• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin gets 3 year extension

Problem is, Tomlin had great QB play from a future Hall of Famer (including the prime of his career) for Ben's final eleven seasons from 2011 to 2021. He managed to win three playoff games in that timeframe -- over opponents quarterbacked by AJ McCarron, Matt Moore, and Alex Smith.

Also add in that Coach Tomlin had one of the most player talented teams through out that most of the time as well.

I’ve stated many times, “he has done the least, with the most.”

This is not some new news, it’s common knowledge for most fans.

I’m just wanting better results and Groundhog Day to end.

Salute the nation

Tomlin is nowhere near the level of acumen of a Joe Gibbs unless he can somehow adapt. Joe Gibbs did it with 3 different QBs, while Tomlin did little with the prime of Ben Roethlisberger's career.
Gibbs rarely gets the recognition he deserves for doing it with 3 different QBs. Amazing job.

Why do they pay the HC all the $ they do if they aren't a critical part of the team's success?

Gibbs rarely gets the recognition he deserves for doing it with 3 different QBs. Amazing job.
And as great as he was, he wasn't great when he tried to come back 10 years after his zenith. Tomlin was hired under the "young defensive HC" paradigm that has been out the window since Rog changed the game. Tomlin is playing catch up ball. Only hope is that he lets Arthur Smith do his thing and that Smith is indeed highly capable.

And as great as he was, he wasn't great when he tried to come back 10 years after his zenith. Tomlin was hired under the "young defensive HC" paradigm that has been out the window since Rog changed the game. Tomlin is playing catch up ball. Only hope is that he lets Arthur Smith do his thing and that Smith is indeed highly capable.
There is little question Gibbs lost his fastball when he came back. It had been a decade, so, I don't know. It's just that his teams prior to his retirement were so awesome and complete: talk about great defenses, OL, running games and even QB play. And as stated, he did it with 3 different QBs. That's outstanding. Theismann, Williams, Rypien. All teams had a solid D, solid OL, QB play. Incredible.

https://triblive.com/sports/madden-...ension-means-results-dont-matter-to-steelers/

“He didn’t merit an extension,” Madden said on this week’s “Madden Monday” podcast. “He’s been a crappy coach for 13 years. What don’t people get? You can’t look at his record for the last 13 years and tell me he merits that extension.”

“I was on ‘The ‘DVE Morning Show,’” Madden said. “They bit my head off when I said he didn’t deserve the extension. Bit my head off. It was like, ‘This guy is great. And if you think otherwise, you’re wrong, no matter what the facts say.’ Here’s what I got told on ‘DVE: ‘He’s never had a losing season. If you want to win, that’s a good place to start.’ OK. But where does it finish?”

Well, for the past seven seasons, in the first round of the playoffs, at best.

Tomlin was just given a three-year extension and the Steelers don't fire head coaches. Art heard the fans grumbling and the local media calling him out for accepting mediocrity. His statement on winning seasons is as hollow as Mike's Tomlinisms. If Art REALLY meant what he said, Mike would be coaching for his job this upcoming season.
Last I knew we didn't fire coordinators during seasons (since 1941) either, how did that go for Canada again? Over 60 years since that happened yet it did. So......

We extended a guy that can't even beat the Patriots at their lowest of lows. Just pathetic.
Yea, you will never catch the Pats lower than they were that day, and it simply didn't matter. Actually, for two consecutive weeks we lost to 2-10 teams. That isn't just low, that's beyond low, that's underground, and that's what Tomlin brought us.

Last I knew we didn't fire coordinators during seasons (since 1941) either, how did that go for Canada again? Over 60 years since that happened yet it did. So......
What was Canada making $$$$? Now what is Tomlin making $$$$? Eating the contract of a OC with half a season left on it is a little different than eating what Tomlin makes. No?

When has Tomlin been so bad that chants for his firing were echoed at Hockey games where neither team on the ice was from Pittsburgh? Mike's little butt buddy good friend was so damn inept that the Steelers HAD to break from their modus operandi and kick him to the curb. As terrible as you feel about Mike Tomlin, he isn't THAT bad and will not be fired. Ever.

Yea, you will never catch the Pats lower than they were that day, and it simply didn't matter. Actually, for two consecutive weeks we lost to 2-10 teams. That isn't just low, that's beyond low, that's underground, and that's what Tomlin brought us.
Our overpaid defense couldn't stop the Pats in the first half as I recall. Tomlin still got owned by Belichick in the Larry Holmes and Tervor Berbick stage of The Greatest's career.

What was Canada making $$$$? Now what is Tomlin making $$$$? Eating the contract of a OC with half a season left on it is a little different than eating what Tomlin makes. No?
I have a feeling they've got some things in mind for worst-case scenario. Could they trade him?

A lot is going to come down to how much they muzzle Shades and force him to allow the OC to do his job. If Tomlin forces the run, run, failed pass, punt offense then it won't matter. If the O is forced to no passes to the middle of the field, it's too easy to defend and too predictable.

A lot is going to come down to how much they muzzle Shades and force him to allow the OC to do his job. If Tomlin forces the run, run, failed pass, punt offense then it won't matter. If the O is forced to no passes to the middle of the field, it's too easy to defend and too predictable.
Are you saying Canada was, or could have been, a good OC if it wasn't for Tomlin?

Yinz will all be happy after he wins it all this year.
I would be happy if they won a playoff game this year. In year 3 I want to see serious contention for an AFCCG berth. If not he needs to hit the road. I've bad mouthed Mikey as much as anyone, but I was impressed with his " old dog new trick" attitude with parting ways with Pickett and bringing in both new QBs. I know Khan has input as well, but I like what I'm seeing. The only other change I want to see is NO MEDDLING with Smith and the O as he traditionally likes to do that crap.