• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin gets 3 year extension

When I said "much more," what did you read? Did I say "ALL?" Unlike some of you who after a loss will say, "This loss is ALL on Tomlin!" Even though the guy doesn't play.

I never said a head coach wasn't important. It is. But again, coaches don't play. I cannot fathom why a guy who doesn't play is more responsible for a loss than the guys that do.
Every team has talent. The great coaches identify the best talent for their teams and can X and O their way to competitive edges. They either are great X and O guys or hire great X and O guys.

Then yeah great players execute.

But the thing is you need both scenarios to win it all. If you are deficient in one area chances are you aren’t winning it that season or at all.

Every team has talent. The great coaches identify the best talent for their teams and can X and O their way to competitive edges. They either are great X and O guys or hire great X and O guys.

Then yeah great players execute.

But the thing is you need both scenarios to win it all. If you are deficient in one area chances are you aren’t winning it that season or at all.
Absolutely. Which is why, as I stated, if I made the decisions, Tomlin wouldn't be the coach. I agree that the Steelers have a coaching problem. They also have a player problem. I think they are addressing that. We'll see if the coach can do anything with it.

When I said "much more," what did you read? Did I say "ALL?" Unlike some of you who after a loss will say, "This loss is ALL on Tomlin!" Even though the guy doesn't play.

I never said a head coach wasn't important. It is. But again, coaches don't play. I cannot fathom why a guy who doesn't play is more responsible for a loss then the guys that do.
Why do they pay the HC all the $ they do if they aren't a critical part of the team's success?

Players don’t get to decide if they start the play 8-12 yards off the line of scrimmage, nor do they get to decide if they defend the middle soft.

Scheme and game plans are also not the players decision. Play calling that’s telegraphed repeatedly, coordinators hiring and firing also don’t fall onto the payers. Clock management / challenges / time-outs, again not players.

YES, we need talented players that can cover / tackle / rush / catch / adjust on the fly,….. but those that can’t should be relieved of their job by the HC.

It’s a fine line between player and coaching that determines a game.

Salute the nation

Why do they pay the HC all the $ they do if they aren't a critical part of the team's success?
Again, coaches are. But only so far. They don't play. It just seems logical to me that the guys doing the actual blocking, tackling, running, passing and catching are more responsible for the outcome of games.

Players don’t get to decide if they start the play 8-12 yards off the line of scrimmage, nor do they get to decide if they defend the middle soft.

Scheme and game plans are also not the players decision. Play calling that’s telegraphed repeatedly, coordinators hiring and firing also don’t fall onto the payers. Clock management / challenges / time-outs, again not players.

YES, we need talented players that can cover / tackle / rush / catch / adjust on the fly,….. but those that can’t should be relieved of their job by the HC.

It’s a fine line between player and coaching that determines a game.

Salute the nation
I agree with all that. I think the biggest reason though why I say players are more responsible is all the coaches over the years...Noll, Shula, Belechick, and so on, when they lost those great players, did they all the sudden become bad coaches? No. The players were not as good. Noll didn't forget how to coach, he just went from Terry Bradshaw to Mark Malone.

I agree with all that. I think the biggest reason though why I say players are more responsible is all the coaches over the years...Noll, Shula, Belechick, and so on, when they lost those great players, did they all the sudden become bad coaches? No. The players were not as good. Noll didn't forget how to coach, he just went from Terry Bradshaw to Mark Malone.
Partially. Sometimes the players just stop listening to your message and yeah sometimes you are in a rebuild mode. Sometimes the coaches just get burnt out it happens . So many factors which is why nothing is an easy fix.

With this ex HC now in as our OC this will be a very interesting season.

Faaaaaaaaaack!

Only way this happens is a Superbowl win and Mike want's to go out on top. Otherwise, Mike has as many years as he wishes to coach the Black and Gold which will give Greg Lloyd an aneurism in the coming years. :D
He will be somebody else by then

Only way this happens is a Superbowl win and Mike want's to go out on top. Otherwise, Mike has as many years as he wishes to coach the Black and Gold which will give Greg Lloyd an aneurism in the coming years. :D
You are clearly not considering the unknown. If Tomlin doesn't deliver on a playoff win in 2024, the natives may get restless and who knows what that will lead to: suddenly a TV gig will get way more attractive to Shades. You just don't know. Art has came out and said just "winning seasons" is no longer enough. We need playoff wins.

You are clearly not considering the unknown. If Tomlin doesn't deliver on a playoff win in 2024, the natives may get restless and who knows what that will lead to: suddenly a TV gig will get way more attractive to Shades. You just don't know. Art has came out and said just "winning seasons" is no longer enough. We need playoff wins.
Tomlin was just given a three-year extension and the Steelers don't fire head coaches. Art heard the fans grumbling and the local media calling him out for accepting mediocrity. His statement on winning seasons is as hollow as Mike's Tomlinisms. If Art REALLY meant what he said, Mike would be coaching for his job this upcoming season.

Tomlin was just given a three-year extension and the Steelers don't fire head coaches. Art heard the fans grumbling and the local media calling him out for accepting mediocrity. His statement on winning seasons is as hollow as Mike's Tomlinisms. If Art REALLY meant what he said, Mike would be coaching for his job this upcoming season.
I hear what you're saying: Art's words are not 100% iron clad. But I give some credence to them, some. If we barely make the playoffs and then get beaten like a red-headed step child like usual, when we make them, there will be some discussions on where we are going. A trade possibly?

Partially. Sometimes the players just stop listening to your message and yeah sometimes you are in a rebuild mode. Sometimes the coaches just get burnt out it happens . So many factors which is why nothing is an easy fix.

With this ex HC now in as our OC this will be a very interesting season.
Arthur seems to be the key to the season and perhaps more importantly how much creative latitude the conservative HC gives him. I'm wondering if we will see creative use of the TE and longer passes from RW, or just a jazzed up version of Run Run Pass Punt Here We Come..

It already seems like we are determined to come in and run the ball a lot on first and second down next year.

Then you've got the questions of Russell Wilson. At this stage of his career, he may only be able to play like older Russell Wilson doing RW things. Arthur may be caught between a hidebound HC and a hidebound QB.

Last edited:
I really don’t have a problem with coach Tomlin… made peace with it back during the Cowher era in fact... Cant count the times I thought Cowher should have been fired. The Big Ben Super Bowl doesnt justify keeping Cowher either when you look at the fact Big Ben got Tomlin a ring too. What’s important, as the Rooney’s have learned, is getting a great qb play.
Problem is, Tomlin had great QB play from a future Hall of Famer (including the prime of his career) for Ben's final eleven seasons from 2011 to 2021. He managed to win three playoff games in that timeframe -- over opponents quarterbacked by AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, and Alex Smith.

I hear what you're saying: Art's words are not 100% iron clad. But I give some credence to them, some. If we barely make the playoffs and then get beaten like a red-headed step child like usual, when we make them, there will be some discussions on where we are going. A trade possibly?
A trade is doubtful. Mike will be given carte blanch on when he leaves, how he leaves, and where he is headed and the Steelers will get the pleasure of finding their fourth Head coach in 50+ years. Lord knows when that will be. ground hog day indeed.