• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Between the Lines: Week 7

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Another interesting week for the steelers as they beat a good team with their 3rd string QB. The Steelers are starting to stack wins, and look to stack another this weekend on the road in KC. This past week marked my first perfect inactive list prediction (7-0). This brings the current weekly count to 8-1 (23-9), as I was wrong with the team going with Golden over Shamarko. After watching the game, I was pleasantly surprised with Golden's performance. His tackling was strong and he seemed to be in the right spot to make plays. He's not as fast as Shamarko, but his 3 years of experience, has shown that Golden is more reliable in this defense. I also had a pending prediction that Bryant's first game would be a breakout performance. Too bad he didn't have Jones throwing the entire game, he could have had over 200yards receiving! Kudos for the great catch and run as well as the athletic TD Bryant! You are a freak athlete who will be a mismatch to any defender you face.

This week wasn't as active as most weeks we've had, but we still suffered a significant injury at LT by losing Beachum for the season with a torn ACL and in turn, signed Byron Stingily as a backup. Many of you may have noticed that the call of an ACL injury was made at postgame, so the natural thought process may be: How can they know his ACL is injured? Doesn't he need an MRI, and doesn't it take time to get one? MRIs are the most effective way to determine the exact severity of an injury, however there is a specific test that can be done on the field to see if the ACL is severely damaged. It's called a drawer test. The leg is bent at a 90 angle. This can be done laying on the ground with your knee bent above you. The trainer or doctor then sits in front of the player's foot, grabs the calf, below the knee, and pulls the lower leg toward them. If the lower leg slides out from the knee joint (like opening a drawer), this is an indication of an ACL tear. Normally the ACL is intact in the front of the knee joint and the lower leg would not slide at all because of it. This test is how the team immediately knew the injury to Beachum was severe and could definitively make the statement that he was lost for the year during the postgame presser.

Since Beachum is now out, we get to see the 6'9" Villanueva play. Earlier this season I predicted that Villanueva would be the heir to the LT spot, after a strong showing in preseason. The Steelers knew what they had in him and may have made Beachum a fair to lower offer than he was expecting, because they had option 2 in the wings. Unfortunately, since Beachum is a free agent, and he will be out the next 9months rehabbing (a July timetable), I don't see any team making an offer on Beachum before training camp. His value has dropped significantly, and unfortunately, with for this type of knee injury, there isn't a good track record of OL returning to form after an ACL tear. I hope he can buck the trend and be productive, because Beachum can play any position on the line. His position flexibility is invaluable, so that alone will keep the steelers interest of signing him to a modest contract, on his possibility of returning to form. Though this contract won't be offered until next summer.

It would be helpful to get Adams back, and since he was PUP designated, this week is the first week a PUP player can return to practice. Adams did not return, so the severity of injury to his back may be more significant that when he was PUPed. This does start a 5 week window period where a PUP player can be added to the active roster. If he doesn't return in 5 weeks, he's on the PUP for the rest of the year and is unavailable to play. PUP players, when they return to practice, have a 3 week window where they can practice, but not be added to the roster. The player must be added to the roster to participate in games, and at that point, you'd have to cut a player. Stingily would be the logical cut if Adams can return.

The only information I could find on Adams was he supposed to be out for 4 weeks after back surgery. We are now at 15 total weeks for his injury, so I'm interested to know what his specific back issue was, and why has he not responded well to surgery? There are too many types of back surgery to speculate what he had. I only hope the right questions can be asked during a presser to get more information on it. http://www.thescore.com/news/799449

Looks like Pouncey just underwent a 2nd surgery. http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-maurkice-pouncey-undergoes-second-surgery-on The bones are healing, but the infection is the issue. Since it was was not a surface cleaning and hardware was removed, this will increase the timetable for his recovery. 6-8 weeks is standard recovery for bones to reattach completely to new hardware, but I wouldn't anticipate Pouncey being anywhere near game shape at week 13-15. If he returns at all, it would be as a backup until he can strengthen his leg and return to game shape. That time table on the optimistic side would have him ready to start in the playoffs and perhaps the last couple games of the season. Get well soon big man!

Shazier is returning this week, and I've read that he will be wearing a neck roll. This is a good sign, as a neck roll limits the neck's range of motion and can absorb impact to reduce the chance of his burner flaring up. Hopefully it's just what he needs for the confidence to play hard and not worry about his burner. JJ had a hip, and I'm assuming it was a hip pointer since he only missed one game, and on the mild scale at that. He should be good moving forward, as a lesser hip pointer injury is more of a painful injury than a debilitating one, and has a very low chance of reoccurring.

This week I am looking for Jones to Start and Ben to serve as the backup. Ben is good enough to practice and could come in if Jones is injured. It would be cool to see if they bring Ben on the field for 2pt or short yardage conversion attempts. This would add a wrinkle to KC's game planning and they would not be ready for it.

Lastly, I'm looking for our interior receivers to have a great game. KC has trouble covering the slot and TEs or RBs running routes. Their job will be even harder while committing 2 men each to limit AB and Bryant. Wheaton should excel on 3WR sets as well as Heath and Bell out of the backfield. I would predict that this will be Bell's best receiving game of the season, and Wheaton should hit a season high as well.

Defensively it is going to be pressure, pressure, pressure. KC has allowed 24 sacks this year, and the Steelers D is pretty good at getting to the QB. Alex Smith is not a very mobile QB, and he like to throw to his first reads. Tight coverage and good pressure will slow down his decision making allowing the front 7 to feast on QB pressures. The only unknown is the fill in for Tuitt. I would like to see Heyward play there instead of Cam, and let Cam and Big Dan shore up the middle. Heyward IMHO is the best at shooting a gap and it would be better to have his skills doing it on the end as opposed to up the center.

Predicted Inactives for week 7:
1. Vick - He is sitting as his hamstring will not be able to go for a bit
2. Tuitt - This knee injury concerns me, as the team has been awfully quite about severity and he's not practicing
3. Will Allen - His Ankle isn't ready to go this week
4. Cortez Allen - His knee is still nagging. He's practicing, but until he becomes a full participant, I will always predict him as inactive.
5. Jessie James - Redshirting on the roster.
6. Chris Hubbard - Since the OL injury was to a tackle, his status as an inactive is unchanged and Legs gets the hat.
7. Chickillo - With JJ returning he's the odd man out
* Todman is a possibility, but they seem to like to keep him active. Walton will get a hat due to Tuitt's injury.

Quite a weird week on the waiver wire and activating/deactivating players. It changed daily, and my best guess only netted 4-7 correct on the Inactive list, which I consider a plus, but it's evened out by Ventrone being the surprise cut on the team (4-4 for the week and 15-8 total on the year.

Not only did we lose a starting safety to injury (in Allen), but we cut another backup safety in Ventrone, leaving us with only Mitchell, Golden, and Shamarko. This 3 headed dragon is going to be our backstop for the Cardinals. This is a head scratcher. Why wouldn't we call up Dangerfield for this game, in the off chance we get ANOTHER injury at Safety? Does this mean we have an alternative backup safety already on the roster? Is that what Boykin is being groomed for? Even I'm not crazy enough to predict this, but I will make a prediction. If I am the coach, this is the game to see if Shamarko is an NFL talent. I give him the reps, I give him the reins, and I let him sink or swim. I know this fills a lot of SN with a sense of dread, but I see it as an opportunity. He's been groomed. He was all but handed the position pre-season. He lost it, and now has a chance to make his mark. It's now or never for him, and I expect him to start this week. I'm not as down on his losing the football on the punt and nearly catching it, as I am up on the fact that he recovered a fumble, and had it not been for the female referee's inadvertent whistle, we would have had 2 defensive TDs, and Shamarko would be a hero. We did keep his recovered fumble and gained a possession, but people like to remember the faults. To each his own then. Wrong we went with Golden

Injuries and inactives are bit down this week. First let's talk about our Designated to return IR player in Markus Pouncey. I know he was eligible to return week 8. With his injury, i predicted that he wouldn't be ready until week 12. I hear a tweet ruling him out with a surgery to repair an infection. For Pouncey to have any infection following surgery and antibiotics means he probably has MRSA. I assume the new surgery will be an attempt to cut it out and place him on new drugs that can target and kill MRSA. The problem with a severe staph infection like MRSA means you don't know you have it until you have complications. Good news is if this is the reason for his surgery, and not a complication to the actual procedure done in the preseason, then Pouncey can still return this year, and isn't even really that far off of my original thought of 12 weeks (Dec). I think i can lean on the optimistic side and state that if he returns this season, it will be in mid Dec around week 14. This is barring any further complications or MRSA relapse. Good thing is, Pouncey gets better care than most of us. They found it and are treating it. So he has the best chance of an optimal recovery. I wish you well Pouncey, and I hope you're on the field soon! Pending

Now on to Shazier. If you understand the injury as a burner (Shoulder and Neck stinger), then you would understand that it's a nagging injury with a high percentage of reinjury without significant rest. Everything was looking good last week for his return until he hurt it during the last practice. Bam, we're back to square one. I didn't see his arm in a sling, so it doesn't look like he's really back to square one, just a half step back as opposed to a full step. This means he's week to week, yet again, until he's symptom free. He's out this week for sure, and I'll have to monitor his practice before I can make a good prediction, but that's all I can say. An interesting side bet you can all play amongst yourselves: Who will return first? Ben or Shazier?

Injuries are a little more clear for me to make an inactive list prediction:
1. Ben - glad he's returned to practice in some capacity, and even happier he's helping to coach up Vick. Godspeed Ben! Right
2. Shazier - Back on the bench for this year's sweatshirt darling. I hope you mend quickly, I love watching you play! Right
3. Will Allen - No practice all week means no WA. Right
4. Cortez Allen - If it wasn't for Shazier, CA would win the Duce Staley Golden Sweatpants award this year. Right
5. Jarvis Jones - I saw he didn't practice, so I don't think he will play Right
6. Jessie James - He's red shirting Right
7. Chris Hubbard - He's the trend and with Legs being position flexible he's logical. Right

The other person with a chance to be inactive is Walton, since Big Dan is coming back. Though the team may err on the side of caution and make sure Walton is active in case they have a Big Dan gameday setback. It's what I'd do with a large man that has a leg injury.

Do we know yet if Shazier is playing Sunday?

Have to think the keys to this game are neutralizing the KC pass rush, protecting the football (this is an every week deal, more so especially on the road in front of a loud fan base), & limiting penalties. This is most definitely a trap game facing a team with a poor record and a divisional showdown at Heinz next week v the Bungles.

There is no way this is a trap game. A trap game means a team is overlooking an opponent and that is impossible to do when you are starting your 3rd string QB (first start of his career, first playing time on the road).

This is a classic turnover / special teams game. We will probably win if we at least "tie" the Chiefs in both areas.

I want to see a conservative game plan, but also a willingness to take deep shots (kind of like what we talked about with Vick at QB, except Vick seemed incapable of letting the ball leave his hand). The first time we cross our own 40-yard line, I want a deep shot to Bryant on 1st or 2nd down. But otherwise, try to give Jones easy, quick throws and keep his total attempts close to 20.

Bryant is the X-factor again. He should create space for Bell, Brown, Heath etc.

Last edited:
I agree. The winner of this game is the one wins the turnover battle.

I would also add that Alex Smith is actually a pretty mobile QB.

Well, since Cortez is on the IR, that changes the Inactive list slightly. I just substitute Ben to being inactive for Cortez's slot

Predicted Inactives for week 7:
1. Vick - He is sitting as his hamstring will not be able to go for a bit
2. Tuitt - This knee injury concerns me, as the team has been awfully quite about severity and he's not practicing
3. Will Allen - His Ankle isn't ready to go this week
4. Ben Roethlisburger - takes Cortez Allen's slot. Since Murphy was activated, Ben will be a scratch.
5. Jessie James - Redshirting on the roster.
6. Chris Hubbard - Since the OL injury was to a tackle, his status as an inactive is unchanged and Legs gets the hat.
7. Chickillo - With JJ returning he's the odd man out