• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The end of the world as we know it ... and I feel fine.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In my first presidential election, I voted for Ronald Reagan to replace Jimmy Carter. I have always valued the presidential election, and believed that those running mattered to me. Reagan proved to be exactly what this nation needed - humble, inspiring, and successful.

I talked with my dad at some length during the 1980 campaign. Dad worked closely with Reagan when he was governor of California. Reagan was not worried about getting credit, or avoiding blame, and just wanted problems fixed. My dad is a lifelong Republican, but distrusted and hated Richard Nixon and warned me that most politicians are not looking out for me, or him, or indeed the vast majority of Americans. Politicians are looking out for their wallet, their re-election fund, and the next election. The fact that Reagan was different did not change that precept.

As I have become older, I appreciate more and more how correct my father is. Yes, I will pay more in social security taxes if Hillary becomes President, and possibly more in income tax. **** 'em. I will just take less in salary and run up business expenses like corporate trips to Europe. Do politicians think I earn money by being stupid? **** 'em.

Basically, this election will involve a choice between a guy I am just not comfortable running the military and a woman I don't trust as far as I can spit. The giant megalith known as the United States economy will lumber forward, no matter which hack gets elected. The debt will continue to mount as the true cost of Obamacare kicks in, and when the geniuses in charge of Democratic business ideas enact a $20 minimum wage. Meanwhile, I will continue to work, and pay my bills, and enjoy life while approaching possible retirement. So **** 'em.

My dad was right. Politicians are self-absorbed, conniving, scheming low-lifes who actually advertise their price tags. Hillary costs more than most, no doubt, but the conglomeration of back-scratching career politicians in Washington, D.C. all live and breathe power, and power comes from taking my money and transferring my money to donors, who return the favor by donating more money ... and the cycle continues.

So dad, this one's for you - **** 'em. **** 'em all. Good luck trying to take more of my money, and good luck with the idea that spending money you don't have and never will have is sound economic policy.

Are you moving to Canada?

Steeltime, clearly Trump is not a big gov politician. He's a shrew businessman who will trim the fat, cut wasteful spending and lower taxes.

I talked with my dad at some length during the 1980 campaign. Dad worked closely with Reagan when he was governor of California. Reagan was not worried about getting credit, or avoiding blame, and just wanted problems fixed. My dad is a lifelong Republican, but distrusted and hated Richard Nixon and warned me that most politicians are not looking out for me, or him, or indeed the vast majority of Americans. Politicians are looking out for their wallet, their re-election fund, and the next election. The fact that Reagan was different did not change that precept.

When you look at all of the qualities it requires to be a career politician, like lying through your teeth, and screwing your friends, etc., I can say with certainty that a career politician is the worst of humanity. This is why I will never vote for another. I realize that this may mean I will never vote again.

Sounds to me like Trump would be someone your Dad would run to the ballot box to vote for. You say you don't trust Trump with running our military yet he has the best solution for our military and vets. Help the vets in any way possible and make our military strong again. Obama and the Dems have gutted it. Seems to me, you just don't want to vote Trump even though you and your Dad probably agree with him on most things.

Rush isn't a leftist....

That was the point, ma'am.

njuoddtbedzqab5yumwe.png

Build the military and cut taxes, wasn't that Reagan's formula for starting the rise of the national debt in the first place.

Build the military and cut taxes, wasn't that Reagan's formula for starting the rise of the national debt in the first place.

yeah, should have continued following that remarkable Carter economic policy.

As opposed to gutting the military, taking over healthcare, and building the most massive national debt ever seen more quickly than ever?

You say you don't trust Trump with running our military yet he has the best solution for our military and vets. Help the vets in any way possible and make our military strong again.

Maybe he needs something more substantive than some form of "something really terrific" for every answer.

Incorrect.

The tax reductions bumped up the deficit short-term, but led directly to the massive economic growth in the 1980's and into the 1990's, the longest sustained economic growth in our nation's history.

That massive economic growth resulted in taxes pouring into the Fed and reduction of the deficit by billions:

P28ZmpjGqC5_r6lrh0rJmdcLN2_K8YuLkWXwuVi46pW1D61KnLboqERe6Xle84nZQdsrHqHVN7680y8hxKmAIfInGdl7Mw6eaF701sKVJ8_qPhv0enitOFSIzMVTZhyACA

6a00e554717cc98833016304dbd2a5970d-pi

Reagan%20tax%20cuts%20and%20revenue.jpg

21Steelers, stop regurgitating talking points from some web site. Do your own research. Look at the nation's economic performance, tax revenues, spending and deficits over the past 60 years and learn what works, and what does not.

One thing you will see is that tax cuts almost universally result in a short-term decline in tax revenues, followed by a substantial overall increase in tax revenues. Another thing you will learn is that Jimmy Carter's "print money until the printing presses break down" economic strategy was a failure, but in point of fact, he reined in Fed spending quite a bit (due at least in part to plummeting tax revenues stemming from his failed economic policies).