• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What Sparked the Steelers’ Interest in Malik Willis?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Tuesday, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and GM Kevin Colbert traveled to Liberty University to watch quarterback prospect Malik Willis debut his talent during Liberty’s Pro Day. There, Willis told the media that not only did the Steelers’ staff members drive over six hours on short notice to attend the Pro Day, but they had gotten there a night early to take the young star to dinner. While it is clear that the Steelers are interested in drafting Willis this offseason, what originally sparked such heavy interest from the Steelers organization?

According to 247Sports, Willis initially committed to Auburn University in the class of 2017 as a three-star recruit. Following the 2018 season, Willis decided to transfer to Liberty University, where he sat out for a season before taking over at quarterback in 2020. In 2021, the Atlanta native seemed to feel more comfortable than ever and turned heads all season long.

During the 2021 season, Willis threw for 2,857 yards, 12 touchdowns, and maintained a passer rating of 151.1 — some of the best numbers in the nation last season. At Willis’s NFL Combine performance, the young star seemed to stand out to Tomlin and Colbert more than any other prospect. According to NFL.com, Malik Willis has a prospect grade of 6.41 — meaning Willis is projected to be a starter within the next two seasons.

Willis’s talent is undoubtedly there; the question now is, can the Steelers tap into it and turn him into a franchise-caliber quarterback? Though no one is sure whether or not the Steelers will need to trade up or stay at pick No. 20 to grab Willis, the interest from both sides seems to be mutual. Through the dinners, Pro Days, etc., Malik Willis appears to be Mike Tomlin’s next draft pick.

Do you think the Steelers should go after Malik Willis in the first round of this year’s draft? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

( Insert Michael Scott “NO” gif here )

no-do-not-want.gif

If they truly feel Willis is a franchise QB, by all means, they should take him, but I hope this just isn't a case of them thinking themselves into loving a QB prospect because Ben just retired.

It still bothers me that Colbert is going to play such a big role in the decision when he'll have no skin in the game beyond the draft.

It's not that I don't trust his judgment, but knowing you're about to exit and do not have to deal with the repercussions of a potential miss on a first round QB can affect things.

I don’t want them to do it, but I’ve resigned myself to not caring as much if they do. He’s talented but raw. Still think building everything up for Trubisky or a future draft pick is smart way to go but….whateva

Easy answer - Ben retired and how can we remain relevant in a division and conference with some uber-talented QB's.

I keep hearing the opinions on how 'raw' Willis is. Yeah, Liberty isn't the SEC; but the kid MAINTAINED a QB rating of 150+ for the whole year. That is not sucking.

Whoever we draft is going to make this team better...

Easy answer - Ben retired and how can we remain relevant in a division and conference with some uber-talented QB's.

I keep hearing the opinions on how 'raw' Willis is. Yeah, Liberty isn't the SEC; but the kid MAINTAINED a QB rating of 150+ for the whole year. That is not sucking.

How raw he is isn't an opinion Berm it is a fact. First off his completion percentage dipped to an all time low of 61 percent. His INTs increased significantly in his last year as well. Really not attractive.

You also like to see a kid transfer from a small school to a big school, not vice versa.

Can he read defenses make his progressions then deliver accurately? Or is he simply Lamar Jackson out there?

Then there is his lack of ideal height.

For me just too many question-marks to commit to drafting him round 1. They are pushing this class up. Not sure that is a good idea to get involved with their reach platform.

Next year there is a much deeper class. Grabbing a 1st rounder this year roadblocks next year.

I always find when you can multiple question negatively check mark a prospect early it just increases the risk. Really no need to force it.

I think the better approach value wise is to see what is there in 2 or wait next year and move up if there is a desire. Which I would then definitely desire.

How raw he is isn't an opinion Berm it is a fact. First off his completion percentage dipped to an all time low of 61 percent. His INTs increased significantly in his last year as well. Really not attractive.

You also like to see a kid transfer from a small school to a big school, not vice versa.

Can he read defenses make his progressions then deliver accurately? Or is he simply Lamar Jackson out there?

Then there is his lack of ideal height.

For me just too many question-marks to commit to drafting him round 1. They are pushing this class up. Not sure that is a good idea to get involved with their reach platform.

Next year there is a much deeper class. Grabbing a 1st rounder this year roadblocks next year.

I always find when you can multiple question negatively check mark a prospect early it just increases the risk. Really no need to force it.

I think the better approach value wise is to see what is there in 2 or wait next year and move up if there is a desire. Which I would then definitely desire.
I don't even think we have a chance at taking Willis unless we jump into the top five...

I don't even think we have a chance at taking Willis unless we jump into the top five...
I was thinking the QBs go off at 10/11. But there is a few teams that need a QB that drafts higher. We shall see how it shakes out..

Good. The Steelers have bigger needs. The OL and DL need a heavy assist and this guys just doesn't have the resume'. To me, taking Willis is exactly the same as when the Steelers took a first round flyer on Jamain Stephens....a high risk pick with a huge downside if you miss.

Bingo. That’s why I say I’m getting less concerned if they do it. But I’m really liking what I’m hearing about Williams at WR since you and I first talked about it a week or so ago!

Bingo. That’s why I say I’m getting less concerned if they do it. But I’m really liking what I’m hearing about Williams at WR since you and I first talked about it a week or so ago!
I think the only thing would roadblock him is his recovery status. But there is obvious talent there. He checks off all the boxes.

You have really just that question mark which trump's a prospect with 2 to 3.

You draft him in 1 I could live with a QB in 2.

Ain’t this fun?! 🤣🤣🤣. A whole month to go and then we’ll scrutinize what actually happens till fall. I feel just like Cory Feldman at end of The ‘Burbs….(god I love this street” 😎

All I’ll say on this matter is this is the same Coach and GM who had a first round grade on the one and only Mason Rudolph. Just sayin’
He has played no worse than many who were first round picks for teams over the years if not better. Plenty of first round busts or just a guy. They may have had a first round grade but they did not take him in the first so it is irrelevant.

I would rather trade down and take Ridder. Yes I am a broken record on that. All this speculation and talk of dinner with Malik ignores they also had dinner with others including Ridder.

He has played no worse than many who were first round picks for teams over the years if not better. Plenty of first round busts or just a guy. They may have had a first round grade but they did not take him in the first so it is irrelevant.
The point was they had a first round grade on Rudolph. They obviously have a first round grade on Willis but hopefully they pass on him for n the first like they did with Rudolph. I would never spend a first on a project. I want my first round pick contributing the first year.

The top prospects are interesting.

Willis looks like he can be an electric playmaker. He needs to improve making his reads and throws, however, great arm strength to push the ball down field and can make plays with his legs. Some of his intermediate throws look effortless.

Pickett is solid at everything, great at nothing. He should be a good QB who will put you in position to win, just maybe not the guy who can carry the entire team on his shoulders like Ben and other franchise guys.

Ridder's intangibles seem off the chart. He's got the height, good arm strength, experience, just maybe not the week-to-week consistency you'd like to see. I think his confidence is top notch, he will command the huddle.

Howell has a nice arm and is athletic, just rough around the edges. He isn't a guy who elevated his game or the playmakers around him when his top teammates left for the NFL. He plays a little too loose for my liking and really don't see him being a good starting QB.

I would rather trade down and take Ridder. Yes I am a broken record on that. All this speculation and talk of dinner with Malik ignores they also had dinner with others including Ridder.
I like Ridder if we picked up good return and drafted toward the bottom of one. I could live with it. He has height, arm, a better completion stat year in comparison to Malik, scrambling ability. Less concern boxes check marked.

I like Ridder if we picked up good return and drafted toward the bottom of one. I could live with it. He has height, arm, a better completion stat year in comparison to Malik, scrambling ability. Less concern boxes check marked.
If they did want Ridder, he's probably one of the QBs who they could still safely draft by trading down. Obviously they'd need a trade partner and it'd be real nice to add a mid-round pick and still get your guy.

What Sparked the Steelers’ Interest in Malik Willis?​

Malik's mom has incriminating photos??