• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

And it Begins:Special Prosecutor To Investigate Trump And Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
On point:

"The moment he got this email, Donald Trump Jr. should have called the FBI," Nicholas Kristof writes. "Instead of calling the FBI, Donald Trump Jr. responded 'I love it.'"

The Trumps Embraced a Russian Plot
https://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ced-a-russian-plot/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The astonishing email just released by Donald Trump Jr., setting up the meeting last year with a Russian lawyer, is devastating for the White House. Above all, it underscores that the Trump family knew of a secret Russian campaign to interfere in the American election — and embraced it.

Read the whole email exchange, but here’s the key paragraph: “The Crown prosecutor of Russia … offered to provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia and would be very useful to your father. This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.”

This passage undermines the Trump and White House position in three crucial ways — not attributed to vague “sources” but in black and white documentary form. Here’s what the email does:

1. It shows that the Russian government was behind the effort. This is the Kremlin, not random Russians.

2. The Russian government is offering “sensitive” information and “official documents” that would incriminate Hillary Clinton. The clear implication is that this material is stolen by spies, probably hacked, for how else would the Russian government have it?

3. The offer is part of a pattern of the Russian “government’s support for Mr. Trump.”

Put these three points together, and it’s clear from the email that the Russian government has picked sides and is trying to secretly affect the outcome of the American presidential race by providing stolen information about a former secretary of state. For months, the Trumps have been publicly doubting that the Russian government interfered in the U.S. election, when Donald Trump Jr. had email evidence of this effort in June 2016!

The moment he got this email, Donald Trump Jr. should have called the F.B.I. That’s what the Al Gore campaign did in 2000 when it received a Bush campaign briefing booklet. It’s one thing to do opposition research; everybody does that. It’s another thing to use stolen information secretly provided by a rival nation where journalists and dissidents end up dead.

Instead of calling the F.B.I., Donald Trump Jr. responded “I love it.”

He then summoned Jared Kushner and Paul Manafort to join the meeting. In other words, informed of a covert Russian effort to use espionage to interfere with the U.S. election, he embraced it.

I don’t know whether this is criminal. I do know that it’s disgraceful.

This is also arguably “soft collusion,” acceptance of a foreign power’s interference in an election for one’s own benefit. Whether there was a quid pro quo and “hard collusion,” we’ll have to see. We do have the outlines of a quid pro quo, in which each side was signalling what it wanted: The Trump campaign wanted dirt on the Clintons, and Russia wanted an easing of sanctions if Trump was elected.

After this meeting, the Trumps or the White House denied at least eight times that such a meeting had taken place. That is duplicity on top of collusion.

Nobody should be heartened by this. It’s a sad day for the country.

Soros musta give you a raise there Tibsy, you are all decked out in battle gear and pouncing all over this stupid side show nonsense.

We're gonna have to start calling you the leftist chicken little of the east.

1ihxec.jpg

...pouncing all over this stupid side show nonsense.

Sounds like it's the White House that's freaking out over this 'stupid side show nonsense.'

‘Full damage control mode’: MSNBC reporter paints picture of chaos unleashed by Trump Jr.’s emails

That is full D.C. mode? Sounds to me like they're doing more than Hillary did with her 33K missing e mails.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Sounds like it's the White House that's freaking out over this 'stupid side show nonsense.'

‘Full damage control mode’: MSNBC reporter paints picture of chaos unleashed by Trump Jr.’s emails

I stopped at MSNBC Reporter.

I stopped at MSNBC Reporter.
Of course you did, but that doesn't make the story - or the facts of the story - go away. Let's try some other sources covering White House turmoil, including FoxNews, Business Insider and the National Review. These aren't liberal rags, they can't all be fake news, can they?

The Trumps 'Caused Their Own Problem Here'
http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/...awyer-meeting-larry-winget-caused-own-problem

Why does it look like somebody close to the White House is trying to destroy Don Jr.?
http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-jr-email-chain-white-house-2017-7

The Times cannot have gotten the emails from Goldstone. After all, The Times knew that Trump Jr. had "forwarded the entire email chain to Mr. Kushner's company work email, and to Mr. Manafort at his Trump campaign email." Goldstone wasn't included on that forward, as we can see from Trump Jr.'s publication of the email chain on Twitter after The Times called him for comment about it.

So five people in or around the White House have been spilling highly incriminating information to The Times about Trump Jr.'s meeting, and an email chain that only Kushner, Manafort, and Trump Jr. possessed also made its way to The Times somehow.

This raises a bunch of interesting questions:

Why are some people close to the White House trying to destroy Trump Jr. in a way that risks destroying the whole Trump presidency?

Why are they dribbling it out in a manner designed to inflict maximum political damage?

And is it a coincidence that this is happening right after the president's long meeting with Vladimir Putin?

I don't know exactly what's going on here. But I can only imagine that there must be some group of people in or around the administration who believe they stand to gain from these disclosures.

There Is Now Evidence that Senior Trump Officials Attempted to Collude With Russia
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...oof-trump-campaign-attempted-collusion-russia

But to say that it (so far) appears that Donald Jr. didn’t break the law isn’t to defend his actions. To repeat, it now looks as if the senior campaign team of a major-party presidential candidate intended to meet with an official representative of a hostile foreign power to facilitate that foreign power’s attempt to influence an American election. Russian collusion claims are no longer the exclusive province of tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorists. No American — Democrat or Republican — should defend the expressed intent of this meeting.

Going further, at long last we can now put to bed the notion that the Russia investigation is little more than frivolous partisan harassment, and it casts in an entirely different light the president’s fury and frustration at its continued progress. As recently as last week, it appeared that the “collusion narrative” had lost steam, and that the so-called “Russia scandal” had morphed into an attack on Donald Trump’s handling of the investigation, rather than the investigation itself. If you had told me last week that there existed an e-mail chain where a Trump contact explicitly tried to set up a meeting between a purported Russian official and the Trump senior team to facilitate official Russian efforts to beat Clinton, I’d have thought you’d been spending too much time in the deranged corners of Twitter.

As of now, we should have zero confidence that we know all or even most material facts. We should have zero confidence that Trump’s frustration is entirely due to his feeling like an innocent man caught in the crosshairs of crazed conspiracy theorists. It now appears that his son, son-in-law, and campaign chair met with a lawyer who they were told was part of an official Russian government effort to impact the presidential election. The Russian investigation isn’t a witch hunt anymore, if it ever was. It’s a national necessity.

Of course you did, but that doesn't make the story - or the facts of the story - go away. Let's try some other sources covering White House turmoil, including FoxNews, Business Insider and the National Review. These aren't liberal rags, they can't all be fake news, can they?

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/07/...awyer-meeting-larry-winget-caused-own-problem

Why does it look like somebody close to the White House is trying to destroy Don Jr.?

There Is Now Evidence that Senior Trump Officials Attempted to Collude With Russia
http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...oof-trump-campaign-attempted-collusion-russia

All opinion pieces. I will wait patiently for cold hard proof and then see what happens from there. Meanwhile I want my President able to focus on his job.

1. Unlike Trump Sr., Trump Jr. IS a doctrinaire Conservative, so the Establishment is trying to stop him from having a political career.
2. Republicans are not allowed to do opposition research, only Democrats.

Also Tibs I think you need to read my earlier post about my thoughts on the media.

I have 2 cousins who are Russian. Adopted back in the mid 90s by my Aunt and Uncle. Investigate me for collusion.

1. Unlike Trump Sr., Trump Jr. IS a doctrinaire Conservative, so the Establishment is trying to stop him from having a political career.
2. Republicans are not allowed to do opposition research, only Democrats.

Opposition research. Wow that takes the all time euphamism cake. He was trying to get illegally obtained material not from just a foreign national but a adversary. That is ****** gold right there.

Opposition research. Wow that takes the all time euphamism cake. He was trying to get illegally obtained material not from just a foreign national but a adversary. That is ****** gold right there.

They OWN him. The Trumptards hitched themselves to that orange colored piece of human excrement KNOWING what he is.

Now they have to defend him to the bitter end, and when that end comes they'll just say it was a conspiracy to bring him down, the elite, the establishment, etc. NEVER admitting that he is one sorry excuse for a human being who doesn't give a **** about them, and who's made his own **** bed. and all because he is a self absorbed, narcissistic, racist, misogynistic, greedy POS.

WHERE ARE THOSE TAX RECORDS? If he has nothing to hide....why has he been hiding stuff since day 0?

Trumptards= A special kind of stupid ONLY America could produce.

They OWN him. The Trumptards hitched themselves to that orange colored piece of human excrement KNOWING what he is.

Now they have to defend him to the bitter end, and when that end comes they'll just say it was a conspiracy to bring him down, the elite, the establishment, etc. NEVER admitting that he is one sorry excuse for a human being who doesn't give a **** about them, and who's made his own **** bed. and all because he is a self absorbed, narcissistic, racist, misogynistic, greedy POS.

WHERE ARE THOSE TAX RECORDS? If he has nothing to hide....why has he been hiding stuff since day 0?

Trumptards= A special kind of stupid ONLY America could produce.

If he is so bad then what the **** does that say about the Democrats? They could not beat him and still can't bring him down. He beat you at your own game. He used every ******* trick in the Democrats playbook and now that it is used against them it is wrong. Talk about a special kind of stupid. The only difference between Trump and Hillary in their tactics is Hillary doesn't get caught because she kills the ******* witnesses. Regardless I still don't see a crime here. Keep putting us down keep belittling is and your side keeps losing.

Evidence of the dems imploding here in OH Sherrod Brown is now down 10 points to Mandel in the Senate race. Already looking at a pickup for the Republicans here in the Senate.
Trump is still 54% favorable and would still win OH.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yeah that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The even stupider part is the idiot releasing the e-mails like that was going to help him/them. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in the Trump family when it comes to intelligence.

The smart thing would have been to deny it and play the " Fake e-mail" angle that the Trumptards would gobble up, meanwhile hoping Mueller had nothing else and they could deny and hope it blew over. Instead Chump Jr. said " Hey look a fire! Let's throw some gas on it" Brilliant.....just brilliant.

This is what happens when you don't have people who understand politics working for you and instead you reward those who have kissed your *** in the past with those jobs.

DEAD MAN WALKING!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! God do i love it!

If he is so bad then what the **** does that say about the Democrats? They could not beat him and still can't bring him down. He beat you at your own game. He used every ******* trick in the Democrats playbook and now that it is used against them it is wrong. Talk about a special kind of stupid. The only difference between Trump and Hillary in their tactics is Hillary doesn't get caught because she kills the ******* witnesses. Regardless I still don't see a crime here. Keep putting us down keep belittling is and your side keeps losing.

Evidence of the dems imploding here in OH Sherrod Brown is now down 10 points to Mandel in the Senate race. Already looking at a pickup for the Republicans here in the Senate.
Trump is still 54% favorable and would still win OH.

It doesn't say anything about democrats. It says if you cut your nose to spite your face, you're an idiot, thats all.

And did any of that actually happen?

It doesn't say anything about democrats. It says if you cut your nose to spite your face, you're an idiot, thats all.

No it says liberals like you are ******* tools who can't win so all you can do is tear down. All you did for eight years is complain about how poor Barak was so mistreated and obstructed and now you have become ten times worse than what you claimed the Republicans were. You have become the most hypocritical bitter hateful group imaginable while still trying to claim to be the party of love and inclusion. Stop trying to sound morally superior and like your not the exact same thing you are claiming the other side to be. Trump is flawed to be sure ego driven and outspoken but he is not the ******* devil. He is doing the right thing policy wise as much as the career politicians will let him.

Not sure where to begin with this. If Trump was a democrat, everyone defending him on here would be ready to throw him in jail. Here are facts

1.Flynn resigned due to Russian "problems"
2.Sessions failed to disclose meetings with russians
3.Trumps son, son in law, and campaign manager went to meet with Russians to get info on Hillary while previously denying meetings and what not (lies)

The question is where do these facts take us. First of all saying Trump had no knowledge of his son / son in law meeting with russians to get dirt on hillary is like saying Tom Brady didnt know or have knowledge of the deflated footballs.
I do not feel that this is illegal, but definitely shady. Personally i feel that if there is credible information out there that a person is in the wrong it should be exposed. Where it would cross the line for me is if the Russians said "we give you info, you give us $$" or something along those lines. I also feel that the Russians are playing this administration like a fiddle. Trump is in way over his head with this job and the inexperience from him and some of his close advisors is really showing.

Holy crap, if you're Trump and you've lost Trey ******* Gowdy, it may be time to throw in the towel.

Donald Trump Jr.'s Emails Vindicate the Intelligence Community
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/07/donald-trump-junior-emails/533301/

Line by ugly line, Donald J. Trump Jr.’s emails with British-born former tabloid reporter and Russian intermediary Rob Goldstone are now plastered on The New York Times website. They reveal an astounding set of communications. Goldstone promises incriminating information about Hillary Clinton that could be used in the campaign—with the Kremlin’s backing.

Junior’s response should have been to speed dial the FBI. Instead, he writes three little words with big, big consequences: “I love it.”
<section id="article-section-1">
It’s quite a turn for the First Son. Just a few months ago, The New York Times gave him a fawning spread replete with woodsy photos. Now his association with dirt doesn’t look quite so good.

My three big takeaways from this breaking story:
<aside class="callout" data-omni-click="r'article',r' ',d,r'related',#data-omni-index,@data-article-id">
1) The key word in The New York Times piece is “flurry.” There isn’t one email exchange. There are many. Trump Jr.’s email “dump” will not be the end of the story. Instead, as Churchill once said, it’s just the end of the beginning. Investigators and journalists will be following the email trail.
</aside>
2) Even the emails released so far paint a damning portrait. The “we didn’t know better, we’re just amateurs” defense with respect to foreign policy—which the White House has been using to this point—will not hold up. Campaign chairman Paul Manafort attended the now-infamous June 9, 2016 meeting with Kremlin-connected lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya. Manafort is no neophyte in this world. He has worked on multiple Republican presidential campaigns over decades. What’s more, the red line, whether it’s a legal or political one, is: “Thou shalt not work with foreign powers to gain advantage in a U.S. election.” As former FBI director Jim Comey would put it, there is no fuzz on this whatsoever. Even if the foreign power involved were the Brits and not the Russians, meeting with a foreign government to get opposition dirt for a U.S. presidential election is wrong and probably illegal.
</section><section id="article-section-2">
3) It is telling that every new piece of hard information major newspapers have reported recently about the Russian meddling in the 2016 election—every single one—supports the Intelligence Community’s conclusions about it. In January, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence released the community's assessment that “Russian president Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the U.S. presidential election,” and that he and his government “aspired to help president-elect Trump's election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton.” The reporting has yet to implicate Putin himself, but Goldstone’s email citing a Russian official’s offer to “provide the Trump campaign with some official documents and information that would incriminate Hillary and her dealings with Russia,” as part of “Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump” is the clearest public evidence yet of the IC’s conclusion. And the emails were released by Trump Jr. himself—right before The New York Times posted them.

We need to stop saying of the intelligence community—as Donald Trump Sr. has encouraged—“These are the people who brought us Iraq WMD” and start saying, “These are the same people who found bin Laden.” In fact, Donald Trump Jr. proudly displays an American flag signed by members of SEAL Team Six—the unit that took out bin Laden—in his office. Junior should have thought harder about the kind of intel that helped the SEALs succeed—and what it might mean for his father.
</section>

I do not feel that this is illegal, but definitely shady. Personally i feel that if there is credible information out there that a person is in the wrong it should be exposed. Where it would cross the line for me is if the Russians said "we give you info, you give us $$" or something along those lines. I also feel that the Russians are playing this administration like a fiddle. Trump is in way over his head with this job and the inexperience from him and some of his close advisors is really showing.

Welcome to politics as usual in Washington DC. It is all shady. The Clinton's wrote the book on shady. The private server wasn't shady? The 30k missing emails weren't shady? The tarmac meeting wasn't shady?

The problem is that the Trump's don't think like politicians......yet. They will soon learn to put levels of denial between shady deals. The leaks coming out of the intelligence and law enforcement agencies should be troubling to all. The battle is just beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.