• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin gets 3 year extension

I would be happy if they won a playoff game this year. In year 3 I want to see serious contention for an AFCCG berth. If not he needs to hit the road. I've bad mouthed Mikey as much as anyone, but I was impressed with his " old dog new trick" attitude with parting ways with Pickett and bringing in both new QBs. I know Khan has input as well, but I like what I'm seeing. The only other change I want to see is NO MEDDLING with Smith and the O as he traditionally likes to do that crap.
That's the $64,000 dollar ?: Is Shades gonna meddle with Smith and the O? IF Kahn and Rooney have truly turned stones and plan on making a difference - other than allowing Tomlin to have his way - then there is legit hope. Seeing the team broom Kenny, DJ and drafting how they have gives evidence that Tomlin has lost power. We will see week 1 if that holds and the offense is less predictable than the sun rising in the east.

That's the $64,000 dollar ?: Is Shades gonna meddle with Smith and the O? IF Kahn and Rooney have truly turned stones and plan on making a difference - other than allowing Tomlin to have his way - then there is legit hope. Seeing the team broom Kenny, DJ and drafting how they have gives evidence that Tomlin has lost power. We will see week 1 if that holds and the offense is less predictable than the sun rising in the east.
What proof do have of Tomlin meddling in the offenses over the years? He let Arians, Haley and Fitchner alone as far as I could tell, which brings us to Canada.

Now, in your zeal to rip Tomlin for everything, you are saying he meddled in the Canada offense. Are you saying Canada would have been a good OC if it wasn't for Tomlin's meddling? Or did Canada suck? And, if he did suck, why wouldn't Tomlin meddle? Now whether Tomlin should have hired him or retained him is a different discussion. I stated in a post a while ago 4 factual reasons, none based in speculation or guessing, as to why I would have fired Tomlin if I was in charge. I'll add a 5th. The hiring of, and retaining of, Matt Canada. But that mistake was made. It was then up to Tomlin to mitigate the damage. Unless, again, you are arguing Matt Canada would have been good without Tomlin's meddling.

Here's a litmus test or early indicator: Does Shades continue to keep first half timeouts in his pocket and let the clock run to shorten the game, or does he try to get points? If we see the usual "let the clock run" instead of taking a TO to force a punt under 90 seconds, then we know he's still playing the same game even if Bill Walsh, Mike Leach, and Air Coryell formed a junta at OC.

Last edited:
We will likely see the tomlin turtle offense. I will believe otherwise if I see it. Tomlin doesn't change his stripes. He doesn't want to. He fears risk so he plays it safe.

Here's a litmus test or early indicator: Does Shades continue to keep first half timeouts in his pocket and let the clock run to shorten the game, or does he try to get points? If we see the usual "let the clock run" instead of taking a TO to force a punt under 90 seconds, then we know he's still playing the same game even if Bill Walsh, Mike Leach, and Air Coryell formed a junta at OC.
Again, hiring Canada was a huge error on Tomlin's part. Probably should have been the final thing that cost him his job. But as far as I can tell, he never interfered with other OCs. With as bad as Canada was, and their QB situation before Rudolph played with some competence, what would have you done?

Unfortunately, that just ONE small example of the neanderthal's thinking.

Again, hiring Canada was a huge error on Tomlin's part. Probably should have been the final thing that cost him his job. But as far as I can tell, he never interfered with other OCs. With as bad as Canada was, and their QB situation before Rudolph played with some competence, what would have you done?
Shades didn't just hire/promote Canada, he kept him as OC for three f---g years. Indefensible.

Tomlin did largley defer to Ben until Canada was promoted. But ever since the short passing game started when teams figured out we weren't going deep after the 11-0 start, other than the Rudolph blip when they had nothing to lose it seemed lilke he embraced and doubled down on trying to shorten games and win 18-16 every week.

I would have tried to use the MOF and the TE's more. Kenny did that the one time IIR in Cinci last year with Muth. Everything otherwise seemed short and or to the sidelines. Shades told KP "don't kill us" and really seemed to embrace winning by attrition with very conservative QB play.

I thought I did: I wouldn't have ever had Canada's weak, sloppy, incompetent *** there for 3 years regardless if he got my son a scholarship at MD.
I get that. They made a mistake. A big one.

You continue to rip Tomlin for meddling in the offense. Again, you have no proof of that. It sure didn't seem like meddling with Arians, Haley and Fitchner. So a logical conclusion would be more recently. Blame him for hiring Canada. Without question. But I don't understand the criticism of meddling with an incompetent OC or QB play.

You continue to rip Tomlin for meddling in the offense. Again, you have no proof of that. It sure didn't seem like meddling with Arians, Haley and Fitchner. So a logical conclusion would be more recently. Blame him for hiring Canada. Without question. But I don't understand the criticism of meddling with an incompetent OC or QB play.
Cooch just flat out makes **** up as he goes along.

Tomlin did largley defer to Ben until Canada was promoted. But ever since the short passing game started when teams figured out we weren't going deep after the 11-0 start, other than the Rudolph blip when they had nothing to lose it seemed lilke he embraced and doubled down on trying to shorten games and win 18-16 every week.

I would have tried to use the MOF and the TE's more. Kenny did that the one time IIR in Cinci last year with Muth. Everything otherwise seemed short and or to the sidelines. Shades told KP "don't kill us" and really seemed to embrace winning by attrition with very conservative QB play.
Again, I do not disagree with that. But I think the offense was so bad he had to. The QB play before Rudolph forced his hand. It was a hand he created, no doubt. But I think he handled the bad situation he created as well as possible. Please see that as the back handed compliment it is.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here. His biggest error was hiring, promoting AND KEEPING Canada has OC. Whatever Shades did next wasn't enough to "adjust" to that colossal failure. And Shades took a personal interest in meeting with Kenny every f---g morning, so his future as a QB coach should be in major jeopardy as well. SO much for all of Tomlin's meeting time with Kenny every day. What a behemoth FAIL.

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here. His biggest error was hiring, promoting AND KEEPING Canada has OC. Whatever Shades did next wasn't enough to "adjust" to that colossal failure. And Shades took a personal interest in meeting with Kenny every f---g morning, so his future as a QB coach should be in major jeopardy as well. SO much for all of Tomlin's meeting time with Kenny every day. What a behemoth FAIL.
Looking back, the Trubisky Reclamation project was a huge fail as well. What were they watching when they handed MT the job and later kept him as top backup? Basically, Shades did everything wrong until he had no one to turn to but Rudolph.

Reactions: xjx
The one thing you are is a broken record.

No shiit about his biggest error. We all understand that. Leave it at that. But you don't. You have to make some unfounded accusation of meddling in the offense. It just doesn't make sense.

The one thing you are is a broken record.

No shiit about his biggest error. We all understand that. Leave it at that. But you don't. You have to make some unfounded accusation of meddling in the offense. It just doesn't make sense.
Yea, it sure "doesn't make sense," that's for damn sure. In the preseason, the O was fine, better than fine, Kenny put up perfect QB ratings. Then comes the regular season, and somehow, that same O that was flying fine in the preseason suddenly became predictable and a pile of s----. Somehow. Hmmmmm. And then Canada gets fired and all of a sudden the O picks up radically. Even with the same crap QB. Then Rudolph is added and he directs the team to 3 wins and we make the playoffs, just imagine. But then, with the playoffs upon us, in back comes the scared, "pee-your-pants" O and we can't even make 1st downs any longer. Hmmmm, what happened? No, Tomlin had nothing to do with it, I'm so sure. And he, of course, blamed turnovers, 1st and foremost (not even exaggerating here) on why we lost. Shocker.

Yea, it sure "doesn't make sense," that's for damn sure. In the preseason, the O was fine, better than fine, Kenny put up perfect QB ratings. Then comes the regular season, and somehow, that same O that was flying fine in the preseason suddenly became predictable and a pile of s----. Somehow. Hmmmmm. And then Canada gets fired and all of a sudden the O picks up radically. Even with the same crap QB. Then Rudolph is added and he directs the team to 3 wins and we make the playoffs, just imagine. But then, with the playoffs upon us, in back comes the scared, "pee-your-pants" O and we can't even make 1st downs any longer. Hmmmm, what happened? No, Tomlin had nothing to do with it, I'm so sure. And he, of course, blamed turnovers, 1st and foremost (not even exaggerating here) on why we lost. Shocker.
So preseason against vanilla defenses should translate over to the regular season? That is a ridiculous claim. Almost as ridiculous as you blaming Tomlin for it.

Are you trolling? Because you sound silly cooch. I am laughing at the notion of how you claimed we were similar with our Tomlin mentions. I mention him seldom here and there. You mention him every day in the majority of your posts.

As I said before over and over and over again.

Slash addressed the first idiocy.

Just guessing here...but Buffalo was better than the Bengals, Seattle and the Ravens playing a lot of backups? And it was the playoffs, which is a whole different situation.

Tomlin had everything to do with the situation they were in as it pertained to the mess of their offense, but the proof of that is the hiring of, and retaining of Canada. Not his supposed meddling. It's just stupid speculation on your part.

Slash addressed the first idiocy.

Just guessing here...but Buffalo was better than the Bengals, Seattle and the Ravens playing a lot of backups? And it was the playoffs, which is a whole different situation.

Tomlin had everything to do with the situation they were in as it pertained to the mess of their offense, but the proof of that is the hiring of, and retaining of Canada. Not his supposed meddling. It's just stupid speculation on your part.
So it's your official position that Shades didn't mess with the offense in any way, no meddling? OKkkkaaaaayyyyyy there hot shot. Sergeant Hulka with the big toe is gonna see how far he can stick it up your @ss.

So it's your official position that Shades didn't mess with the offense in any way, no meddling? OKkkkaaaaayyyyyy there hot shot. Sergeant Hulka with the big toe is gonna see how far he can stick it up your @ss.
Stripes!

You've got nothing but assumptions. Which means you have nothing.

I listen to DK quite a bit. His take is Tomlin would rather not mess with the offense, he'd rather have an OC take charge and run it. I think what we saw with Arians, Haley and Fitchner tends to prove that.

Stripes!

You've got nothing but assumptions. Which means you have nothing.

I listen to DK quite a bit. His take is Tomlin would rather not mess with the offense, he'd rather have an OC take charge and run it. I think what we saw with Arians, Haley and Fitchner tends to prove that.
You mean the mysterious lack of any mid-field passing wasn't mandated by Shades. It "just happened" all by its lonesome? OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK there.

You mean the mysterious lack of any mid-field passing wasn't mandated by Shades. It "just happened" all by its lonesome? OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK there.
Idk if it was or wasn't. Neither do you. That's the point. However, using the eye test, what we saw over the years, the Steelers threw over the middle often. If Tomlin was into meddling in the offense, and, according to you he doesn't want to throw over the middle, wouldn't we have seen a lack of throwing over the middle throughout his career?