• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Games Balls, Game Goats & FU's.........Wildcard Weekend vs Browns.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
If hindsight in 20/20 looking back on this one I knew we were D00MED from the start. First play from scrimmage Pouncey snaps the ball 6 feet over Ben's head in shotgun and the ball rolls all the way to the goalline and Ben & Conner couldn't make the recovery and Cleveland jumps on it for a 7-0 lead before I even get settled in to watch the game. Three turnovers later and still in the 1st Quarter it's 28-0 Cleveland and this one had all the makings of a blowout. The team came out lackluster, unmotivated, looked asleep on both sides of the football especially on Defense with the worst tackling by our Defense I've seen all season. Four turnovers on our first six posessions of the game is too much for any football team to overcome. I'll give credit to the Cleveland Browns for being prepared, hungry & ready for this game. I'm also going to lower the B00M on Head Coach Mike Tomlin for not having this team prepared for this game! I know players play the game....yes I'm not putting blame on Tomlin for the poor start as that was all Pouncey & Ben but the Defense looked unmotivated the entire game and tackling was so sloppy. It all starts at the top....if the team is not motivated look no further than Mike Tomlin. I'm so sick and tired of people making excuses for Tomlin as Head Coach he's never had a losing season....blah, blah, blah.....What is his record when playing teams with a win percentage of .333 or less....it's not good I know that. This guy was handed a Championship caliber team with most players in the prime of their careers. I can't think of another Head Coach in the modern era of football with the exception of Barry Switzer who took over a prime Dallas Cowboys team after Jerry Jones had a falling our with Jimmy Johnson. I think it's time for Mike Tomlin to be FIRED as Head Coach of the Steelers. Sorry I'll say it....the guy just hasn't delivered a Championship despite having some of the most talented rosters in the NFL in the past 10 years and he just keeps underachieving year after year! The guy says "Oh we don't' live in our Fears" Then down 2 scores in a playoff game he punts at midfield on 4th & 1. He's an IDIOT! I don't know what's happened to our running game but it's non-existent and we became a one dimensional offense 7 weeks ago and this team has looked absolutely pathetic since and Tomlin still can't find an answer for it.....so they restrict the offense even more by going to this quick passing game which does nothing but prevents the Steelers from stretching the field. I just don't get it it's like smashing your foot with a hammer before you run a marathon.

The playoff window for the Pittsburgh Steelers has officially closed....with 21 Free Agents this off-season the Steelers will not be competitive next season for a playoff birth. It's time to rebuild the team.....I don't know what direction the front office will go in but it's going to be a drastically different looking team next season. I also think our Steelers need a fresh start and get rid of Randy Fitchner (Offensive Coordiinator), Sean Sarrett (O-Line), Keith Butler (Defensive Coodinator), Danny Smith(Special Teams) & Mike Tomlin (Head Coach) as I said above. Another late season collapse under Tomlin and this might be the worst late season collapse in his coaching tenure. Well I don't have much more to say but it saddens me that Ben could retire after this season or next year. I certainly enjoyed watching him play throughout the years if this is his last game of his career. Seeing Ben sitting on the sideline with Pouncey sitting next to him I'm sure he feels like he let the team down but he could have played a perfect game and they still wouldn't have won this one because Tomlin didn't have this team focused and prepared while the Cleveland Browns coaching staff did. A few other random thoughts here this was the Browns 7th win in 50 years in Pittsburgh, also our sack record is officially done! Ben just completed his 4th 500yd passing game......despite the loss.....he's just a system QB, Don't think that record will be broken anytime soon 4 500+ yd passing games. Hate seeing the season end like this but I guess we should be use to disappointment to end the season under Coach Tomlin.

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Alex Highsmith - High Ankle Sprain

Game Balls:
None

Game Goats:
Maurkice Pouncey - Started the snowball rolling downhill and their was no chance once that happened
Ben Roethlisberger - I've enjoyed watching him throughout his career but the 4 INT's really offset anything good he did
Terrell Edmunds - He's ******* TERRIBLE! He can't tackle, He can't catch an easy INT, He better show improvement next season or he's gone!
Mike Hilton - out of position on several throws and missed too many tackles

FU's:
Juju Smith Schuster - GROW THE **** UP! Stop giving opponents bulletin board material and motivation. Yeah he had a good game but he's become a Jackass on this roster. Seriously needs to check his ego at the door if he's going to remain a Steeler next season
Mike Tomlin - Oh Mister "WE DON'T LIVE IN OUR FEARS!" 4th & 1 down 2 scores near midfield....let's PUNT! I hope this ******* gets FIRED! He's underachieved his entire career as Steelers Head Coach with the talent he's had on his rosters
Randy Fitchner - A High School Coach would be a better option for Offensive Coordinator....the guy made our offense into a one dimensional offense making it easy for opposing Defenses
Keith Butler - He's just a dumb ******* & we need a real Defensive Coordinator who can make adjustments and scheme against an opponent

Cowhers guys are long gone aside from Ben. I've watched that decline just a few years after he left. What we have now we've seen over and over again for 11 seasons. I guess mediocrity and having a none losing season is the standard, not winning championships.

It's almost like the Steelers have all this talent and can overcome the coaching issues until late into the season when the injuries and body wear takes hold. It's then that they need the coaching schemes to keep them competitive and it just never happens. It's like clockwork with the end of year collapse becoming inevitable and you can't stop it.

I thought the sack record was regular season games with at least 1 sack? Didn't think it included playoffs. Anyone?

No Bud finally bit them in the ***....some cat playing LDE I never heard of.....two LB's playing inside thatarent named Bell.....no Joe Haden...

But wow did Ben suck when it counted.

Another inexplicable Tomlin loss. Wiith a tough rebuild coming up....

Penguin season.

I think JuJu backed up his talk unfortunately we got owned everywhere else. Chubb and Hunt could not be tackled and Landry was running free. Worst part is their oline was guys off the street and we got little pressure, push, and couldn't defend screens. The whole coaching staff should be out. We could probably lure whoever we wanted here.

Rebuild.

Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa!

This team is good...not good enough though. Too many old guys with big contracts and not enough grit. A couple young guys on D that are just average and too many damn injuries.

We need changes on the coaching staff as well, obviously.

Our division is getting better and better and the status quo will not be good enough

I don”t understand the juju hate. Could he tone the off field antics down a bit? Sure. But the kid is all heart and plays his arse off every week.

If I didn't know better, I'd say somebody paid Pouncey a lot of money to throw this game:

1) The **** snap over Ben's head on the first play just sapped any energy out of the entire team. Put them in a seven point hole fifteen seconds into the game.
2) On Watt's second short yardage carry, Pouncey gets thrown back several yards directly into the ball carrier at the snap. I've seen centers beaten cleanly through the A-gap at times, but I can't remember a nose tackle just completely blowing up a short yardage play straight backwards like this.
3) The **** snap at Ben's ankles on the 4th-and-1 from the 2 when it was already 28-0. Ben and Connor did yeoman's work there to just to be able to execute the play despite the disruption in timing.

Pouncey's errant snaps have been a problem for a while now. Time to cut the cord with this aging and grossly overpaid (and most certainly overrated) center.

Last edited:
Getting booted out of the playoffs by the Stains was unimaginable.
I give myself little consolation by the fact that we've been kicking their *** since the 90's.

If someone told me back then that it wouldn't be until the year 2020 that the Stains would be relevant, I would have taken it.

Last edited:
I don”t understand the juju hate. Could he tone the off field antics down a bit? Sure. But the kid is all heart and plays his arse off every week.

Ya. I bet he takes that with him to his next team which may have decent enough coaching to win a playoff game...

I couldn’t imagine seeing this crap live.

Buckle up for free agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Pouncey and Ben put us in a hole. The D didn't help. On the 3 int's, they could have held them to a FG or nothing maybe once or even twice but spotting them 28 and then the D collapsing at half and giving them the momentum right after we finally scored was the final nail in the coffin. Ben was a goat. But in the 2nd half, he was an all star. We need to get them from him for 60 minutes. Start a game no huddle where he is at his best. The back half of the year we started slow and lost 3 in a row. Not once did we change up how we start a game. Start fast with the no huddle. It couldn't have hurt. Now, the question is do Ben and Pouncey hang them up?

Given Tomlin's playoff record and the fact that the team usually plays like **** after a bye week or when starters are rested, I meant to bet the house on the Browns +6.5 but I forgot.

Cowhers guys are long gone aside from Ben. I've watched that decline just a few years after he left. What we have now we've seen over and over again for 11 seasons. I guess mediocrity and having a none losing season is the standard, not winning championships.

It's not only not winning championships. It's not having a chance in hell of winning championships.

No Bud finally bit them in the ***....some cat playing LDE I never heard of.....two LB's playing inside thatarent named Bell.....no Joe Haden...

But wow did Ben suck when it counted.

Another inexplicable Tomlin loss. Wiith a tough rebuild coming up....

Penguin season.

Unexplicable??? Are you kidding? Happens all the time.