• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trumps speech tonight

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I got stuck at work...….. didn't see. what was your thoughts about it if you saw life?

Dems are losing it, it was a campaign fund-raising speech, lol

Fund the wall!

2qp13r.jpg

I know right will love it and left will hate it. what was everyones thoughts before the 2 political parties destroyed the true message

Nothing said by either side that is likely to change anyone's minds in my opinion.

It's a loser for Trump if you ask me, most people are either vehemently opposed to a wall or don't care much one way or the other. I know he wants to save face but he ought to cut his losses and move on.

IMO it was short, sweet & totally on point with a couple really good messages shone to light. Trump hit it outta the ballpark while Schumer & Pelosi struck out. But that's just one "Trumptard's" opinion on the evening, even though I try to be objective as possible and will disagree with the man and his behavior from time to time.

Also, Tibs hasn't posted a dozen memes and manipulated quotes from it so far, so that's also a good barometer it was a success.

Nothing said by either side that is likely to change anyone's minds in my opinion.

It's a loser for Trump if you ask me, most people are either vehemently opposed to a wall or don't care much one way or the other. I know he wants to save face but he ought to cut his losses and move on.

Huh? Most people from my little world want a wall. Or a 'barrier'. Or just anything that controls what the U.S. government hasn't been able to control for decades now.

You lost me on people don't care much either way.

I guess for me, I don't understand why it has to be an either-or thing. I mean, I understand it from the Democrat perspective--oppose all things Trump. That is where their opposition comes from. That has been obvious for two years.

Anyone that thinks a wall won't help is delusional. Is it an end all be all? No, our immigration system is far worse off than that. There needs to be more agents at the border, electronic surveillance, the works. Once you get that, you need to start rounding up the people over-staying visa's and help them find their way home.

Trump's problem, is that he is focused on the border, when he should be speaking to the nation's immigration problems as a whole. When you focus solely on the border, the Dems can yell racist all day long.

Trump needs to lay out a plan to tackle the problems in the immigration system as a whole. I think you lay it out asking for bi-partisan support, get congressional leaders together and get it done. You can't set policy through twitter. I applaud him going on TV to address this issue, but in my opinion, his vision was so narrow, he came up woefully short.

Huh? Most people from my little world want a wall. Or a 'barrier'. Or just anything that controls what the U.S. government hasn't been able to control for decades now.

You lost me on people don't care much either way.

Based on most polling data a majority are opposed, large majorities don't see it as a priority, though I know some will discount those numbers.

As for me personally I'm not opposed to it as "immoral" or anything, I don't like to waste money though the amount of money is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I think it would slow down border crossings some but I don't think it largely solves the problems it's intended to solve.

Anyone that thinks a wall won't help is delusional.

I agree with everything you said except for that. There are good reasons to believe a wall won't help all that much. Tunnels, for one. Ladders. The border is almost 2000 miles long. A large number of illegal immigrants come here legally on visas and don't leave. Drugs are brought in through legal entry points, concealed in vehicles, produce, etc. Or sent over border fences using catapults or dropped by drones or light aircraft. Where there's a will there's a way as they say.

I'm not saying it won't reduce border problems at all. But eliminate them? Hardly. Will it help 5 billion dollars worth? Over the long haul probably. Is it something I see as urgently, desperately needed? Not really.

I agree with everything you said except for that. There are good reasons to believe a wall won't help all that much. Tunnels, for one. Ladders. The border is almost 2000 miles long. A large number of illegal immigrants come here legally on visas and don't leave. Drugs are brought in through legal entry points, concealed in vehicles, produce, etc. Or sent over border fences using catapults or dropped by drones or light aircraft. Where there's a will there's a way as they say.

I'm not saying it won't reduce border problems at all. But eliminate them? Hardly. Will it help 5 billion dollars worth? Over the long haul probably. Is it something I see as urgently, desperately needed? Not really.

I never said it would eliminate all the border problems. I said the wall plus more agents, electronic surveillance, etc.

I look at it like this. Illegal immigration of all types costs the United States between $115 billion and $155 billion annually depending on who is doing the estimate. Now suddenly, everyone is up in arms over $5.7 billion dollars to start taking care of what everyone agrees is a problem. Why? Because Trump, that's why.

The time for half measures and political nonsense has come and passed. Either our government, and that includes both Republicans and Democrats, is ready to tackle the entirety of the immigration system or they are not. If not, vote them out and elect people that are.

Just like nearly every other major issue facing the nation, border security gets kicked down the road for someone else to take care of. Well, the somebody else is here, trying to take care of it. I don't like the guy, but he ran on it and he won. Maybe instead of Trump, Pelosi and Schumer going on TV and slap fighting, they should get in a room and come up with a plan to actually fix this issue. You know, do the job they were elected to do.

I mean, there is video out there of Schumer and Pelosi saying pretty much the same thing Trump is saying. Build a wall, illegal immigration is a problem. I mean, there was a crisis at the border over the summer, and even though nothing has changed, other than caravan after caravan trying to illegally enter, there is suddenly no crisis. Give me a break.

No a wall won't fix the problem alone. Gonna take more than that. And it is going to take both Republicans and Democrats. It is past time that America's elected representatives get busy with the people's work, instead of the daily dick measuring contest we see on TV.

Also, Tibs hasn't posted a dozen memes and manipulated quotes from it so far, so that's also a good barometer it was a success.
LOL I suggest you don’t use my posts - or lack of posts - as a barometer to determine anything related to Trump. Anyone who saw and heard him last night understands his ‘big reveal’ amounted to a wet fart. The thing that stood out was his constant sniffing, that was back again, must have hit the Adderall rails xtra hard. As far as memes and gifs mocking the Donald’s first televised Oval Office speech, I’ll get back to you on that, if you insist.

And for whatever it's worth, Nancy & Chuck did nothing for me. They were stiff as cardboard cutouts and creepy as ****, like the twins in The Shining. But their message was on point, immediately re-open the government, stop using federal workers as hostages and pawns in a political game, and hash out the details on border security funding. So A+ for content, but the delivery was meh...

I hope the networks think long and hard before allowing Trump to pull a poltiical stunt like this on prime time television. They are the big losers here.

49808835_2058218330936558_228653780982300672_n.jpg

Last edited:
I guess for me, I don't understand why it has to be an either-or thing. I mean, I understand it from the Democrat perspective--oppose all things Trump. That is where their opposition comes from. That has been obvious for two years.

Name one thing Obama did that Republicans supported.... just one. This is how our government operates now. Don’t act like the democrats are the only ones that blindly oppose anything that comes from the other side.

I got stuck at work...….. didn't see.
You didn't miss much, this was the gist of it. Turn your sound up so you don't miss any of the important stuff.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I cut this together to sum up the border security speech made by <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@realDonaldTrump</a> tonight. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/donaldtrump?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#donaldtrump</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bordersecurity?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#bordersecurity</a> <a href="https://t.co/O88UNh4chw">pic.twitter.com/O88UNh4chw</a></p>— Leon Ingram (@MudflapOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/MudflapOfficial/status/1082838155147960321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 9, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Name one thing Obama did that Republicans supported.... just one. This is how our government operates now. Don’t act like the democrats are the only ones that blindly oppose anything that comes from the other side.

Reform of the FDA, the surge in Afghanistan and some trade agreements off the top of my head IIRC. Small stuff, sure, but you asked.

And for the record I don't act that way. Yes, I lean conservative on most issues, but with the exception of OFTB and the Liberals on this board, no one calls out republicans more than me.

And for whatever it's worth, Nancy & Chuck did nothing for me. They were stiff as cardboard cutouts and creepy as ****, like the twins in The Shining[/IMG]

that is funny....i think both speeches stunk. Trumps could have been good if he sticks to facts. He made some good points, but then rambles off stats that are not true. This basically discredits the whole speech or gives people things to pick on. Stick to facts....Currently have to say Trump is losing the battle, but we shall see

I got stuck at work...….. didn't see. what was your thoughts about it if you saw life?

The best part:

"In the last two years, ICE officers made 266,000 arrests of aliens with criminal records including those charged or convicted of 100,000 assaults, 30,000 sex crimes, and 4,000 violent killings. Over the years, thousands of Americans have been brutally killed by those who illegally entered our country and thousands more lives will be lost if we don’t act right now.
This is a humanitarian crisis. A crisis of the heart, and a crisis of the soul. Last month, 20,000 migrant children were illegally brought into the United States, a dramatic increase. These children are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs. One in three women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek up through Mexico. Women and children are the biggest victims, by far, of our broken system.
This is the tragic reality of illegal immigration on our southern border. This is the cycle of human suffering that I am determined to end. My administration has presented Congress with a detailed proposal to secure the border and stop the criminal gangs, drug smugglers, and human traffickers. It’s a tremendous problem. "

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/us/politics/trump-speech-transcript.html

You didn't miss much, this was the gist of it. Turn your sound up so you don't miss any of the important stuff.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I cut this together to sum up the border security speech made by <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@realDonaldTrump</a> tonight. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/donaldtrump?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#donaldtrump</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bordersecurity?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#bordersecurity</a> <a href="https://t.co/O88UNh4chw">pic.twitter.com/O88UNh4chw</a></p>— Leon Ingram (@MudflapOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/MudflapOfficial/status/1082838155147960321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 9, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So as I said yesterday, I wasn't watching him, no reason to since I've heard it all before so no sense in wasting our time, but tuned in to Nancy and Chuck. Never been a Nancy fan and wish she would retire already, but I do have one question and a point I agree with both of them on (Nancy and Chuck that is)...why can't the government be reopened and negotiate then? Why is it necessary to shut down, even if only partially, the government to sit down, talk and come up with a good border security plan? One where everyone can agree on something for everyone. So is it unreasonable to reopen the government, stop this little hissy fit which is getting him nowhere and start making real plans for border security? Truth be told he shouldn't have run on the campaign that Mexico will pay for the wall, and now saying indirectly through the USMCA that hasn't even passed Congress yet. Just more lies. Getting sick and tired of all the nonsense of "dems don't want border security", which is pure and utter bullshit.

why can't the government be reopened and negotiate then? Why is it necessary to shut down, even if only partially, the government to sit down, talk and come up with a good border security plan? One where everyone can agree on something for everyone. So is it unreasonable to reopen the government, stop this little hissy fit which is getting him nowhere and start making real plans for border security?

Because we have seen this before. Remember the 1986 amnesty bill? Yeah, congress promised funding for border security then, and then never funded it until about 10 years later, and then funded it inadequately at that. That is the big one. There have been other times that funding was promised and it either was not funded or fell way short of what was needed. It is a historical problem.

Truth of the matter is this: What you call a hissy fit, is the result of previous congressional (in)action. Perhaps that is giving Trump too much credit, but the way I see it is that neither side has earned the benefit of the doubt to be trusted to negotiate in good faith. When that happens, this is where you end up.

Because we have seen this before. Remember the 1986 amnesty bill? Yeah, congress promised funding for border security then, and then never funded it until about 10 years later, and then funded it inadequately at that. That is the big one. There have been other times that funding was promised and it either was not funded or fell way short of what was needed. It is a historical problem.

Truth of the matter is this: What you call a hissy fit, is the result of previous congressional (in)action. Perhaps that is giving Trump too much credit, but the way I see it is that neither side has earned the benefit of the doubt to be trusted to negotiate in good faith. When that happens, this is where you end up.

Ah thanks for the explanation. In 1986 at the age of 20, I didn't pay much attention to anything other than passing chemistry/biology let alone what happened with the government then, so no, can't say I remember that nor would I now take that into consideration. I know that politicians usually only have their own interests at stake, I get that will likely never change, but I just think there's other ways of going about this than causing a government shutdown. Where I put him at fault here is he was ready to sign a nonpartisan bill until he listened to the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter (who I find to be one of the most despicable cretins on this earth). I fault him because they aren't the ones who are supposed to run this country. Yes, I have a huge problem with that. So this shutdown was averted until he heard them. In this case the dems want something in return so I feel, IMO, that a compromise can be made where everyone is satisfied and reasonable funding distributed to all causes. Maybe things will be different today, who knows, but I'd like to see the shutdown end. We have friends who can probably make it through one more pay before causing financial burden. Would like to see that not happen to these good people.

I gotta be honest. I think people on the left give Limbaugh, Hannity and Coulter too much credit. They are conservative political pundits, not unlike those you see on CNN, MSNBC, etc. They give their opinion. Agree or don't. I'm not sure how much political sway they actually have.

It's especially telling Congress had a bipartisan immigration deal worked out last year with $25 billion for border security, which was not good enough for Trump cause he couldn't put his name on a stupid wall.

This has never been about border security for him. He doesn't have two coherent thoughts about this. He's carrying out the far-right racist Stephen Miller's policies and, on a lesser note, thinks he has to build a wall to make his base happy. Nowhere in there is a shred of common sense, cooperation, negotiating, compromise on an issue important to all Americans. You hire an unhinged and easily-triggered train conductor, don't be surprised when it results in an inevitable trainwreck.

There is reality, and then there are the views of the Tibtard. Two completely different things.

I think the speech will be continued tomorrow when he arrives at the border. I think he wants the people to have an opportunity to see first hand what's going on there. Not someone in D.C. saying it doesn't need fixing. I think he also needs to show the people the humanitarian Donald Trump.