• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who's left here that still believes?

Do we really have a winning culture?
Well, only 9 losing seasons since the formation of the new league in 1970. So I would say yes.

Pittsburgh Steelers
  • According to 2 sources
The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 517 games since 1970, which is the most in the NFL. Their record in that timespan was 517-326-4.

Well, only 9 losing seasons since the formation of the new league in 1970. So I would say yes.

Pittsburgh Steelers
  • According to 2 sources
The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 517 games since 1970, which is the most in the NFL. Their record in that timespan was 517-326-4.
I know what you are saying......but the last decade.....while not finishing below .500 I don't deem winning football. If we make the playoffs it has been by hoping someone else loses. And then we get our ***** kicked in the playoffs. So yeah. I would rather go thru a few hardship years and come out say like the Bills....SF....Chiefs.

I will say....as I stated somewhere before. My brother thinks I ***** to much. He says he would simply love to finish above .500 and make the playoffs. He is a Raiders fan.

Maybe that is where we are...where finishing with a winning record and possibly making the playoffs is our goal. Not actually making it to the SB and winning it.

Do we really have a winning culture?
If by winning culture you mean winning another Championship....NO
If by winning culture you mean being a SB caliber team...still no
If by winning culture you mean playoff success.....damn it, still no
If by winning culture you mean imposing our will and beating teams we should beat.....I got nothing
If by winning culture you mean not having a losing record...than we are #winning!

You're going to hate hearing this as much as I hate saying it.

Only 9 losing seasons since the formation of the new league in 1970. That is impressive I dont care who you are.

So by a winning culture I mean the most winningest franchise in the NFL since 1970.

Pittsburgh Steelers
  • According to 2 sources

Winning games means winning games.
Believe me, I don't cling to this to provide solace and help me sleep better at night.
I want playoff wins and Super Bowls as badly as anyone else.

Just 1 more before I die. Please God.

I know what you are saying......but the last decade.....while not finishing below .500 I don't deem winning football. If we make the playoffs it has been by hoping someone else loses. And then we get our ***** kicked in the playoffs. So yeah. I would rather go thru a few hardship years and come out say like the Bills....SF....Chiefs.

I will say....as I stated somewhere before. My brother thinks I ***** to much. He says he would simply love to finish above .500 and make the playoffs. He is a Raiders fan.

Maybe that is where we are...where finishing with a winning record and possibly making the playoffs is our goal. Not actually making it to the SB and winning it.
I understand, but speaking of decades, I remember during the 80's we barely finished over .500 for that decade....under a great coach .
I thought we would never get back to prominence...until Cowher came along!

As I said before, I am not as anti-Tomlin as most, but I do believe Tomlins tenure has run it's course and perhaps a change is in order.
Somethings got to change.

To outsiders, Tomlins no losing seasons IS keeping the standard going.

Look at some other former powerhouses that fell from grace...
Whatever happened to the "Just Win Baby" Raiders and their "Commitment to excellence" ?
Dallas played in 8 Super Bowls and won 5.....in the last century. Don't hear the once often spoken words a lot anymore. "Americas Team".
Old school teams like the Shitstains with their 4 NFL Championships. Paul Brown was "Gods gift to football" ya know.
...Vince Lombardis Packers went to s h i t for decades.

We will see how long it takes for the Pats to get back to prominence.
Hopefully never.
So does the new Pats coach or coaches be blamed for not keeping their standard going?

The Niners went to s h i t for a long time after their dynasty, but have finally become contenders again.

So, it wouldn't be a reach to say that the Steelers are tops as far as maintaining a winning culture...despite the playoff win drought.
Thats what leaves a bad taste.
Do you hear how contradictory that is?

The players of course.

I wonder what the attitude would be toward Tomlin had he won a Super Bowl with "his players".

Versus Green Bay Tomlin didn't miss a wide-open Mike Wallace for a TD. Marsha makes that throw.
Nor did Tomlin lose a fumble as we were marching toward the endzone.
Good thing Tomlin left the fridge full huh?

I meant Cowher left it full for Tomlin
LOL...that crossed my mind, but it didn't make sense because Tomlins still the coach so he hasn't left the refrigerator for anybody! Yet.
And if the players are that bad, why all the Tomlin hate?

Then there's another angle that we could look at regarding Cowhers players.
First of all, I don't ***** about winning.
I'll take a win any way we can get it, but I remember the Super Bowl win vs Seattle leaving many Steeler fans with an empty feeling. Aside from Ben sucking, the team didn't play well as a whole. Without Parkers 75 yd run, the trick play to Ward, and the questionable calls that went our way, I'm not sure we win that game which would have left Cowher at 0-2 in SB's.

A theory that decided Cowhers retirement: Steelers were a sixth seed Cinderella team having enough good fortune to beat Seattle
The following year Cowhers players go 8-8.
Reality sunk in for Cowher. A fortunate SB win, followed by an 8-8 season. This team wasn't going anywhere for a while...grab a Snickers.
Cowher got his Super Bowl. Best time to hang it up was now.

The moral of the story....It took Mike Tomlin to mold into shape an 8-8 team consisting of Cowhers players into a Super Bowl contender!

This "Tomlin won with Cowhers players" thing is kind of silly when you think about it for a moment.

That means it takes good players to win.
So couldn't we say that Tomlin just never had the players to win?

Oh but he does Stewie!

Ok then how could he win with Cowhers players but be unable to win with his own?

Could we be faulting Tomlin for failing to coach up mediocre players to become Super Bowl champions?

Last edited:
This "Tomlin won with Cowhers players" thing is kind of silly when you think about it for a moment.

Oh but he does Stewie!

Ok then how could he win with Cowhers players but be unable to win with his own?

Could we be faulting Tomlin for failing to coach up mediocre players to become Super Bowl champions?
Great coaches need to adapt and Tomlin hasn't done so. Nick Saban changed his philosophy from the start of his career at Alabama compared to the end. He understood offense mattered and adjusted accordingly. Andy Reid is the best coach in the NFL and continually changes his offense to adapt to the times along with to the personnel around Mahomes.

I just don't see that type of change from Tomlin, especially with the prehistoric feeling offensive philosophy trying to win games with as few points as possible.

You need more syrup...
So tell me Bermuda. We have been talking this **** for what four years? What at this point can possibly make you believe Mike Tomlin will produce a Lombardi in whatever time he has left.
Robert Saleh could coach three defensive circles around Tomlin and he is out in less then three years. I'd fire Tomlin tomorrow and hire him.

LOL...that crossed my mind, but it didn't make sense because Tomlins still the coach so he hasn't left the refrigerator for anybody! Yet.

I'll take a win any way we can get it, but I remember the Super Bowl win vs Seattle leaving many Steeler fans with an empty feeling. Aside from Ben sucking, the team didn't play well as a whole. Without Parkers 75 yd run, the trick play to Ward, and the questionable calls that went our way, I'm not sure we win that game which would have left Cowher at 0-2 in SB's.

A theory that decided Cowhers retirement: Steelers were a sixth seed Cinderella team having enough good fortune to beat Seattle
Reality sunk in for Cowher. A fortunate SB win, followed by an 8-8 season. This team wasn't going anywhere for a while...grab a Snickers.

The moral of the story....It took Mike Tomlin to mold into shape an 8-8 team consisting of Cowhers players into a Super Bowl contender!
They finished top 10 on both sides of the ball in 2006.............

Which is why they went to the playoffs the next year? Do tell me, what did Tomlin do between 2007-2009 to get Pitt to two sbs in three years? He didnt change the offense, defense or special teams.

Oh but he does Stewie!

Cause he's a medicore coach that had no business being hired?

Oh but he does Stewie!

He not only won with his players, but also his coaches too.

So tell me Bermuda. We have been talking this **** for what four years? What at this point can possibly make you believe Mike Tomlin will produce a Lombardi in whatever time he has left.
Robert Saleh could coach three defensive circles around Tomlin and he is out in less then three years. I'd fire Tomlin tomorrow and hire him.
It's a known of Coach Tomlin's shortcomings. We hear it, read about it every damn day.

You've been here long enough to see the **** show that he has to manage season in and season out. All coaches have to do this and somehow we haven't had any major news that embarrasses the Rooney family or the NFL.

You think Coach Saleh is a better HC. Noted. I'd be to differ because the stats are the proof.

Let's play a game...

Name 3 HCs that have coached for 15 years or more with no SBs or playoff appearances (or wins) AND they've only coached one team.

Ready, set, go!!!

As I said before, I am not as anti-Tomlin as most, but I do believe Tomlins tenure has run it's course and perhaps a change is in order.
Somethings got to change.

Increasingly more people realize this except for the person whose opinion actually matters on the subject in Art2.

It may not be a popular opinion, but it's becoming apparent to me that Rooney has ulterior motives for continuing to stick with Tomlin.

If winning championships was the priority, a three year extension would not be given to a coach who wasn't won a playoff game in approaching a decade. It just wouldn't.

Honestly, a change has been in order for some time; however, that doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon.

There is next to zero chance of Tomlin getting fired before his most recent contract expires in a few years.

Art2 is just not the type of owner who will continue to pay a coach millions while either coaching another team, sitting at home, or working in the media.

Last edited:
Increasingly more people realize this except for the person whose opinion actually matters on the subject in Art2.

It may not be a popular opinion, but it's becoming apparent to me that Rooney has ulterior motives for continuing to stick with Tomlin.

If winning championships was the priority, a three year extension would not be given to a coach who wasn't won a playoff game in approaching a decade. It just wouldn't.

Honestly, a change has been in order for some time; however, that doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon.

There is next to zero chance of Tomlin getting fired before his most recent contract expires in a few years.

Art2 is just not the type of owner who will continue to pay a coach millions while either coaching another team, sitting at home, or working in the media.
You hit the nail on the head. I don't believe ART2 has the balls to step outside of this comfort zone and do what it takes to actually compete for championships. Tomlin is a winner and he is putting just enough on the field to keep putting ***** in seats. Jeff Lurie, owner of the Eagles is an owner who wants to win championships. After winning a Superbowl and Petterson having a few tomlinesque years of 9-7 he makes the switch, hires Nick Sirianni and they're right back to being in the Superbowl. Art2 is happy being average. He just is.

You hit the nail on the head. I don't believe ART2 has the balls to step outside of this comfort zone and do what it takes to actually compete for championships. Tomlin is a winner and he is putting just enough on the field to keep putting ***** in seats. Jeff Lurie, owner of the Eagles is an owner who wants to win championships. After winning a Superbowl and Petterson having a few tomlinesque years of 9-7 he makes the switch, hires Nick Sirianni and they're right back to being in the Superbowl. Art2 is happy being average. He just is.

I'm not sure he's "happy" with the Steelers being average as much as he values things like his family's legacy of having not fired a coach in over 50 years more.

He can justify it to himself and his business partners as long as Tomlin avoids losing records and keeps the team competitive enough to sustain fan interest through December.

Great coaches need to adapt and Tomlin hasn't done so. Nick Saban changed his philosophy from the start of his career at Alabama compared to the end. He understood offense mattered and adjusted accordingly. Andy Reid is the best coach in the NFL and continually changes his offense to adapt to the times along with to the personnel around Mahomes.

I just don't see that type of change from Tomlin, especially with the prehistoric feeling offensive philosophy trying to win games with as few points as possible.
Tomlin has definitely adapted. When the NFL went offense crazy he was right along with that.
The Killer bees, full on offense, barely any defense.
Now he runs with defense will win championships.
He cannot find the proper balance

Dude, Cowher's wife was dying of cancer so he quit to be with her.

Your moral is off because your facts are misaligned with the reality. Your narrative works for you because you leave out key parts

It's a known of Coach Tomlin's shortcomings. We hear it, read about it every damn day.

You've been here long enough to see the **** show that he has to manage season in and season out. All coaches have to do this and somehow we haven't had any major news that embarrasses the Rooney family or the NFL.

You think Coach Saleh is a better HC. Noted. I'd be to differ because the stats are the proof.

Let's play a game...

Name 3 HCs that have coached for 15 years or more with no SBs or playoff appearances (or wins) AND they've only coached one team.

Ready, set, go!!!
#1 he leads the shitshow. He wasn't stiffed with the Aaron Rogers circus. Anything that happens on this roster. Good and bad is Mike Tomlin.
#2 The and only coached one team IS the problem. I don't think Tomlin is a horrible coach. I really do not. I think he keeps winning 17-14 games and does nothing to risk really bad seasons but make the team a real contender. So they will win 9 or 10 games this year be just outside or just inside the playoffs. If they are a wildcard team they will get their *** handed to them and we will all be back here next training camp with great hope until they play their first game or two. FACT.

Dude, Cowher's wife was dying of cancer so he quit to be with her.

Your moral is off because your facts are misaligned with the reality. Your narrative works for you because you leave out key parts

Add in the head through windshield and appendectomy, to your star HOF QB.

Salute the nation