• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Games Goats & FU's.......Wildcard Round vs Bills

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well we knew it would be an uphill battle vs Buffalo but I thought the Steelers showed heart tonight and fought tooth and nail the entire game. Minus two in the turnover battle tonight sure didn't help. The fumble deep in Steeler territory by Pickens resulted in a 1 play TD for the Bills and Rudolph's INT in the endzone that took points off the board for the Steelers. In addition to the 2 turneovers the play that really made the difference in this game was John Allen's 52 yd TD run on a 3rd & 7 at the Bills 48 yd line in the 2nd Quarter to give them a 21-0 lead......sloppy tackling (Steelers need to tackle better....is this on the DC or who) by the Steelers on that play really pretty much was the difference maker of the game even though the Steelers fought back to make it a game!

Steelers running game was never able to get going this game but they got taken out of that gameplan after going down 21-0. I think you could almost make a case for Eddie Faulkner as the next Steelers OC. I don't know who made the adjustment at the half but it was a good one as they started to use the short passing game over the middle of the field to take advantage of the Buffalo Bills glaring weakness. I actually think that's the recipe for beating Buffalo and I'd expect their opponents will try to exploit that just like the Steelers did in the 2nd Half.

I'll always wonder if TJ Watt would have been a difference maker in this one if he wasn't injured. I was really suprised to not see Nick Herbig on the field until the 3 minute mark in the 2nd Quarter....they kept using Marcus Golden until Herbig saw some reps....far too late in the game IMO.....Herbig is more dynamic of a player than Golden ever was. I just didn't understand why Herbig didn't get more reps.

Defensively our ILB's is a glaring weakness for the Steelers going into the off-season and they need another BIG FATTY in the middle to replace Cam Heyward in the offseason. That sloppy tackling on Josh Allen's TD run was perhaps the most frustrating thing to watch in today's game because tackling is such a fundamental part of the game!

I thought Mason Rudolph did ok once he settled down....that INT in the endzone was hard to watch and it turned out to be a 14 point swing as the Bills took that INT and turned it into a Bills TD. Both Steeler turnovers turned into TD's for the Bills and it was the difference in the game.....14 points!

Two things in the game tonight really made my blood boil and maybe the NFL needs a rule change in the off-season.......

The hit on Joey Porter Jr that put him out with a Concussion was a Cheap Shot! Helmet to the back of his head....and WTF was no penalty flag throw for a Block in the Back on the TE who hit Porter?

Second and perhaps this is one of the most disturbing things and they need to change the rules here.....2nd & 5 with about 7:30 seconds to play...Bills have the ball.....John Allen calls his own number....runs up the middle for 2 yards (he's at the point where he's reaching the 2nd level and he hook slides as Myles Jack is trying to tackle the ball carrier.....I doubt that Jack could even see that it was Josh Allen....he hits him....as Allen hook slides....B00M...he's hit.....15 yd Unnecessary Roughness). I guess the point I'm trying to make here is when a QB calls their own number....they are a RB......from that point on there should be no Hook Sliding allowed because players are reacting to a running play and trying to tackle the ball carrier...They simply don't have time to process whether it's a QB, RB or whoever it is...they are trying to tackle the ball carrier. It's a different situation when a pass play breaks down and the QB is scrambling because no one is open and he's trying to get a first down....then a hook slide should be allowed but not when a QB calls his own number.....he is choosing himself as the RB.....I get that they want to protect the QB's but how about giving a break to a Defensive player since they are only trying to tackle the ball carrier. Heck if they don't change that rule and I'm a defensive coach.....I tell my players hit that QB and hit him hard so he doesn't do that again! I mean it's a bullshit rule and benefits the offense and the QB who does call his own number. I'm sorry if he does he's a RB!

Well it's onto the off-season.....Steelers have needs.....we need DT, ILB, OL. Hopefully we see Kwon Alexander back in a Steelers uniform and also Eric Rowe....he played great for us....an excellent tackler out there on Defense! Bring Rudolph back and let him and Pickett battle it out for the Starting QB job! Send Trubisky packing, Ogunjobi too! Extend Najee too!

Game Balls:
Eric Rowe - 8 Tackles tonight....He needs to come back next season
Minkah Fitzpatrick - First game back from injury....10 tackles althought he let that little Bills WR break loose from his grasp I think it was Shakir
Dionte Johnson - 4 rec 48 yds 1 TD.....had a couple nice moves in traffic to keep drives doing and get into the endzone. Was this his last game as a Steeler? If it is we need WR in the Draft!
Elandon Roberts - Nice pass defensed downfield in the endzone.....5 tackles.....we need him back next season along with Kwon & Cole Holcomb
Cam Heward - the veteran guy in the Steelers locker room....6 tackles tonight....I know his career is winding down......maybe he can play a couple more seasons...still playing at a high level

Game Goats:
Pressley Harvin - Three seasons as our starting punter and it's 3 seasons too many. a 30 yd punt tonight that led to the Bills first TD. Seeing an injured Bills punter out kick him was embarrassing. He's gotta go!
George Pickens - That fumble tonight really hurt the Steeler chances.....gotta hold onto that pigskin George
Mason Rudolph - The INT in the endzone was a costly turnover and for a team like the Steelers it's almost backbreaking
Mike Tomlin - The team came out flat again tonight to start the game (We are seeing this all too often lately and I'm sorry the Head Coach gets the blame here).......I really am indifferent if Tomlin stays or goes. If he does leave I want Bobby Slowik the OC for the Texans

FU's:
FU to the Bills TE who cheap shotted Joey Porter Jr.....absolutely classless.....I still don't know how it wasn't a Penalty. It was clearly a block in the back! Was also Helmet to Helmet!

Amongst other things, I was pissed at the Steeler HC acting the zombie on several questionable calls that all went against the Steelers.

The reason the players came out flat was that the coach was also flat, uninterested in the development of the game.

It is very hard, over the years, to be aligned with the lack of gametime passion. Its not stoicism, its stunned.

Gameball to Stinkah? Game on the line and instead of just tackling a midgett, he tries to tough guy him. Game, set, match. I liked the secondary play infinitely more with him out. He's so overrated.

I said 10 wins and playoffs at beginning of the year. If they would have not lost those two ridiculous games in a row at home and KP would have developed and played a similar game today I could see bringing Tomlin back. I'm sick of purgatory. I can take ****** for three years to get really good. Tired of this.

Well it's onto the off-season.....Steelers have needs.....we need DT, ILB, OL
Thanks Chico,hope all is well. I have read many times over the last couple years where some fans think we’re only a couple players away from making a serious run. I am not one of them. Added to your list there I think we need a CB a Safety a Center a Punter,a WR and depending on their mindset either a late round QB or a first round QB. Plus a HC,OC,DC.

and not trying to be an ***-hole. I do believe we are a long ways away from sniffing a championship. And that’s what to me is so disappointing about our current coaching situation. One poster earlier this week was saying what a great coaching job MT has done. How he has rebuilt this team into a playoff team. Rebuilt? From what? Are we talking our SB loss in 2010? Rebuilt from our last playoff win in 2018? Rebuilt? I think we are many players away. Are we really going to give this coach another 4 years to rebuild? He’s had 17 years.

Of course emotions are always different after a loss like this. And there will be 10,000 fire Tomlin threads between now and September. Which I will try not to partake in. Being labeled as a”hater“ is just ridiculous. If I feel a coach holds this team back or stagnant it’s time for a change For the good of the team. In my opinion,of course.

There is such a fine line between winning and losing at the pro level in sports. In the NFL all eleven men on the field need to go all out on every play whether it seems significant or not. We have too many plays where all eleven don't. Too many plays where someone is taking a play off. Whether it's a WR who doesn't want to block or a safety who watches a runner go by or any player who doesn't fight for a loose ball. It's those little moments that swing a game. We have too many of those moments missed. That's doing your job. Every play. That needs to change if it even can in this day and time.

Neither Faulkner or Sullivan should be the OC next year or have anything to do with play calling. Keeping them means keeping the Canaduh O with a few more tweaks. Their play calling in this game was terrible at times. We absolutely need a new O coaching staff.

FU's go to the Bills for playing dirty. No way I can or will root for them in these playoffs. I hope KC kills them. Another FU goes to the officials. I understand we didn't play well at times but the officials would not let us come back when we, in fact, were coming back. There horrible calls and lack of calls were terrible. The Jills didn't get their token 2nd penalty until late in the 4th when the finally called roughing the passer. The dirty hit from behind on JPJ when he was on the ground should and countless other obvious no calls on the Bills killed us. That plus the calls they made on us. The ball that was airmailed out of bounds was in the air when Jack barely grabbed the dude. They called holding just because the fans were booing and the didn't want snowballs thrown at them. That should have been no penalty.

Game ball to Warren and Mason. They gave their all/
Goates and Fu to this defense terrible game lack of effort tackling worse than pee wee football.
FU to our defensive line coach laughing on the sidelines 21-0 score. Pickens child attitude Secondary should have stayed home afraid to get their jersey's dirty stand and wait hoping someone else would attack ball carrier.

I don’t think I’d make Faulkner the OC (Shades surely wants to) but he’s the only coach on staff I’d keep.

Well we knew it would be an uphill battle vs Buffalo but I thought the Steelers showed heart tonight and fought tooth and nail the entire game. Minus two in the turnover battle tonight sure didn't help. The fumble deep in Steeler territory by Pickens resulted in a 1 play TD for the Bills and Rudolph's INT in the endzone that took points off the board for the Steelers. In addition to the 2 turneovers the play that really made the difference in this game was John Allen's 52 yd TD run on a 3rd & 7 at the Bills 48 yd line in the 2nd Quarter to give them a 21-0 lead......sloppy tackling (Steelers need to tackle better....is this on the DC or who) by the Steelers on that play really pretty much was the difference maker of the game even though the Steelers fought back to make it a game!

Steelers running game was never able to get going this game but they got taken out of that gameplan after going down 21-0. I think you could almost make a case for Eddie Faulkner as the next Steelers OC. I don't know who made the adjustment at the half but it was a good one as they started to use the short passing game over the middle of the field to take advantage of the Buffalo Bills glaring weakness. I actually think that's the recipe for beating Buffalo and I'd expect their opponents will try to exploit that just like the Steelers did in the 2nd Half.

I'll always wonder if TJ Watt would have been a difference maker in this one if he wasn't injured. I was really suprised to not see Nick Herbig on the field until the 3 minute mark in the 2nd Quarter....they kept using Marcus Golden until Herbig saw some reps....far too late in the game IMO.....Herbig is more dynamic of a player than Golden ever was. I just didn't understand why Herbig didn't get more reps.

Defensively our ILB's is a glaring weakness for the Steelers going into the off-season and they need another BIG FATTY in the middle to replace Cam Heyward in the offseason. That sloppy tackling on Josh Allen's TD run was perhaps the most frustrating thing to watch in today's game because tackling is such a fundamental part of the game!

I thought Mason Rudolph did ok once he settled down....that INT in the endzone was hard to watch and it turned out to be a 14 point swing as the Bills took that INT and turned it into a Bills TD. Both Steeler turnovers turned into TD's for the Bills and it was the difference in the game.....14 points!

Two things in the game tonight really made my blood boil and maybe the NFL needs a rule change in the off-season.......

The hit on Joey Porter Jr that put him out with a Concussion was a Cheap Shot! Helmet to the back of his head....and WTF was no penalty flag throw for a Block in the Back on the TE who hit Porter?

Second and perhaps this is one of the most disturbing things and they need to change the rules here.....2nd & 5 with about 7:30 seconds to play...Bills have the ball.....John Allen calls his own number....runs up the middle for 2 yards (he's at the point where he's reaching the 2nd level and he hook slides as Myles Jack is trying to tackle the ball carrier.....I doubt that Jack could even see that it was Josh Allen....he hits him....as Allen hook slides....B00M...he's hit.....15 yd Unnecessary Roughness). I guess the point I'm trying to make here is when a QB calls their own number....they are a RB......from that point on there should be no Hook Sliding allowed because players are reacting to a running play and trying to tackle the ball carrier...They simply don't have time to process whether it's a QB, RB or whoever it is...they are trying to tackle the ball carrier. It's a different situation when a pass play breaks down and the QB is scrambling because no one is open and he's trying to get a first down....then a hook slide should be allowed but not when a QB calls his own number.....he is choosing himself as the RB.....I get that they want to protect the QB's but how about giving a break to a Defensive player since they are only trying to tackle the ball carrier. Heck if they don't change that rule and I'm a defensive coach.....I tell my players hit that QB and hit him hard so he doesn't do that again! I mean it's a bullshit rule and benefits the offense and the QB who does call his own number. I'm sorry if he does he's a RB!

Well it's onto the off-season.....Steelers have needs.....we need DT, ILB, OL. Hopefully we see Kwon Alexander back in a Steelers uniform and also Eric Rowe....he played great for us....an excellent tackler out there on Defense! Bring Rudolph back and let him and Pickett battle it out for the Starting QB job! Send Trubisky packing, Ogunjobi too! Extend Najee too!

Game Balls:
Eric Rowe - 8 Tackles tonight....He needs to come back next season
Minkah Fitzpatrick - First game back from injury....10 tackles althought he let that little Bills WR break loose from his grasp I think it was Shakir
Dionte Johnson - 4 rec 48 yds 1 TD.....had a couple nice moves in traffic to keep drives doing and get into the endzone. Was this his last game as a Steeler? If it is we need WR in the Draft!
Elandon Roberts - Nice pass defensed downfield in the endzone.....5 tackles.....we need him back next season along with Kwon & Cole Holcomb
Cam Heward - the veteran guy in the Steelers locker room....6 tackles tonight....I know his career is winding down......maybe he can play a couple more seasons...still playing at a high level

Game Goats:
Pressley Harvin - Three seasons as our starting punter and it's 3 seasons too many. a 30 yd punt tonight that led to the Bills first TD. Seeing an injured Bills punter out kick him was embarrassing. He's gotta go!
George Pickens - That fumble tonight really hurt the Steeler chances.....gotta hold onto that pigskin George
Mason Rudolph - The INT in the endzone was a costly turnover and for a team like the Steelers it's almost backbreaking
Mike Tomlin - The team came out flat again tonight to start the game (We are seeing this all too often lately and I'm sorry the Head Coach gets the blame here).......I really am indifferent if Tomlin stays or goes. If he does leave I want Bobby Slowik the OC for the Texans

FU's:
FU to the Bills TE who cheap shotted Joey Porter Jr.....absolutely classless.....I still don't know how it wasn't a Penalty. It was clearly a block in the back! Was also Helmet to Helmet!
Heyward and Minkah No Chance
This defense got ran over and through to the tune of 180yds
Minkah and Heyward could not tackle a 190 pound wr in the biggest game of their careers.
Josh allen had the second longest QB TD run in league history thanks to this defense.
Pickens had a bad fumble, rudolph had a bad pick, but i'll give them a pass because him and rudolph were the only reason we are having this conversation.
They both fought back to within 7 and played well enough to have a chance.
The defense Blew it with inability to tackle or stop the run and costly penalties.

Harvin I'm with you 1000%

Heyward has his name all over the worst postseason performances pointswise in league history. I remember Ben throwing for nearly 500 yards AND 5TD and losing to Blake Bortles thanks to Cam and company. He's made a career of crapping the bed in the playoffs.

If I'm the Steelers at contract time I have a singular message for this defense. You are all grossly overrated and overpaid.
Bottom line
1 and 11 without T.J Watt

Last edited:
Game ball to Minkah? He let Allen look like Lamar Jackson. There is one reason Allen made it through and outran the secondary. THEY WERENT TRYING
THIS! Everyone saw Wallace’s failed tackle, what I suspect they missed was Minkah pulling up apparently wanting no part of tackling Allen. Minkah is a goat and gets an FU!

The margins in the playoffs are tiny and I think that we met a slightly better team. Yes, penalties, no calls etc but they wanted it more and we were nervous and flat for two series.

I was thinking before this game that our punter would kill us and that's exactly what he did. Waste of space. He's not a cold weather punter and needs getting rid of.

For the rest, I wouldn't promote Faulkner full time. I think he and Sullivan have done a solid job getting us as far as they have but we need some serious changes to the offense. With no running game it showed how one dimensional our passing attack was and it took them until the 2nd half to throw the short stuff over the middle. Nine men in the box and you don't check out of a first down running play?!? WTF?

We shouldn't come out flat and under prepared for a playoff game. I'm fine being beaten by a better team, I just don't think that Buffalo were much better. They do have Allen who is the X factor for them but I don't think they beat anyone that's left in the AFC unless he puts the team on his back.

The margins in the playoffs are tiny and I think that we met a slightly better team. Yes, penalties, no calls etc but they wanted it more and we were nervous and flat for two series.

I was thinking before this game that our punter would kill us and that's exactly what he did. Waste of space. He's not a cold weather punter and needs getting rid of.

For the rest, I wouldn't promote Faulkner full time. I think he and Sullivan have done a solid job getting us as far as they have but we need some serious changes to the offense. With no running game it showed how one dimensional our passing attack was and it took them until the 2nd half to throw the short stuff over the middle. Nine men in the box and you don't check out of a first down running play?!? WTF?

We shouldn't come out flat and under prepared for a playoff game. I'm fine being beaten by a better team, I just don't think that Buffalo were much better. They do have Allen who is the X factor for them but I don't think they beat anyone that's left in the AFC unless he puts the team on his back.
Well said
I feel despite the shortcomings of the defense and costly turnovers on offense, the game came down to a few big plays and was 100% winnable.

1. A few runs instead of passes like 2 and goal from the 4 when you're down 14-0. The play were Mason threw a pick. I was screaming at the T.V. run it 3 times in a row if needed. They got cute. could have been down 14-7 with more competence at coaching and situational playcalling. Harris has not been 100% inspiring but you have to run it 3 times there, or give it to warren to run. Not throw it to the second shortest guy on offense with questionable hands and horrible TD stats, especially in the redzone.
If they had a Stud RB they were confident in, you can bet you're last dollar if Bell or the Bus was on that team they run it 3 times in a row if needed. and get the 7.

2. Instead of running Najee into a wall with a stacked box, throw it when you see a single high safety. They called a scared game.

3. Bigtime plays by you're best guys in the biggest games are what champions do. Like Troy with the diving interception vs colts or the strip sack of Flacco to advance us in the playoffs, or the james Harisson return in the superbowl. Its a play or two here and there that make the difference between winners and losers.

4. Troy or James or Watt would have found a way to strip Allen on the long run or pick him off. They would have gotten pressure on him at some point in the game. or forced a turnover or stripped the ball from shakir instead of letting him run through the arms of 2 of the highest paid guys on the team HEYWARD AND MINKAH for crucial touchdowns.

5. I remember thinking as it happened, that ball that went through Pickens hands in the endzone is caught by a Santonio Holmes, Ward or Brown. Guys like that always pull through when its needed most they don't drop passes or put the ball on the ground when the chips are down in the big game.

These situations are why they call it a game of inches and Elite guys EARN all the money. Elite guys don't fold every single time in the postseason. Elite guys don't go 1-11 without their best player. They get it done when it matters most.

Lack of heart from defense on several occasions is an issue and will continue as long as the HC lets it be an issue🤷🏼‍♂️😈

Rinse and repeat is what this team
Under MT does and has done for years now. Enough