• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin Rated #6 Best NFL Coach

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - I liked you better when you were a Christian in the God & Politics threads...

"...doing my best to learn football as I go..."

That's rich.
Yes, that cracked me up as well, been following football for 30+ years. lol

Xc944

Reaction score
I disagree. Last year was Ben's best year statically and overall...
I don't care about stats he was a better player in 05 watch the games. His first half stats dwarfed any he's put up since and cowher would protect the lead. The playoffs were exactly like that season get a big lead early and run the entire second half

Xc944

Reaction score
Tomlin built the best offense this team has seen in the last 20 years. The defense sucks I agree but you can't argue with last years offense.
This offense has been below the line the vast majority of Tomlins tenure. Even a dog can win the lottery

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't care about stats he was a better player in 05 watInteresting. His first half stats dwarfed any he's put up since and cowher would protect the lead. The playoffs were exactly like that season get a big lead early and run the entire second half

So you dont think Ben is a better QB now than in his 2nd year in the league? Interesting.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
But you realise that this is not to Tomlin's credit, don't you?

Well, I realize that If everything that goes wrong is his fault as some suggest, then the things that go well are to his credit.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Last years offense was explosive in some games skewing the stats, , Ben's 2 - 6 TD games but awful in others and in the playoffs. We were injury free last year and Ben, Antonio and Bell had career years , don't bet on those happening again and this year we play a very tough schedule unlike last year.

it's been said that we play to our level of competition. So, shouldn't we expect to play better this season?

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I realize that If everything that goes wrong is his fault as some suggest, then the things that go well are to his credit.

For some that's just the way it is. Defense is bad now it's Tomlins fault. Offense is best it's been in 20 years, it was a accident everybody gets lucky some of the time. It's like talking to a damn wall. He shares the credit for both whether it's good or bad. Period.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
For some that's just the way it is. Defense is bad now it's Tomlins fault. Offense is best it's been in 20 years, it was a accident everybody gets lucky some of the time. It's like talking to a damn wall. He shares the credit for both whether it's good or bad. Period.
The offense is good partly because Tombert made some good draft picks and partly because the the team hired Todd Haley, probably against Tomlin's wishes.
Now we'll see how he does rebuilding a defense with a new DC. It could work out. I hope it does.

Acereros

Reaction score

still Cowher's credit?

Did you guys not realise that Mr Rooney gave an statement to the press announcing the departure of B.Arians from the Steelers only days after Coach Marvel had announced that he was not planning any personnel changes within his assistant coaches?

Was this not an unprecedented direct intervention from the owners to correct the HC shortcoming and lack of understanding of what was happening with his team, and more importantly, which his franchise QB?

After this fact, would you still credit Tomlin with Ben's development and great numbers?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Did you guys not realise that Mr Rooney gave an statement to the press announcing the departure of B.Arians from the Steelers only days after Coach Marvel had announced that he was not planning any personnel changes within his assistant coaches?

Was this not an unprecedented direct intervention from the owners to correct the HC shortcoming and lack of understanding of what was happening with his team, and more importantly, which his franchise QB?

After this fact, would you still credit Tomlin with Ben's development and great numbers?

I'd credit the drafting of Brown, Bell, Sanders, Wheaton, Bryant, Pouncey, Decastro, and Beachum as a good portion of the reasons for Ben's upturn in production the last few years. Along with Ben's maturation as a QB and Haley's evolving as an OC. Because if Haley was still running the same offense he started off with, we'd all be complaining about the dink and dunk play calling.

That's just my opinion though ... It differs from yours.

ark steel

Reaction score

It has been said that Rooney intervened overriding Cowher in getting Ben drafted in the first place.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It has been said that Rooney intervened overriding Cowher in getting Ben drafted in the first place.

How dare you bring that up....doesn't change the fact that Ben is a Cowher guy until the day he retires or moves to another team. :)

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

This is what gets me. Tomlin basically was told to keep DL and hire BA when he was hired. I get why we did. Great defense. keep the same offense intact. Then BA was forced out and Haley was brought in. DL was Forced out and Bulter(who was promised the DC job since like forever) was promoted to DC. So if you want to blame any short comings of this team you should go directly to our OWNERSHIP. Reminds me of the ******* Raiders. If the Rooneys want to bring a coach in they should let the Man hire his people. While I am starting to climb down the side of the "get rid of Tomlin" fence I do wonder why the Rooneys are meddling so much? If they do not think Tomlin can do the job then get rid of him. PERIOD. Our owners have "quietly" become like the Raiders. Hire puppets to be your HC. Then tell them who is going to be your OC and DC. Sad really.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This is what gets me. Tomlin basically was told to keep DL and hire BA when he was hired. I get why we did. Great defense. keep the same offense intact. Then BA was forced out and Haley was brought in. DL was Forced out and Bulter(who was promised the DC job since like forever) was promoted to DC. So if you want to blame any short comings of this team you should go directly to our OWNERSHIP. Reminds me of the ******* Raiders. If the Rooneys want to bring a coach in they should let the Man hire his people. While I am starting to climb down the side of the "get rid of Tomlin" fence I do wonder why the Rooneys are meddling so much? If they do not think Tomlin can do the job then get rid of him. PERIOD. Our owners have "quietly" become like the Raiders. Hire puppets to be your HC. Then tell them who is going to be your OC and DC. Sad really.

The Rooneys? I think you mean Art II.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
The Rooneys? I think you mean Art II.

Who ever the **** it is. You got my point...Right? Rooney family? If you disagree fine. Make your point, but to nick pick...really?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Who ever the **** it is. You got my point...Right? Rooney family? If you disagree fine. Make your point, but to nick pick...really?

Sorry, but not going to throw Dan Rooney under the bus when it is Art II running the show. He's accomplished too much for that type of treatment. SMH

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but not going to throw Dan Rooney under the bus when it is Art II running the show. He's accomplished too much for that type of treatment. SMH

Right....gotcha. The Rooney rule and his Ireland gig.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously though I get your point. And you are correct. After he left our franchise took a different direction. So it seems.

ark steel

Reaction score

Doesn't Dan still have enough ownership to make changes? If so and he doesn't, he is part and parcel of whatever problems exist.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't Dan still have enough ownership to make changes? If so and he doesn't, he is part and parcel of whatever problems exist.

Good point but at this stage of his life he just might want to relax and let others do the work.

Vader

Reaction score

I get sick of this myth. Rooney said in his book that he walked in while the coaches were discussing who to draft. He never said they were going to draft Andrews or anyone else. He just told them to draft Ben. He didn't want another Marino mistake on his watch. Here is exactly how it happened:

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect," Rooney wrote in his book "Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With The Pittsburgh Steelers and The NFL."

"So I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger."

He never said who was for or against Ben. It's always been a myth that Cowher didn't want him. Nobody knows who did or didn't want him. But in order to throw some mud on Cowher and make Tomlin look better people will do almost anything.

Last edited: