• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If the Steelers trade up or down or stand pat they will draft in 1? Go on record in who you like..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
So this is sort of like a prediction round 1 scenario you say who they would pick in 1 if:

They stand pat at 20:

T Amarius Mims -if still on the board I don’t see how he isn’t BPA of needs.

If they trade up:

WR Rome Odunze - I think there is plenty of value RTs and a C approach that can be had. I don’t see a need to trade up besides getting an elite player at a need position.

If they trade down:

C Jackson Powers Johnson- I like his wrestling background it should benefit him in pass protection, and his athleticism and want to should do him well with run blocking.

Out of all the scenario's I prefer:

To trade down. There is a lot of needs too many for the amount of high draft picks available. They need a starting C and upgrade at T, a number 2 and 3 WR. A capable inside corner.

It is the final countdown !

Pick at 20: Graham Barton. I'm starting to feel there will be a run on OTs and Mims may not even make it to us, in fact he could be a Bengal. Barton is a Swiss army knife that projects best as a C/G, he could fill in wherever to put our best 5 on the field and the Steelers love versatile lineman.

Trade up: definitely would be for Rome Odunze or Taliese Fuaga. Fuaga would be most likely because he'd be the only one to probably be within striking distance, Odunze would cost too much even if they love him. I don't prefer giving up capital to trade up in this draft, I think the meat of it is at the very top and late 1st to early 3rd.

Trade down: Jackson Powers-Johnson or Ladd McConkey. This is my top scenario, and JPJ would be my choice, but I love McConkey too, and we had the ensemble at his pro day so I wouldn't rule it out if JPJ goes before our traded back pick. I'd also think they'd consider AD Mitchell and Xavier Worthy depending on who's there.

So this is sort of like a prediction round 1 scenario you say who they would pick in 1 if:

They stand pat at 20:

If they trade up:

WR Rome Odunze - I think there is plenty of value RTs and a C approach that can be had. I don’t see a need to trade up besides getting an elite player at a need position.

If they trade down:

C Jackson Powers Johnson- I like his wrestling background it should benefit him in pass protection, and his athleticism and want to should do him well with run blocking.

To trade down. There is a lot of needs too many for the amount of high draft picks available. They need a starting C and upgrade at T, a number 2 and 3 WR. A capable inside corner.

Did you mean Zach Frazier not JPJ ..... with wrestling background

Pick 20 - Mims or JPJ
Trade up - No Phuqing way, they are in upgrade mode to become a legitimate Playoff team. Not worth 2-3 picks to get one player that isn’t a OT. Even then, no.
Trade back - is Mims gone? Yes, then I would entertain moving back about 5 spots if all 3 C’s are still in play.

Make no mistake I would really like to get a OT & C in 1 & 2, even if I have to move up in round 2 to make it happen.

Depends, someone mentioned that if by 20, one or two of the only 3 centers in the draft are gone, they best get the one that's left.
The only way I don’t take the C in round 1 is if I can get Mims AND all 3 C’s are still on the board.

Trade up: I just can't see it, not for a RT, CB2, WR or C which are the current needs. Gun to my head, Fuaga.

Stay put: Fuaga , Mims/Barton

Trade Down: Barton/Latham , JPJ

Trade up: Rome Odunze. There are plenty of good OL prospects staying put. Odunze should be an absolute stud at WR.

Stay put: Amarius Mims. He simply has the most dots connected to the team and I think they value OT more than C.

Trade down: AD Mitchell. If they're trading down that far, they're passing on the OL they should just grab at 20 and probably missing out on the top 2-3 CBs. WR is a huge need as well.

Pick at 20: Graham Barton. I'm starting to feel there will be a run on OTs and Mims may not even make it to us, in fact he could be a Bengal. Barton is a Swiss army knife that projects best as a C/G, he could fill in wherever to put our best 5 on the field and the Steelers love versatile lineman.

Trade up: definitely would be for Rome Odunze or Taliese Fuaga. Fuaga would be most likely because he'd be the only one to probably be within striking distance, Odunze would cost too much even if they love him. I don't prefer giving up capital to trade up in this draft, I think the meat of it is at the very top and late 1st to early 3rd.

Trade down: Jackson Powers-Johnson or Ladd McConkey. This is my top scenario, and JPJ would be my choice, but I love McConkey too, and we had the ensemble at his pro day so I wouldn't rule it out if JPJ goes before our traded back pick. I'd also think they'd consider AD Mitchell and Xavier Worthy depending on who's there.
If they could trade back and get McConkey I'd be all.over that. Three thirds. Restock the shelves and get a second receiver. Get Centre in second. Corner, receiver DE in third.

If they could trade back and get McConkey I'd be all.over that. Three thirds. Restock the shelves and get a second receiver. Get Centre in second. Corner, receiver DE in third.
Centre. Heh heh heh heh

feel plays a bit like this
5 if Charers stay pat and minnesota doest move up for JJ
5 OT Alt
10 OT Latham
13 Fuuga
14 Fautanu
18 Faashanu
20 Mims

51 Wr Pearsell
84 CB Jackson
98 C Van Pran

They stand pat at 20:

If they trade up:

If they trade down:

I'm not liking JPJ's injury history; besides concussion issues, hip/groin issues in 2023. If they think there is a special WR in round 1, so be it, but better follow up that pick with a C and RT, then a CB with other 3rd round pick. I think 1st four picks needs to be C, RT, WR and CB one way or another.

Last edited:
Trading up is not a great plan 9 times out of 10. If you have options, trade down...
If there is a special player at a position of need I have no problem with a trade up. But this year they have multiple needs and assuming they are not going qb they are going to get the 16th best player. No need to move up. Plenty of options.