• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Derek Chauvin Trial

< Turns to "Defining and Using Your Own Logic" in Tibs Playbook >

Defense: "In your opinion was this a use of deadly force?"

Barry Brodd (use of force expert): "It was not. An resister handcuffed or not, should to to the ground into a prone controlled position."

Case Closed. Release Officer POShauvin.

There are people all over social media insisting that this couldn't have been a mistake, she shot him on purpose.

Let's look at the logic of that. 26 years on the force and she just up and decided to intentionally kill someone that day due to her long simmering hate for black people. In the 2 or 3 seconds between when an uneventful arrest turned into someone wrestling and trying to flee, she concocted a scheme to yell Taser! Taser! so that she could, in full view of her body cam, intentionally shoot and kill this young man and pretend she was trying to tase him. Of course the aftermath is quite pleasant for her isn't it? She's fired, will probably be prosecuted and her career and life are basically over. But it was all worth it just for the pleasure of killing this one black guy after 26 years on the force and possibly get away with it by calling it an accident.

Somebody finally sees the depths of racism in the white man, uhh, woman. FINALLY.

Anecdotal tidbit, I'm pulling out of my neighborhood in Phoenix and approaching a main surface street this morning. As I get closer to the intersection, I see a police cruiser with its lights flashing, having pulled someone over, two officers and the driver of the car standing in between the vehicles. The driver is 6 inches in front of one of the officers, visibly upset and pointing his finger in the officers face. And yes the driver was black, and apparently not very bright. Now I have no way of knowing if he was "profiled" or not, but was thinking this could end badly for that fellow. I just don't understand how people can be so damn stupid.

even if it grates you on the inside, "Yes, sir", "No, sir", "please" and "thank you" has to give you a greater chance of going home after a stop. If you are combative or try to flee, then your chances decrease by a ton. If anything the MN shooting shows is that even a 26-year vet can make a mistake when they have to make a split second decision in a tense situation. I'm sure many will tell me otherwise, but it seems like common sense.

nice post, oftb! I basically said something simliar in the Daunte Wright thread. It's not a race issue, it's a fleeing/deadly mistake by the officer comnbination, but the narrative is already out in the media and on the streets. I suspect if I tried to flee in my car in that situation and that cop pulled her "taser" out, I'd be dead, too and I'm not black.
I think one big gaffe is that she was a 26-year vet. That's a long time on the job to make that mistake between a taser and firearm that resulted in someone's death. How anyone could think it was done out of malice is a moron.
Yes, she's a 26 year vet, but that doesn't mean she has been on the streets doing patrol for 26 years. Police officers are assigned to all kinds of duty. Hell, she could have been a school resource officer most of her career or some **** like that. She may have only been on the street for a month, and that would pretty much throw that 26 year vet **** out the window. I don't know if any of that is the case. But having 26 years as a police officer doesn't mean 26 years on the street doing patrols.

Anecdotal tidbit, I'm pulling out of my neighborhood in Phoenix and approaching a main surface street this morning. As I get closer to the intersection, I see a police cruiser with its lights flashing, having pulled someone over, two officers and the driver of the car standing in between the vehicles. The driver is 6 inches in front of one of the officers, visibly upset and pointing his finger in the officers face. And yes the driver was black, and apparently not very bright. Now I have no way of knowing if he was "profiled" or not, but was thinking this could end badly for that fellow. I just don't understand how people can be so damn stupid.
Riding into work this morning, and in Spring Lake there was about 10 cop cars and a dead body on the sidewalk in front of the Sonic. Not sure of the cops shot him or not, or if the person was hit by a car or what. But a crowd was starting to gather, so I'm guessing this is about to take on a life of its own.

Riding into work this morning, and in Spring Lake there was about 10 cop cars and a dead body on the sidewalk in front of the Sonic. Not sure of the cops shot him or not, or if the person was hit by a car or what. But a crowd was starting to gather, so I'm guessing this is about to take on a life of its own.
Only if the dead guy is a black criminal.

Yes, she's a 26 year vet, but that doesn't mean she has been on the streets doing patrol for 26 years. Police officers are assigned to all kinds of duty. Hell, she could have been a school resource officer most of her career or some **** like that. She may have only been on the street for a month, and that would pretty much throw that 26 year vet **** out the window. I don't know if any of that is the case. But having 26 years as a police officer doesn't mean 26 years on the street doing patrols.
Yea, well, that's all fine and dandy if true, but it's not and tell that to the prosecuter while she was field training a rookie officer.

Back to the Chauvin trial:

During the final day of testimony in the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, the medical expert for the prosecution, Dr. Martin Tobin, stated that deceased serial felon George Floyd had 98 percent oxygen saturation in his lungs following his death.

“’It was 98 percent saturated with oxygen when they measured it at Hennepin County Medical Center and that was 9.16pm,” Tobin said to the court. This is a normal level of oxygen in a person’s lung, making it very unlikely that he was deprived of oxygen while being restrained by Chauvin.

But wait, just 98% is abnormal, right? Yeah, no. Per the noted far right extremist site, "Lung Institute of America":

Monitoring your Oxygen Levels

Normal oxygen saturation levels range from 95 to 100 percent. Anything under 90 percent is considered low. In general, anyone having levels below 90 percent at rest should explore their options for supplemental oxygen therapy with their primary care doctor.

Huh. So asphyxiated with lungs full of oxygen. Will wHyTe So0PremMaSee recognize no limits?

Is there something mentally wrong with you? How was the cop physically able to shoot or tase anyone in this situation? I'm sure if he could have he would have. You can see him at one point frantically trying to grab around his belt for a weapon with his free hand while his other hand was stuck in the window and he was being jerked around by a truck.

OFTB, the simple fact is that Decaf IS that stupid. Almost impossible to believe, yes, but he genuinely believes that police officers shoot people based on skin color.

Body cam disproves it? Decaf does not care.
Video disproves it? Decaf does not care.
FBI crime data disproves it? Decaf does not care.
More video disproves it? Decaf does not care.
Evidence a 3rd grader would realize disproves his entire thesis? Decaf does not care.

Decaf: stupid, wrong, biased, dumb, uninformed, ignorant buttplug douchenozzle race-baiting, unemployed barista.

one situation is not a blanket answer for all instances. How is a cop hanging on to a moving vehicle remotely similar to the Brooklyn incident? The only contrast is the skin color of the driver. Nice try, though. We have another case in that I would ask, "what would you do in that situation? Could you hang on to the moving truck while drawing your weapon?" This is real life, not the movies. A lot of armchair cops think they can do it better or has a solution when handling criminals. Get out there and do it yourself.

I know we have closing arguments on Monday, but based on what I've heard of the testimony (and granted, it is being filtered by a very liberal and bias media), I think he gets manslaughter as least.

I thought the defense would put up a lot more expert witnesses to create doubt in the jury, but their 8 choices seemed a bit below par. Maybe many experts are just staying away from this trial with a 10' pole so the choices were slim on their side. But I just think, as of right now, the 38 witnesses the prosecution called >>> the 8 the defense called.

Even if there is doubt in one or two jurists, I don't think they come back with not guilty on all counts. No way.

Honestly, I think justice will be served. When I first watched the video, I thought the cop was wrong. When I watched the whole police cam video, it explained a lot, but it still comes down to kneeling on a suspect for much too long while he was completely incapacitated and (for a while) even unconscious. That's wrong. And when that leads to someone's death, no matter how little responsible (even if it was only 10-20% the reason), you should be held accountable.

No matter the outcome, what's the over/under on cities burning, err, mostly peaceful protests in the following weeks?

Anyone in the Minneapolis area just remember to discourage an advancing mob aim low for the first couple of rounds. Aim just below the the belt line about an inch in from the hip. You are trying to break the pelvis and this instantly immobilizes them. They will go down in a screaming bleeding heap and this may deter the rest after a few go down.

I know we have closing arguments on Monday, but based on what I've heard of the testimony (and granted, it is being filtered by a very liberal and bias media), I think he gets manslaughter as least.

I thought the defense would put up a lot more expert witnesses to create doubt in the jury, but their 8 choices seemed a bit below par. Maybe many experts are just staying away from this trial with a 10' pole so the choices were slim on their side. But I just think, as of right now, the 38 witnesses the prosecution called >>> the 8 the defense called.

Even if there is doubt in one or two jurists, I don't think they come back with not guilty on all counts. No way.

Honestly, I think justice will be served. When I first watched the video, I thought the cop was wrong. When I watched the whole police cam video, it explained a lot, but it still comes down to kneeling on a suspect for much too long while he was completely incapacitated and (for a while) even unconscious. That's wrong. And when that leads to someone's death, no matter how little responsible (even if it was only 10-20% the reason), you should be held accountable.
Agreed in this case..
But the constant outcry and demonizing of law enforcement overall is sickening and downright frightening for the long term future of our society

Law Enforcement should go on a wildcat strike...especially in the Big Cities.

That might change some opinions...
Black folks don't have a problem calling the police on white people for some perceived offense.