• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who……….Actually will run the “O”

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion

Although many here dream of the Tomlin giving up all input on the “O, I highly doubt that will be the case. The “O” will be a mixture of New Offensive Coordinator A. Smith and input philosophy of the Tomlin. Add in the hand of Rooney and one can see it will be a mixture of old and new.

One thing I do think, there will be a HUGE commitment to the run. The days of 3 and a cloud of dust could be a reality, But I’m hoping
for 4.3……. Than the cloud. I also think Najee & Jaylen will be the best RB duo in the league, that in itself win win a few.

It’s a good read, but then again anything that has Adidi involved would have to be good.

You can find this article on the Home Page here at STEELERNATION.COM

Salute the nation

We might see a wrinkle or two from Smith, but it will still be Tomlins offense. Looks like they really want to run. I hope they can.

So, run, run, pass, punt?
Right. If Shades is really on any level of hot-seat, he will back down and let professionals be professionals. My guess is that the level of the new OC's leadership was discussed to the Nth degree in the hiring process. I know everyone has to love Shades out loud, but anyone who has been in this league for any amount of time knows his "other side" reputation. You can bet it was discussed some, in descrete ways.

Tomlin is still in charge - philosophy will stay the same, run a risk adverse offense. Do just enough on offense to keep the game close and try to win it at the end. Very limited strikes down field, low risk passes to limit turnovers. Try to establish the running game so as to further reduce the need to attack downfield.

I expect to see about 80-90% of the same O that Canada was expected to employ during his tenure. Hopefully someone with a better feel for the game and the ability to be less predictable will be able to overcome Tomlin’s handcuffing of the team.

Tomlin is still in charge - philosophy will stay the same, run a risk adverse offense. Do just enough on offense to keep the game close and try to win it at the end. Very limited strikes down field, low risk passes to limit turnovers. Try to establish the running game so as to further reduce the need to attack downfield.
This is my fear. He started turtling it under OCRF. I fear that philosophy will not change.

I expect to see about 80-90% of the same O that Canada was expected to employ during his tenure. Hopefully someone with a better feel for the game and the ability to be less predictable will be able to overcome Tomlin’s handcuffing of the team.
To an extent, you do need a philosophy from the top down because the odds are the HC will be around longer than the OC. The offense will also be limited with a solid WR2 stepping into the WR1 role, a rookie slot receiver, and a bunch of guys who are WR4-6 range. Not many guys on this offense who are going to scare a defense.

To an extent, you do need a philosophy from the top down because the odds are the HC will be around longer than the OC. The offense will also be limited with a solid WR2 stepping into the WR1 role, a rookie slot receiver, and a bunch of guys who are WR4-6 range. Not many guys on this offense who are going to scare a defense.
Whose ineffectiveness will be exacerbated by a HC forcing no throws to the middle of the field, further causing to one to get open.

Ole’ Russ has a propensity to avoid the middle of the field. Remember, with all his success in Seattle he had a killer defense and a monster running game with the beast Marshawn Lynch.
He got nothing like that here!
He was never one to work the middle of the field so don’t get too excited with him.
Listen, this guy took over 100 sacks the past two years. This could get ugly.
I actually have more hope in young Justin.

Tomlin can't change his stripes.
Oh he COULD, but he won’t.

I’m not even really sure that a drastic change in philosophy is really needed. What needs to change is the playing to not lose mentality. Go out and impose your will on the other team, and don’t let up if it works or give in if it doesn’t.

His career record does show that his philosophy works, as long as you only look at regular season records. This is because it works better against non playoff calibre teams. If/when you get to the playoffs, you can’t play not to lose turtle ball. The other teams are too good to give the extra 3-4 series of play options, and expect your D to shut them down. Playoff games have to be won, that is just a fact.

Last edited:
Between muth and roman there should be plenty of middle of the field opportunities. Let's see what happens
This is what I am hoping will happen.

With a much improved O-Line, you do not need to rely on the TE/s to be ONLY responsible for blocking at the line. With the right players you would never have to switch out of a 2-WR, 2-TE, 1-RB group. A whole Offense can be developed around that package, and the Steelers have the players to make it work.
WR - Pickens, Wilson, Austin, and even Fields & Plumlee
TE - Muth, Washington, Heyward
RB - Harris, Warren, and even Fields & Plumlee.

There are so many ways to line those guys up, the opposing D would not really be able to take away run or pass. Attack the D as their player packages dictate.

line up every snap and go no huddle
WR - TE - LT - LG - C - RG - RT - TE - WR
QB
RB
See what the D is showing than shift players pre-snap. Drop Washington back to FB, motion WR to trips on one side, motion the RB to a 5 wide set…….. so many options. You also have the option of running with 7 “linemen” on the field. You also have the threat or use of gadget plays by bringing in Fields and/or Plumlee.

If this offense becomes anywhere near predictable, the Russ will not survive the year.

Salute the nation

This is what I am hoping will happen.

With a much improved O-Line, you do not need to rely on the TE/s to be ONLY responsible for blocking at the line. With the right players you would never have to switch out of a 2-WR, 2-TE, 1-RB group. A whole Offense can be developed around that package, and the Steelers have the players to make it work.
WR - Pickens, Wilson, Austin, and even Fields & Plumlee
TE - Muth, Washington, Heyward
RB - Harris, Warren, and even Fields & Plumlee.

There are so many ways to line those guys up, the opposing D would not really be able to take away run or pass. Attack the D as their player packages dictate.

line up every snap and go no huddle
WR - TE - LT - LG - C - RG - RT - TE - WR
QB
RB
See what the D is showing than shift players pre-snap. Drop Washington back to FB, motion WR to trips on one side, motion the RB to a 5 wide set…….. so many options. You also have the option of running with 7 “linemen” on the field. You also have the threat or use of gadget plays by bringing in Fields and/or Plumlee.

Dang good post MT-Forged, thanks for all your great ones along the way.

Fully agree, but it’s the Tomlin Medsling that has me the most worried. Nothing we say can overcome that.

My hopes is, Rooney has had enough, and mentioned that Coach will have less say for the OC to do his job.

Salute the nation

PS

Look what happened l;ast 3 games, last season. It appeared as though Tomlin let the OC(s) work independently. Once the Playoffs got here—————-

B-O-O-M

Business wasn’t BoomN

My fear is at any given time or just little bits and pieces here and there of Tomlin influence and we are right back to square one.

Salute the nation

PS

Look what happened l;ast 3 games, last season. It appeared as though Tomlin let the OC(s) work independently. Once the Playoffs got here—————-

B-O-O-M

Business wasn’t BoomN

My fear is at any given time or just little bits and pieces here and there of Tomlin influence and we are right back to square one.

Salute the nation
This exactly why I say things will not really change until he is gone. The only time he is willing to risk it, is when he has no other choice. Last year is a perfect example. They had to win the last 3 games to have a chance, so to hell with it, take the shackles off. They get lucky and get into the playoffs, and it is a brand new season, what does he do AGAIN, he plays into his fears and goes ultra conservative and loses once again. Not only does the O fail to score in turtle ball mode, but the overrated D once again gives up almost 500 points.

Hoping Tomlin changes how he approaches games is not a reason to keep him. The reason to get rid of him is because he REFUSES to change his approach to games. If he were only in his first 3-5 years, maybe you cut him some slack.

The results that we have seen over the last 10+ years, are 100% the fault of Art Rooney II. Personally, I think it is past time that AR2 remove Tomlin as HC and then himself resign for his incompetence.

I think Art 2 is closer to bringing in his son than we think. There has been a bit more “boldness” from the Rooney clan than normal. The Tomlin has shown a “more” concerned than normal too.

I for one, want that change to occur. I know there are those who are comfortable with what we got, but I don’t buy into the “be careful what you wish for” culture. I’m not a hater or a lover, I just want change from going no where.

Yes we can become a way worse coached team, but how will we ever get past the pick 20-ish and middle of the average pack?

It takes risk to change, no risk = no change, and we have coaching history with this coach to prove it.

Salute the nation

I for one, want that change to occur...I’m not a hater or a lover, I just want change from going no where.

It takes risk to change, no risk = no change

Salute the nation
^THIS^
giphy.gif

Ole’ Russ has a propensity to avoid the middle of the field. Remember, with all his success in Seattle he had a killer defense and a monster running game with the beast Marshawn Lynch.
He got nothing like that here!
He was never one to work the middle of the field so don’t get too excited with him.
Listen, this guy took over 100 sacks the past two years. This could get ugly.
I actually have more hope in young Justin.
Kenny, we hardly knew ya.

I think Tomlin controls the texture of the offense but probably doesn't have that much understanding of the complexity of scheme. I think he is a leadership guy. I don't think he is an x and o guy. If he was he'd call his own defense at least.

I think Art 2 is closer to bringing in his son than we think. There has been a bit more “boldness” from the Rooney clan than normal. The Tomlin has shown a “more” concerned than normal too.

I for one, want that change to occur. I know there are those who are comfortable with what we got, but I don’t buy into the “be careful what you wish for” culture. I’m not a hater or a lover, I just want change from going no where.

Yes we can become a way worse coached team, but how will we ever get past the pick 20-ish and middle of the average pack?

It takes risk to change, no risk = no change, and we have coaching history with this coach to prove it.

Salute the nation
I'd be happy going through one or two coaches to get to the guy who gets this team out of Groundhog Day. I don't care you are getting cream of available coaches. It's a dream job really. There is no franchise in all sports I'd assume that has had three coaches since 1970.

I'd be happy going through one or two coaches to get to the guy who gets this team out of Groundhog Day. I don't care you are getting cream of available coaches. It's a dream job really. There is no franchise in all sports I'd assume that has had three coaches since 1970.
100% agree. When Tomlin finally goes away, the Steelers can get pick of the litter so to speak

Until I see actual change, I'm going to go with looks like last year and the year before and the year before and the year before and the year before and the year before...

Of course the excuses are already built it. New offense,New qb,New offensive players and OL.

It's really all going to hinge on either new qb playing above the line and playaction with more of a vertical passing attack if the run game is working.

I don't expect the running game to be good until about 8-9 games in.