• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Bowls

add Penn State CB Tariq Castro Fields to the opt outs. I have a roster up to watch this game. Hopefully PSU has some young WRs step up and they can score some points because it doesn;t seem like they'll be able to stop Arkansas offense with so many starters missing
I'd have to take a long look before drafting a player that opted out of a bowl game and let down their teammates. Too many players already in this league who are only in it for themselves.

I'd have to take a long look before drafting a player that opted out of a bowl game and let down their teammates. Too many players already in this league who are only in it for themselves.
Micah Parsons opted out of the 2020 season. Would you pass on him because he is a "me first" player? What about Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater?

Can anyone take these bowl games (outside playoffs) serious? I can't imaging boasting about supremacy when you could be playing against a team with half their defense out? Some of these bowl games are nothing more than exhibitions at this point.

Injury risk?
Career investment? Is it selfish of the player or the fans?

I sit on the fence with this one because a freak accident can happen and short a future nfl player on losing a career to make millions.

Can anyone take these bowl games (outside playoffs) serious? I can't imaging boasting about conference supremacy when you could be playing against a team with half their defense out? Some of these bowl games are nothing more than exhibitions at this point.
Exhibitions and good for young players to get reps against opponents they normally don’t see.

I enjoy the bowl games personally and it’s good exposure for universities to attract potential students. Conferences who don’t get the big tv deals benefit a lot from these bowl games

Exhibitions and good for young players to get reps against opponents they normally don’t see.

I enjoy the bowl games personally and it’s good exposure for universities to attract potential students. Conferences who don’t get the big tv deals benefit a lot from these bowl games
As exhibitions, but if you're playing a team with half their best out maybe no benefit of bumping in the rankings if you win? I wouldn't pay for a ticket to these....it's like the Blue/White spring game. Would still like to see my team win but no expectations.

As exhibitions, but if you're playing a team with half their best out maybe no benefit of bumping in the rankings if you win? I wouldn't pay for a ticket to these....it's like the Blue/White spring game. Would still like to see my team win but no expectations.
I don’t think these games are more so football driven. Aside from young players getting reps

They help the schools that normally don’t get tv exposure get that exposure. It’s more business than pageantry.

Micah Parsons opted out of the 2020 season. Would you pass on him because he is a "me first" player? What about Penei Sewell or Rashawn Slater?
I didn't say I would pass but I'd have to scrutinize them a little further to see the overall attitude behind it. Aside from Willis McGhahee, what other high profile players have suffered serious injury in a bowl game that affected their draft status?

we can apply these concepts to any team/league.

The Steelers and the cowboys for example don’t need winning seasons. Their legacy is built. They draw in revenue based off name alone.

Now the nfl pimps out say the rams. Move them back to los angeles, ensure contending seasons to draw in fan interest. It’s all about creating a revenue foundation. These schools think as a businessman not a hardcore passionate fan like us

I do think too many guys are opting out now. I understand the guy who is a no doubt high first rounder but now it seems most players who think they will be drafted at all are opting out. Many of them could help their stock with a big bowl game.

I also understand a RB opting out more than other positions because that postiion has higher injury risk than most. But an OT should play. A pocket QB should play.

Ja'Marr Chase as well. Chase and Parsons are going to be the offensive and defensive rookies of the year.

It sucks that they bunch up these early bowls to be played at the same time all so they can have the Rose Bowl alone at 5.

Parsons opted out of the whole season due to covid. If you remember at that time the Big Ten had cancelled their whole season. Then after the SEC and others were playing and the Big got criticized, they changed their mind and played a shortened season. At that point Parsons had already made his decision.

Good points. I have to see where their value is. And competition faced in their tenure vs production.Etc.. If a player already has a knock against them say a one year wonder then I am leaning toward knocking them down a round or 2. Like for another example Pickett in his past showed a high Int to TD ratio and arguably had one above average year. Then he opts out. To me I had questions if he truly is a round 1 value then he added the opt out to the equation. I would love to see him compete.Now I prefer to take him only if he slid to round 2. As they really need to hit on the round 1pick.

Coaches move programs. Every man for himself. If a team is playing for national title I'd say that would be tough. But a bowl? Take care of yourself.

For as many high end recruits Penn State gets, they really need to improve the QB situation. Clifford isn't very good and I know they don't have anything behind him.

Surprised it took Ark so long to just run the ball up the middle nearly every play. PSU backups played pretty well in the first half but the 80 heat isn't helping things either.

I don't think he'll start from game 1 but probably by the end of the year. Few true freshmen QBs start from day 1.
They actually have two good QB recruits coming. Plus, Villieux is in the mix as well. QB room should be much better next season. Now if the OL room improves. A lot.

Tough year for Penn State fans. I expect the defense to be strong next year as it normally is, and if these QB's coming in you guys are talking about can make a difference who knows how far they can go. I thought the OL showed improvement and the skills positions will be solid.

Tough year for Penn State fans. I expect the defense to be strong next year as it normally is, and if these QB's coming in you guys are talking about can make a difference who knows how far they can go. I thought the OL showed improvement and the skills positions will be solid.
Yeah, but they have Tomlin 2.0 for coach and just gave him a massive extension. Clifford coming back next year just makes it more likely that one of those top recruited QBs will enter the transfer protocol. They'll have their standard 8 - 4 or 7 - 5 season and lose to every ranked team they play.