• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Comments/articles about Pgh final 53

Lloyd

Reaction score
I know I can't post links from other sources here so I will paraphrase what's out there. After the 53-player list from Pgh has been out.....

1.) The WR group is still weak as hell, especially if there are any injuries to the starting 2 WRs. We can repeat all we want about a Smith O not needing more than 1 WR, but even if that were partially true, this couldn't have been the plan for the team heading into the 2024 season. Pickens and who? Whatever the plan WAS, it had to contain more WR skills than what we ended up with. The weakness of our WRs could haunt us all of 2024.

2.) The OL is NOT up to par, not as of right now. Is Moore NOT listed as our starting LT for the 4th year in a row, after being cited as THE weakest starting LT in the entire league for ALL of his 1st 3 seasons? We are actually going with Moore AGAIN? And we are not only low at OT talent but with Seumola out, we are weak at OG as weak and that is ALL with a rookie starting at C? What a gad dang mess. What do we expect? It's a Tomlin team, of course it's gonna be weak at OL: A LT who should be a backup at best, a LG who shouldn't be playing, a rookie at C and a RT who should be at LT. Brilliant.

3.) Weak CBs overall. Yea, Joey Porter and who else? Yikes.

4.) Only 3 OLBs. Drop some weight, again, Leal.

5.) Is this team really any better than 2023? I mean honestly? Can it match 10 wins?

Last edited:
The weakness in WR depth WILL haunt us.

I know I can't post links from other sources here so I will paraphrase what's out there. After the 53-player list from Pgh has been out.....

1.) The WR group is still weak as hell, especially if there are any injuries to the starting 2 WRs. We can repeat all we want about a Smith O not needing more than 1 WR, but even if that were partially true, this couldn't have been the plan for the team heading into the 2024 season. Pickens and who? Whatever the plan WAS, it had to contain more WR skills than what we ended up with. The weakness of our WRs could haunt us all of 2024.

2.) The OL is NOT up to par, not as of right now. Is Moore NOT listed as our starting LT for the 4th year in a row, after being cited as THE weakest starting LT in the entire league for ALL of his 1st 3 seasons? We are actually going with Moore AGAIN? And we are not only low at OT talent but with Seumola out, we are weak at OG as weak and that is ALL with a rookie starting at C? What a gad dang mess. What do we expect? It's a Tomlin team, of course it's gonna be weak at OL: A LT who should be a backup at best, a LG who shouldn't be playing, a rookie at C and a RT who should be at LT. Brilliant.

5.) Is this team really any better than 2023? I mean honestly? Can it match 10 wins?
To your points...

1. Bottom 4 unit in the entire league. They'll really need Freiermuth and the RBs to step up in the passing game.

2. The Seumalo injury is significant. That's taking probably the Steelers best lineman off the field. Jones lack of progress is a big disappointment as well.

3. Fautanu was close to a no-brainer pick....but man, there were some really good cornerbacks that could've given the Steelers a very talented 1-2 duo.

4. Disappointed Golden didn't play one more year. I would be surprised if they don't add another OLB because they like to substitute. Is Leal seriously going to play the position?

5. They have a QB capable of throwing TD passes, so that's a pretty big upgrade. Queen is a huge addition to the defense as well. Matt Canada is not in the coaching box. Yes, this team is better than last year, however it doesn't mean they'll necessarily win more games.

Not 1 thing positive? sounds about right

i see the defense as being better than last year because i feel we will possess the ball more on offense. I also feel we have more of a chance to actually score on offense even with the lack of WR.
I believe you must feel this way because:

1.) Improved play calling/OC.
2.) Improved QB.

Because at least to start, it's not from an improved OL, that seems weaker than ever.

2.) Improved QB.

Because at least to start, it's not from an improved OL, that seems weaker than ever.
I am definitely worried about the line but i have faith 😂

The Moore hate I do not get. The guy has worked hard, really changed his body, and has turned himself into a solid LT. He has been put in difficult situations and never pissed and moaned. Pro Bowl guy, no. But a solid guy you can win with.

The book is far but written on Broderick Jones. But I wonder if in a few years we will look back at that one and wonder if he was necessary and maybe they should have gone in another direction. Nothing against Jones as much as I think Moore will be pretty good at LT, certainly good enough to win with. But I wonder if now with the receiver issue they have, or corner issue or DL, maybe something like that, and stay with Fatanu this year.

2.) Improved QB.

i am looking at the team broken down:

Offense
Line -1 down from last year
qb +1 from last year
rb 0 no change
wr -1 down from last year, but i feel we have enough wr to get the job done

Defense
Line 0 not much change here ( possible they could be better with better Run stopping MLB)
Lbs +1
Db 0 not much difference here

IMO i think we are a better team collectively, if we can score we will be a harder team to beat.

The Moore hate I do not get. The guy has worked hard, really changed his body, and has turned himself into a solid LT. He has been put in difficult situations and never pissed and moaned. Pro Bowl guy, no. But a solid guy you can win with.
Moore is a decent run blocker but was PFF's worst-rated pass blocking tackle in the entire NFL last season. That matches the eye test with what we see just about every week. That's why he gets hate.

Moore is a decent run blocker but was PFF's worst-rated pass blocking tackle in the entire NFL last season. That matches the eye test with what we see just about every week. That's why he gets hate.
Are you sure? Steeler QBs were sacked 36 times last year. San Francisco QBs were sacked 34. KC's 27. Eagles 39. Ravens 41. Lions 31. Cowboys 40. Texans 49.

All those teams didn't have the dumpster fire that was the Steeler offense with it's predictability, and they are pretty similar numbers. Myles Garrett, the NFL MVP (bullshiit) had only 2 in 2 games against the Steelers.

Hopefully, we are gonna see a grown up offense now with the Steelers. If that is the case, I'll bet Moore looks a lot better. I think the guy gets a bad rap, for whatever reason. It ain't his fault he was thrown out there with that shiity offense, with a QB that seemed to escape into sacks. Like it really wasn't Green's fault he couldn't play center. Dumb coaching.

I know they wear the same number, but he reminds me a little of John Jackson. And it ain't just the number. It took Jackson a while to get it together. He became a damn solid LT. I don't recall he ever made a pro bowl, but he was a good player.

Are you sure? Steeler QBs were sacked 36 times last year. San Francisco QBs were sacked 34. KC's 27. Eagles 39. Ravens 41. Lions 31. Cowboys 40. Texans 49.

All those teams didn't have the dumpster fire that was the Steeler offense with it's predictability, and they are pretty similar numbers. Myles Garrett, the NFL MVP (bullshiit) had only 2 in 2 games against the Steelers.

Hopefully, we are gonna see a grown up offense now with the Steelers. If that is the case, I'll bet Moore looks a lot better. I think the guy gets a bad rap, for whatever reason. It ain't his fault he was thrown out there with that shiity offense, with a QB that seemed to escape into sacks. Like it really wasn't Green's fault he couldn't play center. Dumb coaching.

I know they wear the same number, but he reminds me a little of John Jackson. And it ain't just the number. It took Jackson a while to get it together. He became a damn solid LT. I don't recall he ever made a pro bowl, but he was a good player.
He led the team in sacks allowed. I watch him struggle in pass protection quite often, so yes, from my point of view I am sure. Sure he can start at LT, I just wouldn't call him solid. He's below average.

Steelers spent the last 2 #1s on guys who played LT in college.

I do not recall anyone in this site or any other suggesting that was not a good idea; because Moore has played below average his entire career.

LT is the marquee OL spot on every other NFL team; Steelers got lucky with Villanueva's athleticism; otherwise they have neglected this position since Marvel Smith (average) left.

When the team signals -- twice -- that it needs a better solution than Moore, it not on those observers here at SN to simply say, well Moore had a great off-season, let's let the 2 #1s ride pine while he improves from #32 LT to#28LT.

The team handled the position poorly for years, then used huge draft capital to address LT and now have the problem -- Moore -- as the solution, at least short term.

I mean WTF?

I am definitely worried about the line but i have faith 😂
Just like all young lines fans will need to be patient as they settle into their roles.

I do not recall anyone in this site or any other suggesting that was not a good idea; because Moore has played below average his entire career.

LT is the marquee OL spot on every other NFL team; Steelers got lucky with Villanueva's athleticism; otherwise they have neglected this position since Marvel Smith (average) left.

When the team signals -- twice -- that it needs a better solution than Moore, it not on those observers here at SN to simply say, well Moore had a great off-season, let's let the 2 #1s ride pine while he improves from #32 LT to#28LT.

The team handled the position poorly for years, then used huge draft capital to address LT and now have the problem -- Moore -- as the solution, at least short term.

I mean WTF?
Right. The team signals exactly that, but then keeps playing Moore. It makes no sense. I disagree about below average. He is better than that. Again, no superstar, but I just don't buy below average. I think Moore gets a lot of shrapnel from the frustration with Tomlin and the coaching staff.

But I am with you. They invested that capital, play Jones where he oughta be. Quit dicking him around. I do think Moore is getting better though.

Right. The team signals exactly that, but then keeps playing Moore. It makes no sense. I disagree about below average. He is better than that. Again, no superstar, but I just don't buy below average. I think Moore gets a lot of shrapnel from the frustration with Tomlin and the coaching staff.

But I am with you. They invested that capital, play Jones where he oughta be. Quit dicking him around. I do think Moore is getting better though.
For the past 3 seasons, the Steelers should have had a better LT and been teaching Moore the RT and LG positions.
That is talent management error.

The book is far but written on Broderick Jones. But I wonder if in a few years we will look back at that one and wonder if he was necessary and maybe they should have gone in another direction. Nothing against Jones as much as I think Moore will be pretty good at LT, certainly good enough to win with. But I wonder if now with the receiver issue they have, or corner issue or DL, maybe something like that, and stay with Fatanu this year.
A "solid" guy? He didn't even make PFF's top 32 tackles in 2023. Moore is garbage.

I've never paid an ounce of attention to Pro Football Focus. I seen guys talk about it on here, and it seems like some hate it. I don't kniw if it's bullshiit or not.

I've watched Moore, too. He is not garbage. Here's the thing. With all the bitching about the offense the last few years, and rightfully so, how can anyone make an accurate assessment of a player. It's like judging someone's balance in an earthquake.

Regarding Moore- If Troy was not injured during training camp, I doubt he starts the opener. Hopefully BJ get to the Left and Troy gets to the right.

Moore will be a valuable backup to have cheap.

I mean WTF?

Add in that they are ****-ing up Jones’ Developement as well. Right and Left tackle are not switches that can just be turned on or off at a whim. We moved up in the 1st to acquire Jones and our moron coaching hasn’t used him proper from day one.

Why is coaching “protecting” Dan Moore? True, he is a great person & team mate but not that great of a LT (currently). Is he good enough to set Jones back 3 years???

Coaching is creating holes, not filling them.

Salute the nation

I've never paid an ounce of attention to Pro Football Focus. I seen guys talk about it on here, and it seems like some hate it. I don't kniw if it's bullshiit or not.

I've watched Moore, too. He is not garbage. Here's the thing. With all the bitching about the offense the last few years, and rightfully so, how can anyone make an accurate assessment of a player. It's like judging someone's balance in an earthquake.
I know what you're saying except for this: I have been monitoring Moore's rankings since he was drafted. He is always at the bottom of the list for starting LTs, without exception, in several sources that do the ranking. From his year 1 to year 3, he's consistently ranked at the bottom of the list. And the lists are comprised of passing protection and rush blocking stats. He is near/at the bottom of the list for giving up sacks, every year. This is a real # that makes for credible stats. Any yet, he still remains our starting LT, STILL. This is an example of a Tomlin fail. He's been on "team Moore" since day 1 and refuses to give up on him, just like he refused to give up on Canada as OC and Harvin as P. He had to be forced to give up on those favs of his.

I know what you're saying except for this: I have been monitoring Moore's rankings since he was drafted. He is always at the bottom of the list for starting LTs, without exception, in several sources that do the ranking. From his year 1 to year 3, he's consistently ranked at the bottom of the list. And the lists are comprised of passing protection and rush blocking stats. He is near/at the bottom of the list for giving up sacks, every year. This is a real # that makes for credible stats. Any yet, he still remains our starting LT, STILL. This is an example of a Tomlin fail. He's been on "team Moore" since day 1 and refuses to give up on him, just like he refused to give up on Canada as OC and Harvin as P. He had to be forced to give up on those favs of his.
I'm sure he hasn't been ranked well, for whatever that is worth. But for his 3 years, they had monumentally crappy offense.

Look, you may very well be right. I just like his toughness, he hasn't whined and complained, and he works. I kinda root for the guy because of that.