• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the game

The thing is no system works if you don't win the battle at the LOS. SF punched us in the mouth on both sides of the ball yesterday.

Whatever we did in preseason worked. Obviously it was against worse players and 2nd stringers. Let's face it - there's a good chance SF wins the Super Bowl last year with a healthy QB. The question - is our OL really improved or is it going to be the same old story as the last few seasons? If it's the latter, no system will work.
1000% percent correct. But also if you have a predictable system i.e. 85% of your pass plays are only a couple of yards to the outside you allow the opposing team to really only have to defend a much smaller area of the field. You put everyone on the offense at a disadvantage. The old term of keeping the defense honest. Obviously this is not the only problem but it is a big part of it.

Gotta wonder if it is all scheme or not. We keep bringing guys in over the last decade or so and keep having O line issues. Are we that bad at talent or is the scheme and coaching that bad. (maybe some of both). I'm sure someone with a better mind for this has better insight than I do.

Just saying I don’t care how long any player has been in the league you never know. Who would have thought Tommie Maddox had a season like that in him. Kurt Warner others. Not saying Mason or particularly Dobbs will make it, we just can’t say until they get a shot. Honestly I am shocked Dobbs ever got a shot. Great guy. Talented physically but as smart as he is he seemed too slow processing under pressure. The whole way back to UT, he sucked in the 4th quarter. Give Mason Dobbs legs and he would have been something. I like Mason but only in a system where he can be a true pocket passer with great protection. He is a real throwback.
We have been over this many times. Mason had a shot. Mason had a whole year pretty much to prove he was capable of being the starter. He has had more than a few training camps. He had more of a chance than a lot of guys get. When i watch the guy play he is too hesitant, telegraphs his throws and just takes way to long to decide. He's just not a NFL caliber QB. If he was someone would have snatched him up in free agency. There's no shortage of teams looking for a QB. Even Baker Mayfield and others are still getting chances to compete and start. Mason got almost zero interest in free agency which is why he is back as a 3rd string for us. That says all you need to know about Mason Rudolph.

We have been over this many times. Mason had a shot. Mason had a whole year pretty much to prove he was capable of being the starter. He has had more than a few training camps. He had more of a chance than a lot of guys get. When i watch the guy play he is too hesitant, telegraphs his throws and just takes way to long to decide. He's just not a NFL caliber QB. If he was someone would have snatched him up in free agency. There's no shortage of teams looking for a QB. Even Baker Mayfield and others are still getting chances to compete and start. Mason got almost zero interest in free agency which is why he is back as a 3rd string for us. That says all you need to know about Mason Rudolph.
OK if you say so. He certainly didn't get a full season. he has only started what 12 games total? I am not calling for him to replace KP or anyone but the truth is people think he has had more of a shot than he actually has.

OK if you say so. He certainly didn't get a full season. he has only started what 12 games total? I am not calling for him to replace KP or anyone but the truth is people think he has had more of a shot than he actually has.
:juggle:

Mason Rudolf is 3rd string back up QB. Just my observation.

Salute the nation

Then so did Kenny. So we better bench his ***.

Mason got a significant amount of starts in his second season then spot starts in year 3 and 4… he has gotten a larger look with experience than Pickett has…
Pickett still had more starts and pass attempts in his career. So he has had his chance. We should bench him and move on.
QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%Yds TDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/A Y/CY/G RateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV
7-6-027643563.4263681.8112.513243.5576.15.39.6188.375.8322166.95.184.46347
vs
QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%Yds TDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV
5-4-123638461.52366164.2112.910940.3766.25.710.0139.280.9161324.05.595.15215

Are you seeing how stupid it is to say Mason had a shot but Pickett hasn't? Mason was brought in too soon when people were still expecting a Roethlisberger type entrance. Sorry, not going to happen. Not with Mason and certainly not with Kenny. The team has moved on. Great. I hope Kenny can turn it around. Because if he doesn't we are year 2 into 5 years of rebuilding.

Last edited:
Pickett still had more starts and pass attempts in his career. So he has had his chance. We should bench him and move on.
QBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV
vs
QBrecCmpAttCmp%YdsTDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV

Are you seeing how stupid it is to say Mason had a shot but Pickett hasn't? Mason was brought in too soon when people were still expecting a Roethlisberger type entrance. Sorry, not going to happen. Not with Mason and certainly not with Kenny. The team has moved on. Great. I hope Kenny can turn it around. Because if he doesn't we are year 2 into 5 years of rebuilding.

Look i am fine with Mason, but it is ridiculous to compare pickett starting as a true rookie to rudolph getting starts as a year 2 player. Rudolph is a pocket passer… he could be good but nobody wants that right now… that agenda has sailed.

No, but we all can see how stupid it is to compare a QB who is one game removed from his rookie season to a career backup in his sixth year in the league.

Look i am fine with Mason, but it is ridiculous to compare pickett starting as a true rookie to rudolph getting starts as a year 2 player. Rudolph is a pocket passer… he could be good but nobody wants that right now… that agenda has sailed.
Mason would have been 6 weeks younger than Pickett. Keep making up excuses. Ok, we give Kenny an entire year starting for free. What happens if the way he played last week is just what we are to expect? I mean Rudolphs first start in year two (without a preseason or training camp being prepared as the starter) he was 14/27 174 yards 2/1 vs San Fran. Again, not great but he didn't lose the game for us. 20-24 and we were in it.

Mason would have been 6 weeks younger than Pickett. Keep making up excuses. Ok, we give Kenny an entire year starting for free. What happens if the way he played last week is just what we are to expect? I mean Rudolphs first start in year two (without a preseason or training camp being prepared as the starter) he was 14/27 174 yards 2/1 vs San Fran. Again, not great but he didn't lose the game for us. 20-24 and we were in it.
Pickett will start for at least half the season barring injury even if he sucks, and rudolph will not replace him if they did pull him. We saw last year that they have no desire for a pocket passer and frankly nobody wants those right now… its tge same as NT or FB… they are just outdated so coaches and front office guys won’t really give them a shot. That doesn’t make it right, but it is what it is…

Pickett will start for at least half the season barring injury even if he sucks, and rudolph will not replace him if they did pull him. We saw last year that they have no desire for a pocket passer and frankly nobody wants those right now… its tge same as NT or FB… they are just outdated so coaches and front office guys won’t really give them a shot. That doesn’t make it right, but it is what it is…
I know the fad is running QBs. But trust me it is a fad. I am not saying you want you QB to be a statue I am saying you want him to run when there's no other option. You want him to look downfield until the last second and then if he see's a hole and green to run. Otherwise, throw it away. I would rather have a statue with a clock in his head that didn't take sacks over a Lamar Jackson. Hell, my biggest problem with Rudolph is his internal clock isn't the best. He holds the ball looking for that big play too many times. I think the level of athleticism is actually fine. He isn't going to run a 4.5 but he ran a 4.9 at the combine and he actually worked on getting faster when Canada became OC. I wouldn't doubt he is a 4.8 40 guy now. Again not fast but quick enough to run away from a D-lineman and scamper for a first down here and there.

I said it before and I will say it again. We gave up on Rudolph too soon. He likely never gets a shot to start and will bounce around the NFL as a backup. Not going to cry for a guy who will be in his 30's and can retire. And I will say this again. We should give Kenny 3 years before making a decision. Give HIM a fair opportunity. An opportunity Mason never received. Because all giving up on him mid way through this season does is put us right back on that cycle of turnstile QBs like the Browns and Bengals have had for decades. I don't want to be them. Even if we missed on Pickett I want to say he had a shot.

I know the fad is running QBs. But trust me it is a fad. I am not saying you want you QB to be a statue I am saying you want him to run when there's no other option. You want him to look downfield until the last second and then if he see's a hole and green to run. Otherwise, throw it away. I would rather have a statue with a clock in his head that didn't take sacks over a Lamar Jackson. Hell, my biggest problem with Rudolph is his internal clock isn't the best. He holds the ball looking for that big play too many times. I think the level of athleticism is actually fine. He isn't going to run a 4.5 but he ran a 4.9 at the combine and he actually worked on getting faster when Canada became OC. I wouldn't doubt he is a 4.8 40 guy now. Again not fast but quick enough to run away from a D-lineman and scamper for a first down here and there.

I said it before and I will say it again. We gave up on Rudolph too soon. He likely never gets a shot to start and will bounce around the NFL as a backup. Not going to cry for a guy who will be in his 30's and can retire. And I will say this again. We should give Kenny 3 years before making a decision. Give HIM a fair opportunity. An opportunity Mason never received. Because all giving up on him mid way through this season does is put us right back on that cycle of turnstile QBs like the Browns and Bengals have had for decades. I don't want to be them. Even if we missed on Pickett I want to say he had a shot.

I was just stating the facts of the current NFL. Stationary qbs are just not welcome right now… front office guys see it as too limiting on offensive coordinators…

Yeah. That is my point to people saying Mason got a true shot. Fact is with the inept OC’s we have had for awhile no one has gotten a fair shot.
I will give you that… i was going more from the angle that Rudolph’s style is not a fit to the RPO stuff OCs love this era

QBrec CmpAtt Cmp%Yds TDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/A Y/CY/G RateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV
vs
QBrec CmpAtt Cmp%Yds TDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV

There you go trying to take pot shots at posters to inflate your agenda filled crap.

They saw enough of Mason and deemed him unworthy. They are still evaluating Kenny, it is their time table not yours.

I seriously don't like you. You like cooch are a massive tool.

Yeah. That is my point to people saying Mason got a true shot. Fact is with the inept OC’s we have had for awhile no one has gotten a fair shot.
Mason got enough of a look. That is their evaluation of him that they decided to move on. If other teams thought he was given an incompetent look he would be a backup or starter elsewhere. But what they saw from him they obviously wasn't thrilled with either.

These are the true facts of the situation.

QBrec CmpAtt Cmp%Yds TDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/A Y/CY/G RateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV
vs
QBrec CmpAtt Cmp%Yds TDTD%IntInt%1DSucc%LngY/AAY/AY/CY/GRateQBRSkYdsSk%NY/AANY/A4QCGWDAV

I had a whole reply typed up then i remembered our past conversations about Mason and your borderline unhealthy stalker's love for him and decided to go with my past response.

Your so pretty!

Mason had years of practice on the team to learn and get ready (not to mention getting to watch and learn from a HOF QB). Pickett got thrown to the wolves due to Tomlins plan being spur of the moment (at least that's how it seemed). Also Kenny did show improvement as the season progressed. Mason is just Mason. He didn't really get worse but he didn't get better either.

Free agency is still the ultimate truth. If the guy was worth something in this league he would be on another team. It would have cost next to nothing for 31 other teams to take a flyer on him and yet nobody did. Josh Dobbs is starting right now and Mason Rudolph is a 3rd stringer! That's a hell of a indictment on the guy right there. lets not even get into who the 2nd string QB's in the league are ahead of him. And every single one of those teams could have had Mason for pretty cheap yet they didn't.

And he came back to a team that he felt wronged him last year and still signed knowing he would be a 3rd stringer and probably not even suit up this year barring injury. I mean what else do we need to say about this guy other than I'm surprised he is even back with the team.

Last edited:
I had a whole reply typed up then i remembered our past conversations about Mason and your borderline unhealthy stalker's love for him and decided to go with my past response.

Your so pretty!
There is more than that. He is smarter than everyone mentality. He could be a better GM crap. His opinions are always facts. Everyone that irritates him goes on ignore. This guy just might be worse than cooch.

He already has written off Pickett but Rudy the third stringer didn't get a fair shot. That way of thinking is just ridiculous.

Meh QBs traditionally spawn diverse opinions… I still know guys that think Ben was terrible and held us back… there were both people that liked and hated Kordell, O’Donnell, all of em.. even Bradshaw… and to some, backup qbs are always better options…

Meh QBs traditionally spawn diverse opinions… I still know guys that think Ben was terrible and held us back… there were both people that liked and hated Kordell, O’Donnell, all of em.. even Bradshaw… and to some, backup qbs are always better options…
Loved Ben but he held himself back I believe He was amazing but possibly could have been other worldly if he had applied himself more especially in the earlier years. Kordell might have done better in todays day an age with a coach that might have used him differently (we will never know). Never quite knew what to truly make of O'donnell.

Loved Ben but he held himself back I believe He was amazing but possibly could have been other worldly if he had applied himself more especially in the earlier years. Kordell might have done better in todays day an age with a coach that might have used him differently (we will never know). Never quite knew what to truly make of O'donnell.
Neil was fine until that SB. That is the stage a fan will never forget for better or worse.