• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Your Judgement, NFL Marketing division on Social Justice

Ever go into work and get pissed off about something? Say maybe the boss's kid ***** something up and you have more work to do now because of it. In that situation, most folks keep their mouths shut until they get home because they don't want to lose their job. it's kinda like that. Black folks, a majority of us, have learned to just not talk about certain things in front of White folks because the response is usually something along the line of "I have plenty of Black friends who aren't angry", 'You're playing the race card", "Go back to Africa" (A personal favorite of mine, since I've never BEEN to Africa). But understand, we do talk, joke about and express our feelings about social issues amongst ourselves quite frequently.

As far as "Culture" goes. It amazes me that folks are proud of their Italian-American heritage/culture, Polish-American heritage/culture, Albanian-American heritage/culture, etc., yet when Blacks talk about their culture, it's "Your culture is American culture. Same as mine." Sure, there is a general American culture. But, amongst that culture there are sub-cultures based on ethnicity, race, heritage, etc. And Black culture has contributed greatly to the overall "American" culture.

Personally, I don't think much of **** will change because the top 1-2%, the richest of the rich have us right where they want us. Fighting among ourselves like mice in the cupboard while they get the best of the best. I'm not a supporter of 45, but, I do realize that the division in this country was sowed well before he took office and fostered by EVERY administration during my lifetime. The goal? Keep folks divided based on race, income, living conditions, etc. so they don't start to look around and notice the inequality based on wealth that is happening around them.

There's more, but I've said enough, more than I started out to say and probably too much for some of y'all. In the end, I come to this board for football related discussion. Steelers related discussion. Jokes. Fun. And to relax among folks who are like-minded in their obsession over our Steelers.

So, wait, because you're black, you feel like you can speak for every other African-American in this country, and assure me that most of them are angry (just like you) but they would never tell me about it because I happen to be a white guy? Bullshit.

Talk about racist.

So, wait, because you're black, you feel like you can speak for every other African-American in this country, and assure me that most of them are angry (just like you) but they would never tell me about it because I happen to be a white guy? Bullshit.

Talk about racist.

Reading is fundamental. I didn't say any such thing. I said that there are certain topics that a majority of Black folks have learned to avoid discussing in front of White folks. And I stand by that. Interesting that you would think that I'm an angry Black man because I don't agree with your position. Also, interesting that you, a White person (I assume a male, but who knows, seems like your vajayjay is bruised a lot) would attempt to tell me how Black folks feel based on your observations of Black folks you work with. But whatever, believe what you want. What you believe means about as much to me as ....well, nothing.

IMO, the NFL has been trying to get in front of the genie they let out of the bottle. With how they allowed Colin Kaepernick to protest, they merely allowed this to fester. If you look at what CK did - and remove his profession from it - it was disrespectful, but was also passive. He wore socks with pigs as cops. Passive aggressive, IMO. But he did that during practices, where the rules are less strict (I believe, as I don't care enough to look up the NFL's rules on dress code for team practices).

Now, if you include his then profession, he sat during the national anthem. Many athletes have done this previously. He started getting the spotlight on himself. When he did that, he started wearing his pro Che and Fidel Castro t-shirts. Which showed his profound hypocrisy to his own protest.

Now, IMO, had he simply said "I'm kneeling because of my belief that the people who gave me the right to stand for the anthem have not had their sacrifices made whole due to the treatment of the black community by police" he might have had stirred less division and garnered more empathy. Yet he was abrasive in how he went about it. Yes, a veteran suggested he kneel instead of sitting. And, yes, it was/is CK's right to not stand due to the very people he was disrespecting by kneeling/sitting.

By doing what he did, in the way he did, he pushed a lot of people away. This started a small pebble rolling downhill that has resulted in an avalanche. It has caused a divide in not only NFL locker rooms (see Drew Brees and the Aints), but also in the NFL fans. Which is why we have this topic in this forum being commented on.

The rise of the purely political group of Black Lives Matter serves zero purpose. Of course black lives matter. If black lives didnt matter, would we have grown white men wearing jerseys with the names of black men on them? wouldnt we have the KKK larger than ever before? wouldnt there be segregated places? well, see, Black Lives Matter is pushing for just that. The organization wants separate - but equal - facilites and places for black people. Places where white people are not allowed. Or, if they are allowed, where the white people must be subservient.

As stated before, the politicians are all trying to keep us divided. BLM is a tool for keeping that division going. Look at the blm website's area where they seek donations. Follow that to see who's getting the funds.

Back to the NFL - the NFL played the "black national anthem" in Week 1. I've been alive for 50 years and have never heard of a black national anthem. that doesnt mean it never existed, but therein lies the rub. we have a national anthem. that is to include everyone. yes, there are some parts of that song that were considered racist, but we, as a whole, do not recognize those verses. We focus on the main point of being united together for a cause, as one people. Playing the "black national anthem" means we can/should also expect the NFL to play the "asian national anthem", the "white national anthem", the "brown national anthem" (but NOT the green national anthem. **** Ogre).

that the NFL then allowed players to put the names of people killed by police on the back of their helmets was also symbolic. Empty, but symbolic. Breonna Taylor, depending on which report you read, opened fire first. She was killed by the police, yes, but there are also extenuating circumstances that led to her demise. George Floyd - shouldn't have had a knee on the back of his neck for that long. No one will say otherwise. Antwon Rose Jr - killed after committing a drive-by where he tried unsuccessfully to kill someone else. Who are we to champion of those three? Well, we already addressed Floyd. Taylor's death has different viewpoints and Rose was killed after trying to kill someone else. Oh, why not include David Dorn on the back of a helmet? that was done by Tyler Eifert. Imagine that. A white NFL player (a minority in the NFL, btw) had the name of a black man killed during protests and riots on the back of his helmet. Yet the MSM didn't pick up on that and run it 24/7. Why? because it shows that black lives DO matter.

Some well thought out and well stated points Supe. I appreciate the lack of anger, vitriol and political bullshit that makes your viewpoint clear and understandable.

I even see some points that I agree with.

IMO, the NFL has been trying to get in front of the genie they let out of the bottle. With how they allowed Colin Kaepernick to protest, they merely allowed this to fester. If you look at what CK did - and remove his profession from it - it was disrespectful, but was also passive. He wore socks with pigs as cops. Passive aggressive, IMO. But he did that during practices, where the rules are less strict (I believe, as I don't care enough to look up the NFL's rules on dress code for team practices).

Now, if you include his then profession, he sat during the national anthem. Many athletes have done this previously. He started getting the spotlight on himself. When he did that, he started wearing his pro Che and Fidel Castro t-shirts. Which showed his profound hypocrisy to his own protest.

Now, IMO, had he simply said "I'm kneeling because of my belief that the people who gave me the right to stand for the anthem have not had their sacrifices made whole due to the treatment of the black community by police" he might have had stirred less division and garnered more empathy. Yet he was abrasive in how he went about it. Yes, a veteran suggested he kneel instead of sitting. And, yes, it was/is CK's right to not stand due to the very people he was disrespecting by kneeling/sitting.

By doing what he did, in the way he did, he pushed a lot of people away. This started a small pebble rolling downhill that has resulted in an avalanche. It has caused a divide in not only NFL locker rooms (see Drew Brees and the Aints), but also in the NFL fans. Which is why we have this topic in this forum being commented on.

The rise of the purely political group of Black Lives Matter serves zero purpose. Of course black lives matter. If black lives didnt matter, would we have grown white men wearing jerseys with the names of black men on them? wouldnt we have the KKK larger than ever before? wouldnt there be segregated places? well, see, Black Lives Matter is pushing for just that. The organization wants separate - but equal - facilites and places for black people. Places where white people are not allowed. Or, if they are allowed, where the white people must be subservient.

As stated before, the politicians are all trying to keep us divided. BLM is a tool for keeping that division going. Look at the blm website's area where they seek donations. Follow that to see who's getting the funds.

Back to the NFL - the NFL played the "black national anthem" in Week 1. I've been alive for 50 years and have never heard of a black national anthem. that doesnt mean it never existed, but therein lies the rub. we have a national anthem. that is to include everyone. yes, there are some parts of that song that were considered racist, but we, as a whole, do not recognize those verses. We focus on the main point of being united together for a cause, as one people. Playing the "black national anthem" means we can/should also expect the NFL to play the "asian national anthem", the "white national anthem", the "brown national anthem" (but NOT the green national anthem. **** Ogre).

that the NFL then allowed players to put the names of people killed by police on the back of their helmets was also symbolic. Empty, but symbolic. Breonna Taylor, depending on which report you read, opened fire first. She was killed by the police, yes, but there are also extenuating circumstances that led to her demise. George Floyd - shouldn't have had a knee on the back of his neck for that long. No one will say otherwise. Antwon Rose Jr - killed after committing a drive-by where he tried unsuccessfully to kill someone else. Who are we to champion of those three? Well, we already addressed Floyd. Taylor's death has different viewpoints and Rose was killed after trying to kill someone else. Oh, why not include David Dorn on the back of a helmet? that was done by Tyler Eifert. Imagine that. A white NFL player (a minority in the NFL, btw) had the name of a black man killed during protests and riots on the back of his helmet. Yet the MSM didn't pick up on that and run it 24/7. Why? because it shows that black lives DO matter.

Great post Superman !!!!

The NFL chose to play the separate two national anthems. Now they have combated that with NO televised national anthems of any race and/or the actual USA national anthem. The NFL Marketing division has found a way to make things a non-visual / verbal issue. They have all camera / game announcers / ect. NOT promote much of the topic on air. minimized it and it's affect on the GREED MACHINE. We will see what the ratings are like around the middle of the season but this 1st 1/4season they were down initially but are bumpy riding up.

Salute the nation

Treat people how you want to be treated, with dignity and respect. You'll be amazed at how you'll be treated in return.

what about Ogres?

I'm confused...

Stop making it an exclusive moment, and remember the lives of convicts who break laws and hurt others don't seem to resonate as good poster boys for the movement.

Also, I think the people, in general, need to say enough is enough, and arrest laws should be changed.

Still, confused?

Stop making it an exclusive moment, and remember the lives of convicts who break laws and hurt others don't seem to resonate as good poster boys for the movement.

Also, I think the people, in general, need to say enough is enough, and arrest laws should be changed.

Still, confused?
Which,arrest,laws,would.you,change?

Still, confused?

Also, which movement is exclusive? Agree with them or not, I've seen plenty of different races represented in the protest crowds.
Moreover, are you implying that the lives of convicts are somehow worth less than others? If so, I guess you're saying All Lives Matter .... Just some not as much as others.

Reading is fundamental. I didn't say any such thing. I said that there are certain topics that a majority of Black folks have learned to avoid discussing in front of White folks. And I stand by that. Interesting that you would think that I'm an angry Black man because I don't agree with your position. Also, interesting that you, a White person (I assume a male, but who knows, seems like your vajayjay is bruised a lot) would attempt to tell me how Black folks feel based on your observations of Black folks you work with. But whatever, believe what you want. What you believe means about as much to me as ....well, nothing.

I can read without any problems, thanks. And what you wrote quoted what I mentioned earlier, nearly verbatim. Yes, I have known plenty of black guys (co-workers, fellow soldiers, and good friends) who aren't angry about anything, ************...you don't know them, and you don't know me. In fact, you don't know jack **** about my relationships with them, or what they'd be willing to share with me. So don't speak for us. Feel free to continue to categorize what should or shouldn't be discussed by black people in front of white people...but just because that's the small-minded way you choose to look at the world, don't try and tell me what the "majority" thinks.

For such a fundamentally sound reader, and somebody who supposedly has learned "to just not talk about certain things in front of White folks," you surely seem to have failed that lesson.

Last edited:
I can read without any problems, thanks. And what you wrote quoted what I mentioned earlier, nearly verbatim. Yes, I have known plenty of black guys (co-workers, fellow soldiers, and good friends) who aren't angry about anything, ************...you don't know them, and you don't know me. In fact, you don't know jack **** about my relationships with them, or what they'd be willing to share with me. So don't speak for us. Feel free to continue to categorize what should or shouldn't be discussed by black people in front of white people...but just because that's the small-minded way you choose to look at the world, don't try and tell me what the "majority" thinks.

For such a fundamentally sound reader, and somebody who supposedly has learned "to just not talk about certain things in front of White folks," you surely seem to have failed that lesson.

WOW .... Such an angry little person you are.

But, please, do tell me more about your experiences as a Black man and what is or is not discussed between Black people when White folks are around. Doesn't take a PhD to understand that if folks aren't going to discuss a topic in your presence, they aren't going to tell you what topic(s) those would be. However, if you feel that all the Black folks you know will talk about anything and everything with you in the same manner they talk to other Black folks, good for you. Feeling something and knowing it are two different things.

In any event, since you say you comprehend what you read, maybe you missed the part where I stated that I stand by what I wrote.
Maybe it just offends your pride that all the Black folks you say you interact with won't tell you everything they share amongst themselves or won't discuss it with you in the same open manner they do with other Blacks. Hell, I really don't care what your problem is. You just come off as a sad, angry little manling.

OH! And since you imply that I purposefully responded to one of your posts, let me remind you that the post you reference was a response to my post. Thank you for letting me live in your head. There's a lot of room there and the rent, being free makes it that much more appealing.

Last edited:
Maybe it is time we let this thread die. We don't need good posters going at each other. A sensitive subject that I thought long and hard about which I will be personally backing off from. Perhaps remember how much the media and some politicians want diversity, don't fall into their trap. We are all one under God, no outside force will sway me in forgetting that. Now you two hug it out and let's focus in on kicking some clown ***.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Did you not read my post? This is a serious thread, so I'll reply. If man is down, handcuffed, and neutralized, its hands off after 10 seconds pass. Anyone hitting/kicking a suspect in this phase of the arrest process after 10 seconds pass faces assault charges. Bar chokeholds pressure on the neck. Bar piling onto a person on the ground. If a person says, they can't breathe, STOP and get off. Of course, this is after a search to make sure the suspect has no weapons.

If the suspect is resting arrests, call for re-enforcement, get four guys and throw him in the back of truck, simply add that to the charges. I'd also like to see the resisting arrest charge legally strengthened.

It could help is the process of being arrested is part of driver's ed and getting your license reinstated.

While not perfect, I do believe the above, if implemented, could save lives and diminish police brutality.

WOW .... Such an angry little person you are.

But, please, do tell me more about your experiences as a Black man and what is or is not discussed between Black people when White folks are around. Doesn't take a PhD to understand that if folks aren't going to discuss a topic in your presence, they aren't going to tell you what topic(s) those would be. However, if you feel that all the Black folks you know will talk about anything and everything with you in the same manner they talk to other Black folks, good for you. Feeling something and knowing it are two different things.

In any event, since you say you comprehend what you read, maybe you missed the part where I stated that I stand by what I wrote.
Maybe it just offends your pride that all the Black folks you say you interact with won't tell you everything they share amongst themselves or won't discuss it with you in the same open manner they do with other Blacks. Hell, I really don't care what your problem is. You just come off as a sad, angry little manling.

OH! And since you imply that I purposefully responded to one of your posts, let me remind you that the post you reference was a response to my post. Thank you for letting me live in your head. There's a lot of room there and the rent, being free makes it that much more appealing.

This all makes perfect sense to me. My brother-in-law is a Black man and I have 3 beautiful nieces as a result, but I know for a fact, and we're close, that he doesn't talk to me about everything he talks to other Black men about. And that is perfectly okay with me. I understand that we both come from different cultures and I really respect that. On the flipside, as a White guy, I've had conversations with other White guys that I wouldn't say around Black folks. Now please don't misunderstand that statement as me hiding some racist agenda, its just that some conversations are really uncomfortable and sometimes you have feelings about things and want to know if its only you. So you ask people that look like you if they feel the same way. Or if they have experienced the same things. Most recently these conversations have revolved around White Fragility, which by the way, my brother-in-law thinks is completely ridiculous and makes him very nervous. I mean the whole idea that you're born a racist because of the color of your skin is completely insane in my opinion. And is the exact definition of being a racist. Think about that for a second. If I, a White guy, were to say that all Black babies are born criminals, what would that say about me? That is a reprehensible statement for anyone to make. What if a Black man said the same thing? Still reprehensible and to be honest I would think it projects that identity on that group of people. And if some are weak enough to buy into it, accept the fact that they were born that way and embrace it, then boom another criminal is on the streets or another racist is on the streets when in reality they were neither until someone convinced them that's what they are.

So yeah, I completely agree with you that Black men probably don't say everything they would say around other black men in front of a white man. I'm okay with that and not even in the slightest bit offended.

Last edited:
Steeler Nation....

don't fall into the trap.

No doubt,......... LETs turn this thing BACK TO FOOTBALL or close the thread. As much as this discussion has discussed we are on the brink of not football related at all. Maybe it should be moved to politics and religion.

I know at about the midway point of the season I'd like to look at the TV ratings to see what they are showing in relations to viewership of the NFL. I'm thinking by that time they will be back to the normal up and down but slightly down overall.

Keep the STEELERS faith and bring on the clowns so we can flush them down.

Salute the nation

No doubt,......... LETs turn this thing BACK TO FOOTBALL or close the thread. As much as this discussion has discussed we are on the brink of not football related at all. Maybe it should be moved to politics and religion.

I know at about the midway point of the season I'd like to look at the TV ratings to see what they are showing in relations to viewership of the NFL. I'm thinking by that time they will be back to the normal up and down but slightly down overall.

Keep the STEELERS faith and bring on the clowns so we can flush them down.

Salute the nation

I agree with you, but for the record I would like to say that I don't see anyone really at each other's throat in here. For the most part its been very civil, sure their are some impassioned opinions, but that's to be expected. And honestly, I think we are making some ground and that's a beautiful thing.

This all makes perfect sense to me. My brother-in-law is a Black man and I have 3 beautiful nieces as a result, but I know for a fact, and we're close, that he doesn't talk to me about everything he talks to other Black men about. And that is perfectly okay with me. I understand that we both come from different cultures and I really respect that. On the flipside, as a White guy, I've had conversations with other White guys that I wouldn't say around Black folks. Now please don't misunderstand that statement as me hiding some racist agenda, its just that some conversations are really uncomfortable and sometimes you have feelings about things and want to know if its only you. So you ask people that look like you if they feel the same way. Or if they have experienced the same things. Most recently these conversations have revolved around White Fragility, which by the way, my brother-in-law thinks is completely ridiculous and makes him very nervous. I mean the whole idea that you're born a racist because of the color of your skin is completely insane in my opinion. And is the exact definition of being a racist. Think about that for a second. If I, a White guy, were to say that all Black babies are born criminals, what would that say about me? That is a reprehensible statement for anyone to make. What if a Black man said the same thing? Still reprehensible and to be honest I would think it projects that identity on that group of people. And if some are weak enough to buy into it, accept the fact that they were born that way and embrace it, then boom another criminal is on the streets or another racist is on the streets when in reality they were neither until someone convinced them that's what they are.

So yeah, I completely agree with you that Black men probably don't say everything they would say around other black men in front of a white man. I'm okay with that and not even in the slightest bit offended.

Thank You for sharing. And, let's be abundantly clear, I don't think all White people are racists. I don't believe anyone is born racist. I don't think all cops are evil, racist or out to get Black people.
Further, I was not and am not saying that only Black people have these private conversations among themselves. As you note, it's a comfortability factor. That said, it would probably behoove us all if some of those private conversations were had with people outside our comfort zone. Opinions, viewpoints, cultures, etc. can't be understood unless they are shared.

Also I havent watched the NFL but more importantly the Steelers since Tomlin held back the entire team and made Villanueva stand for the National Anthem by himself without the support of his team and I won't till he is gone. I do stop in here to read posts once in a while but mostly I follow in the N.Y. Post and if my Son wants me to watch a highlight on YouTube. Never will forgive Tomlin for forcing the team to his wants no matter how the Steelers front office tried to cover that up. Go back to Minnesota where you were 3-13 before you left or at least just go away. PS We still see the Anti American sentiment in the Steelers with names of criminals on their helmets and NEVER EVER THOUGHT TO HAVE MILATARY HEROS NAMES ON THE HELMETS EVEN WHEN THEY PUT THEOR VERY KIVES ON THE LINE SO WE CAN BE AND DO WHAT WE WANT. THERES A LOT WRONG IN THE COUNTRY BIT MOST JUST WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT WITHOUT ANY ACTION. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT BECAUSE THE REAL HERO'S PROTECT EVEN THAT RIGHT.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Thank You for sharing. And, let's be abundantly clear, I don't think all White people are racists. I don't believe anyone is born racist. I don't think all cops are evil, racist or out to get Black people.
Further, I was not and am not saying that only Black people have these private conversations among themselves. As you note, it's a comfortability factor. That said, it would probably behoove us all if some of those private conversations were had with people outside our comfort zone. Opinions, viewpoints, cultures, etc. can't be understood unless they are shared.
SteelBuckeye, Were slowly coming together and these clashes spotlight where the real problems are. Their little groups within every culture even law enforcement. Here in N.Y. we probably have the most diverse community in the country & maybe even in the world and the only place we had problems was Manhattan because of a Democratic Mayor and Governor who allowed non New Yorkers to come in and start trouble. So out of 15 million N.Y.ers only a handful joined the outsiders. Could of been dealt with in one night.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelBuckeye, Were slowly coming together and these clashes spotlight where the real problems are. Their little groups within every culture even law enforcement. Here in N.Y. we probably have the most diverse community in the country & maybe even in the world and the only place we had problems was Manhattan because of a Democratic Mayor and Governor who allowed non New Yorkers to come in and start trouble. So out of 15 million N.Y.ers only a handful joined the outsiders. Could of been dealt with in one night.

What are your feelings on the Mayor and Governor being reelected despite all this because they are Democrats?