• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Training camp thread.

There just isn’t a great need for a true fullback anymore… all these O’s basically use Hbacks … i still think a dedicated blocker plowing forward with speed is a useful tactic, but honestly Heyward can do what needs to be done in that regard so I see why its a less important position on the roster…

What is Derek Watt doing and is that viable with 4 TEs or could they just cut Gentry or just live with Little Heyward at FB when needed.

Its going to be 4 TEs… rookie TEs are notoriously slow to get up to speed so they will do with Gentry and Muuth with Conner at Hback until Washington is ready for showtime…

Also I would not read too much into Washington spending the first half, if not most of the season as an inactive player… barring injury that seems predestined based on pure numbers…

One thing I've been noticing in most of the KP camp highlight videos is that Highsmith is routinely beating the LT regardless of who they have in there. Either the Steelers are going to have trouble keeping KP upright this season or Alex is going to wreak havoc on opposing defenses. I'm going to bet on the latter.

One thing I've been noticing in most of the KP camp highlight videos is that Highsmith is routinely beating the LT regardless of who they have in there. Either the Steelers are going to have trouble keeping KP upright this season or Alex is going to wreak havoc on opposing defenses. I'm going to bet on the latter.

Can’t it be both …jk 😁

Highsmith is going to be a problem this year. When you watch his highlights his dip and rip is pretty amazing and his inside spin when the tackle oversets is deadly.
I'm very concerned about week one pass pro against the 49ers but believe it will get better.

If Highsmith and Watt are reasonably healthy I'm expecting more than 25 sacks from the edge and I would set a line of 32 for betting purpose.
32 is quite a high bar.

That would be wonderful, at almost 2 sacks per game.

Is there a comp for this Stat with pvs Steeler or other edge combos?

32 is quite a high bar.

That would be wonderful, at almost 2 sacks per game.

Is there a comp for this Stat with pvs Steeler or other edge combos?
That number is insane. I'd be happy with 20-24 between Watt and Highsmith. They'll be lucky to push 25+ factoring in Golden and any of the other backups.

Alfonso Graham is out for the season with a torn labrum. Looks like the Steelers will need to bring in another RB. (Per Depot)

That number is insane. I'd be happy with 20-24 between Watt and Highsmith. They'll be lucky to push 25+ factoring in Golden and any of the other backups.
I definitely would not be happy with 20. In a healthy year 15 for Watt is a downward side. That means 5 for Highsmith. He just got a ton of dough. 32 is high but less than 28 if they play almost all 17 games is a disappointment.

32 sacks seems a BIT optimistic.

Wait, that's for BOTH Watt and Highsmith? I thought that was just for T.J. Oh hell yeah, 32 or more. 24 for TJ, 16 for Highsmith.

Know why? Because this defense will stop the run. The offense is going to be efficient and score regularly. Not as many TD's as I prefer, but points on the board. Opposing teams will trail, have no success running, start passing 80% of plays. TJ and Highsmith wreak havoc!

32 is a lot to expect. Particularly with health taken into account. But I think it's reasonable.

I think people tend to forget that Ben wasn't throwing 400 yard games in his first seasons. And in fact when it was a balanced attack with a great defense that is when they were a championship team.
I think that is what most are hoping for. There's two sides of this. The homers who think 200yards> and 0.5td> a game is top 10 QB numbers. Then you got the flip side that won't recognize the improvement in the second half of the season and says he is a bust. I think if he can put up Sophomore Roethslisbrger numbers I would be ok with it. In 12 games he was about 200 yards and 1.5 touchdowns. I would be happy with those types of numbers as long as his ints were kept at 0.5< per game.

SF went from Montana to Young.

I’d rather see the Steelers turn the NFL on its head and win with a dominant running game and defense.
Young wasn't drafted by the 49ers. He was drafted by the Bucs, who sucked, then got to be groomed behind Montana for 4+ years.

Indy was Manning to luck, although Luck had bad luck. Pickett doesn't have to be a hall of famer he just needs to be good. The defense and offensive talent should keep us in games if the coaching staff doesn't crap the bed
Luck also was the only player I have ever seen that was going to be the first overall pick but passed to stay in school to just improve his draft stock. Guy was a can't miss prospect that after the Manning injury pushed him out the door in favor of maybe the best prospect I have seen in my life at QB.

I have noticed that too. Doesn't matter what LT or what QB is in there. Half those highlight throws would have ended in a sack or strip sack. Highsmith is going to be banging this year if he stays healthy.

To me between 200 and 250 yards with a strong run game and an aggressive and opportistic defense is pretty tough to beat. But they must get significantly better in red zone. Field goals are three points closer to losing.

I definitely would not be happy with 20. In a healthy year 15 for Watt is a downward side. That means 5 for Highsmith. He just got a ton of dough. 32 is high but less than 28 if they play almost all 17 games is a disappointment.
12 to 14 for Watt and 8-10 for Highsmith is very reasonable.

Sucks for the Rookie… he had a real shot to win that 3rb role…
They signed XFL Viper RB John Lovett to fill the vacancy.

Steelers can get a training camp look and Lovett....

Or leave it.

😁

They signed XFL Viper RB John Lovett to fill the vacancy.

Steelers can get a training camp look and Lovett....

Or leave it.

😁

These STEELERS are not here to disappoint, gottA lovett or leave it, bit appreciate it as it is.

Salute the nation