• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Giants Request Permission to Interview Teryl Austin

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are still in the process of finding their defensive coordinator replacement for Keith Butler. Reports indicated that secondary coach Teryl Austin would be that replacement, but no official announcement has came from the team.

Now it appears the team could potentially lose Austin all together.

Giants requested permission to interview Steelers’ Sr. defensive asst/secondary coach Teryl Austin for their defensive coordinator job, per source. It’s uncertain whether permission will be granted because Austin is a favorite to become the Steelers’ next defensive coordinator.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 5, 2022

The Steelers don’t generally deny any request for any assistant coaches when they could get a promotion elsewhere. I don’t expect the team will deny this request unless they’re convinced they are going to promote Austin.

If Austin would be hired by the Giants he would replace Patrick Graham, whom the Steelers requested permission to interview for their defensive coordinator spot. Graham left New York for Las Vegas yesterday joining Josh McDaniels staff as the Raiders defensive coordinator.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

"Think long, thing wrong" ... Steelers are taking too long to fill these positions. To the point that they're going to be left with candidates that no one else wanted.
Kind a like how we approach FA huh? We sit on our hands and end up with bottom tier guys so if we wait too long here, to your point we will end up with the leftovers.
If the organization gives Giants permission to talk with Austin, then he’s not the Steelers guy or they wouldn’t run the risk of losing him.

If they are just going to hire Austin, what is the point of waiting?

Heck, if I'm Austin and I actually want to be a DC, I do everything I can to get the Giants gig. He knows he'll just be Tomlin's scapegoat in Pittsburgh. If he's not very confident in his abilities then he can tank the interview and stay in Pittsburgh.

"Think long, thing wrong" ... Steelers are taking too long to fill these positions. To the point that they're going to be left with candidates that no one else wanted.
That goes right in line with their bad decision making. I have been harking on it trying to will it to change. The failed to upgrade the OC and the rest is sailing along. Have a plan and attack the day, obviously.

In the past they could aford to be a little slower as they had better talent and better chance of abtaining better talent. Under this current coaching staff it seems that has gone by the way side, including coaching talent. You cant keep promoting bottom tier coaching and expect up-grade change.

Decision(s) have been not panning out as of late and there are more than one or two.

I'm sure Art 2 is hearing things and hope like hell he gets a handle on outcome.

Salute the nation

At this point the only reason Austin stays is if he DOESN'T get the NY job.

Has anyone considered that maybe the reason the Steelers are slow to fill these vacancies is because no one WANTS to coach under Tomlin? Or maybe they’ve seen the dysfunction in the organization the last few years and they are steering clear. Just a thought.

I've n
Has anyone considered that maybe the reason the Steelers are slow to fill these vacancies is because no one WANTS to coach under Tomlin? Or maybe they’ve seen the dysfunction in the organization the last few years and they are steering clear. Just a thought.
I've never hear of any coach saying they want to coach in Pittsburgh but then those are never heard public either.

I have heard players say they want to play for coach Tomlin but I am torn between thinking he may be a great coach but also may be what players call a "player's" coach which translates to paradise for lazy / lackadazical / no detail easy practices type players. I' on the ladder side of this.

Salute the nation

I've n
I've never hear of any coach saying they want to coach in Pittsburgh but then those are never heard public either.

I have heard players say they want to play for coach Tomlin but I am torn between thinking he may be a great coach but also may be what players call a "player's" coach which translates to paradise for lazy / lackadazical / no detail easy practices type players. I' on the ladder side of this.

Salute the nation

It was disheartening while watching the Senior Bowl yesterday, glancing at the streamer on the bottom of the screen and seeing all the assistants and coordinators being hired by everyone other than the Steelers.

The staff matters not, it all MT all day from here…for better or worse

Maybe I’ve just been wrong all these years and our roster talent has actually been
Sub par and MT has somehow just been keeping everything a float while coordinating the D as well as sometimes calling the offensive plays??? We’ve obviously had a HOF coach hiding all the warts (weak ownership, selfish and subpar roster talent, unqualified assistants) and somehow all he does is win

Maybe I’ve just been wrong all these years and our roster talent has actually been
Sub par and MT has somehow just been keeping everything a float while coordinating the D as well as sometimes calling the offensive plays??? We’ve obviously had a HOF coach hiding all the warts (weak ownership, selfish and subpar roster talent, unqualified assistants) and somehow all he does is win

I hear yaz Fiji Mariner, somehow I think your therory will be tested this coming season. When you have to replace not just a HOF QB, but a Ben Roethlisberger HOF QB it's not nearly as easy as some here think.

Tomlin has gotten some great talent but I think over all the talent level has definately slipped. The coaching assistants are of his doing so he would be responsible for their slip in gainsmanship / knowledge / coach up.

I just want STEELERS football regardless of football era it is. This current team / coaching / system is NOT STEELERS football.

Salute the nation

I don't think he calls offensive plays, but the plays he does call is sometimes offensive. 😁🏈