• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why Mike Tomlin is a Hall of Fame Coach

****** A millennials. Cower lost to Stan ******* Humphries with the best team in football that year. Both San Diego and JAX had excellent defenses.

You don't play games in a phone booth, or on a console, you play them on a field against another team trying to win.
Don’t know what the **** Cowher or Humphries had to do with that loss to the Bortles led Jaguars.

That excellent defense of Jacksonville gave up 42. What had to do with the loss was an incredibley underperforming defense,the Dline of Hargrove,Heward& Tuit were ****. Along with our secondary play of Haden,Burns,Mitchell & Davis.
No Defensive Adjustments whatsoever. Oh yeah, a sack fumble on Ben returned for a 50 yard td,and a int on the Pitt 18 that led to an instant TD didn’t help.

The TEAM Secured the #1seed even while the defensive QB lay in the hospital and the TEAM lost to Jacksonville and Tomlin didn't throw a single interception in that game. Individual players and plays turn the game. Can't just say "he lost to Bortles"- not fair or accurate

Last edited:
Don’t know what the **** Cowher or Humphries had to do with that loss to the Bortles led Jaguars.

That excellent defense of Jacksonville gave up 42. What had to do with the loss was an incredibley underperforming defense,the Dline of Hargrove,Heward& Tuit were ****. Along with our secondary play of Haden,Burns,Mitchell & Davis.
No Defensive Adjustments whatsoever. Oh yeah, a sack fumble on Ben returned for a 50 yard td,and a int on the Pitt 18 that led to an instant TD didn’t help.
The whole point of the thread is Tomlin to the HOF. Cower had his losses too and he's in the HOF. Cower losing that game is direct rebuttal to those claiming Tomlin doesn't deserve to go for losses like the one to the Jags.

Interesting that you were triggered and only fixated on part of my reply. Not surprising...

the
Stupid Social Media Post

While I think CMT is a lock for the HOF,I can’t imagine any Steelers fan that hasn’t been riddled with major,major disappointment during Mike’s tenure.
I must say the above literary tract is a supremely biased narrative.

If this format was used to describe the Allied events of WWII, it would depict the Allies losing.

I see that you copied nearly word-for-word what Bill Washinski said in his August 3rd article about Cowher. You conveniently omitted the rest.

"When Noll retired, he told his wife that the Steelers were a Super Bowl team, but he was no longer the man to guide them. But when Bill Cowher said he saw “no apparent weaknesses” entering the 1992 season, few took him seriously. He proved the doubters wrong as he led the Steelers to an 11-5 record, securing the AFC Central Division and the #1 seed in the AFC.

To say there were no challenges would not be the same thing. Noll was disengaged in his final years, and it was felt throughout the team. The offense and defense had a divide that continued to grow. Offensive players were so frustrated with Joe Walton that only a last-minute interference by Noll prevented the offense from boycotting the coordinator. The players were not united and were going their own way."

Maybe Noll and Cowher believed it, but they were about it. A huge team divide and coming off of a 7-9 record...yeah, sure, sounds like Super Bowl material.

By the way, the Steelers didn't even win a single playoff game that year. They got spanked 24-3 at home in the first round. You forgot that part, too.
i am stunned that FSF directly plagiarized Bill Washinski. 😎

The whole point of the thread is Tomlin to the HOF. Cower had his losses too and he's in the HOF. Cower losing that game is direct rebuttal to those claiming Tomlin doesn't deserve to go for losses like the one to the Jags.
Yep. While lack of Steeler SBs over the past decade has been supremely disappointing to all here, the NFL provides tough competition, and a guy named Brady that has been dominant in the SBs for Tomlins HC career. If Sean Payton is HoF, then Tomlin is easily.

the
Stupid Social Media Post

While I think CMT is a lock for the HOF,I can’t imagine any Steelers fan that hasn’t been riddled with major,major disappointment during Mike’s tenure.
That's really a great breakdown that captures all of the suck. And he managed to do it with a HOF QB.

Look, one major thing that Cowher had going for him that Tomlin really does not is that the nfl changed the format for rookie contracts … under Cowher the Steelers draft and develop plan was far more rewarding… the first contract would be up early, and the player would be potentially restricted. This allowed them to give them a reasonable contract and retain guys they needed… it also meant they could develop a future starter without having to commit to starter type money early….

its a much bigger deal than people think….

look I’m not the biggest Tomlin fan or hater …. He did take over a great team, but he also had to deal with the nfl assaulting defensive football, screwing with those contract structures, and the increase in spoiled self centric players that modern society has produced the last couple generations…

its not like he has had a level playing field with the previous two hof coaches

Bill's a pretty easy target,............ It's that FSF dude you need to keep an eye on.......................................

Salute the nation

Look, one major thing that Cowher had going for him that Tomlin really does not is that the nfl changed the format for rookie contracts … under Cowher the Steelers draft and develop plan was far more rewarding… the first contract would be up early, and the player would be potentially restricted. This allowed them to give them a reasonable contract and retain guys they needed… it also meant they could develop a future starter without having to commit to starter type money early….

its a much bigger deal than people think….

look I’m not the biggest Tomlin fan or hater …. He did take over a great team, but he also had to deal with the nfl assaulting defensive football, screwing with those contract structures, and the increase in spoiled self centric players that modern society has produced the last couple generations…

its not like he has had a level playing field with the previous two hof coaches
First of all , I am not a Tomlin hater. I think he will be a HOF inductee. Maybe not first ballet, depending on how he does in the future. I have defended him numerous times, given him the benefit of the old doubt. I think he has always brought class to a first rate organization.

Unfortunately for him he will always have that..... he won with Cowher’s players. Of course to some extent it’s true. Just as Bill had Chuck’s players. And after Mike is gone the same thing will ring true.

When you say he hasn’t had a level field with the other Two coaches..... of course true. But level field with the other 31 coaches he has had.

I believe there comes a time when coaches become a little stagnant. It happened with Chuck And Bill as well. It’s not all on Mike. The players have definitely underperformed in the playoffs.

Coaches get too much credit and too much heat.
For me the first major clink in the armour moment was the Teebow disaster. Not changing the defensive scheme after it clearly was not working. Maybe too much respect for Dick? I dunno. But his stubbornness to change things up has let him down on numerous occasions.

I thought his best coaching was the Mason,Duck year. But when he continued the same quick hit dink and dunk with Ben. After initial success I couldn’t believe the teams weren’t sitting on that **** after week 3. When they finally did we all saw what happened. The buck stops at the HC. He signed off on Randy’s offence.

8-8 in the playoffs. Won playoff games in 4 of his 14 years. Let’s hope he makes me eat crow and takes our Steelers to the promised land.

First of all , I am not a Tomlin hater. I think he will be a HOF inductee. Maybe not first ballet, depending on how he does in the future. I have defended him numerous times, given him the benefit of the old doubt. I think he has always brought class to a first rate organization.

Unfortunately for him he will always have that..... he won with Cowher’s players. Of course to some extent it’s true. Just as Bill had Chuck’s players. And after Mike is gone the same thing will ring true.

When you say he hasn’t had a level field with the other Two coaches..... of course true. But level field with the other 31 coaches he has had.

I believe there comes a time when coaches become a little stagnant. It happened with Chuck And Bill as well. It’s not all on Mike. The players have definitely underperformed in the playoffs.

For me the first major clink in the armour moment was the Teebow disaster. Not changing the defensive scheme after it clearly was not working. Maybe too much respect for Dick? I dunno. But his stubbornness to change things up has let him down on numerous occasions.

I thought his best coaching was the Mason,Duck year. But when he continued the same quick hit dink and dunk with Ben. After initial success I couldn’t believe the teams weren’t sitting on that **** after week 3. When they finally did we all saw what happened. The buck stops at the HC. He signed off on Randy’s offence.

8-8 in the playoffs. Won playoff games in 4 of his 14 years. Let’s hope he makes me eat crow and takes our Steelers to the promised land.
Oh I totally agree on stagnation… but the reality is in a 32 team league a fanbase shouldn’t expect to win more than once every 32 years… its very difficult so that super bowl win is magnified… couple that with long term winning in the regular season and you have a hall of fame resume in this age

The other reality is that coaches usually win in the first few years they are with the team so the other coaches players argument, while logically valid, tends to fall on deaf ears around the league… because thats how most coaches win…

Has anyone see the two of them in a room at the same time? We need to get to to bottom of this pronto.

Could have easily been two playoff wins except the Bungles self-destructed in the last three minutes of that win. HCMCS three playoff wins gets a * from me because one of those wins was a gift.
I agree.
I call Bullshit on that one.

Steelers were in firm control, Bengals were getting shut out into the 4th qtr and game was in hand - with no RB threat (both Bell & Williams hurt) until Ben got injured.

Then it took a bailout PI call for a Bengals TD and only then did Bengals show any life. We had 0 offense in 4th qtr. They were only in the game again due to injuries to Steelers.

The next week, it took a fumble from a 3rd string RB to lose to eventual champion Denver—a team that the Steelers torched with comeback win in regular season.

Context is king.
I call bullshit on your bullshit call, because the Steelers lost that particular game to a rookie quarterback named AJ McCarron, a career backup who has gone on to start one NFL game in the last 5 seasons...which he lost, of course.

Tomlin's other two playoff wins came the following year against starting QBs Matt Moore and Alex Smith, right before the Steelers were destroyed by Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Context is king.

What would be the %percentage% that Bill and FSF are the same person ?

They print the same languge and both are members of this message board..............................

EDIT: BizZarO World

Salute the nation
I would have to say that the chances of Bill Cowher and FSF being the same person are exactly zero. But you should check with mdk2 first...he's the percentages expert.

As far as him the being the other Bill (Washinski), I guess it's possible.

Right after 73. My bad.

Shula had 4 consecutive non winning seasons with Marino in 86-89. Had 5 of 6 years without a winning record. ALL with Marino in his PRIME. Plus there is this caveat, Shula only dealt with Free Agency for 3 years. Bill said it perfectly. Context is King. Who is the comparable coach to compare to?
Well, that's not true either, because Shula technically was 8-7 in 1987. But I understand your argument. My point is, their careers are nothing alike, except for their perceived failures with franchise quarterbacks. Shula didn't inherit a Super Bowl-caliber team in Miami; they were 3-10-1 in 1969. By 1971, he took them to the Super Bowl. Then they won the next two.

The comparable head coach to Tomlin is Sean Payton. Their careers are remarkably similar, except that Payton inherited a ****** 3-13 team and won the Super Bowl in year 4.

So I guess that's true, then. I'm sorry that I don't know the usernames of people who write content for this site. My bad.

Doesn't excuse the guy from cherry-picking from his own article, does it?

Has anyone see the two of them in a room at the same time? We need to get to to bottom of this pronto.
Must be so cool to be in the club with you all.

Exactly. Cowher got in with his record so HCMCS will get in with a very similar record if he retires soon. That said, I think Cowher was marginal to get into the HOF but he's had the advantage of being on TV every Sunday for 15 years. IMO Cowher was a very good coach but not a great coach.

Well, that's not true either, because Shula technically was 8-7 in 1987. But I understand your argument. My point is, their careers are nothing alike, except for their perceived failures with franchise quarterbacks. Shula didn't inherit a Super Bowl-caliber team in Miami; they were 3-10-1 in 1969. By 1971, he took them to the Super Bowl. Then they won the next two.

The comparable head coach to Tomlin is Sean Payton. Their careers are remarkably similar, except that Payton inherited a ****** 3-13 team and won the Super Bowl in year 4.
This is the thing, the narrative “inherited” players we’re the reason for success. That is such a subjective conclusion. If Tomlin inherited such awesome players that he didn’t have to coach to win, why did those same players end with a .500 record the year before? Coaches coach, players play. On the field, players decide outcome by execution. Off the field it’s the coaches job to provide a game plan and prepare players to be in the best position to execute the game plan. In game adjustments also are preeminently a factor, by both players and coaches. There is some merit to Tomlin staff’s deficiency with in game adjustments. No disagreement there. However, all coaches have their hills and valleys when it comes to adjustments. Typically though it’s the players who decide the outcome regardless.

Payton is comparable to some extent, W/L in both season and playoffs. Brees was gifted to him by Spanos and AJ Smith’s Idiocy. However, Payton will have to wait a lot longer for any HOF consideration after being suspended for a year due to Bounty Gate. Which in itself, is another joke at Goodell’s track record of disciplinary incompetence. Belichick himself should have been suspended at least twice, yet he’s a first ballot.

So I guess that's true, then. I'm sorry that I don't know the usernames of people who write content for this site. My bad.

Doesn't excuse the guy from cherry-picking from his own article, does it?
Chill, dude.
Maybe it's OK to have a little fun with yourself.

Who wouldn't use their own work on any relevant topic, especially when he has directly commented previously? I mean, he thought about this years ago, wrote about it months ago and you are a bit sore in the tushy because the thoughts and ideas are new to you?

Wewax, Wodewick.

I am in agreement with them the majority of your post. However, definitely disagree with the Tebow game. Tebow’s pass to win was the on the first play of OT. Too much respect for LeBeau? The game never should have made it OT. Ben was getting killed by BA’s play calling. I think he was sacked at least 4-5 times. It killed at least two scoring drives. The defense was doing their job keeping the game close. The offense didn’t do their part. Ben was planted so much under BA’s spread scheme, that’s why the emphasis was changed to protect Ben, and bringing in Haley.

This is the thing, the narrative “inherited” players we’re the reason for success. That is such a subjective conclusion. If Tomlin inherited such awesome players that he didn’t have to coach to win, why did those same players end with a .500 record the year before?
Roethlisberger faceplanting into a windshield of a car and having his appendix removed less than a week before the season started had a lot to do with it.