• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

I vote Democrat

I can only speak to the Broward County Regional Hospital District.

F/T jobs are hard to find, unless you're a nurse.

the P/T job posting at my local is 3 pages deep.

jus' sayin' what I see.

Broward Co. is the second largest county in Florida and one of the largest in the nation... I'm sure there hospitals are hardly comparable to most local and rural hospitals in the U.S.

I can only speak to the Broward County Regional Hospital District.

F/T jobs are hard to find, unless you're a nurse.

the P/T job posting at my local is 3 pages deep.

jus' sayin' what I see.

I don't live there. I can only share what I know from having many nurse friends and what I read in the paper.

I believe the most powerful government should be your local government. And as the form of government has further grasps, county, state, fed it has less and less power. That way if you don't agree with your town and can't change the way things are done you can literally move to a new town which you agree with their local government. If you don't like your state and how things are run, move to a new state. And the federal government should only run the interstate department and military/national security. And the federal government should not be able to do anything without a vote by the populace and popular vote wins. Mean they come up with so many things that need done they put it to a vote and once a year the people decide which they want and which they don't. And not the crap they do now more like we need a new air craft carrier and we want to build a new highway from point A to point B, yay or nay.

I would love to see a local government which gives all law abiding citizens the right to bear arms freely and has the death penalty compared to the local government which banishes guns and does not believe in capital punishment. It would so quickly solve such social issues as the town with guns and death penalty would probably have almost no crime and the one that does not crime would run rampant.

How's that government healthcare at the VA working out?

Exactly.

After the rollout of the injurious debacle known as the AHCA, if one still believes that this Gov't is capable of managing anything other than a political campaign, then you are truly mentally deficient.

I'm on the board of one hospital and know other board members of our local hospitals here and we are all losing money hand over fist... but I guess you would know better than me... thanks for the heads up.

Since you are on the board of a hospital maybe you can shed some light here... my father recently went into the hospital with acute abdominal pain. Turns out he had gallstones which in turn led to him developing pancreatitis.The treatment entailed removal of his gallbladder, very routine surgery... he was in recovery a little over an hour after they took him back to the OR... followed by 3 days of bedrest along with IV antibiotics and pain management... which was a shot of Demerol every 4-6 hours the first day and prn (as needed) the second and third day.So basically his entire treatment package, for lack of a better word, was an hour long operation, some antibiotics, somewhere around 10-15 shots of Demerol, and some blood tests when he first arrived in the ER. The bill for all of this was alittle north of $31K. How can a little more than $10 thousand a day be justified? What's even more mindblowing is that this bill doesn't include the doctors' fees. They were about $5K. If hospitals are losing money charging people $10K a day, they should hang it up.

maybe it's your State....

here in the FLA, hospitals are gonna rake.

$7 tylenols going up, up, up.....

Hospitals can charge $100 for a tylenol, they will still get paid $0.50 for it or whatever medicare has set as the price for one. That's how hospitals get paid by insurance. The billed charges are sometimes irrelevant, they are still getting their contract rate no matter what they bill in many cases.

The Obamacare solution is to just pay less. So a Dr may have gotten paid $1000 for doing surgery and now medicare says they will only get $500. Private insurance companies will start to use that same low rate because they will have to if they want to stay competitive.

Yippee, Doctors are evil rich guys, they can afford to make a bit less. Sure, today they can, but how long do they keep taking that beating before they just quit and do something else? Many Doctors will end up just cashing out.

Who replaces them? The reason people take on the crushing debt and schooling and the long hours and the huge responsibility of medicine is because there will be an eventual payoff. If they are good, they will be very well off after a decade or so.

Why become a Doctor if your success will be capped? You need to be smart to be a doctor. Smart people have career choices. More smart people who may have been doctors will choose to become a lawyer or stock broker or engineers, etc. The quality and quantity will drop off.

This is what liberals don't understand when they attack "evil" profits. It's basic human nature to seek reward. Very few people will work hard for no reward. Take away profit and you take away incentive. That is why the government is terrible at providing services. It's why the post office is in debt and UPS makes money.

The entitlement programs Social Security, Medicare, food stamps, and uneployment insurance have done more to improve the standard of living in this country over the past 80 years than anything the ******* republicans have ever done. Unions... supported by democrats of course... opposed by republicans of course... was probably the single biggest factor in creating the middle class that flourished post WWII than any other. Does it piss me off when lazy ***** abuse these programs? Yes it does. It pisses me off anytime tax payer money is spent on someone or something that isn't warranted. Just like when we spend $1.5 million dollars on ONE cruise missile, $5 million on ONE tank, or $50 million on ONE fighter jet... all of which we have plenty of and surely of which need no more. But of course we'll keep right on building them because the defense contractors we are making very wealthy with our tax dollars will keep right on kicking some of those millions right back to the politicians that make sure those contracts keep getting reapproved year after year. There's no difference in principle to giving someone taxpayer money that they didn't have to work for to giving a defense contractor $50 million to build a fighter jet that you know we have no need for and is never going to be used.

The entitlement programs Social Security, Medicare, food stamps, and uneployment insurance have done more to improve the standard of living in this country over the past 80 years than anything the ******* republicans have ever done. Unions... supported by democrats of course... opposed by republicans of course... was probably the single biggest factor in creating the middle class that flourished post WWII than any other..

Couple of problems with that statement.

# 1...Social Security is not an entitlement, we pay into a fund (that was raided by our gov't) all our working lives to ensure that we have some money left in retirement to keep us from starving to death. The gov't actually assumed it was their entitlement to grab.

# 2..The unions were formed with good reason back in the coal and iron police era ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yoGYDg&usg=AFQjCNHjdz0CtJzEtiSLcjeHIUywqQ0xqQ). Since then they have morphed into a political organization that perpetuates and protects largess in education and gov't bureaucracy. Having found inroads into gov't agencies, the SEIU has found a monopoly of 'quid quo pro' ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4oG4CQ&usg=AFQjCNHtrmcjGC-HiJYfeeWppcRGhl9H0Q ) with elected officials that ensures a constant replenishment of favorable gifts at the taxpayer expense.
Were unions necessary back in the '50's..yes....have they been corrupted and unnecessary now..yes again. If we're talkin' gov't unions now, they should never have been allowed in the first place.

View attachment 124

Last edited:
Couple of problems with that statement.

# 1...Social Security is not an entitlement, we pay into a fund (that was raided by our gov't) all our working lives to ensure that we have some money left in retirement to keep us from starving to death. The gov't actually assumed it was their entitlement to grab.

# 2..The unions were formed with good reason back in the coal and iron police era ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yoGYDg&usg=AFQjCNHjdz0CtJzEtiSLcjeHIUywqQ0xqQ). Since then they have morphed into a political organization that perpetuates and protects largess in education and gov't bureaucracy. Having found inroads into gov't agencies, the SEIU has found a monopoly of 'quid quo pro' ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4oG4CQ&usg=AFQjCNHtrmcjGC-HiJYfeeWppcRGhl9H0Q ) with elected officials that ensures a constant replenishment of favorable gifts at the taxpayer expense.
Were unions necessary back in the '50's..yes....have they been corrupted and unnecessary now..yes again. If we're talkin' gov't unions now, they should never have been allowed in the first place.

Private sector unionized workforce - 7%. Govt sector unionized workforce - 52%. The govt must be an awful place to work.

I vote Democrat because Bomma promised to make it easier to unionize even though He's killing unionized jobs. But He also promises me extended unemployment benefits unlike the evil Republicans who want me to get an actual job. It's good to be in the union.

The entitlement programs Social Security, Medicare, food stamps, and uneployment insurance have done more to improve the standard of living in this country over the past 80 years than anything the ******* republicans have ever done. Unions... supported by democrats of course... opposed by republicans of course... was probably the single biggest factor in creating the middle class that flourished post WWII than any other. Does it piss me off when lazy ***** abuse these programs? Yes it does. It pisses me off anytime tax payer money is spent on someone or something that isn't warranted. Just like when we spend $1.5 million dollars on ONE cruise missile, $5 million on ONE tank, or $50 million on ONE fighter jet... all of which we have plenty of and surely of which need no more. But of course we'll keep right on building them because the defense contractors we are making very wealthy with our tax dollars will keep right on kicking some of those millions right back to the politicians that make sure those contracts keep getting reapproved year after year. There's no difference in principle to giving someone taxpayer money that they didn't have to work for to giving a defense contractor $50 million to build a fighter jet that you know we have no need for and is never going to be used.

Unemployment insurance is also paid into just like SS.

Also, one could very well argue the point that while the economic boom that followed WWII and created a large and comfortable middle class would have happened regardless of union existence.

I'm curious about your stance on a federally mandated minimum wage.

You say there is no difference between the government paying a defense contractor and paying out money to people who don't work. How many people do unemployed people employ?

We know we have no need for fighter jets? Wow. I hope you are very young to be so naive.

You say there is no difference between the government paying a defense contractor and paying out money to people who don't work. How many people do unemployed people employ?

We know we have no need for fighter jets? Wow. I hope you are very young to be so naive.

Well to be fair to this guy if we ended the useless wars we are fighting and instituted a non interventionist foreign policy we would need a lot fewer fighter jets. But the rest of what he is saying is laughable, transfer payments do not create wealth and prosperity.

Since you are on the board of a hospital maybe you can shed some light here... my father recently went into the hospital with acute abdominal pain. Turns out he had gallstones which in turn led to him developing pancreatitis.The treatment entailed removal of his gallbladder, very routine surgery... he was in recovery a little over an hour after they took him back to the OR... followed by 3 days of bedrest along with IV antibiotics and pain management... which was a shot of Demerol every 4-6 hours the first day and prn (as needed) the second and third day.So basically his entire treatment package, for lack of a better word, was an hour long operation, some antibiotics, somewhere around 10-15 shots of Demerol, and some blood tests when he first arrived in the ER. The bill for all of this was alittle north of $31K. How can a little more than $10 thousand a day be justified? What's even more mindblowing is that this bill doesn't include the doctors' fees. They were about $5K. If hospitals are losing money charging people $10K a day, they should hang it up.

I'm not on the board of a hospital, never worked in one or wanted to work in one. I know a lot of people who have and do. I don't really know where to start, but I will start with a question.

What is it worth to you to have your father alive and/or pain free? Apparently, less than $31,000.

So basically his entire treatment package, for lack of a better word, was an hour long operation, some antibiotics, somewhere around 10-15 shots of Demerol, and some blood tests when he first arrived in the ER

This statement may have reached depths of stupid that have only been plumbed by "single payer = free market". Ron Jeremy couldn't reach bottom on this level of stupid.

What you could have done is toted your father around to various healthcare providers and offered some amount, say $10k (or whatever he is worth to you), and asked them to take care of the problem for you. You probably wouldn't have gotten very good care for that price, but hey, you got a bargain.

Instead, you went to a hospital emergency room where there was a person who spent countless hours of their lives and who knows how much money to have the knowledge to properly diagnose your father and, possibly save your life. He/she was probably standing around doing nothing while waiting for you to get there, too. Now, either that person or another person who also spent time and dollars for a surgical specialty, happened to be around (also probably doing nothing) and that person has the knowledge and ability to cut open your father's body and solve the problem. He didn't do it alone. There was another person in the room that made sure your father was anesth...asleep..the whole time and didn't have to get cut open while wide awake. This person didn't only make sure that your father was asleep but also sat there to make sure that too much of the sleepy-time drug didn't kill him.

These weren't the only two people in the room, by the way. Nurses and assistants who also spent a lot of time and money getting that knowledge were in there, too. Probably, no less than 3 of those.

With all of this knowledge in the room, what is it worth to have some reasonable assurance that the OR, the equipment and surgical tools have been properly sterilized? $5, $10? Would you want your father's life in the hands of a group of people who sloppily washed their hands and/or cleaned the equipment? Or what about the assurance that there wouldn't be some allergic reaction to medication given before, during or after which might possibly had occured had they not taken the time to look at medical charts and/or blood tests? What about, from that point forward, the extra effort required to make sure all of that material stays private?

What about the recovery room? Lots of medical professionals there to make sure that your father didn't have severe reactions to medications due to unknown allergies, that he stays comfortable and is not in pain.

So, afterwards, you could have avoided a lot of these charges by taking your father home and caring for him yourself. Why didn't you do that? Surely, you are as equally capable as these people at the hospital? After all it was only "some antibiotics, somewhere around 10-15 shots of Demerol". Was there any, by chance, extra effort incurred to make sure he didn't try to get out of bed alone and hurt himself, someone have to give him a bedpan and clean it, make sure the needles for the shots were clean, the medicines not expired, the IV's clean and sterile...any of that? Were there dozens of people within a button's push 24/7 in case he needed anything, up to and including more surgery if something went terribly wrong?

What about the cost to insure against paying Vis when you hire him to sue them and pay their own attorneys, despite all of the effort above to avoid it, something had gone wrong?

Ark - since he didn't see all that for himself, it didn't really happen. All he saw was the "*** RAPING" when he got the bill.

Ark - since he didn't see all that for himself, it didn't really happen. All he saw was the "*** RAPING" when he got the bill.

Yeah, all that shot just appears out of nowhere.

You say there is no difference between the government paying a defense contractor and paying out money to people who don't work. How many people do unemployed people

employ

I said we don't need anymore fighter jets....

I'm not on the board of a hospital, never worked in one or wanted to work in one. I know a lot of people who have and do. I don't really know where to start, but I will start with a question.

What is it worth to you to have your father alive and/or pain free? Apparently, less than $31,000.

This statement may have reached depths of stupid that have only been plumbed by "single payer = free market". Ron Jeremy couldn't reach bottom on this level of stupid.

What you could have done is toted your father around to various healthcare providers and offered some amount, say $10k (or whatever he is worth to you), and asked them to take care of the problem for you. You probably wouldn't have gotten very good care for that price, but hey, you got a bargain.

Instead, you went to a hospital emergency room where there was a person who spent countless hours of their lives and who knows how much money to have the knowledge to properly diagnose your father and, possibly save your life. He/she was probably standing around doing nothing while waiting for you to get there, too. Now, either that person or another person who also spent time and dollars for a surgical specialty, happened to be around (also probably doing nothing) and that person has the knowledge and ability to cut open your father's body and solve the problem. He didn't do it alone. There was another person in the room that made sure your father was anesth...asleep..the whole time and didn't have to get cut open while wide awake. This person didn't only make sure that your father was asleep but also sat there to make sure that too much of the sleepy-time drug didn't kill him.

These weren't the only two people in the room, by the way. Nurses and assistants who also spent a lot of time and money getting that knowledge were in there, too. Probably, no less than 3 of those.

With all of this knowledge in the room, what is it worth to have some reasonable assurance that the OR, the equipment and surgical tools have been properly sterilized? $5, $10? Would you want your father's life in the hands of a group of people who sloppily washed their hands and/or cleaned the equipment? Or what about the assurance that there wouldn't be some allergic reaction to medication given before, during or after which might possibly had occured had they not taken the time to look at medical charts and/or blood tests? What about, from that point forward, the extra effort required to make sure all of that material stays private?

What about the recovery room? Lots of medical professionals there to make sure that your father didn't have severe reactions to medications due to unknown allergies, that he stays comfortable and is not in pain.

So, afterwards, you could have avoided a lot of these charges by taking your father home and caring for him yourself. Why didn't you do that? Surely, you are as equally capable as these people at the hospital? After all it was only "some antibiotics, somewhere around 10-15 shots of Demerol". Was there any, by chance, extra effort incurred to make sure he didn't try to get out of bed alone and hurt himself, someone have to give him a bedpan and clean it, make sure the needles for the shots were clean, the medicines not expired, the IV's clean and sterile...any of that? Were there dozens of people within a button's push 24/7 in case he needed anything, up to and including more surgery if something went terribly wrong?

What about the cost to insure against paying Vis when you hire him to sue them and pay their own attorneys, despite all of the effort above to avoid it, something had gone wrong?

I build houses for a living.... Houses provide shelter that keep people from freezing to death... I guess you could say I'm saving lives with my work... I think I'll start charging $31000 dollars for every three days I work on a house...

I build houses for a living.... Houses provide shelter that keep people from freezing to death... I guess you could say I'm saving lives with my work... I think I'll start charging $31000 dollars for every three days I work on a house...

That would depend on the house you were building.

But it's always the other guy who is greedy.....

But it's always the other guy who is greedy.....

I see statements like that and then see articles like this and wonder if our gov't is the greediest of them all ?

I.R.S. Bars Employers From Dumping Workers Into Health Exchanges

WASHINGTON — Many employers had thought they could shift health costs to the government by sending their employees to a health insurance exchange with a tax-free contribution of cash to help pay premiums, but the Obama administration has squelched the idea in a new ruling. Such arrangements do not satisfy the health care law, the administration said, and employers may be subject to a tax penalty of $100 a day — or $36,500 a year — for each employee who goes into the individual marketplace.

When employers provide coverage, their contributions, averaging more than $5,000 a year per employee, are not counted as taxable income to workers. But the Internal Revenue Service said employers could not meet their obligations under the health care law by simply reimbursing employees for some or all of their premium costs.

If an employer wants to help employees buy insurance on their own, Mr. Condeluci said, it can give them higher pay, in the form of taxable wages. But in such cases, he said, the employer and the employee would owe payroll taxes on those wages, and the change could be viewed by workers as reducing a valuable benefit.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/26/u...om-dumping-workers-into-health-exchanges.html

How's that song go.....and the beat goes on, yadda yadda ditty do.

Either you are being deliberately obtuse or you possess no reading comprehension skills what so ever. Do you build houses all by yourself?

I see statements like that and then see articles like this and wonder if our gov't is the greediest of them all ?

I.R.S. Bars Employers From Dumping Workers Into Health Exchanges

WASHINGTON — Many employers had thought they could shift health costs to the government by sending their employees to a health insurance exchange with a tax-free contribution of cash to help pay premiums, but the Obama administration has squelched the idea in a new ruling. Such arrangements do not satisfy the health care law, the administration said, and employers may be subject to a tax penalty of $100 a day — or $36,500 a year — for each employee who goes into the individual marketplace.

When employers provide coverage, their contributions, averaging more than $5,000 a year per employee, are not counted as taxable income to workers. But the Internal Revenue Service said employers could not meet their obligations under the health care law by simply reimbursing employees for some or all of their premium costs.

If an employer wants to help employees buy insurance on their own, Mr. Condeluci said, it can give them higher pay, in the form of taxable wages. But in such cases, he said, the employer and the employee would owe payroll taxes on those wages, and the change could be viewed by workers as reducing a valuable benefit.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/26/u...om-dumping-workers-into-health-exchanges.html

How's that song go.....and the beat goes on, yadda yadda ditty do.

That's awesome....I feel much better about our future now knowing that a time honored and completely trustworthy entity is riding herd on and safeguarding our health care.

Either you are being deliberately obtuse or you possess no reading comprehension skills what so ever. Do you build houses all by yourself?

probably neither. there are people that consider doctors as not having "real jobs"
I've debated with these knuckle-dragging socialist ***** before. it's never a good outcome.

So, you are as dumb as you sound. Good to know.

I will type slower. You CAN charge $31k per three days for building your house. I suggest you do if you think your work is worth that. Keep in mind that some other dude who actually understands economics or, at least, the value of goods and services, is NOT charging that and will take all of your business.

Don't forget to tell your dad that he is not worth $31k to you.

I'm obtuse... My point is that there are many people that do important jobs... That doesn't give them the right to gouge the **** out of people... If it weren't for building contractors, doctors would be seeing patients in a tent. Farmers provide the food that keeps us all from going hungry.... Firefighters run into burning buildings when everyone else is running out.... How much do they deserve? My point is that $31000 for 3 days in the hospital is ridiculous... and again that didn't include the doctor's fees... which was another $5k... $36000 for gallstones. No one else thinks this is an insane amount of money?

Last edited: