• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Film Breakdown Pickett and Canada

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Here’s a great breakdown of the raiders game by former QB JT O’Sullivan. His YouTube channel is great. You may have to click the link to watch on YouTube if it doesn’t play below.

The short version is he thinks Pickett is playing well in a bad offense. His closing remarks are how he hates watching this offense because it’s so limiting.

Nice find Tape, thanks for posting.

EDIT: Well worth the watch.

Salute the nation

Can he coach? We are on the lookout for a qualified OC…. No one in the Steeler organization seems to know what one looks like.

Well, if he didn't attend North catholic high school in Pittsburgh he ain't coming here. Maybe if he can kiss Tomlins @ss in some kind of way.

What makes his observations worse is that while he had an extensive playing career and probably knows a ton (being exposed to at least 10 systems)...

his only coaching is 3 years as a HS head coach in San Diego, AND HE SEES THIS MESS we have as an offensive scheme.

So, a High School coach is calling out our scheme for being overly simplistic! Wow!

I saw two instances that Kenny could have thrown ahead of the WR with a step. One that his happy feet rolled out instead of targeting that mention opportunity.

But the majority I saw was just ****** concepts and Pickett creating plays with his legs.

Is it the OC, WR coach, O-line, QB with happy feet? It is a little bit of 2, 3, and 4, and a significant amount of 1.

He's way over Canadas head.
Canada listening to this guy:

confused-no.gif

Maybe working in this offense is actually galvanizing KP into a better qb.. Some day he will get norv turner or someone... and be super awesome.

Maybe working in this offense is actually galvanizing KP into a better qb.. Some day he will get norv turner or someone... and be super awesome.
Unlikely.. he probably will learn bad habits because of it.. though his saving grace could be that his initial fundamentals were learned from Whipple, not Canada

I liked watching this because it destroyed an earlier talking head narrative that KP gets his body in position on rollouts to the left to throw the football. This is total BS.

All of his rollouts left, he jumps and is in the air when he delivers balls. A lot of throws off of his back foot as well. He's got to get a stronger base when delivering the football, because these mechanics are not sustainable and will erode his skills.

Oddly enough by jumping he gets his torso around and delivers an accurate ball, but this is not what great throwers tend to do in football games.

I liked watching this because it destroyed an earlier talking head narrative that KP gets his body in position on rollouts to the left to throw the football. This is total BS.

All of his rollouts left, he jumps and is in the air when he delivers balls. A lot of throws off of his back foot as well. He's got to get a stronger base when delivering the football, because these mechanics are not sustainable and will erode his skills.

Oddly enough by jumping he gets his torso around and delivers an accurate ball, but this is not what great throwers tend to do in football games.

Ive heard before that our fundamental reads are weird before Pickett even was here… i think they let the OC determine the first read instead of reading the D.. its all weird no matter who is QB

I never saw Canada in this video....LOL....but one thing I did see the night of the Raiders game and I don't know if anyone else did. That was Canada actually trembling when they showed him up in the booth during the 4th quarter. Don't want to make fun because maybe dude has some kind of ailment, but his hand was trembling when he put it up to his temple. Either there is something physically wrong, or the pressure culminating with the fire Canada chants is getting to him. He knew the O had to hold on to the ball as the Raiders were coming back...if they didn't the torches and pitchforks would be waiting in Pittsburgh.

I never saw Canada in this video....LOL....but one thing I did see the night of the Raiders game and I don't know if anyone else did. That was Canada actually trembling when they showed him up in the booth during the 4th quarter. Don't want to make fun because maybe dude has some kind of ailment, but his hand was trembling when he put it up to his temple. Either there is something physically wrong, or the pressure culminating with the fire Canada chants is getting to him. He knew the O had to hold on to the ball as the Raiders were coming back...if they didn't the torches and pitchforks would be waiting in Pittsburgh.

he didn't call any jet sweeps. Probably having withdrawls.

Very good video. Agree 100% that the 3rd and 8 throw to Freiermuth was a great throw and probably should have been caught. Defender has his back to Kenny, almost can't defend the pass without interfering. Muth just kinda dropped it.

Also on one play where Kenny rolls left, Washington is WIDE open over the middle of the field and moving to the left. Kenny gets 15 easy yards if he hits him. Instead, tries to squeeze the pass along the sidelines, incomplete. Missed chance.

Ive heard before that our fundamental reads are weird before Pickett even was here… i think they let the OC determine the first read instead of reading the D.. its all weird no matter who is QB
This is the nature of passing schemes. Normally your first read is left and you progress right. This is why our X receiver gets so many targets, because they play on the left side and are usually the first read, and great route runners like DJ are usually open and get the targets.

The team has to scheme for reads that start right and we do that on specific plays to GP. Problem is we are doing very little scheming for the TEs. I think a lot has to do with the lack of offensive cohesion that leads to a limited number of plays you can run.

The problems shown in these clips is there are few route concepts that compliment each other on a play, meaning there is only one maybe 2 options. We need routes to open the field more, not hang at 9yds with those hitch/stop routes. Watching this film you see our offense is very easy to defend when passing. Play hard at the LOS, man press and stop defending at 10yds because we aren't going deep.

Both times Kenny hit the deep ball in the past 2 games, the other team was playing our short passing game.

This is the nature of passing schemes. Normally your first read is left and you progress right. This is why our X receiver gets so many targets, because they play on the left side and are usually the first read, and great route runners like DJ are usually open and get the targets.

The team has to scheme for reads that start right and we do that on specific plays to GP. Problem is we are doing very little scheming for the TEs. I think a lot has to do with the lack of offensive cohesion that leads to a limited number of plays you can run.

The problems shown in these clips is there are few route concepts that compliment each other on a play, meaning there is only one maybe 2 options. We need routes to open the field more, not hang at 9yds with those hitch/stop routes. Watching this film you see our offense is very easy to defend when passing. Play hard at the LOS, man press and stop defending at 10yds because we aren't going deep.

Both times Kenny hit the deep ball in the past 2 games, the other team was playing our short passing game.

I’m interested about today… Houston has done a good job keeping tge deep passes down but they aren’t good in the short pass game and they are terrible at tackling… they give up a lot of yac.