• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

WR coach out, who you gonna call, Hines Ward

Near the end of his career local sportswriters were saying that Hines was essentially the assistant WR coach, running the room and diagraming plays for the younger guys. I was never big on hiring former Steelers as coaches simply because they are former Steelers but I’d hire him in a heartbeat. A two-time SB winner and MVP might have a way of tamping down the egos of our younger WR’s. That’s if Shades’ ego can handle it.

Near the end of his career local sportswriters were saying that Hines was essentially the assistant WR coach, running the room and diagraming plays for the younger guys. I was never big on hiring former Steelers as coaches simply because they are former Steelers but I’d hire him in a heartbeat. A two-time SB winner and MVP might have a way of tamping down the egos of our younger WR’s. That’s if Shades’ ego can handle it.
I am also not one to favor former Steeler players as coaches just because they are former players. But Hines seems right for this job for the reasons you say. But Tomlin's fragile psyche may not be able to handle it as you say.

Antwaan Randle El is the guy I’d also like to think about in the future. Current WR coach in Detroit. I think he is slowly but surely making his way up the coaching ladder. Doesn’t hurt that Detroit’s passing game is doing very well.

I would absolutely love Hines as our WR Coach.
So I read recently that the Steelers and Hines almost came together back in 2017 but Hines wanted to have final say so in the WR room. Meaning he wanted to make the WRs accountable but guess who threw the screws to it?
******* AB that’s who! He was not having it and went to Tomlin.
Aditi Kinkawabala (spelling) had a story on it and reported this.
She said that AB already had his own rules and was having no part of having to be accountable under Hines.
Of course as always there was one constant in all of this. Tomlin!

Seems like no Brainer but so would bringing back the only coach who ever coached a position group up under Tomlin. But that doesn't appear to be happening either.

A two-time SB winner and MVP might have a way of tamping down the egos of our younger WR’s. That’s if Shades’ ego can handle it.
Per Tomlin in Nov 2023 on ward possibly getting in to Canton:

Tomlin referenced the way Ward’s physicality changed the NFL rulebook. The so-called Hines Ward Rule was put into effect to take his vicious blindside blocks out of the game.

“Hines was a football player first and a receiver second and I used to say that to describe him all the time, just because of the ridiculous consistency of his toughness: in the passing game, the running game, running the football after the catch, blocking, he is well-deserving of consideration and I hope it happens for him this time.”

Is this the 3rd young coach to willingly leave tomlins prestigious coaching staff this year? I believe it is.

Ward was basically a coach while he was in Pittsburgh. I do like him from the technical aspect of coaching, however, I wouldn't mind seeing a potential future OC on staff and that could also come from the WR coach position. Hire a veteran and a younger coach to lead the WR room.

Ward was basically a coach while he was in Pittsburgh. I do like him from the technical aspect of coaching, however, I wouldn't mind seeing a potential future OC on staff and that could also come from the WR coach position. Hire a veteran and a younger coach to lead the WR room.
Hoping it isn't the Jet's WR coach who interviewed....

Antwaan Randle El enters his third season with the Lions as wide receivers coach in 2023. He joined the Lions in 2021 after spending two seasons (2019-20) as an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, helping the team capture Super Bowl LV.
In 2022, Randle El oversaw a prolific wide receiver corps that finished top 10 in receptions (383), receiving yards (4,444), receiving first downs (228), receiving touchdowns (29), receptions of over 25 yards (35) and yards after catch (2,217). Under Randle El's direction, the Lions were one of five teams to have six players record over 350 receiving yards.
Since arriving in Detroit, Randle El has played a critical role in the breakout of Lions 2021 fourth-round draft selection WR Amon-Ra St. Brown. As a second-year pro in 2022, St. Brown earned a Pro Bowl berth as he tied the NFL record for most receptions (196) within a player's two-career seasons.
Randle El developed St. Brown into an impact player as only a rookie. He finished 2021 with 90 receptions for 912 yards (10.1 avg), both the most for a rookie in Lions history. His 90 catches finished the season for the second-most in the NFL, while he finished fifth amongst rookie in receiving yards. In only his first NFL season, St. Brown had six-straight games with at least eight receptions, the longest streak in team history and the longest for a rookie in NFL history.
During Randle El's tenure in Tampa, Tampa's offense ranked first in passing yards (9,471) and passing touchdowns (75), second in points scored (950), and third in total offense (12,511).
Working primarily with Tampa Bay's wide receivers, he helped WR Mike Evans post consecutive 1,000-yard seasons and guided WR Chris Godwin (1,333) to his first 1,000-yard campaign in 2019. Evans ranked third in the NFL with 21 receiving touchdowns over the 2019-20 seasons and in that same span, Buccaneers wide receivers produced 55 receiving touchdowns, the most by any team's wide receiver corps.

Is this the 3rd young coach to willingly leave tomlins prestigious coaching staff this year? I believe it is.
Didnt they decide not to sign him?

This may well be a decision based on feedback from the new OC.

I like the Ward idea but, why isn't he coach somewhere already? He has been in coaching and was even a head coach last year in one of the spring leagues. They chose not to bring him back as a coach on one of the merged teams. Maybe he isn't as good at coaching as he was playing or maybe just bad luck.

I would absolutely love Hines as our WR Coach.
So I read recently that the Steelers and Hines almost came together back in 2017 but Hines wanted to have final say so in the WR room. Meaning he wanted to make the WRs accountable but guess who threw the screws to it?
******* AB that’s who! He was not having it and went to Tomlin.
Aditi Kinkawabala (spelling) had a story on it and reported this.
She said that AB already had his own rules and was having no part of having to be accountable under Hines.
Of course as always there was one constant in all of this. Tomlin!
This is what I read also.

EXCUSE ME ????

Willingly——- leave as in fired. The ONLY thing he had control over wether or not if the door was going to hit him in the azZ on the way out.

Salute the nation

Won't happen. Who was the last Steeler player to make a name for themselves as a coach under Coach T? Heck what coach progressed to greatness after serving under Coach T? Not sure The Bruce counts, but I'll give him 1. Maybe a quarter...

He sucks from a player advancement prospective, even worse when it comes to coaches.

I like the Ward idea but, why isn't he coach somewhere already? He has been in coaching and was even a head coach last year in one of the spring leagues. They chose not to bring him back as a coach on one of the merged teams. Maybe he isn't as good at coaching as he was playing or maybe just bad luck.
That's the sense that I get. It may not even be the on-field coaching, but maybe the day-to-day during the week. Either way, a veteran to command the room and a young innovative mind would be pretty cool to have on the staff. Christopher Carter had some interesting names that he threw out there. You're getting something different from each, but I like his line of thinking here.

Maybe there already is a wink and nod agreement with steelers.

I think Hines would be a good fit, but I don't think it will happen.
I dunno. Every workday I have an authenticator number given to me to sign on. Today it was number 86. Ok girl just had talked about Hines before I went to work.
A very odd can only mean one thing, he is coming aboard.

😁

Per Tomlin in Nov 2023 on ward possibly getting in to Canton:

Tomlin referenced the way Ward’s physicality changed the NFL rulebook. The so-called Hines Ward Rule was put into effect to take his vicious blindside blocks out of the game.

“Hines was a football player first and a receiver second and I used to say that to describe him all the time, just because of the ridiculous consistency of his toughness: in the passing game, the running game, running the football after the catch, blocking, he is well-deserving of consideration and I hope it happens for him this time.”
Yup, and Shades has an ego that is big but fragile and may not be able to handle an assistant coach more popular than he is.

Yup, and Shades has an ego that is big but fragile and may not be able to handle an assistant coach more popular than he is.

I really hope that's not he's about. That's not leadership. You surround yourself with the best in order to succeed. Anything less is doing a disservice to the team.

It's not a popularity contest. It should be about formulating a championship culture with a sole purpose of being the best.

I don't think I'm ever going to see that again.

Hines actually worked almost exclusively with JuJu as a rookie, I remember seeing Ward at training camp constantly pulling JuJu aside after drills. I think Ward was working a coaching intern or whatever they call that where ex players come in to try coaching.