• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three possible quarterback options for next season

I don't condemn him. But I bet there is as many or more that fail after showing that one year impressive. It has been mentioned about his hands being small. He was in college a year longer than the Steelers usually target. Going off memory those prospects that had the one shiny year usually don't have 4 seasons of college. So without seeing growth step ladder in it each year there again will be one year concerns. Every prospect comes with a degree of concerns. Well the majority of them. So yeah he had a natural progression. He also took four seasons to naturally get there. He was an ok player who had a great year. We can both window dress it to our opinions but you can be sure different teams will weigh in on that. Some might feel like I do. Some might feel like you do. For the record I don't think he will fail or star. I think he will be somewhere in the middle. Not sure he is that franchise QB he better be if you are picking him mid 1.
You're not condemning him, but then you type 16 more sentences bashing the guy. LOL.

Evidently, enough teams feel like I do, because Pickett is a consensus first round draft choice. But you're right, he'll never be any better than average because he took one more year in college to mature. Whatever you say, boss.

Joe Burrow was a 1 year college sensation and hasn't done too bad so far.
Yeah, but Burrow wasn't good enough to be the starter for Ohio State for his first two years in college, so that makes his "one-year wonder" season better than others. According to some people.

I will also add that typically these young QB's that end up work have one or two tangible skills that they can rely on once they hit the big league, whether it be a big arm (Allen, Herbert), or athletic studs (Jackson). And I am struggling to find Pickett's unique talent.

Also, while improving each year is a plus; however, taking 4 years to get there (in the ACC at that) is certainly concerning. You think fans will have the patience to wait 4 years (hell, even 3) to see him take the next step in the league?

He just looks like he may be maxed out.
If you don't think Pickett is athletic, then you haven't watched him play. He's not an "athletic stud" like Lamar Jackson, but he's a better passer with plenty of mobility.

It took Ben 3 years to get there in the mighty MAC. Somehow he wasn't maxed out at the time.

You're not condemning him, but then you type 16 more sentences bashing the guy. LOL.

Evidently, enough teams feel like I do, because Pickett is a consensus first round draft choice. But you're right, he'll never be any better than average because he took one more year in college to mature. Whatever you say, boss.
I was bashing him or critiquing him? I said he never will ? Or I said what I think he will do? I have been wrong before it won't hurt me if I am again. Not that type. Many of prospects had concerns and went on to star and some went on to bust. Good talk.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if you think Pickett is the greatest thing since sliced bread, the worst thing to come along since COVID, or are somewhere in between. He'll be looooooong gone by the time the Steelers pick. Most early mocks now have him going either to the Giants at 5 or Panthers at 6. And I would be OK with that.

Doesn't matter if you think Pickett is the greatest thing since sliced bread, the worst thing to come along since COVID, or are somewhere in between. He'll be looooooong gone by the time the Steelers pick. Most early mocks now have him going either to the Giants at 5 or Panthers at 6. And I would be OK with that.
There'll be two QBs gone in the first 10-12 picks. It doesn't matter how good or bad they are, it's just how the draft works.

Pickett had only 7 interceptions in nearly 500 passing attempts this season. And 3 total fumbles. Ben (and his huge hands) had 11 fumbles for the Steelers.

What's your question?
It was tge same with joe burrow, whos hands were slightly larger than pickett but still small… apparently the gloves they make for qbs now can nullify that issue

I was bashing him or critiquing him? I said he never will ? Or I said what I think he will do? I have been wrong before it won't hurt me if I am again. Not that type. Many of prospects had concerns and went on to star and some went on to bust. Good talk.
You said: "For the record I don't think he will fail or star. I think he will be somewhere in the middle."

So, OK, you don't think he will ever be any better than average, but you never said he won't? Getting deep into semantics now. LOL.

Time will tell. If I'm the Steelers, I wouldn't pass on Pickett at #20 if he's still there, but he probably won't be, and I wouldn't trade up for him.
At least I think I wouldn't. :confused1:

Look, im a pitt fan and pickett deserves a first round pick status, Probably going top ten. The Steelers should do their due diligence on him but certainly only take him if he magically falls to them and they are absolutely certain the guy is the long term answer.

I really don’t think they should be taking any qb this draft… get that stud olinemen in the first and get another wr or ilb in the second…

You said: "For the record I don't think he will fail or star. I think he will be somewhere in the middle."

So, OK, you don't think he will ever be any better than average, but you never said he won't? Getting deep into semantics now. LOL.

Time will tell. If I'm the Steelers, I wouldn't pass on Pickett at #20 if he's still there, but he probably won't be, and I wouldn't trade up for him.
At least I think I wouldn't. :confused1:
My stance isn't locked in that is why it is a think. As he has some decent attributes. I guess you simply see his value higher than I do. I see better value potentially sitting there at C, DE, NT, RG, RT. Which lines up well with the team needs. I would again have been more comfy with Pickett if he had played in his bowl game and played well. I was looking forward to glueing in on his performance. You know when you draftnik opinions do change too. There is more game tape to watch, combine, Senior bowl, etc. I can lean a different direction with some prospects when it is all said and done. Not sure those question marks will change for me in regards to him though. It is like playing the draft game. You start with one way of thinking, by the end of research that can change greatly or stay the same.

My stance isn't locked in that is why it is a think. As he has some decent attributes. I guess you simply see his value higher than I do. I see better value potentially sitting there at C, DE, NT, RG, RT. Which lines up well with the team needs. I would again have been more comfy with Pickett if he had played in his bowl game and played well. I was looking forward to glueing in on his performance. You know when you draftnik opinions do change too. There is more game tape to watch, combine, Senior bowl, etc. I can lean a different direction with some prospects when it is all said and done. Not sure those question marks will change for me in regards to him though. It is like playing the draft game. You start with one way of thinking, by the end of research that can change greatly or stay the same.
Yeah, you'll change your opinion about him if and when it ever becomes wrong. Great.

Tired of listening to you talk in circles, so I think I'll go to bed.

Yeah, you'll change your opinion about him if and when it ever becomes wrong. Great.

Tired of listening to you talk in circles, so I think I'll go to bed.
I told you my stance on my approach to every draft pick I study. There is different stages in eval. It doesn't change post draft. I am not cooch. You should rest up and wake up with a little less of a fucktarded debating approach. Maybe take a shower and wash the ******** off.

Well yea. He is a consensus 1st round pick in what is arguably one of the weakest draft classes for QBs.

Also, are people really trying to make Burrow comparisons? The same burrow who threw for 60 TDs? The same guy that won, and in the SEC at that?

Some of you need to simply admit that you're Pitt fans with slightly biased opinions lol.

Does it matter who the QB is if they don’t fix their Oline problems? Green is not the answer at Center that’s for damn sure

Well yea. He is a consensus 1st round pick in what is arguably one of the weakest draft classes for QBs.

Also, are people really trying to make Burrow comparisons? The same burrow who threw for 60 TDs? The same guy that won, and in the SEC at that?

Some of you need to simply admit that you're Pitt fans with slightly biased opinions lol.
I'm a huge Pitt fan and Pickett was very impressive this year. IMO, his ceiling is a Cousins/Carr type QB and floor is a bust/career backup (the same you can say about virtually every first-round QB). Pickett does a lot well, but doesn't have a single dominant trait that makes him stand out. My biggest concern with him is he runs himself into/out of pressure too often. Rather than step up into the pocket, he rolls to the right and cuts off half the field when there is time/space to make a play. It's something he's always done and I'm not sure if he'll grow out of that habit. However, he can make every throw and I'm not as concern about the small hands thing as others. Fumbling hasn't been a problem yet, I don't think it will be moving forward either. In the right situation, he'll be a good QB. For his success, I'd like to see him go to the Saints.

This.

Why keep Haskins on the roster if you don't give him game day chances??? We know Rudy is average. I want to see Dwayne play 3 consecutive games and then we can either praise him or kick him to the curb...

Berm
Because I don’t have any idea if he’s still a knucklehead cuz I’m not there to evaluate.

I figured it was implied that if he’s done what coaches wanted from him, and if he the minimum thinking it was enough or gone above and beyond to really show commitment.

Minimum effort to meet what was laid out means no chance in hell.

Extra effort I’d give him a chance to compete. If it’s even close to even, I don’t want to even consider Rudolph.

If you don't think Pickett is athletic, then you haven't watched him play. He's not an "athletic stud" like Lamar Jackson, but he's a better passer with plenty of mobility.

It took Ben 3 years to get there in .
I lived in Ohio at the time and Ohio State did try and recruit him but was too late to the dance.

And for 2 years OSU fans were lamenting how much they wished Ben was the QB. If he came from Ohio St, I believe he’d have gone #1 overall. So let’s be glad he went to MAC

I told you my stance on my approach to every draft pick I study. There is different stages in eval. It doesn't change post draft. I am not cooch. You should rest up and wake up with a little less of a fucktarded debating approach. Maybe take a shower and wash the ******** off.
So we go from having a fairly civilized argument to you calling me a fucktarded ********. That's nice.
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT OUR OPINIONS RIGHT NOW, YOU IGNORANT ****. YOU HAVE GONE ON THE RECORD STATING THAT YOU THINK THAT PICKETT WILL NEVER BE ANY BETTER THAN AVERAGE. I THINK YOU'RE WRONG. LET'S SEE WHO'S RIGHT IN A FEW YEARS. SIMPLE AS THAT. NOBODY GIVES A **** ABOUT YOUR ONGOING DRAFT "EVAL" APPROACH. YOU'RE NOT A ******* PRO SCOUT, YOU'RE A PIECE OF **** WHO LIVES ON A STEELERS MESSAGE BOARD. WHY GIVE SUCH A STRONG OPINION IN THE FIRST PLACE, IF YOU'RE NOT FINISHED WITH YOUR OWN LITTLE STUDY PROCESS?

Maybe you should shove your 27000 posts up your ***, spend a little less time on this website, and get a ******* life. Or keep on bashing Coach out of the blue in every other thread on here, so you can try and feel better about yourself. Yeah, that seems much more likely.

Quarterbacks aren't usually drafted in the first half of the first round on pure hope. No matter how weak the overall class is. There is a reason Pickett is probably going to go in the top ten.

The Burrow comparisons are mostly about small hand size.

So we go from having a fairly civilized argument to you calling me a fucktarded ********. That's nice.
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT OUR OPINIONS RIGHT NOW, YOU IGNORANT ****. YOU HAVE GONE ON THE RECORD STATING THAT YOU THINK THAT PICKETT WILL NEVER BE ANY BETTER THAN AVERAGE. I THINK YOU'RE WRONG. LET'S SEE WHO'S RIGHT IN A FEW YEARS. SIMPLE AS THAT. NOBODY GIVES A **** ABOUT YOUR ONGOING DRAFT "EVAL" APPROACH. YOU'RE NOT A ******* PRO SCOUT, YOU'RE A PIECE OF **** WHO LIVES ON A STEELERS MESSAGE BOARD. WHY GIVE SUCH A STRONG OPINION IN THE FIRST PLACE, IF YOU'RE NOT FINISHED WITH YOUR OWN LITTLE STUDY PROCESS?

Maybe you should shove your 27000 posts up your ***, spend a little less time on this website, and get a ******* life. Or keep on bashing Coach out of the blue in every other thread on here, so you can try and feel better about yourself. Yeah, that seems much more likely.
I am ignorant but your debates are filled with digs. You are now worried about my post count and who I talk about and I am the one who should get a life? That is rich. You think highlighting something or posting in caps is supposed to intimidate me? You are laughable and I stand by my ******** comments. Nobody cares about... Yeah let's talk about what nobody cares about. Nobody cares about your meltdown. If you act like a twatwaffle I'll call you on it, which you did. Now merry go **** yourself...********.

Rudolph and Haskins both suck, the future starter is not on our roster

It took Ben 3 years to get there in the mighty MAC. Somehow he wasn't maxed out at the time.
That's good. I don't want a Lamar-type QB that runs first and looks to throw 2nd. We need an Allen, Mahomes, or Burrow type. Someone who is looking to throw 1st and even 2nd and only runs when needed or on the occasional QB run to keep the D honest.