• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three possible quarterback options for next season

I don't care for Willis. Strong and Ridder are interesting to me but not round 1 interesting. Pickett has turnover question marks and Corral is a little on the short side. List looks pretty accurate but I would move Willis down. I know most draft sites won't. I would like to see Strong and Ridder with a better supporting cast.
Pickett had only 7 interceptions in nearly 500 passing attempts this season. And 3 total fumbles. Ben (and his huge hands) had 11 fumbles for the Steelers.

What's your question?

Pickett had only 7 interceptions in nearly 500 passing attempts this season. And 3 total fumbles. Ben (and his huge hands) had 11 fumbles for the Steelers.

What's your question?
I was referring to his overall body of work. This season was a good year for him. But a 12 and 9 , 13 and 7, 13 and 7 TD to INT ratio the three seasons before that isn't exactly awe inspiring. So you can say for better or worse he is a one year wonder. Then in his one good year he opts out of the bowl game. When choosing a 1st round QB I would want a little more on the plate than that. Never mind my questions but a teams question should be is this a franchise QB or a college QB that had one good season.

Absolutely NO to Rodgers. Too much cap hit and too much draft capital. No way I am giving up multiple 1st round picks with as many holes as this team has. That cap space we have will go quick. Minkah will get a huge contract. DJ will get a contract. Then we need to see who we want to keep. If they offer Chuks starting RT money, that would be a decent hit and a big mistake. He isn't a starter in this league. Then, we need to sign a legit starter on the OL and DL, both will take a chunk of that cap. They may go after a reasonably priced veteran to start ahead of Rudolph but I doubt it. They will, however, bring in a 3rd QB as they will only have 2 on the roster unless they bring back Dobbs again.

Absolutely NO to Rodgers. Too much cap hit and too much draft capital. No way I am giving up multiple 1st round picks with as many holes as this team has. That cap space we have will go quick. Minkah will get a huge contract. DJ will get a contract. Then we need to see who we want to keep. If they offer Chuks starting RT money, that would be a decent hit and a big mistake. He isn't a starter in this league. Then, we need to sign a legit starter on the OL and DL, both will take a chunk of that cap. They may go after a reasonably priced veteran to start ahead of Rudolph but I doubt it. They will, however, bring in a 3rd QB as they will only have 2 on the roster unless they bring back Dobbs again.
Oddly enough he was our worst offensive lineman last season and our best one this year. Very telling about the current state of the offensive line.

I was referring to his overall body of work. This season was a good year for him. But a 12 and 9 , 13 and 7, 13 and 7 TD to INT ratio the three seasons before that isn't exactly awe inspiring. So you can say for better or worse he is a one year wonder. Then in his one good year he opts out of the bowl game. When choosing a 1st round QB I would want a little more on the plate than that. Never mind my questions but a teams question should be is this a franchise QB or a college QB that had one good season.
No, it wasn't a good year for Pickett. It was a great year. And no, I can't say he was a one-year wonder: The guy had over 12000 yards passing and 82 touchdowns in his career, with only 32 interceptions. He was a four-year starter, improved every season, and it culminated with a trip to New York for the Heisman ceremony. And now, he's a consensus first round pick. That's not enough on his plate?

Ben was nothing spectacular himself for his first two years at Miami when he had less than a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, before tearing it up in his final season with 37 and 10. He managed to put together a decent NFL career.

I think that is why he isn't talked about not knowing if he is coming out. For the record I like the kid from Ben to Bren doesn't sound bad. I would look at him round 2. Or if they love him a trade down in 1. If he was available I would throw him to the top of the list. I just was under the impression he would go back for another year...
It's official. Armstrong is staying at UVA.

It's official. Armstrong is staying at UVA.
There you go -- if the Steelers roll with Rudolph or Haskins next season, they will probably have a pretty good shot at Armstrong early in the 2023 draft.

There you go -- if the Steelers roll with Rudolph or Haskins next season, they will probably have a pretty good shot at Armstrong early in the 2023 draft.
I'm hoping. One can dream.

Roll with Rudolph next season and see what happens.

No, it wasn't a good year for Pickett. It was a great year. And no, I can't say he was a one-year wonder: The guy had over 12000 yards passing and 82 touchdowns in his career, with only 32 interceptions. He was a four-year starter, improved every season, and it culminated with a trip to New York for the Heisman ceremony. And now, he's a consensus first round pick. That's not enough on his plate?

Ben was nothing spectacular himself for his first two years at Miami when he had less than a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, before tearing it up in his final season with 37 and 10. He managed to put together a decent NFL career.
I don't hate the kid. He does interest me but as I said there is some risk there. We can agree to disagree but it is probably apples to oranges the difference in opinion. I think his value is low 1 high 2. I just prefer the lines to be shored up and I think that will be better value sitting there come the pick.

I don't hate the kid. He does interest me but as I said there is some risk there. We can agree to disagree but it is probably apples to oranges the difference in opinion. I think his value is low 1 high 2. I just prefer the lines to be shored up and I think that will be better value sitting there come the pick.
We can disagree, but I don't get the condemnation of the guy with the "one-year wonder" stuff just because Pickett put it all together in his last season. He was a good player who became a great player. That's a natural progression for a lot of young guys -- they have breakout years when **** finally clicks for them. Imagine that.

I doubt that Pickett will still be there in the 20s, so your questions won't have to turn into fears. If Tuitt and Alualu come back, the DL will be fine. The offensive line has needed to be shored up for years, so don't hold your breath that the Steelers will address that issue early in this draft.

Yes he said telepathically to me that he will sign a 4/5 year contract in the off-season. Said something about Pittsburgh is exactly where pedigrees of his stature belongs obviously. He looks forward to unleashing hell and checking out our state of the art laboratory.
Said he’s taking that Rodgers rate

We can disagree, but I don't get the condemnation of the guy with the "one-year wonder" stuff just because Pickett put it all together in his last season. He was a good player who became a great player. That's a natural progression for a lot of young guys -- they have breakout years when **** finally clicks for them. Imagine that.

I doubt that Pickett will still be there in the 20s, so your questions won't have to turn into fears. If Tuitt and Alualu come back, the DL will be fine. The offensive line has needed to be shored up for years, so don't hold your breath that the Steelers will address that issue early in this draft.
I don't condemn him. But I bet there is as many or more that fail after showing that one year impressive. It has been mentioned about his hands being small. He was in college a year longer than the Steelers usually target. Going off memory those prospects that had the one shiny year usually don't have 4 seasons of college. So without seeing growth step ladder in it each year there again will be one year concerns. Every prospect comes with a degree of concerns. Well the majority of them. So yeah he had a natural progression. He also took four seasons to naturally get there. He was an ok player who had a great year. We can both window dress it to our opinions but you can be sure different teams will weigh in on that. Some might feel like I do. Some might feel like you do. For the record I don't think he will fail or star. I think he will be somewhere in the middle. Not sure he is that franchise QB he better be if you are picking him mid 1.

I don't condemn him. But I bet there is as many or more that fail after showing that one year impressive. It has been mentioned about his hands being small. He was in college a year longer than the Steelers usually target. Going off memory those prospects that had the one shiny year usually don't have 4 seasons of college. So without seeing growth step ladder in it each year there again will be one year concerns. Every prospect comes with a degree of concerns. Well the majority of them. So yeah he had a natural progression. He also took four seasons to naturally get there. He was an ok player who had a great year. We can both window dress it to our opinions but you can be sure different teams will weigh in on that. Some might feel like I do. Some might feel like you do. For the record I don't think he will fail or star. I think he will be somewhere in the middle. Not sure he is that franchise QB he better be if you are picking him mid 1.

I will also add that typically these young QB's that end up work have one or two tangible skills that they can rely on once they hit the big league, whether it be a big arm (Allen, Herbert), or athletic studs (Jackson). And I am struggling to find Pickett's unique talent.

Also, while improving each year is a plus; however, taking 4 years to get there (in the ACC at that) is certainly concerning. You think fans will have the patience to wait 4 years (hell, even 3) to see him take the next step in the league?

He just looks like he may be maxed out.

That's like saying garbage is a level above trash.

Would rather let Haskins have a shot -- he may be a knucklehead but he's got talent. And TBH, they already know today if he's done the work required to even be considered for a shot. Showing up on time, in shape, etc. If he's still a knucklehead, we won't need to wait till next season to find out.
This.

Why keep Haskins on the roster if you don't give him game day chances??? We know Rudy is average. I want to see Dwayne play 3 consecutive games and then we can either praise him or kick him to the curb...

Berm

Joe Burrow was a 1 year college sensation and hasn't done too bad so far.

Joe Burrow was a 1 year college sensation and hasn't done too bad so far.
Yeah that one year was what 60TDs? Over 10 y/a. Over 70 percent completion percentage? That screamed stud.

I'd draft Pickett or no qb at all. I wouldn't break the bank on any 35+ year old qb either, not unless I was fairly certain I had a championship level team.

I'd probably go the very unsexy route and draft either OL or DL round one. Though that big monster Davis no.99 for Georgia would look fantastic on the Steelers defensive line.
Davis wasn’t highly recruited either

This.

Why keep Haskins on the roster if you don't give him game day chances??? We know Rudy is average. I want to see Dwayne play 3 consecutive games and then we can either praise him or kick him to the curb...

Berm
Rudy was short and very white. Average, yes, but he had heart to make one sack in garbage time. Give the little guy his due!

lol