• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bill Cowher Recalls the Debate and Decision to draft Ben Roethlisberger

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Despite the Pittsburgh Steelers finishing the 2003 season with a losing record, then head coach Bill Cowher and general manager Kevin Colbert were in agreement that quarterback was not the team’s primary need. While Tommy Maddox did not have a great season, the pair were convinced it was not all his fault. Cowher felt the team could be successful with Maddox going forward as he had showed confidence in the pocket and his ability to throw the ball with accuracy initially transformed the Steelers into a passing offense and high scoring team.

Nonetheless, Cowher acknowledged the offensive line was not very good and never gave Maddox a chance. The inconsistency of the line exposed that the Steelers were not efficient with their passing game and felt the team probably needed an offensive lineman more than a quarterback. He also felt the team had lost their identity as a tough, physical team and vowed to reestablish that identity as his top priority.

Bill Cowher, per Heart and Steel: (Atria Books)

We finished 6-10, and what hurt more than the lost games was the loss of our identity. I viewed the next off-season as one of the biggest of my career.

The first time Cowher met Ben Roethlisberger was during an interview at the 2004 NFL Combine in Indianapolis, where he certainly made an impression. He was fiercely competitive, and it bothered him with how the draft experts had higher grades for Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, primarily because they had played in the SEC and ACC, which were higher-profile conferences and against stronger competition.

Bill Cowher, per Heart and Steel: (Atria Books)

The chip on his shoulder was impossible to miss. He had an edge to him, and tremendous confidence that bordered on cockiness. Our general manager, Kevin Colbert, noticed it, too.

We weren’t sure what it was about the twenty-two-year-old quarterback, but we both decided we wanted to speak with him again in a few weeks. This time we flew him to Pittsburgh. I talked with him first, then pointed him toward Kevin’s office down the hall. After Ben left our building, Kevin and I compared notes.

“Well, what did you think?” Kevin asked.

“Um, he was… better this time than he was in Indy?” I answered with a laugh.

Cowher and Colbert were clearly intrigued with Roethlisberger’s physical capabilities and the ability to make any throw that put him on par with the more polished Manning and Rivers. They also saw him as rough around the edges and even though the raw talent was there, were all too aware that talent alone was often not enough.

On the day of the 2004 NFL Draft, Dan Rooney observed that once Manning and Rivers were off the board, there was increased focus on OT Shawn Andrews to be the Steelers number one pick and was not inclined to allow the same mistake that happened in 1983 when the Steelers passed up Dan Marino.

Dan Rooney; per My 75 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL: (Hachette Books)

I couldn’t bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger.

Rooney’s argument – when a potential franchise quarterback comes your way, you don’t weigh other possibilities and you take him – was persuasive enough that it convinced Cowher and Colbert to decide that while they would not trade up for Roethlisberger, should he still be available at pick No. 11, they would not let him get past them.

Unlike 1983, this time it was a decision the Steelers would not regret.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Despite the Pittsburgh Steelers finishing the 2003 season with a losing record, then head coach Bill Cowher and general manager Kevin Colbert were in agreement that quarterback was not the team’s primary need. While Tommy Maddox did not have a great season, the pair were convinced it was not all his fault. Cowher felt the team could be successful with Maddox going forward as he had showed confidence in the pocket and his ability to throw the ball with accuracy initially transformed the Steelers into a passing offense and high scoring team.

Nonetheless, Cowher acknowledged the offensive line was not very good and never gave Maddox a chance. The inconsistency of the line exposed that the Steelers were not efficient with their passing game and felt the team probably needed an offensive lineman more than a quarterback. He also felt the team had lost their identity as a tough, physical team and vowed to reestablish that identity as his top priority.

If only this thinking were available to Rudolf. Oh well.

Cowher takes more **** for having a conversation on draft day about Ben, than Noll does for passing on Marino.

Tom, I assume you saw the article quoting (was it Dungy?) that one of the considerations was that Noll didn't want to upset Bradshaw by drafting a young stud QB. On one hand, I can totally understand that line of thinking. Bradshaw has done a LOT for your franchise and he's a great fit as a tough S.O.B. Quarterback. On the other hand, as Dan said, "When you have an opportunity for a franchise player, you ******* TAKE it."

And I think it's really interesting that Cowher identified the offensive line as a major weakness going in to Ben's first year and it may suggest that Cowher really wanted to ease Ben into the passing game of the NFL and limit his throws NOT because he didn't trust him, but because he didn't want to get him killed his rookie year.

And I think it's really interesting that Cowher identified the offensive line as a major weakness going in to Ben's first year and it may suggest that Cowher really wanted to ease Ben into the passing game of the NFL and limit his throws NOT because he didn't trust him, but because he didn't want to get him killed his rookie year.

True perhaps, but Maddox was the starter until he got hurt. What happens to the Steelers if Maddox stays healthy? Does 2005 season happen? I don't think so.

True perhaps, but Maddox was the starter until he got hurt. What happens to the Steelers if Maddox stays healthy? Does 2005 season happen? I don't think so.
IF Maddox is the starter in 2005, absolutely not. I'm guessing Ben would've been starting 2005, even if Maddox didn't get hurt in 2004.

IF Maddox is the starter in 2005, absolutely not. I'm guessing Ben would've been starting 2005, even if Maddox didn't get hurt in 2004.

Yeah, no doubt about the difference if Maddox is the starter in 2005, but what I am saying is that Ben's 2004 playoff experience was a HUGE difference maker. He really struggled against the Jets and the 1st half against the Cheats. He said he learned so much that his experience made 2005 possible.

Last edited:
Obviously Cowher didn't pass on BEN. Ben was taken and the rest is history. Rooney stirred the conversation back and an agreeent seems to have been made and thus BEN was there and we took him. What about the other teams drafting before us, those are the ones that passed on him.

******* dead horse arguement

Salute the nation

Obviously Cowher didn't pass on BEN. Ben was taken and the rest is history. Rooney stirred the conversation back and an agreeent seems to have been made and thus BEN was there and we took him. What about the other teams drafting before us, those are the ones that passed on him.

Salute the nation
The anti-Cowher people love to bring this up.

Tom, I assume you saw the article quoting (was it Dungy?) that one of the considerations was that Noll didn't want to upset Bradshaw by drafting a young stud QB. On one hand, I can totally understand that line of thinking. Bradshaw has done a LOT for your franchise and he's a great fit as a tough S.O.B. Quarterback. On the other hand, as Dan said, "When you have an opportunity for a franchise player, you ******* TAKE it."

Wait, seriously? He didn't want to upset an aging and battered Terry Bradshaw who was just hanging on by a thread and retired that same season? The same Noll who would cuss him out on the sidelines in front of everybody and didn't give a single **** about his feelings? That Chuck Noll? Good God almighty.

It was not an easy conversation for Cowher to have with Maddox after that pick.

And Dan (as well as the Chief) always regretted not taking Marino

Salute the nation
It was a unique year.

Not only did Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers go off the board within the first 4 picks...

But look at who was drafting ahead of the Steelers 5-10:
Washington - drafted QB Patrick Ramsey in first round with #32 overall pick in 2002
Cleveland - added QB Jeff Garcia in FA (dumb move - Butch Davis was more interested in keeping his job as HC/GM and needed to win vs. look at future)
Detroit - drafted QB Joey Harrington in first round with #3 overall pick in 2002
Atlanta - drafted QB Mike Vick in first round with #1 overall pick in 2001
Jacksonville - drafted QB Byron Leftwich in first round with #7 overall pick in 2003
Houston - drafted QB David Carr in first round with #1 overall pick in 2002

At the time, there was no way to know that these highly drafted picks at QB would not pan out.

The Raiders whiffed badly with the bust Robert Gallery, but they had Rich Gannon who was just a year removed from MVP.
Arizona had desperate need for a QB - but didn't exactly bust with Larry Fitzgerald

Really the team that busted the worst was Buffalo. They had the #13 pick despite finishing 6-10 , just like the Steelers and Jets, but were 3rd in that order due to the tie breaker. Tom Donahoe tried desperately to trade with Jacksonville so he could take Roethlisberger and couldn't pull off a move from #13 to #9. Just 4 spots.... maybe the fact he was a dislikeable ******* was true...

So he traded a first round pick in 2005 to move into 2004 and take the bust of QB JP Losman - who the hell knows why when he had traded their 2003 first round pick for Drew Bledsoe in 2002 (who went to Pro Bowl) - but if he kept that pick he would have easily been able to draft Aaron Rodgers the following year.

I think that was the plan even if Maddox was to be healthy all year long. Remember they moved away from Amos Zereoue and signed Duce Staley, far more of a power style RB to carry the load and was meant for Bettis to just be a short yardage guy.

The OL really was set back by injuries, particularly with Marvel Smith went down and Alan Faneca had to shift to LT.

The interesting part was how Keydrick Vincent and Oliver Ross - who struggled in 2003, really improved in 2004. Maybe gives some hope that our guys now can improve?

It was a unique year.

Not only did Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers go off the board within the first 4 picks...

But look at who was drafting ahead of the Steelers 5-10:
Washington - drafted QB Patrick Ramsey in first round with #32 overall pick in 2002
Cleveland - added QB Jeff Garcia in FA (dumb move - Butch Davis was more interested in keeping his job as HC/GM and needed to win vs. look at future)
Detroit - drafted QB Joey Harrington in first round with #3 overall pick in 2002
Atlanta - drafted QB Mike Vick in first round with #1 overall pick in 2001
Jacksonville - drafted QB Byron Leftwich in first round with #7 overall pick in 2003
Houston - drafted QB David Carr in first round with #1 overall pick in 2002

At the time, there was no way to know that these highly drafted picks at QB would not pan out.

The Raiders whiffed badly with the bust Robert Gallery, but they had Rich Gannon who was just a year removed from MVP.
Arizona had desperate need for a QB - but didn't exactly bust with Larry Fitzgerald

Really the team that busted the worst was Buffalo. They had the #13 pick despite finishing 6-10 , just like the Steelers and Jets, but were 3rd in that order due to the tie breaker. Tom Donahoe tried desperately to trade with Jacksonville so he could take Roethlisberger and couldn't pull off a move from #13 to #9. Just 4 spots.... maybe the fact he was a dislikeable ******* was true...

So he traded a first round pick in 2005 to move into 2004 and take the bust of QB JP Losman - who the hell knows why when he had traded their 2003 first round pick for Drew Bledsoe in 2002 (who went to Pro Bowl) - but if he kept that pick he would have easily been able to draft Aaron Rodgers the following year.

Thanks for all the tid-bits, love it. It's aazing how Ben did fall to us. I knew it at the time but also appreciate your current take to remind us.

Thanks for all your great post(s) FSF

Salute the nation

Reactions: FSF
I think that was the plan even if Maddox was to be healthy all year long. Remember they moved away from Amos Zereoue and signed Duce Staley, far more of a power style RB to carry the load and was meant for Bettis to just be a short yardage guy.

The OL really was set back by injuries, particularly with Marvel Smith went down and Alan Faneca had to shift to LT.

The interesting part was how Keydrick Vincent and Oliver Ross - who struggled in 2003, really improved in 2004. MAYBE GIVES SOME HOPE THAT OUR GUYS NOW CAN IMPROVE ?

Your last sentence is my opinion as well. I' not sure if GREEN is our center or not but I' hoping his off season work with Marcice Pouncy is hard and pays off big time. I'm also on the boat of treating Tuitt as depth until he can prove otherwise. We still need a qaulity center & DL, just saying I wouldn't ignore either.

Salute the nation