• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade Value Chart (delete if not allowed)

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw this article with a great trade value chart in it. Great visual. Assuming this is correct, it paints a good picture for trading up or back for us.

Getting to 12 should take our 3rd-round pick. It gets tricky getting to 9. We don't need to give up pick 32 but 49 and some change. I'd rather only go up to 12 if we are going to for one othe true top 2 LT's in Johnson or Jones. If going for Gonzalez who appears to be the the No. 1 CB on most mocks I've seen, we would be lucky to get him at 9 and probably have to go higher which I personally would not do. There are no guarantees, even in the top 10.

Value charts are all kinds flawed, for example, is the first pick in the 6th round really worth 6 late 7th round picks? But they’re still good for rough estimates in the earlier rounds. The other thing is that the seller can have leverage over the buyer. So the values can get discounted or increased depending on which side wants what and how bad.

I also think the first pick in the 2nd round is actually of more value than the late 1st round picks as the team has 20 hours to make a deal instead of 12 minutes.

Value charts are all kinds flawed, for example, is the first pick in the 6th round really worth 6 late 7th round picks? But they’re still good for rough estimates in the earlier rounds. The other thing is that the seller can have leverage over the buyer. So the values can get discounted or increased depending on which side wants what and how bad.

I also think the first pick in the 2nd round is actually of more value than the late 1st round picks as the team has 20 hours to make a deal instead of 12 minutes.
True but it's a good starting point and, in this case, visualization.

I still don't think moving to 9 is viable because the needs for the Steelers and Bears overlap. You also have to wonder if the Bears will want extra compensation since Claypool didn't perform last year after the trade. Paris Johnson is getting a lot of traction high in the draft and I don't know if they move up for Jones. Gonzalez is the only other player they could potentially move up for, but that'd be well into the top-10.

I still don't think moving to 9 is viable because the needs for the Steelers and Bears overlap. You also have to wonder if the Bears will want extra compensation since Claypool didn't perform last year after the trade. Paris Johnson is getting a lot of traction high in the draft and I don't know if they move up for Jones. Gonzalez is the only other player they could potentially move up for, but that'd be well into the top-10.
Yeah, Gonzalez should be out of reach. I think he is going top 6 and then Witherspoon will be top 10 or close to it. That's just too much draft capital to give up this year. It will be interesting to see what this new regime does in the first draft. I don't think they will play it conservatively.