• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Troy Edwards interview.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
When most fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers think of Troy Edwards, they think about a wide receiver who played from 1999-2001 in the Steel City, but most dialogue will come to disappointment and underachievement.

Thanks to our growing relationship with The Pittsburgh Sports Daily Bulletin, we were able to get our hands on a truly intriguing interview with Edwards where he candidly talks about his time in Pittsburgh, and his regrets from his entire career in the NFL.

Enjoy the interview, and be sure to follow The Pittsburgh Sports Daily Bulletin through all the avenues listed below.

The Pittsburgh Sports Daily Bulletin covers all Pittsburgh sports via our free daily newsletter. & offers exclusive interviews with hundreds of former Steelers and other area sports and media stars. To receive the free daily newsletter email us at Pittsburghsportsdailybulletin@gmail.com - also feel free to visit our website at pghsportsdaily.com. Be sure to follow Pittsburgh Sports Daily on Twitter: @PittsburghSport

First, can you let readers know what you've been up to since your time in the NFL?

I've been just been being a dad - staying down here (in Florida) coaching my kids little league teams. That's pretty much it - raising my kids.

Any coaching lessons from your NFL days you apply now as a coach?

I really respect coaches now. Coach Cowher was a great coach. When you first get in the NFL you think you know everything. As a coach you deal with all those different personalities all across the team - even to the practice squad. The things he went through dealing with all of that was a lot.

You had an incredible college career and senior season with 140 receptions and 1,996 receiving yards in your senior season alone. What made you such an exceptional receiver in college?

It was just hard work. Dedication. I dedicated all of my effort to football. Eat and slept football. And it didn't hurt that I played with one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever in Tim Rattay.

You were drafted in the first round by the Steelers in 1999. Were you surprised they drafted you and what were your thoughts on being drafted by a team with the likes of Hines Ward and Courtney Hawkins on the roster?

I was never nervous about football. I was doing it for so long. I had the numbers so I wasn't surprised I was a first round pick.

I didn't know about Hines Ward or Courtney Hawkins then. My focus was on college teams and football. I had to go look at a map to see where Pittsburgh even was - I was a Southern guy. All I knew was that Terry Bradshaw was from close to where I grew up.

Who helped mentor you as a rookie and helped you adapt to both the NFL and the Steelers culture? How did they do so?

Not really - the receivers were great but they were all young except Hawkins. He was a real professional but not a rah rah guy. Not a guy to take you under his wing - he was all business. Hines, me, (Will) Blackwell - we were all young. All just kids running around.

I really didn't know how to be a professional until I was traded to St. Louis. Isaac Bruce was amazing - he and Ricky Proehl, Marshall Faulk...

What did you feel you needed that you weren't getting in Pittsburgh?

I'm the type of guy that doesn't regret things. I don't drink or smoke. I'm right-minded and don't get distracted - and my experiences made me a better man.

I just think fans need to know that it wasn't that Cowher was a bad evaluator. I was dedicated to the game in college. The NFL was just so different. I blame myself for my career. I was just a simple guy - liked the simple stuff like fishing. The Steelers are a great organization - it was just all so big. I didn't want the attention - the autographs and pictures. I just wanted to play and I just went into a Ricky Williams kind of shell.

Did you feel the Steelers utilized you to your strengths - that they took advantage of what you did well when you were in college?

It was a totally different system from college. The Steelers were a tough, hard-nosed organization. I was just freestyling in college. I didn't know how to play the wide receiver in the NFL until I got to St. Louis. It's so hard to play wide receiver in the NFL. I think it's the second-hardest position besides quarterback. There's so much stuff you need to know and I had no clue.

What made that learning process so hard? What could have been done differently?

They tried to teach me. I was just too rebellious. Hines wanted to help me but I just wanted to freestyle. I just felt like I knew it all. The team gave me great information. I just didn't want to listen. I had the greatest receiver in Hines. I just wouldn't listen. I was too stubborn.

You were there as the Steelers transitioned to Kordell Stewart at quarterback. How did that transition affect you as a receiver and why?

Tomczak was there too. I played well with Tomczak - he was a pocket passer and I was used to that. But with the move to Kordell...With Kordell there was more movement - more stuff on the run. That was harder for me to adjust too. That's not an excuse though - I could've done much better.

Humor plays a big part in keeping teams loose. Who were some of the guys on the Steelers teams you played for that helped keep things light, and how did they do so? Any examples?

Bettis and Joey Porter were always funny. (Amos) Zeroue too - and Earl Holmes, They were all characters but they were professionals too. They were veterans - they were in the game long enough though to know when to play around and when to be serious.

I remember Zereoue and some other vets took our car keys and parked our cars around the corner to make it look like our cars were stolen. They took our wallets and pants and made us walk home in our shorts.... It was all done out of love - we were a brotherhood. It was just a welcome to the family.

You ended up playing for six teams over your eight year career. Do you think fans appreciate the toll that kind of consistent change affects players and how did it specifically affect you?

I don't think fans have a clue - 90% don't get it. I never worried about it though. I had kids - my oldest when I was a senior in college and my next soon after. I had so much important stuff going on - I didn't care if I got cut. It wasn't life or death in comparison to dealing with kids and other personal stuff. It was important if I got cut, but I know I could move on. I knew it was the cold side of the business. I always thought it was unfair some guys would sign as free agents, get cut and end up with zero to show for it.

What are your favorite memories as a Steeler?

The fans had so much knowledge. I remember at a grocery store - Giant Eagle - a woman - she must have been 82 years old. She came up to me and said certain things I should have done on a play in some game. Real specific. I was shaking my head at how much this 80-year old knew. The fans were just loyal and smart.

Any last thoughts for readers?

I just wish fans would stay patient with players. They go through a lot sometimes - they are human beings and go through personal stuff too. But in the end they usually come out ok and turn out to be good guys...

Amazing how youth is wasted on the young. Maturity always wins out in the end.

He sounds grown up and logical now. It happens.

I really hated this guy when he mugged before a camera (I think it was after a loss) where he said to Plex, "You're playing about as much as me...'on the bench.'"

He was taking glee in that Plex wasn't getting any production either, like he was rooting for his fellow teammate to fail as bad as he was.

Very bad first round draft pick. They panicked and went for need. This guy was a huge baller in college, but it just didn't translate, as is often the case.

He sounds grown up and logical now. It happens.

I really hated this guy when he mugged before a camera (I think it was after a loss) where he said to Plex, "You're playing about as much as me...'on the bench.'"

He was taking glee in that Plex wasn't getting any production either, like he was rooting for his fellow teammate to fail as bad as he was.

Very bad first round draft pick. They panicked and went for need. This guy was a huge baller in college, but it just didn't translate, as is often the case.
You seem to say this about every draft we have had. Why?

Damn. Sounds like he's grown up and doesn't harbor any resentment. That's more than the majority of us can say about our feelings about him. Some grown man **** right there

Reactions: MTC
You haven't been paying attention very well.

It's funny cause everyone knows we didn't panic.. Donahue pulled a ***** move and took Edwards over Cowher objections. Cowher wanted Kearse. That was the last straw in their growing rift. Which eventually led to to Donahue getting the boot..

It's funny cause everyone knows we didn't panic.. Donahue pulled a ***** move and took Edwards over Cowher objections. Cowher wanted Kearse. That was the last straw in their growing rift. Which eventually led to to Donahue getting the boot..

Sounds like Tom D. panicked. That was what I said.

We needed WR help. Holt and David Boston were taken, so TD panicked and took TE too high. The following players were still on the board.

14 Kansas City Chiefs John Tait T Brigham Young
15 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Anthony McFarland DT Louisiana State
16 Tennessee Titans Jevon Kearse DE Florida
17 New England Patriots Damien Woody C Boston College
18 Oakland Raiders Matt Stinchcomb T Georgia
19 New York Giants Luke Petitgout G Notre Dame
20 Dallas Cowboys Ebenezer Ekuban DE North Carolina
21 Arizona Cardinals L.J. Shelton T Eastern Michigan
22 Seattle Seahawks Lamar King DE Saginaw Valley State
23 Buffalo Bills Antoine Winfield CB Ohio State
24 San Francisco 49ers Reggie McGrew DT Florida
25 Green Bay Packers Antuan Edwards CB Clemson
26 Jacksonville Jaguars Fernando Bryant CB Alabama
27 Detroit Lions Aaron Gibson T Wisconsin
28 New England Patriots Andy Katzenmoyer MLB Ohio State
29 Minnesota Vikings Dimitrius Underwood DE Michigan State
30 Atlanta Falcons Patrick Kerney DE Virginia
31 Denver Broncos Al Wilson MLB Tennessee

Almost every player on the above list would have been better than taking TE. Imagine that team with Jevon Kearse coming around the corner? Tait would have made the OL better. Winfield would have improved the secondary. TD laid a big, fat turd by taking TE.

Being a ******* is different from being in a panic. He and Cowher made picks together and he did what he wanted when they couldn't agree

Man, I was crushed when the rams took Holt...and then I was even more crushed when we took Edwards over Kearse...holy ****, Donahue.

Sounds like he gets it though and his life turned out good.

When most fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers think of Troy Edwards, they think about a wide receiver who played from 1999-2001 in the Steel City, but most dialogue will come to disappointment and underachievement.

I always think about a punk kid who joined a fan website and had a huge man crush on Edwards.......wonder what happened to that kid.....

Here are the drafts where they panicked and reached for a player in the modern era. Tell me which pick was not a reach and was a prudent decision. I will be patiently waiting.

Bud Dupree - too early to say, but I am leaning towards him becoming a solid player for us.

Shazier - If he can stay healthy, all signs point to this being a good pick.

Jarvis Jones - a reach, horrid pick. Tell me how this isn't so.

Decastro - Solid.

Heyward - Solid.

Pouncey - needs to stay in one piece, but if he does, good pick.

Hood - Bad pick.

Spin-and-Fall - A 5th round talent. Poor drafting.

Timmons - solid.

Holmes - solid until he baked too much.

Miller - Great.

Ben - Outstanding

Troy - fantastic

Simmons - Not a good pick

Plex - good enough

Faneca - solid

Chad Scott - didn't look too bad at first but he ended up not being very good.

Jermain Stephens - one of the worst draft picks in history of team.

Mark Bruener - too high for a blocking tight end that was not good at catching passes.

Charles Johnson - nothing to brag about, but not a bust either.

There, as you can see I hardly assert that every first round pick was a reach. Please try to defend the players that I say were bad picks.

Go ahead.

I am waiting. Prove your point.

Do it.

Now.

Back up your noise

;258395 said:
Here are the drafts where they panicked and reached for a player in the modern era. Tell me which pick was not a reach and was a prudent decision. I will be patiently waiting.

Bud Dupree - too early to say, but I am leaning towards him becoming a solid player for us.

Shazier - If he can stay healthy, all signs point to this being a good pick.

Jarvis Jones - a reach, horrid pick. Tell me how this isn't so.

Decastro - Solid.

Heyward - Solid.

Pouncey - needs to stay in one piece, but if he does, good pick.

Hood - Bad pick.

Spin-and-Fall - A 5th round talent. Poor drafting.

Timmons - solid.

Holmes - solid until he baked too much.

Miller - Great.

Ben - Outstanding

Troy - fantastic

Simmons - Not a good pick

Plex - good enough

Faneca - solid

Chad Scott - didn't look too bad at first but he ended up not being very good.

Jermain Stephens - one of the worst draft picks in history of team.

Mark Bruener - too high for a blocking tight end that was not good at catching passes.

Charles Johnson - nothing to brag about, but not a bust either.

There, as you can see I hardly assert that every first round pick was a reach. Please try to defend the players that I say were bad picks.

Go ahead.

I am waiting. Prove your point.

Do it.

Now.

Back up your noise

mention something about the Patriots that usually gets to him

Did you empty your feces-filled Depends today? You might want to consider doing just that.

you might consider quoting another poster when typing a tirade instead of quoting yourself....

we would rather you dump your **** filled cranium anywhere other than this website...

Your hindsight years later is awesome. How do you do it? You actually might have the BEST hindsight of the Steeler's drafts that I have ever seen. Oh...Thanks for sharing it every day with us also. I truly look forward to it.

you might consider quoting another poster when typing a tirade instead of quoting yourself....

we would rather you dump your **** filled cranium anywhere other than this website...

If only there were some way that that could actually happen

it was really tough for small WRs to make it back then when DBs were actually allowed to touch WRs. Edwards may have been a great player if he played about 10 years later. He was more talented than guys like Welker and Edelman.

Only in your heavily-medicated mind.

another derpy reply

like I said before you suck at trolling, you are trying to hard patriotPop

Troy

I think of Troy Edwards and I immediately have flashbacks to his penalty on punt coverage during the 2001 AFC Championship game. Had to kick again and Troy Brown did the rest.

We should sign him, again. Would be perfect for us now!

Wasn't used right, would look good in B & G, sign him for vet minimum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck Yea

Salute the nation