• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Documentary "White People" being shown to my 8th Grader

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
WWSND? I've previously met with the school administration and the teacher about my son's 8th grade race relations course at the beginning of the year. I specifically said I'd oppose any white-privilege teachings in the class.

The teacher is making the class watch the controversial MTV Documentary, "White People," which pushes the notion of White Privilege. I'm strongly of the mindset that you do not fix race relations through efforts such as white-shaming. It just increases racial divide and hatred towards whites, while not bridging the gap between races. It does not advance race relations. It exacerbates the problem as evidenced in the increase in hate crimes towards whites, police officers, etc.

Appreciate any collective thoughts before I re-approach the administration.

Video below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_zjj1PmJcRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You might want to consider going to the media with the story. If not your local newspaper, then a conservative outlet or blog.

I would definitely lodge a complaint with the state Department of Education at the least. Beyond that, I'm not sure how I'd react. Definitely a conversation to have with your child.

When I was in junior high I lived in a majority Hispanic town. I know exactly what being the only white person in a room, class, etc. I also know exactly what being harassed for my race feels like. I lived in Denver where at school I was bullied and threatenend in the middle of my classes while the teacher ignored it. This documentary is totally off base.

I have never, ever felt that the world is at my feet because I am white. Such bullshit.

I saw the documentary and I agree that it's not helpful to the overall conversation of race relations as a whole. It's one of those things that's only going to make people who identify with the people in the documentary be defensive about it and make people who already have bias towards those people probably have just as much if not more bias. It's divisive. That being said........if this is talked about in that way while it's shown and it's shown with other documentaries that also show OTHER bias then it could be useful. That is probably not going to happen here as I am sure the teacher is probably not that sophisticated. That's more of a college course approach. The problem with topics like white privilege and minority suffrage is that by nature they are constructs. These are things that are built into society already and you can't shame a person into denying what's around them. You do need to talk about the constructs though......why they exist, and why they continue to exist.

I don't blame you for being skeptical of this ****. I would ask them if they plan on showing documentaries that cover the other constructs as well and if they plan on discussing those too.

Don't blame you for having and voicing a concern with this. No place in the classroom for attempted brainwashing.

8th grade race relations course? Definitely not the job of jr. high or high schools. I can only imagine what a course like that, led by those teachers, would be like.

I'm not sure what I would do if I saw that course on my 8th grader's curriculum, but it would happen before I saw what stupid movies they had to watch.

Will the teacher also show this graphic to the class?

10428075_1422566174730337_4590820973436578989_n.jpg

I guess since you've already been labeled as conservative and possibly a "troublemaker " I think I would start with the school board. It might not hurt to spark some media interest. This social engineering crap needs to end pronto.

My child would not go that day if they continue to show it. I'd also ensure my local news gets wind. Who knows how th ywould spin it, air it etc but my view....the more attention a school gets about a heated topic, they usually try to remove it or change it. See having Christmas trees or decorations in schools. They gone.

Don't blame you for having and voicing a concern with this. No place in the classroom for attempted brainwashing.

Most anything can be counter-acted with good parenting, such as asking Socratic questions about what he/she saw, allowing them to think through the propaganda. They don't teach critical thinking at schools any more, so make sure they get a dose at home.

I sent the following tonight to the principal, the asst principal, the teacher and the head of the English curriculum (the sponsor):

-------------------------

Ms. Teacher,

I hope the holiday season finds you well.

SON shared with me that you have begun airing the controversial MTV Documentary entitled "White People." I have watched the documentary and I have read about it as well.

As mentioned in September in my prior correspondence, I have a problem with the notion of teaching about or communicating the idea of "white privilege" during this course. This documentary spends a solid portion (albeit not all of the documentary) of its time discussing the notion of white privilege.

I am a firm believer that in order to address race relations, we must lift each other up and learn to see each other as equals. Teaching white privilege foments hate and disdain. It excuses hard work and dedication of those that that aren't minorities. And I believe it is leading to an increase in hate crimes.

I would prefer that "White People" not be shown in your class. SON has mentioned to me that you've watched about 10 minutes of it. He's shared his concerns with what he's watched so far, and on a good note it prompted a good conversation between us tonight.

If you deem it necessary to finish the airing of "White People," I would ask that SON be excused from classes on those days.

Many thanks,

Tim

------------------------

We will see how they respond.

When I was in junior high I lived in a majority Hispanic town. I know exactly what being the only white person in a room, class, etc. I also know exactly what being harassed for my race feels like. I lived in Denver where at school I was bullied and threatenend in the middle of my classes while the teacher ignored it. This documentary is totally off base.

I have never, ever felt that the world is at my feet because I am white. Such bullshit.

Hispanics can be rude. I'm half hispanic, and I remember the craziest racial slurs at whites and natives in high school. I've noticed in lower income culture just how close minded people can be. No courtesy, respect towards those around them. Eh, life is good though. The liberal/welfare culture is weakening

Most anything can be counter-acted with good parenting, such as asking Socratic questions about what he/she saw, allowing them to think through the propaganda. They don't teach critical thinking at schools any more, so make sure they get a dose at home.

Agreed

Hispanics can be rude. I'm half hispanic, and I remember the craziest racial slurs at whites and natives in high school. I've noticed in lower income culture just how close minded people can be. No courtesy, respect towards those around them. Eh, life is good though. The liberal/welfare culture is weakening

So true. The higher income people can be just as rude. I think it depends on the persons heart. No racial bs. Are you good and eager to help others or are you angry and inclined to hurt others?

Since when is MTV considered the standard to which we hold documentaries?

We are all going in the dirt when it's all said and done. All colors from the richest to dirt poor get the same fate.

Update: Teacher called me this morning. Couldn't answer. We are speaking live at 11:50AM. She simply said she'd be happy to speak during her free time today, and that if she didn't hear from me, she would be excusing SON to the media center as they were planning to watch another segment of the documentary today.

The whole idea of white privilege is indoctrination. If they can catch a young white kids early enough they can use it as a control mechanism. They can get these kids to believe and go along with anything they say regarding race if they can guilt them into thinking that the only reason they have anything at all is because they're white. They literally want to instill the idea that these kids who have a clean safe homes, with clothes and food only have it because they're white and such things are handed out to white people. Not that their parents made the correct decisions and work hard to earn these things but they simply got them because they're white. If they can make these kids believe this they can guilt them into things like believing Racial set aside in affirmative-action are A-OK.