• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Final Draft Thoughts

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This is probably the least predictable draft for the Steelers in years. There is a new front office in place and so many different directions the team can go. There are a few prospects linked to the team, but we could also see the Steelers active on the trade market. Here are some of my final thoughts heading into the draft (sorry it's a bit long!):

Quarterback
I think a QB in round seven is a strong possibility. Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Stetson Bennett, Clayton Tune, or Jaren Hall are all guys I could see. I don't see him falling that far, but Jake Haener is my top choice for long-term developmental backup. The QB rankings are hard to read since there is a lot of variation depending on the analyst.

Running Back
With Harris and Warren, the Steelers shouldn't be in the running back market unless it is a clear best player available. This draft could have two first-round prospects with Robinson and Gibbs. It's too bad they don't need a RB because there's a lot of quality talent. Roschon Johnson could be a stud in the middle rounds and Israel Abanikanda has homerun hitting speed.

Wide Receiver
The acquisition of Allen Robinson eased the needs to draft a receiver. That wouldn't prevent me from drafting a receiver depending on the draft plays out.
1.17 - Jaxson Smith-Njigba
2.32 Jordan Addison, Zay Flowers
2.49 Josh Downs, Jonathan Mingo, Marvin Mims, Cedric Tillman
3.80 Jayden Reed

Tight End
It's a deep tight end class and while I understand the usefulness of a TE2, it's hard to prioritize the position too early. At the right spot, Darnell Washington, Sam LaPorta, Luke Schoonmaker, and Brenton Strange are all guys I'd be happy with.

Offensive Tackle
A top three need and a top three area of interest the Steelers had based on the predraft process. Paris Johnson is the most athletically gifted tackle, or the "lab built" tackle. There is talk of Skoronski to guard. I'm keep him at tackle and trusting him as a technician. Jones is going to be a work in progress and will struggle early, but has a huge upside. Darnell Wright is a ready-made starter, but likely at right tackle. Dawand Jones is another with a huge upside, but his size will be a concern in terms of staying in playing shape. Anton Harrison is the off-the-radar prospect, but should still be a good player. I'd be okay with any of these players at 17 or 32, definitely happier some with over others.

Interior Offensive Line
Despite acquiring Cole, Daniels, Seumalo, and Herbig, they still showed a lot of interest in IOL prospects in this year's draft. Torrence could be that massive road grader at guard. John Michael Schmitz is older, but just a solid prospect. I'd actually prefer Joe Tippmann. Maybe a little taller than you'd like, I want interior linemen who can move and he is one of the most athletic centers in the draft. Avila has the guard-center capability and Oluwatimi will probably go later than he should.

Defensive Line
Another area where the Steelers did their homework. If they want a guy in the Heyward/Tuitt mold, Bresee should be the pick. Has upside as a run defender and pass rusher. Like Heyward, I believe he'll take a few years to settle in, but if Bresee lives up to his potential, he can be very good. Mazi Smith is a tradition interior run stopper and the Steelers like Michigan players. They also like Wisconsin defenders and Keeanu Benton may be the ideal defensive lineman for this team. He offers the most potential for an IDL at generating pressure. Dexter did get some press with the Steelers, I just think he's a bit of a project. Ika has me concern because of his weight, but if he falls to the fourth I'd consider him.

Edge
Another area of focus for the Steelers and so many different options.
1.17 - Nolan Smith (super athletic), Myles Murphy (huge, but in the Steelers mold), Van Ness (limited area, will he play EDGE or DL, not as high on him), Will McDonald (sleeper pick at 17)

The second round is where the move could be made. Tuipulotu, Keion White (maybe DL?) has been predicted from the PG writers, Anudike-Uzomah are all options. Derick Hall may be the best option and one who could fall to 49. A third pass rusher would really help this defense.

Linebacker
Please don't take one in the first round or at 32. It's just not a great class. Jack Campbell is my favorite option and I wouldn't take him until 49. He's a three-down player with a high ceiling, but also a high floor. Drew Sanders has the inside/outside versatility, which Tomlin likes, but his missed tackle rate is high. You know they'll love Trenton Simpson, I just don't think he'll play to his athleticism and if too much is on his plate too early, he'll be a bust.

Cornerback
OT, DL, EDGE, and CB are the top four positions the Steelers have scouted. We already know this is the deepest, which eases the need to force a cornerback at 17. Gonzalez has the highest upside and will likely be a top-10 pick and probably the same with Witherspoon. Joey Porter Jr. is not a clean prospect and will be a work in progress to fit in with the Steelers defense. I'd be okay with him at 32, just not sure I'd go that way at 17. Banks would be drafted on athleticism alone.

I've warmed up to the idea of going CB in the second and fourth. Guys I like include Cam Smith, DJ Turner (inside/outside versatility), Julius Brents early. Tyrique Stevenson scares me solely because of bad memories of Artie Burns and Kelee Ringo has a huge bust potential. Later on Garrett Williams would be a great pickup while a guy like Clark Phillips could fill the nickel role and he has great ball skills. Riley Moss and Mekhi Blackmon are two others I'd like.

Safety
This position is very thin. Brian Branch should get 17 or 32 consideration because he can play safety or the slot and the Steelers need that type of defender. Ji'Ayir Brown and Jartavius Martin are two mid-round prospects I'd consider.

Trade possibilities
1.17 - stand pat and take the talent available
2.32 - trade back and try to pick up an addition top-100 pick

My top-5 favorites (no specific order) for rounds 1-4:
1.17 - Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Brian Branch, Myles Murphy
2.32 - Bryan Bresee, Mazi Smith, Cam Smith, Julius Brents, Jordan Addison
2.49 - Derick Hall, Darnell Washington, Joe Tippmann, Keeanu Benton, Jack Campbell
3.80 - Cedric Tillman, Marvin Mims, Darius Rush, Jartavius Martin, Clark Phillips
4.120 - Karl Brooks, Ji'Ayir Brown, Mekhi Blackmon, Jayden Reed, Riley Moss

Bold Predictions:
I'm very confident Mazi Smith, Keeanu Benton, Gervon Dexter, or Karl Brooks will be a Steeler and they'll take two cornerbacks.

Finally, based on pre-draft visits and assuming the Steelers draft trends stay the same as they were under Colbert, I am confident one of these players (I know, a ton of options) will be selected at 17 (assuming no trade) on Thursday night:
-Paris Johnson Jr.
-Broderick Jones
-Darnell Wright
-Jaxon Smith-Njigba
-Bryan Bresee
-Lukas Van Ness
-Myles Murphy
-Will McDonald
-Nolan Smith
-Trenton Simpson
-Joey Porter Jr.
-Brian Branch

It's been a fun off-season trying to figure out which way the Steelers will go. As I said yesterday, you selected Kenny as your franchise QB last year. This year, in FA, much work has been done to solidify the IOL but OT is a glaring need and I think the Steelers will DEFINITELY go OT in the first round.

The question stands - will they move up to 9 or 13 to get a blue chipper???

It's been a fun off-season trying to figure out which way the Steelers will go. As I said yesterday, you selected Kenny as your franchise QB last year. This year, in FA, much work has been done to solidify the IOL but OT is a glaring need and I think the Steelers will DEFINITELY go OT in the first round.

Johnson may go higher than 9. Also, the Steelers will have to jump the Bears at 9 if they want to secure Johnson.

I also forgot to add Deonte Banks as the "sleeper" pick.

Ben ROETHLISBERGER said today on his Footbahlin podcast, that they should pick Perez’s Jr. . He also addressed DAN MOORE as being very good. Ryan Shazier expressed the same thing about both Pezzy Jr and Dan Moore.

They seem to think Dan Moore did a great job last year and expressed that they think the front office felt good about Mr.Moore.

Personally, I hope they move up and get Paris J.. LT is a prime positional pick and I feel the only two player positions (unless you find your truly game changing stud) you move up for are QB and LT.

Salute the nation

Ben ROETHLISBERGER said today on his Footbahlin podcast, that they should pick Perez’s Jr. . He also addressed DAN MOORE as being very good. Ryan Shazier expressed the same thing about both Pezzy Jr and Dan Moore.

They seem to think Dan Moore did a great job last year and expressed that they think the front office felt good about Mr.Moore.

Personally, I hope they move up and get Paris J.. LT is a prime positional pick and I feel the only two player positions (unless you find your truly game changing stud) you move up for are QB and LT.

Salute the nation
That would make sense for the interest in Darnell Wright. Chuks struggled after a great start last season and is a subpar run blocker. Not ideal for a team that wants to run the ball with a power back.

Quarterback
I think a QB in round seven is a strong possibility. Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Stetson Bennett, Clayton Tune, or Jaren Hall are all guys I could see. I don't see him falling that far, but Jake Haener is my top choice for long-term developmental backup. The QB rankings are hard to read since there is a lot of variation depending on the analyst.
I like Haener, too. Dude is accurate. I'd like to see them maybe take one of these guys (Bennett or Tune) in round seven; similar to last year, just a better pick.

SteelerFan448 said:
Wide Receiver
The acquisition of Allen Robinson eased the needs to draft a receiver. That wouldn't prevent me from drafting a receiver depending on the draft plays out.
1.17 - Jaxson Smith-Njigba
2.32 Jordan Addison, Zay Flowers
2.49 Josh Downs, Jonathan Mingo, Marvin Mims, Cedric Tillman
3.80 Jayden Reed
Cedric Tillman is going to be a good second or even early third round pick for somebody. Akin to George Pickens last year.

SteelerFan448 said:
Tight End
It's a deep tight end class and while I understand the usefulness of a TE2, it's hard to prioritize the position too early. At the right spot, Darnell Washington, Sam LaPorta, Luke Schoonmaker, and Brenton Strange are all guys I'd be happy with.
Washington is a stud, and probably the steal of the draft if he lasts until late in the first round or longer.

SteelerFan448 said:
Offensive Tackle
A top three need and a top three area of interest the Steelers had based on the predraft process. Paris Johnson is the most athletically gifted tackle, or the "lab built" tackle. There is talk of Skoronski to guard. I'm keep him at tackle and trusting him as a technician. Jones is going to be a work in progress and will struggle early, but has a huge upside. Darnell Wright is a ready-made starter, but likely at right tackle. Dawand Jones is another with a huge upside, but his size will be a concern in terms of staying in playing shape. Anton Harrison is the off-the-radar prospect, but should still be a good player. I'd be okay with any of these players at 17 or 32, definitely happier some with over others.
Hopefully one of the top 3 tackles is somehow still available at #17, and the Steelers scoop him up. This is their biggest need, in my opinion.

SteelerFan448 said:
Edge
Another area of focus for the Steelers and so many different options.
1.17 - Nolan Smith (super athletic), Myles Murphy (huge, but in the Steelers mold), Van Ness (limited area, will he play EDGE or DL, not as high on him), Will McDonald (sleeper pick at 17)

The second round is where the move could be made. Tuipulotu, Keion White (maybe DL?) has been predicted from the PG writers, Anudike-Uzomah are all options. Derick Hall may be the best option and one who could fall to 49. A third pass rusher would really help this defense.
I just hope they don't reach for Van Ness at #17. He's not another TJ Watt.

Keep an eye on Daiyan Henley out of Washington State -- I like his coverage ability and would be thrilled if they can pick him up in round 4.

Should be an interesting draft from top to bottom for the Steelers. Looking forward to it.

I think the steelers will make multiple trades. I can't see them sitting out from pick 4.18 until 7.24. That's 121 pick gap. The more i think about it, I see them hoping an OT falls at 17 and if not, they look to trade back to add picks. Then maybe they trade back up into the end of the 1st.

They have done a lot of work on IOL even after the free agent additions. I think they want that strong C. If they do draft one, then I can see them trading Dotson away. He's had his ups and downs but he has starting experience and some team may be interested.

Joey Porter seemed to be the guy but now it seems less likely. Or maybe the steelers have upgraded their poker face. Porter is not an elite cover guy like Sauce Gardner but his length could make him the pick for 2 reasons. Ja'mar Chase and Tee Higgins.

There are so many directions they can go. If the focus is helping Kenny and the offense and they miss out on OT, i can then make the case for them drafting skill players with the top 3 picks.

Just imagine this scenario
1.17 Michael Mayer TE - a true blocking TE allows 2 TE sets and Freiermuth can be split out to create mismatches
2.32 Jahmyr Gibbs RB - a receiving speed back. Brings an explosive element to the backfield.
3.49 Josh Downs, Jalin Hyatt, Cedric Tillman

OR
1.17 Bijan Robinson - a true 3 down back and big play threat. Could you then trade Najee and have Warren as backup? You would lock in a younger RB on a 5 year deal.
2.32 Washington TE - same as with Mayer, it would help the run game, especially if you got shut out at OT.
3.49 Best WR

Going TE, RB, WR sounds crazy with so many needs but just let those lineup possibilities sink in for a minute. If the steelers had a competent OC, it would be downright exciting.

Point is, the steelers smart free agent moves have given them endless possibilities for this draft.

Johnson may go higher than 9. Also, the Steelers will have to jump the Bears at 9 if they want to secure Johnson.

I also forgot to add Deonte Banks as the "sleeper" pick.
Banks and Branch and Benton have grown on me from the initial likes until now. Hopefully we can get one of the three. Ness is still in my wheel house, I think he has a high ceiling. Wright just seems well right. The right side the right pick with Chuks probably the weakest link. Some might give Moore that designation. But his run blocking for me gives him the slight...edge to stick.

I obviously think both are upgradable. I think Paris will go higher than some think but Jones might still be obtainable. But will probably require a move up.

Somehow some way I think we see a trade. Omar and the crew have shown aggressive tendencies, I don't anticipate that will change. Even after the draft.

My hope is they just continue building those trenches. When I was in the military I irritated my Sgt. (Imagine that) So he had me dig a trench. I am tall so he wanted my height plus two M16s length. I was a hot head so I worked past breakfast, and lunch, and dinner to give him what he asked for. I thought one thing made sense if we had to build a trench at least build it right. And that is what the Steelers need to do build it right. Upgrade Ts and DE, and NT and C. Doesn't have to be all Willy Nilly Johnny on the spot. But they can still get a good start this season by at least drafting a LT or RT, DE, and a C or NT.

Dig dig dig private dig.

I think the steelers will make multiple trades. I can't see them sitting out from pick 4.18 until 7.24. That's 121 pick gap. The more i think about it, I see them hoping an OT falls at 17 and if not, they look to trade back to add picks. Then maybe they trade back up into the end of the 1st.

They have done a lot of work on IOL even after the free agent additions. I think they want that strong C. If they do draft one, then I can see them trading Dotson away. He's had his ups and downs but he has starting experience and some team may be interested.

Joey Porter seemed to be the guy but now it seems less likely. Or maybe the steelers have upgraded their poker face. Porter is not an elite cover guy like Sauce Gardner but his length could make him the pick for 2 reasons. Ja'mar Chase and Tee Higgins.

There are so many directions they can go. If the focus is helping Kenny and the offense and they miss out on OT, i can then make the case for them drafting skill players with the top 3 picks.

Just imagine this scenario
1.17 Michael Mayer TE - a true blocking TE allows 2 TE sets and Freiermuth can be split out to create mismatches
2.32 Jahmyr Gibbs RB - a receiving speed back. Brings an explosive element to the backfield.
3.49 Josh Downs, Jalin Hyatt, Cedric Tillman

OR
1.17 Bijan Robinson - a true 3 down back and big play threat. Could you then trade Najee and have Warren as backup? You would lock in a younger RB on a 5 year deal.
2.32 Washington TE - same as with Mayer, it would help the run game, especially if you got shut out at OT.
3.49 Best WR

Going TE, RB, WR sounds crazy with so many needs but just let those lineup possibilities sink in for a minute. If the steelers had a competent OC, it would be downright exciting.

Point is, the steelers smart free agent moves have given them endless possibilities for this draft.
IF any of these scenarios you're asking us to imagine actually plays out, I will slit my wrists and hang myself in the closet.
We have ignored our lines in the early draft for far too long.
I'm ALL for BPA and bringing in impact players, true game changers.
But to go three consecutive early round picks on skill positions and ignoring the lines AGAIN, is not a formula for success.

I wanna say very early in Tomlin's tenure here, he said something retarded like, "Instead of addressing the line, you go get skill players and they give the QB more time/options instead."
I remember thinking at the time, "What kind of insane band-aid scotch tape voodoo thinking is that?!?!?"
Your scenarios CURRENTLY seem along the same thinking.
We don't have one above average OL player, and we have an old aging DL.
We need us some big uglies and we need them BAD.

I'm not opposed to taking A skill player early, even at 17.
But no way all 3 of our first three picks.

This is probably the least predictable draft for the Steelers in years. There is a new front office in place and so many different directions the team can go. There are a few prospects linked to the team, but we could also see the Steelers active on the trade market. Here are some of my final thoughts heading into the draft (sorry it's a bit long!):

Quarterback

Running Back
With Harris and Warren, the Steelers shouldn't be in the running back market unless it is a clear best player available. This draft could have two first-round prospects with Robinson and Gibbs. It's too bad they don't need a RB because there's a lot of quality talent. Roschon Johnson could be a stud in the middle rounds and Israel Abanikanda has homerun hitting speed.
As a Penn Stater I loathe Pitt...but Izzy is the best RB in this class and severely underrated IMO. His vision, balance, and explosiveness was unbelievable to watch. (My son loves UNC so we watched the game rooting against Pitt.) Piss on Pitt!!

I wouldn't be upset if they did. Now is the time to do it! I don't see them getting near the top 10 next season barring catastrophic collapse.

Banks and Branch and Benton have grown on me from the initial likes until now. Hopefully we can get one of the three. Ness is still in my wheel house, I think he has a high ceiling. Wright just seems well right. The right side the right pick with Chuks probably the weakest link. Some might give Moore that designation. But his run blocking for me gives him the slight...edge to stick.

I obviously think both are upgradable. I think Paris will go higher than some think but Jones might still be obtainable. But will probably require a move up.

Somehow some way I think we see a trade. Omar and the crew have shown aggressive tendencies, I don't anticipate that will change. Even after the draft.

My hope is they just continue building those trenches. When I was in the military I irritated my Sgt. (Imagine that) So he had me dig a trench. I am tall so he wanted my height plus two M16s length. I was a hot head so I worked past breakfast, and lunch, and dinner to give him what he asked for. I thought one thing made sense if we had to build a trench at least build it right. And that is what the Steelers need to do build it right. Upgrade Ts and DE, and NT and C. Doesn't have to be all Willy Nilly Johnny on the spot. But they can still get a good start this season by at least drafting a LT or RT, DE, and a C or NT.

Dig dig dig private dig.

Did your friends start calling you “Luke” ……. As in “Cool Hand Luke” ????

Salute the nation

As a Penn Stater I loathe Pitt...but Izzy is the best RB in this class and severely underrated IMO. His vision, balance, and explosiveness was unbelievable to watch. (My son loves UNC so we watched the game rooting against Pitt.) Piss on Pitt!!
Badcat---I would give you a "Like" on that post about Izzy...but I cant because of the "piss on Pitt" comment, even though I'm a Fighting Irish guy first, but when your born and raised a "yinzer"...cant align with your Pitt hate...

Otherwise....good post and analyst about Izzy...I agree.

IF any of these scenarios you're asking us to imagine actually plays out, I will slit my wrists and hang myself in the closet.
But to go three consecutive early round picks on skill positions and ignoring the lines AGAIN, is not a formula for success.

I wanna say very early in Tomlin's tenure here, he said something retarded like, "Instead of addressing the line, you go get skill players and they give the QB more time/options instead."
I remember thinking at the time, "What kind of insane band-aid scotch tape voodoo thinking is that?!?!?"

“Who needs linemen when you have weapons” was a common cry from our Coach Tomlin b oth back then and even as recently as Najee Harris pick.

There is no doubt we need trench warfare workers and we have a chance to get two starters with-iin this draft. I hope like hell we do just that. I’d be willing to forgo and move up for that coveted LT that we desperately need.

Salute the nation

Did your friends start calling you “Luke” ……. As in “Cool Hand Luke” ????

Salute the nation
No eggs were consumed, so no. But there might have been a shaking of the leg at some point.😁

“Who needs linemen when you have weapons” was a common cry from our Coach Tomlin b oth back then and even as recently as Najee Harris pick.

There is no doubt we need trench warfare workers and we have a chance to get two starters with-iin this draft. I hope like hell we do just that. I’d be willing to forgo and move up for that coveted LT that we desperately need.

Salute the nation
I am infatuated with Skoronski and want him SO bad.
Our "small hands QB" seems to be working out just fine.
I don't mind a "small arms" LT.
His mechanics, footwork, and technique are top notch and he can both pass and run block.
WORST case scenario he kicks into guard.
But I don't think he'll need to.

And I wish we had Munch again for our O-Line.

Dig dig dig private dig.
You know, Tomlin was absolutely giddy at that presser the other day.
Maybe he was that way because he knows the Bengals desperately need a Safety and there is only one available with anywhere near a 1st round grade. One who is projected to be slot capable also. And taking him would not only shore up Safety depth, and give you a viable slot, but would also **** the Bengals like they have ****** the Steelers so many times in the draft.
Although I don't think Branch is the pick at 17 (or should be), it's the last few hours we can throw out our wild and crazy thoughts.

looks like Cam Robinson just got suspended for the Jags.
Wonder if they'd be interested in moving up for a LT now.

The consensus on this OT class is that there are maybe 2 or 3 top prospects, then a few 2nd round talents and the rest are just a bunch of guys.

I think the Steelers want a franchise LT as do most fans but what happens if there’s a run on OT and you get shut out? I’d much rather them take best available skill players than reach and take a 2nd round talent at 1.17 or a 3rd or 4th round talent in round 2.

The Steelers forced the Kendrick Green pick at C a few years ago and we see how that worked out.

We also have to realize that the Steeler OL right now after free agency, is good. It’s not great, it can use that upgrade at OT, but if they don’t add anything, this OL should be able to play well enough to not be a weakness.

I think I’d be ok at 17 with Peezy’s kid or Brian Branch. Branch and Minkah would be amazing together.
Joey Jr. Could be mentored by Patrick Peterson and develop into an excellent CB.
Somehow I don’t think at 17 it will be an OT. Just a feeling.
I think they may be ok with Dan Moore Jr. but at 32 is where they jump on a RT to replace Chucks who is pricey for the caliber of play he demonstrates.
Just some thoughts I have but who really knows! Only thing for sure is they will break he 40 yard time for running to the podium.

What I want.....stay put get three really good players in top 50. What I believe will happen.....they move up get a premium Tackle. Give up pick 2.17 and a 7th or a 5th next year. Drop back at 32 and pick up a third this year.