• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Florida Valentines Day Shooting

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The 19 year old who did this was expelled from the school some time back... he had violent tendencies, a huge obsession with firearms and was red flagged by the school as a potential threat... this guy had issues back into middle school

What I want to know is why when a potential problem is located, why is just kicking him out a solution? The issue with this country is that we don't really do much more than lock someone up or kick them out... this totally feels preventable... this guy should have had a way to get help in school way way way before this....

It is hard to stop a madman or evil twisted person from doing evil twisted things. You can stop some of them,but not all. The problem is our society is going down the *******. This bullshit didn't happen 30 years ago. What happened? It ain't the damn guns that's for sure. We are either going to have to make schools like the tsa going into the airport or train as many people as we can to drop these people and save lives. Right now they're all just sitting ducks. It's really sad it's come to this.

Last edited:
It is hard to stop a madman or evil twisted person from doing evil twisted things. You can stop some of them,but not all. The problem is our society is going down the *******. This bullshit didn't happen 30 years ago. What happened? It ain't the damn guns that's for sure. We are either going to have to make schools like the tsa going into the airport or train as many people as we can to drop these people and save lives. Right now they're all just sitting ducks. It's really sad it's come to this.
In today's society even the twisted minds are given the benefit of the doubt.
So by the time, or even if the signs of violence were there. It's a bit too late.

The 19 year old who did this was expelled from the school some time back... he had violent tendencies, a huge obsession with firearms and was red flagged by the school as a potential threat... this guy had issues back into middle school

What I want to know is why when a potential problem is located, why is just kicking him out a solution? The issue with this country is that we don't really do much more than lock someone up or kick them out... this totally feels preventable... this guy should have had a way to get help in school way way way before this....

As a school person this is what drives me crazy when people think these are easily preventable. People always assume that once a kid is on the radar as being potentially crazy, that you simply identify them and have them locked away somewhere...problem solved. The reality is very different. I got news for you. In every single school in America at any given moment, there are 2 or 3 kids that the teachers are worried about and are thinking, "This kid has the potential to shoot up the school." That is fact. Here's what you can do about it. You can have the counselor talk to the kid and you can have the counselor or Principal call home and make a recommendation that the kid be taken to a mental health professional for an evaluation. That's it. Can you force the parent to take them? Nope. Have I made such recommendations myself? Yep. Do the parents often follow through? Nope.

The bottom line is that you can't throw a kid out of school for being weird. It doesn't work that way and it's against the law unless they've done something to merit expulsion.....which has to be something drastic. They aren't a criminal until they've committed a crime....which in many cases is shooting up the school. The reality is that there is no way to prevent any of these shootings except for blind luck. Short of having metal detectors and armed security guards in every school in American, this will always be a problem.

So by the time, or even if the signs of violence were there. It's a bit too late.

It's the law that they are given the benefit of doubt. As I said, it's illegal to keep a kid out of school for being weird or creepy. They have the same rights as every other student in the school even if the teachers are all scared of them. Until they've violated the rules in a big way they will be in the building. Most of these school shooters are quiet backwards kids who nobody even gave a second thought too. This kid sounds like one of the ones everyone knew was nuts. Hell he was expelled. That's the most drastic thing a school can do.

What's the difference of kids today vs kids of 30-40+ years ago. It's like night and day.

This is beyond horrible. I mean, there has to be a solution. Sadly, I don't know what that solution is. I don't know how you stop a madman who is intent on killing. Even without guns, he would have found another way. That said, this **** has to stop. This is insanity. No, the vast, vast majority of gun owning Americans are not mass murderers. But I would love to know how this kid got a ******* AR15, rolled into a school and murdered 17 people. Our government, republicans and democrats, need to start working on a real, viable solution to this stuff. This happens far too often.

This is beyond horrible. I mean, there has to be a solution. Sadly, I don't know what that solution is. I don't know how you stop a madman who is intent on killing. Even without guns, he would have found another way. That said, this **** has to stop. This is insanity. No, the vast, vast majority of gun owning Americans are not mass murderers. But I would love to know how this kid got a ******* AR15, rolled into a school and murdered 17 people. Our government, republicans and democrats, need to start working on a real, viable solution to this stuff. This happens far too often.

Well you can own rifles and shotguns at 18 years old,so it's as simple as going in and buying it. If he had nothing on record for mental health, restraining orders or felonies then he's pretty much good to go on purchase.

Interesting. I thought the min was 21. Some states have higher than 18.

If you can be assigned one in the military, i suppose you ought to be able to buy one.

Well you can own rifles and shotguns at 18 years old,so it's as simple as going in and buying it. If he had nothing on record for mental health, restraining orders or felonies then he's pretty much good to go on purchase.

Apparently, the guy was undergoing mental health treatment at the time he bought the rifle. Somebody failed to communicate something somewhere. He never should have had a gun.

Apparently, the guy was undergoing mental health treatment at the time he bought the rifle. Somebody failed to communicate something somewhere. He never should have had a gun.

I think this may be at the core of the issue. Accessibility to mental health in this country sucks. If it can be obtained, generally the patient is observed for a few days at most, then kicked to the curb.

If the government wants to fund a project, it should be focused on expanding treatment programs for those that obviously need help. Got to be a compromise between the institutions from the 1950's and what we have today.

Of course there is also the problem of getting the parents to go along with getting help for their kid.

Of course there is also the problem of getting the parents to go along with getting help for their kid.

This is probably one of the biggest problems IMHO. You can't tell parents nowadays that something is going on with their kids. Do that, you better be prepared to throw down. It is a sad reality. There are so many tentacles that go into the cause of mass murders like this. It isn't as simple as banning guns. There is so much more that goes into this than just guns.

Kids are afraid to speak up when they see something because they don't want to be labeled as racist, homophobic, genderphobic, xenophobic. It's PC gone awry.

Reactions: MTC
Saw that the shooter's adoptive mom passed away in November and that he had been staying with a friend's family who told him that he could go get the AR 15 but he had to keep it locked up. Seems like a ****** up situation from the get go.

Oh man. Yep the system really screwed up. If he was showing any signs of violence you have to red flag him in the system. Maybe put him in a ward. How do you prevent a guy from buying off of the black market or from a private owner if he's on the street. How do we deem a person unfit. The liberals would put the elderly and combat vets into that category if they had their way.

My personal believe is that our society is just going down the toilet. You really need a security program and training for teachers who are willing to do it. They're the best closest line of defense outside of having armed guards at every single school.

Last edited:
Kids are afraid to speak up when they see something because they don't want to be labeled as racist, homophobic, genderphobic, xenophobic. It's PC gone awry.

That stuff needs to go away and fast. It really makes me want to home school my son when he reaches that age.

The middle school that my daughters attend has an armed police officer on site. I like it. I think they should have metal detectors too. And a full time psychiatrist.

I heard on the radio that this kid was into researching "resistance groups" in Syria and Iraq. That's ******* ISIS. Fruity Shepherd Smith couldn't say ISIS. The kid is also a registered democrat

Last edited:
I just want to know how a kid who was reported to the FBI passed a background check. There seems to be a disconnect with reporting violent behavior (Texas church shooter last year) and blocking these folks from acquiring guns.

Please do provide documented examples of this. I don’t ever recall a victim or witness giving this excuse for not warning people.

Please do provide documented examples of this. I don’t ever recall a victim or witness giving this excuse for not warning people.

Lyn has worked for years in education, Trog. She knows a lot more about the hesitancy of students to speak up regarding potentially dangerous fellow students than do you or I. A LOT MORE.

I presume that even if Lyn had documented those instances, she would be unable to share those records publicly. You know, revealing the names of 11-year olds and all that.

I just want to know how a kid who was reported to the FBI passed a background check. There seems to be a disconnect with reporting violent behavior (Texas church shooter last year) and blocking these folks from acquiring guns.

I was thinking the same thing. Two shootings that had no red flags from the shooters? If the system is not working, we are really screwed. When will the FBI be held accountable? If that's even possible.

Found this one from 1982...

I was thinking the same thing. Two shootings that had no red flags from the shooters? If the system is not working, we are really screwed. When will the FBI be held accountable? If that's even possible.

Well the Texas shooting was the Air Force's fault. Someone didn't forward the info over to the FBI. They have to get rid of human error and the disconnect.

He is a white hispanic. Wasn't there another white hispanic that shot someone? What is it with these white hispanics?