• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Are Steeler fans, on average, more knowledgeable than other fan bases' fans?

Don’t sell yourself short on O’Canada being so up there in brains, once you learned their language and had time to know their offensive play book,…… YOU and many here would out shine him. 1yr and you’d be surprised.
My neighbor is a high school head coach with several state championship trophies and I’m confident he would be a better NFL OC than Canaduh.

My neighbor is a high school head coach with several state championship trophies and I’m confident he would be a better NFL OC than Canaduh.
No Steelers coach should be comfy. They all have something to prove. So the HC shouldn't be allowed to bring in assistant coaches based on his comfort level. Which clearly has been the case of past hires.

Moving forward until the new HC is retained, I think the team rule should be no people you have close ties with.

Knowledgeable fans know stats do not always show the complete picture and can be manipulated to coincide with opinion.

Also film study can also be subjective. What one fan watches and thinks they observe can differ from what another watches. It also won't make a fan privy to routes run incorrectly, who is assigned to what player,etc.

Basically fans aren't professional film watchers, neither are some media sites and broadcasters etc.
Knowledgeable fans are smart enough to know when to trust the stats. Fantasy football is 100% statistics, knowing what talent is and isn't. Barring injury, the best players put up the best stats, the players with the best stats help their teams the most. period. You want an objective unbiased look at who the top players are?? Look at fantasy football stats at the end of any season. Pretty black and white.

Knowledgeable fans are smart enough to know when to trust the stats. Fantasy football is 100% statistics, knowing what talent is and isn't. Barring injury, the best players put up the best stats, the players with the best stats help their teams the most. period. You want an objective unbiased look at who the top players are?? Look at fantasy football stats at the end of any season. Pretty black and white.

I wonder why Purdy and McCaffrey didn't win the SB their FF stats were better than Mahomes. If you don't understand the concept of different schemes and coaches can help to inflate players statistics, then I am wasting my time with this discussion.

But wait you know what stat to trust and which stat not to I get it. This sounds more like you use stats to support your opinions. The second you brought up fantasy football I knew no matter what I had to say it would bounce off the wall.

The only thing fantasy football statistics is good for is fantasy football.

did you type that with a straight face?

I hear yaz SteelerSask2, but you can put anyone one the coaching staff, ownership, players, trainers, ect. In my profession(s) head to head against me and I’ll out shine everyone of them in two different professions that I happen to be very good at.

I hear what uyou are saying, but also defending those in non-football related jobs who are very smart at what they do.

Don’t sell yourself short on O’Canada being so up there in brains, once you learned their language and had time to know their offensive play book,…… YOU and many here would out shine him. 1yr and you’d be surprised.

Salute the nation
The thing I am on the fence about is...while I believe Canada was not very good, I wonder if the QB play before Rudolph was so lacking? I think we may find out the answer to that with what the Steelers do this offseason. If they would trade for Fields for example or draft one high or something I think it may have been more crappy QB play then poor coordinating.

The thing I am on the fence about is...while I believe Canada was not very good, I wonder if the QB play before Rudolph was so lacking? I think we may find out the answer to that with what the Steelers do this offseason. If they would trade for Fields for example or draft one high or something I think it may have been more crappy QB play then poor coordinating.

Could easily be both, just saying if QB play is to blame then we need new QBs as Kenny had every opportunity to succeed under O'Canada. If it's not the OC, then it is a butload of a bad QBing.

I can't answer if KP8 is the answer (I think he will not be), and I also think Mason will not be back unless proper $$$$$$ is exchanged and a reassurance from Art 2 himself, that there will be fair QB competition. (only a fool would believe that scenario that Tomlin will be fair).

Salute the nation

Could easily be both, just saying if QB play is to blame then we need new QBs as Kenny had every opportunity to succeed under O'Canada. If it's not the OC, then it is a butload of a bad QBing.

I can't answer if KP8 is the answer (I think he will not be), and I also think Mason will not be back unless proper $$$$$$ is exchanged and a reassurance from Art 2 himself, that there will be fair QB competition. (only a fool would believe that scenario that Tomlin will be fair).

Salute the nation
Do you really think Tomlin wasn't fair? What I mean is they had an idea of what they wanted in a QB to run Canada's system...a guy who could move for example, not really Rudolph's strong suit. It may have been stupid, but not fair? Let's say I have a road grader RT or something, but I want an overall OL that can move and pull. Is it unfair to the road grader RT if I play someone else who better fits the profile of what I want?

All fans, including us, are still feeding our money to the NFL for the crap that is the current NFL. So, I would say we are all pretty stupid. It is what it is. :)
Addiction is a very powerful thing.

Do you really think Tomlin wasn't fair? What I mean is they had an idea of what they wanted in a QB to run Canada's system...a guy who could move for example, not really Rudolph's strong suit. It may have been stupid, but not fair? Let's say I have a road grader RT or something, but I want an overall OL that can move and pull. Is it unfair to the road grader RT if I play someone else who better fits the profile of what I want?

I’m saying Tomlin will not treat Mason in an equal way of Pickett, unless Coach Tomlin changes the way he proceeded from last season.

Last season, Mason didn’t get a fair shake. They needed to see what they had in Picket.

This season they need best QB wins, including if they bring in a HOT SHOT draft pick or FA. The giving Picket time, is over, he had his ample time To put up or shut up.

I’m not saying Mason is the answer, or Picket either. I actually don’t think Mason will be back other than his deep ties to players and FO.

Salute the nation

I wonder why Purdy and McCaffrey didn't win the SB their FF stats were better than Mahomes. If you don't understand the concept of different schemes and coaches can help to inflate players statistics, then I am wasting my time with this discussion.

But wait you know what stat to trust and which stat not to I get it. This sounds more like you use stats to support your opinions. The second you brought up fantasy football I knew no matter what I had to say it would bounce off the wall.

The only thing fantasy football statistics is good for is fantasy football.
The top fantasy players are the highest performing, highest paid NFL players. What do you not understand about that?

did you type that with a straight face?
So you are telling me the top performing players are not the top fantasy football players? Is that what you are trying to say?

No Steelers coach should be comfy. They all have something to prove. So the HC shouldn't be allowed to bring in assistant coaches based on his comfort level. Which clearly has been the case of past hires.

Moving forward until the new HC is retained, I think the team rule should be no people you have close ties with.

Coach Cowher said it was lonely at the top. He said he couldn’t have any friends because it would interfere with what’s best for them team. Every decision he made was made for the betterment of the team, not friends .

Coach Tomlin had it that the TOP three were his long time friends, OC Fichtner, ST Bubbles, DC Butler. Kept friends in way to long and even replaced friends with friends.

Salute the nation

The top fantasy players are the highest performing, highest paid NFL players. What do you not understand about that?
I understand completely what you were trying to say I just didn't agree with it. As far as the highest payed players that varies as well. Some are locked into contracts, etc. Anywho I stand by that stats don't always paint a clear picture. We will agree to disagree...

Coach Cowher said it was lonely at the top. He said he couldn’t have any friends because it would interfere with what’s best for them team. Every decision he made was made for the betterment of the team, not friends .

Coach Tomlin had it that the TOP three were his long time friends, OC Fichtner, ST Bubbles, DC Butler. Kept friends in way to long and even replaced friends with friends.
Every single coach Shades hired since he’s been here was either someone he knew or worked with before.
He did not hire Haley and I’m sure he was under orders to hire someone from outside for the Smith hire.

So you are telling me the top performing players are not the top fantasy football players? Is that what you are trying to say?
I am telling you, if I cared enough about it, and had enough time, I could find a stat that any random player is awesome, bad, and in between

I am telling you, if I cared enough about it, and had enough time, I could find a stat that any random player is awesome, bad, and in between

What else have you got to do, besides eating “peppered” BACON ?

Salute the nation

I could eat peppered BACON and do this. laptop would end up eaten by my dogs probs
I don't know if peppered BACON is supposed to mean something else...but I love peppered bacon. You are making me hungry. When we do pigs, the one guy makes the bacon. It is out of this world.

DIC, who is Jose Whales? The Outlaw's Mexican cousin?

Look up the movie "Outlaw Jose Whales", you'll see the significance of the statement.

Salute the nation

I loved that movie. One of my favorites from Clint Eastwood.
I watched High Plains (sp)Drifter last night. That is the one they whipped him and he was presumed dead ..