• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chris Morgan Taking Over as Offensive Line Coach for Remainder of Season

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach, Adrian Klemm is leaving the organization immediately to hold the same position as well as become run game coordinator and assistant head coach with the Oregon Ducks. The offensive line for Mike Tomlin‘s team has drastically underperformed this season and Klemm will leave after just 15 games. This will lead to assistant offensive line coach, Chris Morgan, being promoted and running the big guys up front. Morgan will inherit a rushing (lack of) attack that is averaging just 87.6 yards per game on the ground.

Morgan’s best year involved with a team’s offensive line came in 2014 as the assistant offensive line coach for the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks not only went to the Super Bowl, but averaged an NFL-high 172.6 rushing yards per game. Steelers fans would settle for simply more 100 right now.

Morgan went on to lead an Atlanta Falcons offensive line in 2015 that was 5th in the NFL averaging just over 120 yards a game. The offense was, however, in the bottom half of the league with 37 sacks allowed. The Falcons went on to lose in the Super Bowl to the New England Patriots that season.

Morgan also has spent time with the formally known as Washington Redskins (2011-2013) and Oakland Raiders (2009-’10) as an assistant offensive line coach.

Can Morgan make a big enough impact in just two regular season games (and possibly playoffs) in order to secure the same position heading into the 2022 season? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

oh, good. more of the same, but worse.

2014- 42 sacks allowed in the regular season. 10 in the playoffs (3 games), 3 of which in the Super Bowl
2015 - 32 sacks in the regular season.
2016 - 37 in the regular season. 8 in the playoffs (3 games), including 5 in the Super Bowl
2017 - 24 sacks
2018 - 42 sacks allowed
2019 - 50 sacks allowed
2020 - 41 sacks allowed

quite obviously his offensive line blocking scheme is centered around tiring out the defense running untouched into the QB and hoping they injure themselves.

excellent goddamn hire

God himself could not make this OL productive. On the other side, not certain it can get any worse either.

What a ******* **** show! The Steelers are still barely hanging by a thread in potential contention for a playoff spot. So yeah let's let the line coach leave & bring in some new guy. Great ******* idea.

Not that Klemm was worth a ****, but Jesus, getting an entirely new guy with two games left in the season?

What a ******* **** show! The Steelers are still barely hanging by a thread in potential contention for a playoff spot. So yeah let's let the line coach leave & bring in some new guy. Great ******* idea.

Not that Klemm was worth a ****, but Jesus, getting an entirely new guy with two games left in the season?

He's not a new guy, he's the assistant OL coach now taking over the top job from Klemm.

Perhaps the FO has already mailed it in. I have to say the timing is really odd despite it being an internal swap.

Would love to know if Klemm said peace out ******* 2 weeks early or he was told to get the hell out now after that **** show yesterday...my money is he bailed 2 weeks early on his own accord

I’m not concerned about the rest of the year. If he makes some adjustments (removing Green as starting center) then it’s a good start.
I’m looking forward to seeing if they open up the interview process in the off-season

You do realize Morgan has been here all season right? He was the assistant OL coach. For what it's worth, given how this line has performed, bringing in an entirely new guy might have been more productive. lol

Three of the biggest letdowns in Steeler recent memory.
Neil O'Donnell lame interception to Larry Brown in Super Bowl against the Cowboys.
Rashard Mendenhall's fumble in Super Bowl XLV against the Packers.
Adrian Klemm's performance as an offensive line coach for the Steelers.

I hope the Steelers prorate his salary and deduct down to the day of his early departure. But really, why stop there? When did he actually stop working as an offensive line coach?

I would love to know what the interview process is at the University of Oregon -- to allow his performance as a coach with the Steelers -- to get him the job.
What exactly did they talk about that clinched it for him to get the job?
Seriously, what could you have possibly have looked at of the offensive line play this year to convince someone to give you a job somewhere else?

oh, good. more of the same, but worse.

2014- 42 sacks allowed in the regular season. 10 in the playoffs (3 games), 3 of which in the Super Bowl
2015 - 32 sacks in the regular season.
2016 - 37 in the regular season. 8 in the playoffs (3 games), including 5 in the Super Bowl
2017 - 24 sacks
2018 - 42 sacks allowed
2019 - 50 sacks allowed
2020 - 41 sacks allowed

quite obviously his offensive line blocking scheme is centered around tiring out the defense running untouched into the QB and hoping they injure themselves.

excellent goddamn hire
The standard is the standard. And I'm sure he'll be hired full-time OL coach shortly after the season ends.

SORRY to disapoint yaz but the new guy is an appointment from within................... so same ******* bullshit continum.

Salute the nation

Well, and I know, that’s a deep subject but seriously, it can’t all be thrown on Klemm. He’s responsible for most of it but look what the hell he was given to work with.
A center that played three games at that position at Illinois, a LT that was a fourth round pick, both rookies. A washed up dud at RG, a bum at RT, and a whose who at LG after Big Dot went down. Who in he hell thought it was a good idea to put a 39 year old statue behind that line has to have their football IQ tested.

Run game coordinator Holy **** that is rich. They better have a hell of a pass game coordinator. I actually thought this guy might get it going after the Browns win. Then it just cliffed.

Well, and I know, that’s a deep subject but seriously, it can’t all be thrown on Klemm. He’s responsible for most of it but look what the hell he was given to work with.
A center that played three games at that position at Illinois, a LT that was a fourth round pick, both rookies. A washed up dud at RG, a bum at RT, and a whose who at LG after Big Dot went down. Who in he hell thought it was a good idea to put a 39 year old statue behind that line has to have their football IQ tested.
He wasn't given much to work with, but did Dotson take a leap in his second year? I thought he was pretty average. Neither rookie showed much in terms of development. Moore has allowed the most sacks on the team and gives up a lot of pressures on a weekly basis. Green is a worse player now than he was at the start of the season. The only positive I heard about Klemm prior to the start of the season is he was key in developing young guys. Well, our young guys still aren't very good and did not inspire any hope moving into 2022.

Let's see what he can do. My guess is he will be dominated and controlled by Tomlin to keep doing the same things. Maybe we will be surprised. I doubt it.

He wasn't given much to work with, but did Dotson take a leap in his second year? I thought he was pretty average. Neither rookie showed much in terms of development. Moore has allowed the most sacks on the team and gives up a lot of pressures on a weekly basis. Green is a worse player now than he was at the start of the season. The only positive I heard about Klemm prior to the start of the season is he was key in developing young guys. Well, our young guys still aren't very good and did not inspire any hope moving into 2022.
Yep, as I said, he's responsible for most of it. It would have been interesting to see how a good OL coach would have handled that mess. As we all can agree on here, they have to invest on the OL and DL heavy in the draft and free agency. I still think there is hope for Dan Moore who I think a good OL coach could develop into a solid tackle, and I'll say the same for Big Dot, but we need a legit center, RG and RT badly.
On defense Cam is Cam, Tuitt who the hell knows but I'd bet he's seen his last days as a Steeler, Aloulu (spelling) may be back, I like Loudermilk and think he can be developed, Wormely ok for depth, the rest are just guys. We need new quality DL either through the draft and or free agency.

Yep, as I said, he's responsible for most of it. It would have been interesting to see how a good OL coach would have handled that mess. As we all can agree on here, they have to invest on the OL and DL heavy in the draft and free agency. I still think there is hope for Dan Moore who I think a good OL coach could develop into a solid tackle, and I'll say the same for Big Dot, but we need a legit center, RG and RT badly.
On defense Cam is Cam, Tuitt who the hell knows but I'd bet he's seen his last days as a Steeler, Aloulu (spelling) may be back, I like Loudermilk and think he can be developed, Wormely ok for depth, the rest are just guys. We need new quality DL either through the draft and or free agency.
I'll speculate a good offensive line coach may have placed a higher value on different offensive line prospects in the draft. I'm not sure a great offensive line coach throws them into the fire. I know they won those jobs in the preseason, but when you're raw, it probably would've been wise to ease them into the lineup.

Got to wonder how much input our position coaches have on draft picks. I can't think they consulted much with Klemm prior to the draft. I think its obviously our scouting department presenting their evaluations on players, Kevin Colbert and a lot of Mike Tomlin I think Tomlin has a lot more control than many here think and believe the guy is a control freak with his hands on everything. I don't know who or why there was thought in converting a guard to center in the NFL when that guy played only three games at center at Illinois, he's on the small side and not exceptionally strong. That decision Whomever made it really concerns me to think this was a good move.

Got to wonder how much input our position coaches have on draft picks. I can't think they consulted much with Klemm prior to the draft. I think its obviously our scouting department presenting their evaluations on players, Kevin Colbert and a lot of Mike Tomlin I think Tomlin has a lot more control than many here think and believe the guy is a control freak with his hands on everything. I don't know who or why there was thought in converting a guard to center in the NFL when that guy played only three games at center at Illinois, he's on the small side and not exceptionally strong. That decision Whomever made it really concerns me to think this was a good move.
There has to be some input as the coaches and scouts attend pro days. Klemm was at Green's pro day and Morgan was at Texas A&M's (Morgan was also at Oklahoma's). There is no doubt Tomlin and Colbert work as a partnership rather than isolation when it comes to personnel moves. I kinda chuckle when I see Colbert get blame for the talent on the roster when Tomlin is a big part of that process.

LOL, this is the worst line we've had in over a decade. Who gives a **** who's coaching them at this point? The best OL coach in football can't fix those bums this season.

Wait, I thought Todd Haley was to blame.

No, Dick Lebeau was to blame.

Hold up, Randy Fichtner was to blame.

God, if only we could figure out a common denominator to the declining performance, lack of playoff appearances, lack of playoff wins, lack of discipline the past 10 years. There HAS to be some other assistant coach to blame!!