• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dont count out Big Dan just yet

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8... he's a role player at best.

Value is 3rd and 4th and short, or when facing a team with very powerful G/C/G

Nothing wrong with being a role player as long as he does his job..nothing wrong with it all

Nothing wrong with being a role player as long as he does his job..nothing wrong with it all

True, but his role is limited. For a player his height with 36" arms, he should be able to learn how to swat passes. McCullers doesn't seem to have anything but a bull rush. Yes, he can dominate his man, but lacks the stamina to anything but a flash in the pan.

I view him as a good 1-2 inning relief pitcher for certain situations in the game. And the way the game is going, Nose Tackles are becoming less relevant unless they can make plays vs the run or pass.

True, but his role is limited. For a player his height with 36" arms, he should be able to learn how to swat passes. McCullers doesn't seem to have anything but a bull rush. Yes, he can dominate his man, but lacks the stamina to anything but a flash in the pan.

I view him as a good 1-2 inning relief pitcher for certain situations in the game. And the way the game is going, Nose Tackles are becoming less relevant unless they can make plays vs the run or pass.

We shall see I don't pretend to know his limits or his highs as a player. 3rd year hopefully he can provide some valuable playing time when in

Great read on just how far Big Dan has come, thanks antdrewjosh. Really excited to see what he and Hargrave can do as a 1-2 punch.

Truthfully in the run game I do like what I see from Big Dan vs the Grave Digger. But I feel the way Hargrave performed in camp and preseason he deserved the nod. I think McCullers is more of a bull rusher who will eat up blocks and clog the middle. I think Hargrave is so quick he just disrupts the front line and penetrates. He can hold the point decent but not great. But I feel McCullers is going to be an improvement of McLendon and a much cheaper version.

It's good to have two capable NTs. Casey had Chris Hoke, Grave Digger will have BIG Dan. Definately an upgrade from last year.

Salute the nation

It's good to have two capable NTs. Casey had Chris Hoke, Grave Digger will have BIG Dan. Definately an upgrade from last year. Salute the nation
Agreed IRON City, this is a big step up from last year. I think the combo of these two guys will really help shore up the interior of that line. With the bookends that we have, this has the makings of a special D-line. Just praying everyone stays healthy long enough to develop some cohesion. Adding Ricardo Mathews seems to be a solid move at this early stage, perhaps he gets worked in a bit to give Tuitt & Cam a breather. Still waiting to see what we have in LT Walton, but I like what I'm seeing from this group.

When I know what you will say before I even read it about a player, your opinion starts to minimize to me. Its like many of the people in religion and politics. When I know what your viewpoint on a given topic will be before I read it, it is worthless.

Agreed IRON City, this is a big step up from last year. I think the combo of these two guys will really help shore up the interior of that line. With the bookends that we have, this has the makings of a special D-line. Just praying everyone stays healthy long enough to develop some cohesion. Adding Ricardo Mathews seems to be a solid move at this early stage, perhaps he gets worked in a bit to give Tuitt & Cam a breather. Still waiting to see what we have in LT Walton, but I like what I'm seeing from this group.

Tibs, you nailed it. Our defensive front has been a weakness in the past. Steadily improving and now on the verge of being good, I mean really good. Injuries are the main probable. If uncle Jarvis can step up his play, that would really help. ROCK on "D"

Salute the nation

I like Big Dan. If he took fitness a bit more seriously. He could be dominant. The dude is freakish strong, as stated a few post above; a great bull rush but low stamina. Some guys just don't realize their potential. Hope someone on the team can get it through his head

Of course his role is limited. That's what makes him a role player. He will stop the run, and on 3rd and long, he will leave the field for a 2 DL set. You can still start and scheme with this player on your roster.