• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

El Paso TX Mass Shooting; 19 Dead, 40 Injured at Walmart

While I understand your sentiment and even kind of agree with it, we simply cannot do that. It removes due process rights, and to me, that is far more dangerous than a crazy person or racist with a gun. Now once they are tried, convicted and have exhausted their appeals, I can't see a point in keeping them alive in prison for 35 years.

It's not a deterrent anyway, most of these shooters go into this expecting to die. Threats of death aren't going to stop it.

While I understand your sentiment and even kind of agree with it, we simply cannot do that. It removes due process rights, and to me, that is far more dangerous than a crazy person or racist with a gun. Now once they are tried, convicted and have exhausted their appeals, I can't see a point in keeping them alive in prison for 35 years.

yes, I know we can't do that, it was more of my emotions talking than rational thought.

The only way I think we can reduce this problem is identifying these people and trying to intervene before it happens. The common threads seem to be they are loners and outcasts, they've mostly shown signs of rage and hatred before, many of them come from dysfunctional, broken families. Where does the rage and hate come from, that's what we need to focus on. Find these people and try to treat them, but most of all, monitor their activities. If a kid has hitlists and talks about raping and skinning people that kid should be compelled to be in some kind of ongoing treatment and monitoring or else face confinement. We aren't going to stop this simply by eliminating the current weapons of choice.

I assume you are talking about the Dayton shooter here. That dude wasn't a racist or white supremacist. And if he was, that isn't what compelled him to commit mass murder. That dude was completely off the rails, man. Kill lists and rape lists, evil dark demented thoughts about killing. That dude had mental health issues. Period.

The only real action that can be taken is a full ban on guns. And it won't work. Not in America. There is trade in as much illegal **** as there is in legal goods, and guns are a part of that. You will never get rid of guns in America. It's a fantasy, a pipe dream.

If and when they do ban guns, I hope they videotape when they go into major American cities to disarm criminals and gangs. I want to see how that goes.

The left is happy now, they have their white shooter they can blame Trump with for the next year and demand anything they want

Beto "Australian gun control on the table"

Beto is a dumbass! He would try to find a political angle if someone swatted a flea. He doesn't want Trump in El Paso, but if he didn't go, he would whine like a school child. Whatever way the wind is blowing, Beto is sure to side with.

Beto is as simple as 2nd Grade math, nobody gives AF what he thinks.

He's not the only one, every Dem candidate is calling for more gun control.

Of course even if they get something it will never be enough till they get a total ban and confiscation of all guns

The only way I think we can reduce this problem is identifying these people and trying to intervene before it happens. The common threads seem to be they are loners and outcasts, they've mostly shown signs of rage and hatred before, many of them come from dysfunctional, broken families. Where does the rage and hate come from, that's what we need to focus on. Find these people and try to treat them, but most of all, monitor their activities. If a kid has hitlists and talks about raping and skinning people that kid should be compelled to be in some kind of ongoing treatment and monitoring or else face confinement. We aren't going to stop this simply by eliminating the current weapons of choice.

And this is the crux of the situation. Mental health treatment programs in this country are catch and release back to the families, with virtually no long term inpatient care.

Biden's plan pledges to 'defeat' the NRA, support assault weapons ban

"As President, he will secure passage of gun legislation to make our students safer, and he knows he can do it because he’s defeated the National Rifle Association twice before," Biden's plan read.

It stated part of the plan to "defeat" the NRA included supporting legislation that banned "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/joe-biden-plan-defeat-nra-ban-assault-rifles

The Dims are not capable of rational thought. It’s not a gun problem, it’s a people problem. A crazy person will find a tool / weapon to use. You can’t ban everything...knives, box cutters, acid, cars, trucks, bricks, rocks... Address the root cause. It’s not the gun.

we can say the gun is not the problem, but it's awfully difficult to convince the other 50% of the population that guns arent the problem. doing "something" for the sake of doing something is essentially doing nothing. I've seen it said that the average person doesnt need access to an AR-15. That's fine and dandy. What about AK-47s, AR-10s, semi-auto shotguns, etc? We cannot ban all guns, as it's not feasible.

Banning guns would kill a viable economic market as well. Which is why politicians will be - or should be - reluctant to do that. Gun sales contribute to sales taxes, etc. We've also seen and argued all the defenses FOR guns. I do agree that there are people who do not need to have a gun of any kind, but how do we establish that? There are so many slippery slopes to gun confiscation and banishment that it's difficult to decide what to do. Or not to do.

Does one person's right to own a gun override their victim's right to live? Certainly not, but that is how the Left is receiving the gun resistance debate.

For the record, I'm as pro-gun as it gets. I also advise to never take your guns on a bird watching expedition in the Everglades on a standup paddleboard during a hurricane. Bad things happen.

For the record, I'm as pro-gun as it gets. I also advise to never take your guns on a bird watching expedition in the Everglades on a standup paddleboard during a hurricane. Bad things happen.

NOW you tell me.

It's amazing how many people are blaming Trump. And the real ******** that are trying to get mileage out of this are those that are running for president. How despicable. To use dead people as a battle cry in their efforts for elected offices is just so wrong.

It's amazing how many people are blaming Trump. And the real ******** that are trying to get mileage out of this are those that are running for president. How despicable. To use dead people as a battle cry in their efforts for elected offices is just so wrong.

Kathryn Steinle

I wouldn't confuse playing politics with a cry to enforce immigration law.

I wouldn't confuse playing politics with a cry to enforce immigration law.

clearly you don't have a manbun tightened so much that your eyes are slanted.

like Flog

I just love how beatoff who has 1% support is so firm about what's on the table. He is full of himself that's for sure. Loser.

That Wal Mart and Cielo Vista Mall next to it are about 16 miles from my home. I was watching the whole thing unfold and going back & forth between local & national news. A friend called me asking for prayer as his wife was at the Sam's Club (right next to the WM). She said later people from WM streamed in, running in a panic, screams, etc... you could imagine the chaotic scene. His wife was safe and after 2 hours on lockdown was released home.

As the hours wore on, I had this uneasy feeling that our local politicians (Congresswoman Veronica Escobar, former Congressman Beto, and Mayor Dee Margo) would use this time for political gain. Then Governor Abbott lands in El Paso and begins his press conference with the Chief of Police and other leaders. Escobar is standing right behind Gov. Abbott, and without fail launches into a tirade about "anti-immigration", "white supremacy", and on. Beto was in Vegas and goes in front of the camera to say he's cancelling the rest of the campaign trip to come home to be with his family & community. He gets here and is in front of the camera every chance he gets. Mayor Margo was diplomatic and did not make any political statements and I give him kudos for that.

The blood of these poor souls was not yet dry and Escobar and Beto were already using the events for personal, political gain. I happen to think they are as vile, disgusting, and soulless as the shooter.

Anything to destroy Trump. And they don't even care about the optics anymore. I've been reading/hearing what they're doing to Mitch & Rand Paul as well and it's disgusting.

That Wal Mart and Cielo Vista Mall next to it are about 16 miles from my home. I was watching the whole thing unfold and going back & forth between local & national news. A friend called me asking for prayer as his wife was at the Sam's Club (right next to the WM). She said later people from WM streamed in, running in a panic, screams, etc... you could imagine the chaotic scene. His wife was safe and after 2 hours on lockdown was released home.

As the hours wore on, I had this uneasy feeling that our local politicians (Congresswoman Veronica Escobar, former Congressman Beto, and Mayor Dee Margo) would use this time for political gain. Then Governor Abbott lands in El Paso and begins his press conference with the Chief of Police and other leaders. Escobar is standing right behind Gov. Abbott, and without fail launches into a tirade about "anti-immigration", "white supremacy", and on. Beto was in Vegas and goes in front of the camera to say he's cancelling the rest of the campaign trip to come home to be with his family & community. He gets here and is in front of the camera every chance he gets. Mayor Margo was diplomatic and did not make any political statements and I give him kudos for that.

The blood of these poor souls was not yet dry and Escobar and Beto were already using the events for personal, political gain. I happen to think they are as vile, disgusting, and soulless as the shooter.

yep, even a blind man can see this. Certain people will read it, as gospel, though.