• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's................vs Cowboys

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well this game was pretty awful to sit and watch because today we saw the Steelers Offense I FEARED before the season started. This was not a good day for the offense and while I know the O-line is in flux and gave up a couple sacks tonight all the blame can't go on the O-line. Tonight the Steelers offense came out pushing the ball downfield on their opening drive until a 3rd & 8 run to the short side of the field for a gain of only 5 yds by Shampklin that brough out Boswell for a FG. After that the offense sputtered most of the night and Fields had a paltry night throwing the football with a measly 127 yds. As for the running game Corderall Patterson and Jaylen Warren can't get healthy soon enough. I'm really sick and tired of seeing Najee Harris as our starting RB....the kid has absolutely NO BURST after the handoff at all. I don't think I can remember a more lack luster boring starting RB for the Pittsburgh Steelers...about the only thing positive I can say about Najee Harris is that he rarely fumbles and has good ball control. I'm starting to wonder if Arthur Smith is the type of OC that you want calling plays when you have a swiss army knife like Justin Fields as your QB? Either that or they are keeping the handcuffs on Justin Fields with conservative play calling. He led the team in a comeback last week in the 2nd half by throwing the ball downfield....tonight we didn't even see Fields attempt a throw over the middle of the football field except the next to last play of the game, a desperation throw that should have been intercepted by Dallas. Steelers offense tonight was abysmal on 3rd down going 3 for 12 which is not good enough. After seeing Fields performance tonight I'm really thinking the Steelers will give Russell Wilson a start @ Las Vegas next week to see if he can be the guy. The offense tonight was just awful but I'm wondering if it's Tomlin & Smith and their lack of confidence in Fields or is it Fields himself? He did have several times tonight where he dropped back and just wasn't seeing open guys.....I know he had Najee Harris on the left side wide open uncovered for an big gainer but instead threw to Pickens on the right side for a 14 yd completion. Playing against a team who's top 3 Defensive Stars didn't play in this one I expected the Steelers offense to do a better job moving the football. Tonight they had 226 total yards......PATHETIC!

As for the Defense the injuries are starting to pile up....we lost Nick Herbig & his backup DeMarvin Leal tonight leaving us very think at OLB. Hopefully Highsmith makes it back next week. I'll say this right now.....Patrick Queen on the stat sheet tonight might look good but his play in the middle in recent weeks especially tonight is becoming a problem. Too many times I saw him getting caught in the wash on running plays. Instead of shedding his man blocking him he was getting taken out of the play fairly easily to the point where I'm actually questioning his effort in the game tonight as most of Dowdle's yards running the football came from running to his side. Peyton Wilson had a couple nice plays tonight on Defense. Elandon Roberts made a hell of a stop on the Goal Line on that last drive....reminescent of Kendrell Bell years ago vs The Browns. Defense created 3 turnovers tonight but it wasn't enough. I always like to see good effort and I think Roberts play tonight warrants more play time on his behalf. At this point Roberts should be getting more reps and Queen should be seeing less based of the effort I see from him.

Well 2 weeks ago we had a 2 game lead on the Rats but after this heartbreaker tonight they have a share of first place. Losing this one tonight was a heart breaker as this is the 2nd game in a row that was a very winable game! Work is going to suck tomorrow...that's all I can think about especially since I need to get up in less than 5 hours! This team should be 5-0 right now.....no excuses.....now we've gotta go on the road to the Raiders.....Steelers usually play like **** on the road vs Raiders.....history has shown us that!

Nick Herbig - Hamstring
DeMarvin Leal - Neck injury-stinger that's still being evaluated

Game Balls:
TJ Watt - 1.5 sacks, 8 tackles tonight....Congratulations surpassing 100 sacks for his career.....2nd fastest guy to ever do it!
Joe Porter Jr - 4 tackles tonight and an INT
Elandon Roberts - That hit at the Goaline tonight forcing the fumble was reminescent of Kendrell Bell. He deserves more reps at ILB
Isaiahh Loudermilk - 2nd blocked FG of his career tonight......played good in spot duty on the DL too

Game Goats:
Patrick Queen - I'm seriously starting to question his effort on plays. He gets blocked and doesn't shed his blocker on runs. Starting to become a trend! Elendon Roberts is making a better effort out there at ILB
Najee Harris - Ball Security is about the only positive think I can say about Najee. He has no burst after the handoff and you guys are wondering why he's getting hit constantly behind the line of scrimmage. He's just not that good!
Beanie Bishop - 2 costly penalties tonight one that kept the Cowboys drive going and led to a TD.

FU's:
I got nothing.....**** WORK.....I should just call in tomorrow and blame the NFL and the weather! Who else is calling off tomorrow?

Yea. It looks like Queen gets washed out of plays. And sometimes he looks like Devin Bush.

We see the Tomlin offense struggle. I think the way he has shackled every qb since Ben is the problem. Najee is too slow. Pickens must be injured.

17 points. Just the way Tomlin likes it.

Najee didn't look bad when they used him and especially on passes out of the backfield. Fields didn't look bad. He currently is carrying the team and that has to change. They need a WR2 badly. If Adams is too costly, Doubs is probably available and much less costly. He would help this offense and he's still young with much more upside.

The D still is not very good. Sure, they make a few splash plays but that only gets you so far. When the team needed a stop, they let the Cowgirls milk a 5+ minute drive for a TD to end the game. Absolutely pitiful, injuries or not!

Najee didn't look bad when they used him and especially on passes out of the backfield. Fields didn't look bad. He currently is carrying the team and that has to change. They need a WR2 badly. If Adams is too costly, Doubs is probably available and much less costly. He would help this offense and he's still young with much more upside.

The D still is not very good. Sure, they make a few splash plays but that only gets you so far. When the team needed a stop, they let the Cowgirls milk a 5+ minute drive for a TD to end the game. Absolutely pitiful, injuries or not!
Basically another team loss. Not good enough passing, not good enough running, not good enough stopping the run, not good enough stopping the pass. Not good enough with the time outs, not good enough with decision making, not good enough coaching the players up.

A basic across the board not good enough that effects the W L column.

1 I am ready to see what Russ can do.

2 I am ready for them to take Beanie off the field.perhaps bring in a corner? That Sutton suspension thing isn’t doing the team any favors.

3 I look forward to Warren and Pat’s return.

4 I look forward to when this team brings in another WR - hopefully before the trade deadline.

That is what can be controlled the rest is what the team is stuck with.

Basically another team loss. Not good enough passing, not good enough running, not good enough stopping the run, not good enough stopping the pass. Not good enough with the time outs, not good enough with decision making, not good enough coaching the players up.

A basic across the board not good enough that effects the W L column.

1 I am ready to see what Russ can do.

2 I am ready for them to take Beanie off the field.perhaps bring in a corner? That Sutton suspension thing isn’t doing the team any favors.

4 I look forward to when this team brings in another WR - hopefully before the trade deadline.

Not sure about Beanie. He was an UDFA and makes plays every week as he did yesterday. He's going to make mistakes as any rookie will but I wouldn't be giving up on him.

And, don't forget Tomlin not opening things up. He seemed to a little more early in this game but no one was open and Fields did a decent job throwing balls away instead of risking a run or a fumble. I'm still good with Fields continuing as the starter. In 5 games, he hasn't had a real bad game that he used to be prone to. There may be something there to still build on moving forward.

369.jpg

I think that is partially Minka Fitzpatric's hold back, he has to keep an eye on Beanie's play and cover.

Salute the nation

"Joe Porter Jr - 4 tackles tonight and an INT"

You seemed to have overlooked his pathetic attempt to throw a punch to try and knock the ball loose instead of trying to tackle the runner.

Not sure about Beanie. He was an UDFA and makes plays every week as he did yesterday. He's going to make mistakes as any rookie will but I wouldn't be giving up on him.

And, don't forget Tomlin not opening things up. He seemed to a little more early in this game but no one was open and Fields did a decent job throwing balls away instead of risking a run or a fumble. I'm still good with Fields continuing as the starter. In 5 games, he hasn't had a real bad game that he used to be prone to. There may be something there to still build on moving forward.
Steelers had how many points scored? 17 isn’t a good game. 3 points before half time is putrid.

Game ball - Hard to give anyone a ball in this game. The hit by Robert's at the goaline was special and p.wilson played solid. Dallas pretty much went up and down the field.

Goats - Pretty much a team failure. Whoever is in charge of the secondary gets the main goat. 2 weeks in a row way too many plays with WRs running wide open. The secondary just looks lost.

FUs - We were pretty much dominated the whole game. Maybe Tomlin just because we see the same stuff every week

Minkah seemed to be a couple steps late on every big pass last night
I would certainly say since signing his contract in 2022 which made him the highest paid safety in the league,his play has declined. I’m not saying he’s a bum by any means but there’s no way he has improved since then. Even if he is playing a little different of a role. When you are top paid person at your position,I expected more.
Would not give JPJ a game ball either. I didn’t think he played well. Dak had 350 yards.