• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who is the most polarizing Steelers offensive player?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
(if i knew how to post a poll from my phone on here, I would..lol)

So I’m guessing that we currently have a record number of what Id call “ polarizing” players on the O right now… guys who some utterly hate and want demoted or off the team entirely while others defend religiously… in fact, id argue that for the first time I can remember, all of the Offensive starters are at least a bit polarizing…
Im looking to get a feel for who gets the most passionate split opinion debates on the team..

So here are my top five:

1. Kenny Pickett. Kind of a hometown kid, but went to Pitt rather than Penn State… a first round pick many didn’t want. Hasn’t lit it up nor done enough to be benched yet…

2. Najeh Harris. A first round pick RB that many didn’t want. Has done ok to good as a starter, but not the Running game savior or star some hoped for

3. Dan Moore. Moore has been a serviceable but excessively flawed LT. Its only a matter of time before Jones surplants him. Some think he should stay and eventually be the RT, others want him jettisoned into the sun…

4. Dionte Johnson. There are people who can not get past his prior drops and failed plays, others see him as a top notch #2

5. George Pickens. While an obvious talent, some have started to associate his behavior with the previous problem WRs we have had and are quickly falling off of the bandwagon.

Others whom i don’t think that rise to those five, bit have a little polarizing opinions going on:

Chuks Okafor.. an overpaid RT that kind of gets overshadowed by Moore when he falters

The entire IOL.. all bigger UFA acquisitions that haven’t lived up to the billing

Pat friermuth ..easily the least polarizing guy right now, but the injury and lack of use combined with his poor blocking ability is causing some questions

Allen Robinson- is he a useless cog or a valuable locker room presence? I think everyone expected more but some are giving up more than others

Jaylen Warren - the oddball where everyone thinks he is good, they just can’t agree if he is better than Harris or not..

And honerable mention goes to Mason Rudolph, who remains a polarizing force despite being a near meaningless #3

I think Steeler fans have so much hate toward the coaches that players kinda get a pass.
But to your question I would say Dan Moore.
4th round draft pick that was raw.has improved every year but most fans just want Jones to start cause he was a 1st round pick. Myself prons included

I think Steeler fans have so much hate toward the coaches that players kinda get a pass.
4th round draft pick that was raw.has improved every year but most fans just want Jones to start cause he was a 1st round pick. Myself prons included
Solution is so obvious that Tomlin won't do it

Solution is so obvious that Tomlin won't do it
To guys sitting on the coach on Sundays it is obvious. We just don't know the whole story. We are not in practice with these guys every day

Chuks isn't good at run blocking and is barely average at pass blocking. Why is he playing?
Because the coaches think he gives the best chance for winning a game?

I think Robinson is pretty much a useless cog. Nothing against the guy but he has been consistently underwhelming.

I think like most of us have been saying the issues can be found with the play design. Is Professor Canada actually capable and knowledgeable enough at this high level of competition to scheme where our receivers get the most favorable matchups each week? I think that’s where most of the problem resides.
For example he does not use the super speedy Cal Austin correctly at all. This little shifty speedy receiver should be used on quick slants and WR screens to utilize his speed for YAC. All Canada does is send him deep.
Big George and DJ should be killing it over the middle with slants. Hitting Big George in stride with a quick slant over the middle and it’s lights out.
You simply cannot take an OC who wasn’t very good in college and expect great results at this level. That’s insane thinking.
The problems reside with the incompetence of the OC and the stubborn HC that continues with this nonsense.

1. Kenny Pickett - A first round QB who doesn't do anything until the fourth quarter. There are homers who will only look at his comeback wins and haters who only look at his lack of production.

2. Najee Harris - Basically the same as Pickett minus playing for Pitt. Pickett at least plays QB and is understandable as a first-round pick. Harris has an uphill battle as a first-round RB and his production has not matched.

3. Diontae Johnson - It's gotten to the point that his talent is completely dismissed by many. He's not an elite No. 1 receiver, but he's not this worthless player like some make him out to be.

4. Pat Freiermuth - He's faced a lot of criticism this year. His blocking has been terrible and of course he hasn't been on the field lately. His strength is catching passes and he doesn't do that either. We already had a thread on this board what we should do with Freiermuth.

5. George Pickens - Some believe he's a start while others think he's a work in progress. I think we can all agree he can play smarter.

I think that's the list. Both tackles are disliked and I would think most believe Jones should be starting over Moore. We all recognize Mason Cole has played poorly this year. Allen Robinson and Calvin Austin are basically invisible in the offense. Both guards have picked up their play after a slow start, but are always overshadowed by the play of the tackles and center.

I don't really see dj hate. I mean yes he had some drops but that was a few years ago. He has not gone backwards much this year. He is a very good WR making decent fair money.
That being said I would trade him for a 1st

Zero hate. Zero. If wanting the best for something you love is hate,then so be it.I see it as no different than cutting a player that is so longer serviceable to the team. I don't hate any player, severely disappointed in them, for sure.

The team is long overdue for a complete coaching change.

There's just nothing I can do about it since I'm just a fan.

1. Kenny Pickett - A first round QB who doesn't do anything until the fourth quarter. There are homers who will only look at his comeback wins and haters who only look at his lack of production.

2. Najee Harris - Basically the same as Pickett minus playing for Pitt. Pickett at least plays QB and is understandable as a first-round pick. Harris has an uphill battle as a first-round RB and his production has not matched.

3. Diontae Johnson - It's gotten to the point that his talent is completely dismissed by many. He's not an elite No. 1 receiver, but he's not this worthless player like some make him out to be.

4. Pat Freiermuth - He's faced a lot of criticism this year. His blocking has been terrible and of course he hasn't been on the field lately. His strength is catching passes and he doesn't do that either. We already had a thread on this board what we should do with Freiermuth.

5. George Pickens - Some believe he's a start while others think he's a work in progress. I think we can all agree he can play smarter.

I think that's the list. Both tackles are disliked and I would think most believe Jones should be starting over Moore. We all recognize Mason Cole has played poorly this year. Allen Robinson and Calvin Austin are basically invisible in the offense. Both guards have picked up their play after a slow start, but are always overshadowed by the play of the tackles and center.
Kenny floats for me right in between, I like his 4th quarters and dislike those initial struggles. I just wonder how much of that falls on the scheme, and the HC desiring an ultra conservative start with miniscule risk.

If that is on the table which I believe it to be then it is fair to wonder if Kenny's early struggles is coach induced. Not referencing his happy feet or drifting into pressure. I think that doesn't necessarily get included due to some of it being present during his college run.

Pickett shouldn't be polarizing IMO. If we can blame coaching/schemes for Bens struggles, then we can certainly blame coaching/schemes and not the new guy.
Also, Pickett redeems himself in the 4th quarter when it most counts, so we know that the potential to be a good QB is there, maybe even a great QB. Give him time.

It seems Harris or Chuks are the most polarizing players around here, but in different ways. I think most are critical of Harris style, not that he a terrible RB, whereas most believe that Chucks flat out stinks.

Matt O’Canada

Most for me to want to Pulvarize, close enough ?

Salute the nation

To guys sitting on the coach on Sundays it is obvious. We just don't know the whole story. We are not in practice with these guys every day

That is true, but Jones graded out super well in his lone start this season, not so much for Moore.

Salute the nation

I think Najee and Warren are two of the top 20-30 backs in the NFL they just don’t have consistent blocking or a good offensive coordinator. Improve those two things and I think they could routinely split 35 carries for 160 yards.

I think Najee and Warren are two of the top 20-30 backs in the NFL they just don’t have consistent blocking or a good offensive coordinator. Improve those two things and I think they could routinely split 35 carries for 160 yards.
That is a fine spot for Warren. Harris needed to be a top-10 back with the investment the team made in him.

Quite frankly, I fell sorry for all of them.

When any professionally run team can scout our offense in an hour and not only know the play, the blocking tendencies and the designed outcome, it would make it difficult to block as well as run. The receivers do not have the design to "option" out of their routes too, which makes them easier to cover. Professional athletes should be able to "get open" like all other teams seem to do to us. Except we, tell them the plays and where we are going and what we are trying to do by being repetitive.

Repeating ^&*%$% plays over and over and expecting better execution is an insane exercise in futility. The only time we are successful is when the opposing team screws up, not when we do it right. Hell, we look best when we run contrary to the design of the play.

I do know Tomlin’s story from watching it for what seems more like a century than decades
He’ll be loyal to a FAULT with his player evals-once you’re in his club it’s hard to get kicked out

The ownership also shows him that loyalty so they have created an entire culture of complacency and it shows

I do know Tomlin’s story from watching it for what seems more like a century than decades
He’ll be loyal to a FAULT with his player evals-once you’re in his club it’s hard to get kicked out

The ownership also shows him that loyalty so they have created an entire culture of complacency and it shows

Add in “player’s” coach.

Translation: Don’t have to be accountable for actions. Undisciplined, with continual use of ping pong tables.

Salute the nation

Pickett shouldn't be polarizing IMO. If we can blame coaching/schemes for Bens struggles, then we can certainly blame coaching/schemes and not the new guy.
Also, Pickett redeems himself in the 4th quarter when it most counts, so we know that the potential to be a good QB is there, maybe even a great QB. Give him time.

It seems Harris or Chuks are the most polarizing players around here, but in different ways. I think most are critical of Harris style, not that he a terrible RB, whereas most believe that Chucks flat out stinks.

Pickett is polarizing for several reasons
1. The college he went to. Some people assume that the Steelers were simply being homers drafting him. The reality is they infrequently draft Pitt players despite sharing a practice facility and stadium with them and having more access to them than they do for other colleges… but that is the perception.
2. He has had an extremely lukewarm early career. He has some great comeback wins, a ridiculous number actually… tied for 208th all time with the likes of Tua and Joe Burrow, among a lot of others, but in an extremely small amount of starts… however his flashy stats like Tds or yardage are horrendously low… so some focus on the results and others the stats… which leads them to different conclusions…

The real problem is that when you really go deep in the metrics, you see a foundation for an extremely good player but he needs to move about 5% to 8% of his bad throws into the good throw column to get there… if he can get those bad throws from 20-18% down to 15-13% and the accurate throws up from the low 70’s to the mid to high 70’s… you have an outline of an extremely good Qb… but he hovers down towards mediocre in those stats and the reason is bad footwork and mechanics at times… which is correctable , but only if he trusts his line, and gets the direction to fix it.
So some see potential and others mediocre results right now.

And more perplexing, you see his best successes coming when his downfield targets are higher… when we are most aggressive and attacking the entire field, but those series are limited to before the half and late in the game..

I mean his three worst average targeted air yards attempted came in the Cleveland, Houston, and jags games.. ( though he was injury as he was driving Down the field before the half… so its really incomplete..)
But those were two losses and a game that should have been a loss…
The yards/attempt is really telling..in all 3 losses it was 5 yards or fewer, and in all the wins its 7 or higher…

So here is the question… is the qb not being aggressive down the field because of personal decisions or scheme?

Again depending on what the person believes that shades the opinion of the qb one way or the other

Pickett is polarizing for several reasons
1. The college he went to. Some people assume that the Steelers were simply being homers drafting him. The reality is they infrequently draft Pitt players despite sharing a practice facility and stadium with them and having more access to them than they do for other colleges… but that is the perception.
2. He has had an extremely lukewarm early career. He has some great comeback wins, a ridiculous number actually… tied for 208th all time with the likes of Tua and Joe Burrow, among a lot of others, but in an extremely small amount of starts… however his flashy stats like Tds or yardage are horrendously low… so some focus on the results and others the stats… which leads them to different conclusions…

The real problem is that when you really go deep in the metrics, you see a foundation for an extremely good player but he needs to move about 5% to 8% of his bad throws into the good throw column to get there… if he can get those bad throws from 20-18% down to 15-13% and the accurate throws up from the low 70’s to the mid to high 70’s… you have an outline of an extremely good Qb… but he hovers down towards mediocre in those stats and the reason is bad footwork and mechanics at times… which is correctable , but only if he trusts his line, and gets the direction to fix it.
So some see potential and others mediocre results right now.

And more perplexing, you see his best successes coming when his downfield targets are higher… when we are most aggressive and attacking the entire field, but those series are limited to before the half and late in the game..

I mean his three worst average targeted air yards attempted came in the Cleveland, Houston, and jags games.. ( though he was injury as he was driving Down the field before the half… so its really incomplete..)
But those were two losses and a game that should have been a loss…
The yards/attempt is really telling..in all 3 losses it was 5 yards or fewer, and in all the wins its 7 or higher…

So here is the question… is the qb not being aggressive down the field because of personal decisions or scheme?

Again depending on what the person believes that shades the opinion of the qb one way or the other
I really think it is scheme mixed in with a green QB. Plus there might be an element of a QB that might take longer to develop that some care for. He took a little longer in college..