money, **** you, you're on your own. How dare teachers ask for more pay. Take it or leave it buddy, if you don't make enough, find another job. Public schools are a waste of valuable property anyway, much better use of the land would be to develop strip malls and hotels. I get your drift, you never disappoint.

Last edited:
These are I presume public schools we're talking about. I'm sure you and Ayn Rand would welcome all schools to be run as private, dog-eat-dog, capitalist entities. God forbid tax money is spent on education, health care, senior citizens and the like. **** them all, let them ward for themselves. You want a good education, pay top dollar to send your kids to school. Not enough money, **** you, you're on your own. How dare teachers ask for more pay. Take it or leave it buddy, if you don't make enough, find another job. Public schools are a waste of valuable property anyway, much better use of the land would be to develop strip malls and hotels. I get your drift, you never disappoint.
No you don't get my drift. You never disappoint.

The way math is taught now is idiotic. My GFs sun is 10 and some of the math he brings home is crazy. Getting the answers right is easy, but the way they have you break down the problems and draw boxes and this and that makes no sense.
My uncle is a college professor and he some of the stories he tells about his grad students are amazing. We are not talking about general students being forced to take certain classes, these are grad students who are going to work in the field. He said the one student used "fastier and deepiest" in a paper when discussing a creek. I guess the rest of the paper was just ridiculous as well.
As for learning there are two types reciting and text book and actually understand. Some teachers basically make you recite the text book where others make you figure out how to apply the text book to real problems. That was the main difference between me and a lot of kids in my science classes. They could recite the text book cover to cover, but no idea what it meant. I had some books I never opened. Just had to take his notes and pay attention.
Teachers / schools seem to focus too much on intent / effort whether it is right or wrong doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Shhhh.....the unions have that ALL covered. The Free Market doesn't matter when you've got the unions on your side. And when the systems fail, and the logical educated world sees the major contributor to that failure was the unions due to the dire imbalance they cause, the cries of foul from the Left will split your ears from far and wide.

You were accused this week of being a rational poster on this board. Yet you go and post these types of insults and this type of drivel and ruin it all.

I went to public schools. In a rural, 2 stoplight town. I ended up an evil 1%er (believe me or not).

My wife went to public schools.

My 16 year old goes to a public school. Hasn't had a B since 7th grade. Is getting near perfect scores on all of his AP tests. 13 year old is on track to do the same.

We could go the private school route, but choose not to. I believe in social education as well as class room education, and I believe Mom & Dad are 10 times more important to education than a school. My 16 year old, a HS QB, in his prime, is at this very moment sitting in the room next to me doing homework. It's the 3rd time on Memorial Day Weekend he's hit the books. Evidence being good parenting is critical.

So F'off with your assumptions that are often off the reservation Tibs. I believe in public schools. I succeeded in public schools (and not great ones). I want tax moneys going into public schools. I also believe in school vouchers and choice for those stuck with terrible schools. Not all of us win the lottery ticket and end up in a good school system (aka, those poor kids in Baltimore who have no choice but to continue to go to those terrible public schools, that are OVER-funded but Democratically run). Teachers should make more money, period. They are are our lifeblood. I believe unions have no place in education and have led to many of the problems we see in places like Baltimore.

Stop reading your scripts from MSNBC and assuming we all fit this stupid stereotyped biography you've regurgitated above.

Last edited:
Jeeeeezus Tim, my post was completely sarcastic. Everything I wrote I did mocking Charles Davenport getting his panties in a bunch about paying teachers et al.

Teachers should make more money, period. They are our lifeblood.

Wow, we actually agree on something.

Last edited:
Teachers in our district make an average of 90,000/year. Most have a bachelor's degree only. Many of the teachers here pad their last few years of work with extra assignments like band director, coach, musical director, etc.and then their pension for life is based on that ending salary. Yes, pension and health insurance for the rest of their life...we have to save for our own retirement. That's a pretty nice perk. Teaching in this district is not hard. These are the children of super achievers for the most part.

Teachers who actually have to teach at a challenging place may be underpaid...I wouldn't object to paying them more. In our district there are something like 500 applicants for every position so obviously the pay ain't so bad. Because of the screwed up way we handle education int his country, it's usually the teachers with the easiest jobs who get paid the most and the hardest jobs who get paid the least. Show me a teacher who can take a challenging group of kids and get them to succeed and I will be happy to pay a lot more. Most teachers hate the idea of actually having to show results, they want to be paid solely on the basis of time served and not judged on any sort of achievement or accomplishment. Must be nice.

Teachers in our district make an average of 90,000/year.
Damn, that's not bad. I wonder how much teachers get paid in other parts of the country, is it really at that level? Nothing to sneeze at.

...their pension for life is based on that ending salary. Yes, pension and health insurance for the rest of their life...
That seems a bit overboard. Wonder if that too is the case elsewhere, or just in certain school districts.

Show me a teacher who can take a challenging group of kids and get them to succeed and I will be happy to pay a lot more.
Agreed

Most teachers hate the idea of actually having to show results, they want to be paid solely on the basis of time served and not judged on any sort of achievement or accomplishment.
Teachers, just like anyone else, need to be accountable to job performance standards.