• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............week 6 @ Raiders....

Chicoman

Reaction score
A win is a win and I'll take it but this is one of those games that just should have been complete domination by the Steelers against and inferior opponent and it wasn't. It was one of those games we will look back on and say the Defense played great! The offense had their moments but it should have been a whole lot better than what we saw today. TJ Watt was an absolute force out on that football field....he didn't get the sacks today but 2 forced fumbles including one at the Steelers 1 yd line recovered by Elliott that was the turning point in this game! Steelers had 3 turnovers today not to mention a blocked punt by by Jeremiah Moon. The Raiders offense couldn't seem to get on track after their opening drive. A dominant performance by the Steelers Defense in this game. I don't know if this says more about our Defense than it does the Raiders offense. As for the offense it wasn't a good game for Justin Fields.....he was wildly inaccurate today overthrowing receivers for much of the game. He tossed a really bad INT that was overturned by a Roughing the QB penalty against the Raiders. He should have never thrown that football.....I couldn't believe he didn't see that Defender the entire play. Fields did make some nice plays with his feet though in this game but his overall play today was his worst game as a Steeler. I kept thinking if he continues to play poorly I thought maybe Tomlin would send Wilson into the game but that never happened thanks to the Defense which kept the game outta hand. I'll say I was a little surprised to see the Steelers throwing up 3 scores late in the 4th Quarter....maybe they were just practicing pitch and catch with George Pickens to keep his interest in the game. As I said I'll take the win and enjoy this one for 24 hours here but this game really felt awkward the entire way. If Fields starts next week and plays like he did today expect to see Russell Wilson at some point.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Zach Frazier - Ankle being evaluated
Minkah Fitzpatrick - Shoulder but was able to return
Donte Jackson - Should but was able to return

Game Balls:
TJ Watt - 2 forced fumbles today including one near the Goal Line as the Raiders were trying to cut the lead to one score. Add 5 tackles including 2 for losses today....he was a Monster today!
DeShaun Elliott - 6 tackles and 1 fumble recovery today
Najee Harris - I've been really hard on Najee but today he deserves recognition for some hard running today 14 carries 106 yds including a nice 36 yd TD run. Did anyone see him juke that Raiders LB'er?
Jeremiah Moon - Big shoes to fill today....lost the edge on a couple runs in the 1st Quarter but finished strong including a blocked punt
Ryan McCollum - No one might have noticed but this kid came in for Zach Frazier and played great! Watch his run blocking on Najee's TD run! Giving this kid a game ball for his effort out there today!
Steeler Fans - They say they travel well but the truth is that are already there.....WTG Steeler Fans! Steeler Nation was represented well today! You took over Vegas

Game Goats:
None

FU's:
Raider Nation - **** YOU WE WILL ALWAYS HATE YOUR GUTS!

You are drunk and that's not a bad thing but this is a huge win and to try to characterize it any other way is clown behavior

Donta Jackson. I think the Steelers got the better of the Dionte Johnson trade. The INT and another one that he almost had. This guy is a very good corner.
Jeremiah Moon. What a great job blocking that punt.
Calvin Austin. The fake catch of the punt causing the touchback was brilliant.

Arty Smith, please lose that triple reverse from the playbook.

TJ is an absolute game changer. He’s not just about sacks but he punches the ball out twice for fumbles. He’s definitely the best defensive player in the NFl.

You are drunk and that's not a bad thing but this is a huge win and to try to characterize it any other way is clown behavior
There you go again: no one is allowed to be critical of this team or disagree with you on a chat board or they are (insert 6th grade insult)

It was a great win, granted. The defense played well, they ran the ball well, this game and the Chargers game were dominant performances and are what we need to be.

How do you think we stack up with the Chiefs? Dallas and Indy were massive wasted opportunities to get a leg up in the seedings with a very tough 2nd half schedule. The passing game isn’t there yet. That’s how the standards have dropped among a large segment of fans, and if you’re not interested in winning championships that’s your right, but there are flaws in the team, some of us want more than 10-7, and pointing the flaws out on a discussion board isn’t clown behavior

A win is a win and I'll take it but this is one of those games that just should have been complete domination by the Steelers against and inferior opponent and it wasn't. It was one of those games we will look back on and say the Defense played great! The offense had their moments but it should have been a whole lot better than what we saw today. TJ Watt was an absolute force out on that football field....he didn't get the sacks today but 2 forced fumbles including one at the Steelers 1 yd line recovered by Elliott that was the turning point in this game! Steelers had 3 turnovers today not to mention a blocked punt by by Jeremiah Moon. The Raiders offense couldn't seem to get on track after their opening drive. A dominant performance by the Steelers Defense in this game. I don't know if this says more about our Defense than it does the Raiders offense. As for the offense it wasn't a good game for Justin Fields.....he was wildly inaccurate today overthrowing receivers for much of the game. He tossed a really bad INT that was overturned by a Roughing the QB penalty against the Raiders. He should have never thrown that football.....I couldn't believe he didn't see that Defender the entire play. Fields did make some nice plays with his feet though in this game but his overall play today was his worst game as a Steeler. I kept thinking if he continues to play poorly I thought maybe Tomlin would send Wilson into the game but that never happened thanks to the Defense which kept the game outta hand. I'll say I was a little surprised to see the Steelers throwing up 3 scores late in the 4th Quarter....maybe they were just practicing pitch and catch with George Pickens to keep his interest in the game. As I said I'll take the win and enjoy this one for 24 hours here but this game really felt awkward the entire way. If Fields starts next week and plays like he did today expect to see Russell Wilson at some point.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Zach Frazier - Ankle being evaluated
Minkah Fitzpatrick - Shoulder but was able to return
Donte Jackson - Should but was able to return

Game Balls:
TJ Watt - 2 forced fumbles today including one near the Goal Line as the Raiders were trying to cut the lead to one score. Add 5 tackles including 2 for losses today....he was a Monster today!
DeShaun Elliott - 6 tackles and 1 fumble recovery today
Najee Harris - I've been really hard on Najee but today he deserves recognition for some hard running today 14 carries 106 yds including a nice 36 yd TD run. Did anyone see him juke that Raiders LB'er?
Jeremiah Moon - Big shoes to fill today....lost the edge on a couple runs in the 1st Quarter but finished strong including a blocked punt
Ryan McCollum - No one might have noticed but this kid came in for Zach Frazier and played great! Watch his run blocking on Najee's TD run! Giving this kid a game ball for his effort out there today!
Steeler Fans - They say they travel well but the truth is that are already there.....WTG Steeler Fans! Steeler Nation was represented well today! You took over Vegas

Game Goats:
None

FU's:
Raider Nation - **** YOU WE WILL ALWAYS HATE YOUR GUTS!
I will add Heyward....the old man. He played balls to the wall when he was on the field today. I "hated" on him all offseason but have enjoyed his season to date. I am still hoping he breaks out the screen shots of his "haters" that he says he has. Props my man Cam. Great game!!!

I loved the win. But Fields isn’t progressing as a passer. I don’t think you can keep him out there all season long.

Other than that good win after dropping two in a row.

I loved the win. But Fields isn’t progressing as a passer. I don’t think you can keep him out there all season long.

Man....I simply love how he is always looking down the field to pass first instead of running. He missed a few passes especially one the one drive.....in the end we are not a pass first team. He plays within the system.

I think just because we have Russ on the team posters are hating on Fields more than if he wasn’t on the team. It is the what ifs. If Fields struggles or get hurt I hope Wilson can ce in win as Fields is doing. We are 4 and 2. Our 2 losses by a total of 6 points. We could easily be 5 and 1 or 6 and 0....and I still think posters would be hating on Fields.

But Fields isn’t progressing as a passer. I don’t think you can keep him out there all season long.

Tomlin seems to have fallen in love, so barring injury, that is exactly what's going to happen.

Fields seems to fit the type of football Tomlin prefers to play, as I swear he would run the Nebraska wishbone if he could.

work had me move from pittsburgh to chicago 5 yrs ago. So Ive seen all anyone would want to see of Justin fn Fields. still the same player he was in chicago. glare at 1st receiver, and if covered, force the ball anyway, or try to run away.
I am hoping Russ gets a shot and does what Flacco has been doing for the colts

At some point I think the team will want to see what Russell Wilson can do out there. That might be next week who knows?

Donta Jackson. I think the Steelers got the better of the Dionte Johnson trade. The INT and another one that he almost had. This guy is a very good corner.
Jeremiah Moon. What a great job blocking that punt.
Calvin Austin. The fake catch of the punt causing the touchback was brilliant.

Arty Smith, please lose that triple reverse from the playbook.
Friermuth taking the initial reverse kind of telegraphs the whole play. The chances of him keeping it are zero. That backwards pass that Warren had to recover can be flushed too. I was screaming NOOOO at the top of my lungs as Fields was throwing it.

Still a lot of questionable stuff in our playbook. Frankly I was hoping for better. Seem to have gotten away from play action too.

At some point I think the team will want to see what Russell Wilson can do out there. That might be next week who knows?
Say we keep winning 2 out of 3 games.......do you simply throw Russ into the mix.....especially when today in mop up time you easily could have giving him some time.

I am going to speculate that Russ simply didn't want to go in for mop up time. It was beneath him and his SB winning career. Hell....what has Fields done compared to Russ career wise. Might have been rotten of Russ to refuse mop up time to knock off some rust he has compiled on from almost a year ago. Maybe Russ should put team first? Specifically speaking of course.

Say we keep winning 2 out of 3 games.......do you simply throw Russ into the mix.....especially when today in mop up time you easily could have giving him some time.

I am going to speculate that Russ simply didn't want to go in for mop up time. It was beneath him and his SB winning career. Hell....what has Fields done compared to Russ career wise. Might have been rotten of Russ to refuse mop up time to knock off some rust he has compiled on from almost a year ago. Maybe Russ should put team first? Specifically speaking of course.
If I'm the Steelers Head Coach and from what I see watching the games is I see Justin Fields doing ok but he's missing wide open receivers out there on the field....he's just not seeing everything that a veteran guy like you'd expect a QB the caliber of Russell Wilson if he's out there. I gotta believe he's going to see those receivers open out there and make the throws that Justin just isn't seeing. It's not that Fields is playing terrible although today was a bad game for Fields....it's more of a curiosity thing to see what you've got in Russell Wilson and if he can be the guy. It's just something that needs to happen and it will happen....perhaps next week. Could you imaging the criticism towards Tomlin if Wilson never gets a chance and Fields bombs in the first playoff game. The talking heads would all be saying he should have given Wilson a chance at QB to see if he could be better.

If I'm the Steelers Head Coach and from what I see watching the games is I see Justin Fields doing ok but he's missing wide open receivers out there on the field....he's just not seeing everything that a veteran guy like you'd expect a QB the caliber of Russell Wilson if he's out there. I gotta believe he's going to see those receivers open out there and make the throws that Justin just isn't seeing. It's not that Fields is playing terrible although today was a bad game for Fields....it's more of a curiosity thing to see what you've got in Russell Wilson and if he can be the guy. It's just something that needs to happen and it will happen....perhaps next week. Could you imaging the criticism towards Tomlin if Wilson never gets a chance and Fields bombs in the first playoff game. The talking heads would all be saying he should have given Wilson a chance at QB to see if he could be better.
I see veteran qbs miss open WRs every game. Whether it is a throw or a read. To think Russ won't is mind boggling. Yet playing in a conservative system that we have. So go on thinking Russ will be perfect while EVERY other QB(elites) included misses them weekly. ....and no one is saying Fields is elite. And I am hoping at this point no one is saying Wilson is elite....especially coming off of an injury at 35 that has kept him out like 9 plus weeks....hasn't play meaningful game in all but a year. Where 2 teams have paid huge amounts of $$$$ to get him off their team. Smh

Game Balls:

kid did great ,,, great blocking on that run.

Yeah that’s right. CMT says Russ you’re in. Russ looks at him and says coach,I gotta put myself first ,not the team. Going in right now is beneath me.

Those must have been some pretty powerful mushrooms you did. Man on Man.

Friermuth taking the initial reverse kind of telegraphs the whole play. The chances of him keeping it are zero. That backwards pass that Warren had to recover can be flushed too. I was screaming NOOOO at the top of my lungs as Fields was throwing it.

Still a lot of questionable stuff in our playbook. Frankly I was hoping for better. Seem to have gotten away from play action too.

The two plays you are talking about are in every teams playbook, and iirc both were run by other team's this week for Tds.. i figured before the game one of the coaches saw the double reverse and figured they would do it too or some dumb **** like that... but you have to pick up the guy coming clean... idiotic to let him go like that ..

And i will neeeevveerr understand Tomlins aversion to play action and qbs under center

Somehow, Fields haters fail to understand what his running ability brings to the table, specifically for this team and its limited offensive capabilities. Several times a game this guy saves the Steelers' bacon by eluding almost definite sacks. I like Russ, but he simply cannot physically avoid the rush like he used to. And when they actually call the designed QB runs (like today when he had the entire middle of the field open) at the right times, Fields provides the big plays they so desperately need.

There is no way Tomlin is going to bench Fields anytime soon, and for once, I agree with him.

Yeah that’s right. CMT says Russ you’re in. Russ looks at him and says coach,I gotta put myself first ,not the team. Going in right now is beneath me.

Those must have been some pretty powerful mushrooms you did. Man on Man.
I was simply speculating with a big dash of sarcasm. Everyone on the here does that. Why is it everything comes down to mushrooms with you?

Somehow, Fields haters fail to understand what his running ability brings to the table, specifically for this team and its limited offensive capabilities. Several times a game this guy saves the Steelers' bacon by eluding almost definite sacks. I like Russ, but he simply cannot physically avoid the rush like he used to. And when they actually call the designed QB runs (like today when he had the entire middle of the field open) at the right times, Fields provides the big plays they so desperately need.

There is no way Tomlin is going to bench Fields anytime soon, and for once, I agree with him.
Great...we have Kordell Stewart 2.0 minus the raisenettes on his face.

How did that turn out again? :unsure:

Man....I simply love how he is always looking down the field to pass first instead of running. He missed a few passes especially one the one drive.....in the end we are not a pass first team. He plays within the system.

I think just because we have Russ on the team posters are hating on Fields more than if he wasn’t on the team. It is the what ifs. If Fields struggles or get hurt I hope Wilson can ce in win as Fields is doing. We are 4 and 2. Our 2 losses by a total of 6 points. We could easily be 5 and 1 or 6 and 0....and I still think posters would be hating on Fields.
I don’t dislike Fields I just am not convinced he is the answer for the playoffs provided the team even makes it there. I do think potentially Wilson is a better option. He has been there done that. Fields accuracy isn’t trending up. Some of it is conjecture sure, every scenario has that for the Steelers. But when we see back to back iffy games for Fields it is only natural to question if he is the right option, no less than someone questioning Wilson for his age or coming off injury.

I also think with Wilson being a guy who has been TD productive and Fields struggling in that area a change probably will need to happen if Fields doesn’t ultimately improve.

Let us not pretend the D and running game hasn’t also helped in the 4 victories. So that conjecture game of saying oh look the Steelers could be easily 6 and 0 they could just as easily be below .500.

As the O hasn’t lit it up, and the D has been iffy at times.

10 6 10 13.

That is the numbers the D gave up in the wins.

Arguably the D had more of a hand in the 4 and 2 start.

At 4-2, I think it would be hard to pull Fields. His legs are a dimension we haven't had in a loooooooong time. Keep working with him on the passing stuff. He has the talent. He needs to be more consistent.

He had no turnovers and 2 TD's (albeit with his legs) and the Win. I'll take that any day.